cshscougar08
10-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Good if the kid doesn't get to play.

Bad if it's a contributor

Why is it bad?

Emerson1
10-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Should be resting and getting the game adjustments.

cshscougar08
10-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Should be resting and getting the game adjustments.

Ah yeah makes sense.

coach
10-23-2008, 03:18 PM
bad but the real problem is how long the half times are

kepdawg
10-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by coach

Then start a thread! ;)

BwdLions
10-23-2008, 03:29 PM
I know this happens frequently these days. Every time I see it, I wonder what my 'ol coach (Gordon Wood) might have told us. He'd of said something like - Do you want to be a football player or do you want to go play in the band? You're not doing both. He would have used a little different verbage than that but he wouldn't have stood for it.

Ranger Mom
10-23-2008, 03:59 PM
I have seen several Greenwood players over the years participate in both.

They do not and aren't expected to march on Friday nights.....but I am glad our coaches don't limit them and force them to make a choice.

Same with kids participating in baseball and track!!

Emerson1
10-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by coach
At least fairfield never had to play mesquite schools. They do theirs for 30 minutes.....

Emerson1
10-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

Same with kids participating in baseball and track!!
That is different though. Those events don't go on at the same time.

Ranger Mom
10-23-2008, 04:07 PM
That is different though. Those events don't go on at the same time.

They do in Greenwood!!!

When do they play these sports in Forney?

trojan37
10-23-2008, 04:29 PM
They do in Greenwood!!!

They do in West as well. I've tried to tell my stepson, a freshman, you don't have to go out for everything or try to do it all to impress us or make us happy, just do what you want to do and do it to the best of your ability. He's going to play baseball and said he wants to do track but I can't get in his head that these two will conflict with each other-some Saturday ball games along with track meets, baseball games during the week when he should be at track practice,etc. That's where some coaches start to get ticked because your performance sometimes will start to lack in one. You know how young'uns are though. I just can't get through that hard head of his.

kepdawg
10-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
They do in West as well. I've tried to tell my stepson, a freshman, you don't have to go out for everything or try to do it all to impress us or make us happy, just do what you want to do and do it to the best of your ability. He's going to play baseball and said he wants to do track but I can't get in his head that these two will conflict with each other-some Saturday ball games along with track meets, baseball games during the week when he should be at track practice,etc. That's where some coaches start to get ticked because your performance sometimes will start to lack in one. You know how young'uns are though. I just can't get through that hard head of his.

:thinking:

Emerson1
10-23-2008, 04:31 PM
They do in Greenwood!!!

Most of the meets are on saturdays, and the baseball games that mean anything are on tuesdays and thursdays.

Ranger Mom
10-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Most of the meets are on saturdays, and the baseball games that mean anything are on tuesdays and thursdays.

So....they are still done in the same season though!! Lots of our games are on Friday, same as track!!

Emerson1
10-23-2008, 05:06 PM
I meant to say friday.

The two are a lot more manageable though regardless.

marlin fan
10-23-2008, 06:52 PM
the only time our band director would ask the football boys to march at half time was if it was like a night before a big contest.

marlin fan
10-23-2008, 06:52 PM

yeah us kids think we know it all and that u dont know what ur tlking abt lol

piratebg
10-23-2008, 07:30 PM
I think it's fine. I have no problem with it so long as the kid can balance his time and give the same effort to both. If it were my son, I would encourage him in both, but I would not force him to choose between the two. That would be decision he would have to make on his own. I will not make it for him.

ctownlegend
10-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions
I know this happens frequently these days. Every time I see it, I wonder what my 'ol coach (Gordon Wood) might have told us. He'd of said something like - Do you want to be a football player or do you want to go play in the band? You're not doing both. He would have used a little different verbage than that but he wouldn't have stood for it.

We have a new band director and he FORCES our players to march at halftime...I really dont have a problem with it either way...If it was me though..i'd rather be in that locker room...

wimbo_pro
10-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Oh come on people...of course its good. Too many people forget...this whole Friday night thing is about developing kids into adults. It's about preparing them for life...and a winning football program is just a bonus, not the only goal. If you disagree with this, then are you saying that a school with a losing football program fails at raising good kids into adults?

Do you really think one or a few players not being in the locker room for the entire time will really make that big of a difference in the end result?

Everyone should encourage kids to experience and contribute as much as they can to this great American event we call High School Football. It involves HUNDREDS of kids each week at each school. They dont do this in the rest of the world...not like we do.

GreenMonster
10-23-2008, 10:25 PM
They do in West as well. I've tried to tell my stepson, a freshman, you don't have to go out for everything or try to do it all to impress us or make us happy, just do what you want to do and do it to the best of your ability. He's going to play baseball and said he wants to do track but I can't get in his head that these two will conflict with each other-some Saturday ball games along with track meets, baseball games during the week when he should be at track practice,etc. That's where some coaches start to get ticked because your performance sometimes will start to lack in one. You know how young'uns are though. I just can't get through that hard head of his. As a head baseball coach at a 2A school where sharing kids is the norm, I actually require my baseball kids that aren't Seniors to run track. They get their conditioning out of the way and I'm a firm believer that you build athletes in the weight room and on the track, so I feel like I will benefit from the added athleticism that track gives the kids. Sure, I can't start practice until 4 or 4:30 and the track coach gets to go home at 4 or 4:30, but that is a price I'm willing to pay in order to be good at everything we do.

TigerFan51
10-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Some smaller schools just about HAVE to share students in order to have enough students participating in band, drill team and color guard as well as other sports. It's just the nature of the beast for small schools!