PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater Reporters take on our game vs. Snyder

Sweetwater Red
10-23-2008, 06:53 PM
Sweetwater-Snyder rivalry set to return

Written by Ron Howell

Thursday, 23 October 2008

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/view/116255/122/

One of the state's biggest high school football rivalries is about to make a return engagement after a two-year absence. With an assist from the University Interscholastic League, which in February placed them in the same district, Sweetwater and Snyder will meet for the first time since 2005 at 7:30 p.m. Friday.
And as always, tomorrow's game at Tiger Stadium in Snyder will have major implications on the eventual outcome of the District 2-3A race.
But Sweetwater coach Kent Jackson knows the intensity for this game would be high no matter what. "It's always a good game when Sweetwater and Snyder play," he said. "It should make for a great night of football and we're excited to be a part of it."
A Sweetwater win guarantees the Mustangs (2-0) no worse than the No. 3 playoff spot even though they still have to face Brownwood and Wylie, since Sweetwater would have tie-breaker advantages over both Breckenridge and Graham, who the Mustangs have already played and defeated.
If Snyder (1-1) wins, however, the Tigers would be in good shape to reach the postseason though they also still have to play Brownwood. Snyder beat Graham 30-26 in its district opener, but blew a 14-12 halftime lead this past Friday and lost to Wylie 18-14, a loss that ended the Tigers' five-game winning streak.
Snyder's two defeats this year have been by a total of just 10 points. It began the year with a 20-14 loss to Big Spring. The Tigers edged Amarillo Palo Duro 22-20 in three overtimes for their first victory and followed that with easy wins over Lubbock Estacado (38-17), Pecos (48-6) and Lubbock Cooper (53-0) before their narrow win over Graham.
Sweetwater has yet to have a truly easy game, though the Mustangs haven't lost since a 10-6 loss to Burkburnett in its opener. Since then, Sweetwater has used a powerful running game and defense that has bent some but not broken to defeat Seminole (29-22), Monahans (17-14), Clyde (24-6), Big Spring (28-7), Breckenridge (20-6) and Graham (31-24).
Snyder lost 3,000-yard rusher Will Clay to graduation after getting to the state semifinals this past year, and is relying on a much more balanced attack in 2008. Kenneth Turner leads the team with 461 yards of 60 carries, while Chase Arrendale has 382 yards, Jesse Conner 340, Xavier Malone 339, Kel-ton Garcia 134 and Johnathan Kerr 110. In addition, Conner has completed 25 of 54 passes for 407 yards. Anthony Taylor leads Snyder's receivers with seven catches for 112 yards.
Daniel Jackson has established himself as Sweetwater's featured runner this season, as he gained over 200 yards against both Breckenridge and Graham and has rushed for 882 yards and six TDs overall. Steven Fields has rushed for 373 yards and quarterback Zach Birdwell has 306, while Rufus McCann has 288 yards and A.J. McCoy 228.
The running attack has been especially productive in district play, as Sweetwater had 431 yards against Breckenridge and 404 against Graham.
But the offense has been hurt to a degree by turnovers and penalties, as the Mustangs had four turnovers in both games and 16 penalties for 182 yards.
"We've been moving the ball well, but we've been our own worst enemey," Kent Jackson said. "We've got to play cleaner and protect the football. But we've found ways to win and when the smoke clears, it's the Ws and Ls that matter."

Stownhorse
10-23-2008, 07:00 PM
The only way Sweetwaters running game is so effective is because they always have 3 or 4 decent running backs.

TigerPride
10-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
The only way Sweetwaters running game is so effective is because they always have 3 or 4 decent running backs.

U gotta be WOS87 little brother with all your football knowledge?
U freakin genius.......

GO TIGERS!!!(the best 5-2 team in the state)

Mustangpride09
10-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by TigerPride
U freakin genius.......

At least he is intelligent enough to actually spell out the word "you."

WylieBulldog92
10-23-2008, 10:40 PM
U freakin genius.......

You in no way are the best 5-2 team in the state, get over yourself, your superstition about posting this is desperation it gets old and I'm tired of reading the best whatever your record is in the state, tired of it.

(we're 5-2 we beat you, therefore we>you)

slingshot
10-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
You in no way are the best 5-2 team in the state, get over yourself, your superstition about posting this is desperation it gets old and I'm tired of reading the best whatever your record is in the state, tired of it.

(we're 5-2 we beat you, therefore we>you) LMAO!!!:D So True, So True... "Snyder Tigers, 2nd Best 5-2 Team In The State!"

swstangs001
10-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by slingshot
LMAO!!!:D So True, So True... "Snyder Tigers, 2nd Best 5-2 Team In The State!"

i bet i could find a few better 5-2 teams

ZOHAN
10-24-2008, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by swstangs001
i bet i could find a few better 5-2 teams

I bet I could as well. :thinking:

Stownhorse
10-24-2008, 02:44 AM
U freakin genius.......

With only 320 posts, I would figure you would have more useful posts than this worthless one. "U freakin genius......."

Oh yeah, and its about to be (the best 5-3 team in the state)

Snydertigersrul
10-24-2008, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by Stownhorse

Helps to PAD the stats against defenses like Graham and Breckenridge, the two weakest teams in the district.

WylieBulldog92
10-24-2008, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
Helps to PAD the stats against defenses like Graham and Breckenridge, the two weakest teams in the district.
How do we know Snyder isn't the 2nd weakest team in the district?:thinking:

Stownhorse
10-24-2008, 03:04 PM

And Big Springs....:)

STANG RED
10-24-2008, 03:10 PM
:hand: :blahblah:
Well, two of the weakest three anyway. We play the weakest tonight. :2thumbsup

Sweetwater Red
10-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Well, two of the weakest three anyway. We play the weakest tonight. :2thumbsup

You're still going to be able to make it right?

DaHop72
10-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Well, two of the weakest three anyway. We play the weakest tonight. :2thumbsup :lies: :lies: :lies: :lies:

STANG RED
10-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
You're still going to be able to make it right?

Yep, came in last night. Got to town about 2 this morning.
I'm even thinking about heading over early enough to watch the Lady Mustangs whip the sissy tiggers in vball.

DaHop72
10-24-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm even thinking about heading over early enough to watch the Lady Mustangs whip the sissy tiggers in vball. Sadly, there is no rebuttal for this.:( :(

ivchris
10-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
How do we know Snyder isn't the 2nd weakest team in the district?:thinking:

Have they played Brownwood yet? That should settle that....:D