PDA

View Full Version : Who burns down a bon fire?

kepdawg
10-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Bon Fire structure intentionally burned by vandal

10/23/08
by Mike Lout
Respond to this story
Email this story to a friend

http://news.mywebpal.com/partners/974/images/news/ACF1870.jpg
Photo by Michael Love.

Everything burned, there was not even a sign of center pole, and nothing was left on Thursday except for a still smoking pile of ash.

The Jasper High School Bon Fire that was originally scheduled for Thursday a week ago was postponed due to the weather and was rescheduled to take place this evening. However, those plans changed this morning when someone apparently set fire to the large stack of wood and other debris that had been gathered over the last few weeks.

The volunteers of the Jasper Fire Department were called to the location behind the high school shortly before midnight when it was reported that the fire had been set.

Jasper Fire Marshal Steven Williamson is investigating the incident and asking anyone that might information about the fire to come forth.

A spokesperson for the school said that all festivities associated with the bon fire and senior parade had been postponed until further notice.

Emerson1
10-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Looks like it was a wimpy bon fire

kepdawg
10-23-2008, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Looks like it was a wimpy bon fire

Because it got burnt down!

Emerson1
10-23-2008, 05:26 PM
I have more debri in my fireplace after our fires

kepdawg
10-23-2008, 05:27 PM

Then you must be putting some strange stuff in your fireplace!

navscanmaster
10-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Bonfires can get so intense heatwise that wood can be completely consumed, with little ash left. Your fireplace won't get anywhere near as hot as a bonfire stack soaked with diesel fuel. If you look at the ground underneath one of these fires, if the right type of sand was on the ground, there will be rough glass just under the surface.

BreckTxLonghorn
10-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Not to be mean/insensitive, but am I the only one who finds ironic hilarity in all of this?

JasperDog94
10-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Not to be mean/insensitive, but am I the only one who finds ironic hilarity in all of this? Nope.;) :D :D

RedWhiteBlue
10-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Our original bonfire my senior year got torched for us the Sunday before Homecoming. Lucky for us that gave us a week to build it back and we did. We also took turns camping out keeping watch. The second one wasn't as big or as neat, but it was pretty cool.:D Fun times......

easttexan99
10-25-2008, 09:58 AM
I helped build this one!
http://tamu-and-baseball.com/pics/bonfire/1969b_large.jpg
1969 - 109'10" Burned for weeks

Gig-Em

Maroon87
10-25-2008, 12:00 PM
That's why you never publicize where the bonfire is until day of.

JasperDog94
10-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
That's why you never publicize where the bonfire is until day of. The bonfire was postponed due to weather. Plus the bonfire for Jasper is always on campus.

Maroon87
10-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
The bonfire was postponed due to weather. Plus the bonfire for Jasper is always on campus.

Gotcha....we always moved ours around to prevent just such a thing from happening.

JasperDog94
10-25-2008, 08:38 PM
This is kind of a kick in the teeth for Jasper, though. Twice the school was shut down for hurricane evacuations, then the football team looks terrible, and now the bonfire just tops it off.:(