PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about stingers??

RedWhiteBlue
10-23-2008, 10:30 PM
My baby, old speed limit #55, got one in his neck tonight at Bwd and can't move his left arm without lots of pain. :(

GreenMonster
10-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
My baby, old speed limit #55, got one in his neck tonight at Bwd and can't move his left arm without lots of pain. :( It will go away. It is kind of like having a bruise on the nerve. They aren't life threatening or even a sign of injury, they just hurt like the dickens. Ice his shoulder/neck area and give him ibuprophen to reduce the inflamation. 2 in the AM and 2 in the evening should do nicely. And finally, stop babying him, he's a big boy now, he'll live. :devil:

Ranger Mom
10-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
It will go away. It is kind of like having a bruise on the nerve. They aren't life threatening or even a sign of injury, they just hurt like the dickens. Ice his shoulder/neck area and give him ibuprophen to reduce the inflamation. 2 in the AM and 2 in the evening should do nicely. And finally, stop babying him, he's a big boy now, he'll live. :devil:

You are talking to a mom.....that's REAL hard to do!!

Heck...I am going to take care of my 19 y/o tomorrow, because she is getting her wisdom teeth cut out!! :D

RWB...my youngest son got one of those stingers...laid on the field for what seemed like 30 minutes. Scared the CRAP out of me...he was fine, but sore, the next few days!!

RedWhiteBlue
10-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
It will go away. It is kind of like having a bruise on the nerve. They aren't life threatening or even a sign of injury, they just hurt like the dickens. Ice his shoulder/neck area and give him ibuprophen to reduce the inflamation. 2 in the AM and 2 in the evening should do nicely. And finally, stop babying him, he's a big boy now, he'll live. :devil: Thanks!! But the babying part is just part of it. He doesn't get hurt. He will go forever without saying anything, because he is afraid he may miss a play or something, so we knew he must have really been hurt tonight.:(

slingshot
10-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Yep, it will go away... our rule is as long as there is any weakness in the arm--no play or contact. My son had one earlier this year too.

WOS87
10-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Not sure what you're talking about here... never heard the term stinger before except in terms of wasp or bee stings.... I'm gathering it's what we call a "crick in the neck" over here in SE Texas?

Stownhorse
10-24-2008, 02:27 AM
I got one of these back in middle school. I cant even explain the pain.

Here is a good definition of what it is. http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sportsmedicine/g/burner.htm

Looking4number8
10-24-2008, 02:38 AM
My baby, old speed limit #55, got one in his neck tonight at Bwd and can't move his left arm without lots of pain. :(

Sorry to hear about that RWB.. Hope he is feeling better already! I know it must have been scary for you. Always hate it when the babies get hurt, no matter how old or big they are!

TigerFan51
10-24-2008, 06:32 AM
Thanks!! But the babying part is just part of it. He doesn't get hurt. He will go forever without saying anything, because he is afraid he may miss a play or something, so we knew he must have really been hurt tonight.:(

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about, RWB! My baby will NOT say a word to the coaches because he's so afraid that they won't let him play. His back, knees and hand hurt but he won't say anything. I've told the coaches but don't know that anything has been done for him. We don't have a trainer so I try and do any kind of treatments for him.

garciap77
10-24-2008, 06:41 AM

RWB! Sorry about your son. Hope he feels better soon. Maybe you can give those good ole boys from BW a couple of "Stingers" if they even show at the M&G! That'll teach them to run their mouths off at just a nice lady like you. Especially, the no good for nothing Lion Addict.

:D

:1popcorn:

;)

mrescape43
10-24-2008, 07:59 AM
Yes I know about stingers and it is best to remove them by scraping with a credit card rather than pulling with tweasers which might inject more venom!:D :D J/K couldn't pass it up.

Lion_Addict
10-24-2008, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
Especially, the no good for nothing Lion Addict.
:D :1popcorn: ;)

Why you friggin little ......... :foul: :mad: :tongue:

I am very sorry RWB. Yes, it's a helpless feeling seeing your boy down like that. My son has been down with a concussion and I thought my heart was gonna come out of my chest.

All this stuff on this board is just fun & games, and alotta B.S.

Things like this is real life and what's important. I hope he is doing better today.

LH Panther Mom
10-24-2008, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by WOS87
Not sure what you're talking about here... never heard the term stinger before except in terms of wasp or bee stings.... I'm gathering it's what we call a "crick in the neck" over here in SE Texas?
No, not the same. (I know all about cricks in the neck. :D ) It's an injury. One of our backs got one a couple of years ago & it lasted a few weeks, with his arm going numb periodically for no reason. :(

RWB - get him to the trainer and tell him to follow the advice to the letter. I hope it gets better soon!

garciap77
10-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Lion_Addict
Why you friggin little ......... :foul: :mad: :tongue:

I am very sorry RWB. Yes, it's a helpless feeling seeing your boy down like that. My son has been down with a concussion and I thought my heart was gonna come out of my chest.

All this stuff on this board is just fun & games, and alotta B.S.

Things like this is real life and what's important. I hope he is doing better today.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/skeeredsticker.gif

:D

CHS_89
10-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Sounds like a pinched nerve somewhere or nerve damage to me. Only time will heal this unfortunately. I'm sure there's some therapy out there that will help. Sorry to hear about this and I hope it gets better fast! Good luck.

tigerchick_2013
10-24-2008, 09:30 AM
RWB, sorry to hear about your son, hope he's feeling better.:)

boba fett
10-24-2008, 09:46 AM
That sucks for your son because those stingers hurt like hell!

All out CAT
10-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by boba fett
That sucks for your son because those stingers hurt like hell!

yea they do. Back in 1991, got one playing one of those cracker box gymnasiums in Strawn. You know what I'm talking about, the ones where you try to inbound a ball and your feet are illegal because your heal is at the wall and your toes are over the line. Chasing down a bad pass with seconds left in the game and got "stung" in the shoulder by the opposing player, hit the wall, broke my nose and the stinger hurt like hell. Couldn't raise my arm to touch my nose (okay pick) for about 5 weeks.

Still have trouble with the same shoulder every now and again.