PDA

View Full Version : Farm & Ranch Posters

Bullaholic
10-23-2008, 12:57 PM
I've asked this before, but I would be interested in knowing again---How many of you grew up, or live, on a farm, ranch, or outside of town?

CHS_89
10-23-2008, 01:02 PM
I live on a farm that's been in the family for over 120 years. Development is about to choke it out though, unfortunately.

Necks_Fan
10-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Nah, can't fool with the farm.

JR2004
10-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by CHS_89
I live on a farm that's been in the family for over 120 years. Development is about to choke it out though, unfortunately.

That sucks. There's a few still hanging on that I pass on the tollway when I go up to Stonebriar in Frisco.

CHS_89
10-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
That sucks. There's a few still hanging on that I pass on the tollway when I go up to Stonebriar in Frisco.

Yeah it does. There's still a working farm/ranch in the middle of Plano off of Rasor road. All the development just went around it. Have you seen that one JR?

JR2004
10-23-2008, 01:17 PM
I didn't live on a farm, but my parents had 15 acres that we lived on outside the city limits of Lampasas as a kid. I loved it. We had a natural spring and another creek that had a hole filled with crawdads. I remember taking one of those to school for show and tell! If I remember right someone brought a snail and it got near the bucket I had the crawdad in...lol.

We had A LOT of pets as kids because of the land we had. We had two horses (Lady and Bronson...Bronson is still alive), more dogs than I can count, several cats, doves, a couple of domesticated rabbits, hamsters, fish and two hummingbird feeders (Put my finger up there one day and man do those wings move fast!)...etc. We also had a pet squirrel (I believe we called it Lucky) that we kept for about 6 months. It was a baby and fell out of its nest so one of our dogs brought it back to the house and left it on the porch. It was a fun pet. I learned the hard way not to put a hat on while a squirrel is sitting on your head!

We also had two pet rabbits that the same dog also brought back to the house. We kept each until they were big enough to survive on their own. I want to say we called at least one of them Lucky as well. We also had dozens of deer that would come right up to the house. I remember walking right up to one, petting it and feeding it right out of my hand. They weren't scared of us at all. Fun times and good memories.

JR2004
10-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by CHS_89
Yeah it does. There's still a working farm/ranch in the middle of Plano off of Rasor road. All the development just went around it. Have you seen that one JR?

I don't know if I've passed that one. I probably have, but I can't remember it off-hand. I'll have to go out and see if I can find it next time I'm in Plano. I think at least a couple or three of the ones by the tollway are still producing some crops.

nobogey72
10-23-2008, 01:27 PM
I wasn't born on, or ever lived on, a ranch or a farm. But, I was conceived out in the country. :eek: On a dirt road out by Fort Phantom. :D

DaHop72
10-23-2008, 01:43 PM
I'm a country boy, I live south of town.:D Outside the city limits is country isn't it Bull??:thinking:

Bullaholic
10-23-2008, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
I'm a country boy, I live south of town.:D Outside the city limits is country isn't it Bull??:thinking:

Well, there are those folks who are permitted to live in the city limits, hop, and then others that they prefer live outside the city. :D

Trashman
10-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Got some 17 acres, out side of town between Early and Zephyr. We love it!:D

Bullaholic
10-23-2008, 02:13 PM
I know that the owners of bigger spreads have trouble with poachers, both in and out, of deer season.

lakers
10-23-2008, 03:12 PM
That would include me.

I am an Ag. major at tech and just about all i know is farming and ranching.

My family owns about 5 sections outside of Abilene.

44INAROW
10-23-2008, 03:14 PM
I don't own or live on a farm/ranch but I insure quite a few of them ;)

Ranger Mom
10-23-2008, 03:18 PM
I don't live on a farm....but I do live kinda out in the country on 4 acres of land....with a horse and donkey!!

Bullaholic
10-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I don't live on a farm....but I do live kinda out in the country on 4 acres of land....with a horse and donkey!!

Who gets to mow? :D

DaHop72
10-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I don't live on a farm....but I do live kinda out in the country on 4 acres of land....with a horse and donkey!! So you're like me, by Bulls definition you would live in the country. :D

RedWhiteBlue
10-23-2008, 04:20 PM
So you're like me, by Bulls definition you would live in the country. :D
Are you the donkey??:p

DaHop72
10-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
Are you the donkey??:p :kiss: :kiss: I guess I am since I don't have one or a horse and I'm the one that mows the danged 5 acres.:D

Ranger Mom
10-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Who gets to mow? :D

I have never mowed in the 13 years I have lived there!

The horse and donkey mow 2 acres....hubby mows the rest....but he just got a brand new riding mower, so he doesn't mind!!:D

RedWhiteBlue
10-23-2008, 04:38 PM
:kiss: :kiss: I guess I am since I don't have one or a horse and I'm the one that mows the danged 5 acres.:D
That figures...... can't get a woman to do anything, huh? We aren't worth shootin' are we?:rolleyes:

Trashman
10-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I know that the owners of bigger spreads have trouble with poachers, both in and out, of deer season.

We have problems from time to time with chicken rustlers and deer poachers. :mad:

DaHop72
10-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
That figures...... can't get a woman to do anything, huh? We aren't worth shootin' are we?:rolleyes: Women are good about putting stuff up. My wife is a type A person and when I can't find a tool I left out 2 weeks ago and ask where it is, guess what:thinking: she put it up because that's where it belongs.:devil:
Tends to drive a poster child type B crazy at times.:D

rockdale80
10-23-2008, 07:58 PM
We grew up on around 100 acres with around 45 head of cattle and some chickens. It is the most beautiful land you have ever seen... to me anyway.

:)

Trashman
10-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
We have problems from time to time with chicken rustlers and deer poachers. :mad:

As a matter of fact, caught Elvis rustling chickens just this morning.

http://www.extremeelvis.com/photo_gallery/images/elvis+chicken_jpg.jpg

Old Dog
10-23-2008, 08:53 PM
I was raised in the country south of Burnet and wife the same west of Comanche. We were fortunate enough to acquire a nice place between Burnet and Bertram...........lived on it since 1975 and raise Angus cattle and Boer goats!