PDA

View Full Version : 83' Daingerfield Video....

Bullaholic
10-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Always heard about 83' Daingerfield, but never saw any footage on them. I found this clip. Everything they say about this team looks truly legendary---what a "D".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9owTM9SyH0

Diocletian
10-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Every year I read at least one post about this team on this board. I guess I have no choice, but to accept the fact they were good.

Necks_Fan
10-22-2008, 09:13 PM
I asked my grandpa who was the best team he ever saw, and he told me he saw a team from Daingerfield in the playoffs a long time ago before I was born.

I asked him what year, he said early 80's.... 82-83 ish.

He said that they were playing soembody and the other team never scored. He said that was the most well rounded team he had ever seen.Excellent defense, good offense, and great coaching and ST. :thinking:

I have heard many things about that team on here, then he told me that too.

They were good. He says the second best team he ever saw was Wimberley a few years ago. 04 maybe? 05?

Beat us 62-7 in the playoffs in the 2nd round I think. Won a state championship as well I believe.

And we are talking about small schools. Sure he has seen bigger schools.

He ranks the 89 Needville Bluejays up there as well.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
Every year I read at least one post about this team on this board. I guess I have no choice, but to accept the fact they were good. but this is the first time i seen a video of this team, i remember their season but just thru reading the newpaper.

Diocletian
10-22-2008, 09:29 PM
The last 2 years post's had youtube video links in them.

I admit they are pretty good, but it's hard to judge if they are the best ever, maybe they just played a weak schedule...you never really know.

JR2004
10-22-2008, 09:36 PM

I admit they are pretty good, but it's hard to judge if they are the best ever, maybe they just played a weak schedule...you never really know.

I've seen the Youtube video a few times. They were a great team. The only teams from our hometown that could've given them any kind of problem would've been the 93 and 94 teams. Daingerfield beat Sweeny 42-0 for the state title that year. I'm fairly certain they weren't weak because we saw them a decade later in the playoffs our last season in 3A and they were ranked #2 that year when we beat them in the 2nd round. They had plenty of great athletes on that team (Former Longhorn Cedric Woodard) and I imagine they had some great ones back in 83 as well.

I actually met a few folks from Daingerfield earlier this year at the Celina game. We sat next to a man who was really nice and he pointed out all the guys in the stands who played on the 83 team. He was an older man who is apparently on the school board out there. He had some great stories about that team. No one in 3A has ever really had as dominant a run through the schedule as they did that year. They beat a 4A semi-finalist that year (Carthage) in non-district.

Buckeye80
10-22-2008, 09:52 PM

They played Carthage that year. Carthage lost later in the 4A State Semi-finals that year. Daingerfield beat them something like 42-6.

Their schedule wasn't too terribly weak.

WylieBulldog92
10-22-2008, 09:59 PM
Why aren't local sportscasters this good anymore?

NastySlot
10-22-2008, 10:14 PM

I saw them....and I have seen a lot of football....they were very good and most believe they were the best....your kidding about a weak schedule....have you ever seen the talent on most east texas teams....here is what i remember about that team during that time......local steel plant was layoff a lot and that town rallied around the team and those kids gave the community something good when they needed it.....and odd fact....they never traveled in charter buses.....they were Superstitious so they traveled in school buses...the last time they had taken a charter they lost.

they had talent.

WylieBulldog92
10-22-2008, 10:15 PM

You're right there's never good teams in the playoffs :hand: :rolleyes:

Diocletian
10-22-2008, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
You're right there's never good teams in the playoffs :hand: :rolleyes:

Lately every team with just a couple wins gets in...

Necks_Fan
10-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Lately every team with just a couple wins gets in... Yea, but what about the teams in the later rounds? They suck too?

jambo67
10-22-2008, 11:35 PM
Daingerfield in the early 80's and Cuero in the 70's and 80's probably had some of the best teams in all of Texas High School history. They would match up well with the best teams this year.

coachkiss
10-22-2008, 11:59 PM
The '83 team had four NFL players in its secondary. I'm pretty sure those four won state in the sprint and mile relay that year as well.

I think I'm correct in those statements. It would be easy to check, but it's late.

Emerson1
10-23-2008, 12:20 AM
Is that Floyd Casey they are playing at?

Txbroadcaster
10-23-2008, 12:57 AM
Lately every team with just a couple wins gets in...

not in 83 only the best got in

Keith7
10-23-2008, 01:37 AM
no doubt, 40 to zip

coach
10-23-2008, 01:39 AM
the one thing i notice and its nothing against dangerfield but you always here older ppl talk about how kids nowadays celebrate whereas back then they never did.Well i just saw 2 or 3 celebrations after they scored. IMO celebrations are what make the game more exciting so please elders stop bickering over something that has been going around for years. o and that defense looked absolutely amazing..i wonder how they would fare against a spread type offense?

charlesrixey
10-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
They played Carthage that year. Carthage lost later in the 4A State Semi-finals that year. Daingerfield beat them something like 42-6.

Their schedule wasn't too terribly weak.

longview news-journal (http://www.news-journal.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/communities/sideline/entries/2008/06/26/more_thoughts_on_the_1983_dain.html)

full results (http://texashsfootball.com/board/index.php?showtopic=10138)

the score against carthage was 10-6 (interception return)

aingerfield 35 Kilgore 2 (4-A Kilgore secured a safety against Daingerfield's offense)
Daingerfield 14 Gilmer 0 (6-4 3-A team)
Daingerfield 10 Carthage 6 (4-A State Semifinalist Carthage (11-3 record) intercepted a pass and returned it for a touchdown. Extra point no good)
Daingerfield 27 Linden-Kildare 0 (Linden-Kildare 7-3-1 3-A playoff team)
Daingerfield 42 Omaha Paul Pewitt 0 (Paul Pewitt finished 3-7 in 3-A)
Daingerfield 32 Hughes Springs 0 (Hughes Springs 3-7 in 3-A)
Daingerfield 76 Queen City 0 (Queen City 0-10 in 3-A)
Daingerfield 48 DeKalb 0 (DeKalb 6-4 in 3-A)
Daingerfield 45 Hooks 0 (Hooks 5-5 in 3-A)
Daingerfield 56 New Boston 0 (New Boston 6-4 in 3-A)

The Playoffs
Bi-District: Daingerfield 43 Clarksville 0 (Clarksville 4-7)
Area: Daingerfield 22 Robinson 0 (Robinson 11-1)
Regional: Daingerfield 46 Kaufman 0 (Kaufman 12-1)
Quarterfinal: Daingerfield 51 Gladewater 0 (Gladewater 12-2)
Semifinal: Daingerfield 42 Post 0 (Post 13-2)
State Championship: Daingerfield 42 Sweeny 0 (Sweeny 12-2-2)

trojan37
10-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Is that Floyd Casey they are playing at?

Yes it is. I remember when this game was played, I was 13 years old. I wanted to go to the game that night but it too cold and my dad wouldn't let me go, but my dad and brother-in-law went. My dad said that was the most unbelievable performance he had ever saw in a high school football game. All he could talk about was the Daingerfield defense. He also said that close to the end of the game Sweeny lined up for a long field goal attempt and the people from Daingerfield went nuts that they were about to give up 3 points, but they didn't. I saw this video before and those 2 guys crack me up. "We gonna win about 40 to zip!" HAHA, GIT R DUN!

underware
10-23-2008, 09:36 AM
When I read the headline, I was thinking of Rodney Daingerfield. Boy, I'm sick.

trojandad
10-23-2008, 09:59 AM
daingerfield was the best overall team i've seen, closely followed by earl campbell's 74 tyler team with his brother robert leading the defense....the best "team" of boys i ever saw getting the most out of their talent was the 75 ennis team....while winning state their defense led the state that year in all the major categories without one man being named to any of the all state defensive teams, not even honorable mention, just got the most out of some slow, undersized cowboys....

big daddy russ
10-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by coachkiss
The '83 team had four NFL players in its secondary. I'm pretty sure those four won state in the sprint and mile relay that year as well.

I think I'm correct in those statements. It would be easy to check, but it's late.
I want to say that there were a total of six future NFL players on that team, but could be wrong. Someone (maybe Matt or txbroadcaster) brought it up once a while back.

The thing is, there were a couple of future-NFLers on that Sweeny team, too, along with quite a few more who went on to the college ranks. If anyone from Sweeny remembers that team, maybe ya'll could help us out.

Sweeny was anything but a weak team, they just ran into that legendary D'Field team.

LH Panther Mom
10-23-2008, 10:38 AM
We have a poster, MARLINDOGS, who played on the '83 Daingerfield team. :)

trojan37
10-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
We have a poster, MARLINDOGS, who played on the '83 Daingerfield team. :)

Thomas Everett? Who? What's his name?:D

LH Panther Mom
10-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by trojan37
Thomas Everett? Who? What's his name?:D
I don't know that he'd want his full name on here (haven't talked to him in a while), so I'll pm you.

LH Panther Mom
10-23-2008, 10:47 AM
MARLINDOGS (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=58140)

jambo67
10-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by trojandad
daingerfield was the best overall team i've seen, closely followed by earl campbell's 74 tyler team with his brother robert leading the defense....the best "team" of boys i ever saw getting the most out of their talent was the 75 ennis team....while winning state their defense led the state that year in all the major categories without one man being named to any of the all state defensive teams, not even honorable mention, just got the most out of some slow, undersized cowboys....

A few of those guys became coaches and I played for them and some of the coaches who were on the '75 staff. They were still intense and hated two-a-days so we had all day workouts with with maybe an ice break mixed in if practice was going well and we deserved a measley handfull of ice. When I went to bootcamp it was like a payed vacation, got more sleep and I even had the strength left over to eat.

trojandad
10-23-2008, 04:09 PM
they WERE tough.....it was just a strange team, as they lost to a really inferior athens team for the first game and looked like anyone could run and score on them (was a low scoring game but that was due to athens mistakes because they moved the ball on ennis)....then tied the next game and half way thru that game they just shut waco hewitt down completely and did that for the rest of the year.....have always wanted to ask one of those guys what snapped them around that year....

Emerson1
10-23-2008, 04:20 PM
If they celebrated like that today people would be calling them classing and wanting their heads on a stick

trojan37
10-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
If they celebrated like that today people would be calling them classing and wanting their heads on a stick

I thought that myself. You so much as fart and the ref smells it now and you're gettin flagged.

Bullaholic
10-23-2008, 04:24 PM
You so much as fart and the ref smells it now and you're gettin flagged.

Would that be the "Personally Foul" penalty? :D

jambo67
10-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by trojandad
they WERE tough.....it was just a strange team, as they lost to a really inferior athens team for the first game and looked like anyone could run and score on them (was a low scoring game but that was due to athens mistakes because they moved the ball on ennis)....then tied the next game and half way thru that game they just shut waco hewitt down completely and did that for the rest of the year.....have always wanted to ask one of those guys what snapped them around that year....

This is the story I was told by one of the players. Coach Essary got in the face of one of the linebackers during a pre game pep talk and accused him of not hitting anyone all year and asked the linebacker when he planned to hit somebody. According to legend the LB punched the coach right in the nose. Holding his bloody nose on and on his knees the coach said "It's about GD time! I want all of you to hit like that!" the rest is history.

trojandad
10-23-2008, 05:46 PM
i heard that story once before from a kid from ennis at my college, found it hard to believe at the time but hearing it again makes me think there might be something to it.......

jambo67
10-23-2008, 07:00 PM
If somebody ever wrote a book about the 3A powerhouses of the 70's and 80's it would no doubt be interesting. I am sure the stories about what took place on the practice fields and in the fieldhouses would be better than "Friday Night Lights." What happened off the field very likely definded Daingerfield , Cuero and 3A Ennis at the time. The fans just never had a clue. Not sure it would all be true but the victors write history. In Ennis the relationship between the coaches and the seniors changed the Monday that followed the last game of the season and the coaches opened up and told war stories on a personal level, I cant remember ever hearing the same story twice about that '75 season and most of the stories took place off the field.

kepdawg
10-23-2008, 07:05 PM
The real question here is could 83 D'field beat the Kansas City Chiefs? :thinking:

coach
10-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
The real question here is could 83 D'field beat the Kansas City Chiefs? :thinking:

no that was a stupid question

trojandad
10-23-2008, 08:01 PM
SOOOO true....my senior year our coaches changed us to drinking unsweet tea at breaks instead of water and salt tablets, they said it was because bear bryant held seminars over the previous summer telling all the high school coaches attending it that he quit feeding his kids salt tablets and that unsweet tea rehydrated the body better (back before gatorade)....

years later i was dating a girl whose brother was assistant pro at the woodlands and bear bryant attended a charity tourney there...we got to sit at his table and when talk got slow i mentioned the unsweet tea change that was supposed to be his concept and he just busted laughing, said that everytime he visited texas someone related the tea to him as his teaching, but said he had never fed tea to a kid in his life and wouldn't play a kid who was a "tea sip" (obvious knock on UT, having been a former A&M coach)....he didn't have a clue on how it got related back to him but said he should have been smart when he first heard the rumor was related to him and hit up lipton for a spokesman fee.....

he also said, in sailor words and tones, that he didn't get as much teaching from darrell royal about the wishbone as texas rumors were saying.....

so you're right, the 60's and 70's had their tales and rumors...God bless everyone of them.....:clap:

jambo67
10-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Bear Bryant's workout philosophy no doubt impacted that era as well. I think anyone who ever played then that saw the movie "JUNCTION BOYS" could relate. The first day of two-a-days I was in the best shape of my life, the last day I was in the worst.
Mental toughness was the only virtue that mattered.

wimbo_pro
10-23-2008, 09:09 PM
I thought that myself. You so much as fart and the ref smells it now and you're gettin flagged.

83 was just at the beginning of the "celebration" thing. Billy "White Shoes" Johnson (Houston Oilers) can be credited with kicking it off in a big way, followed by Butch Johnson (Cowboys) and others. That was in the very late 70's and early 80's.

I agree that celebrating the way we see it today is ridiculous and absurd. A guy makes a routine and expected tackle, and he pops up and runs around the field like he's a jet or something, beating his chest like an idiot. Ridiculous. Do something impressive before acting like you invented doing your job.

Ranger Mom
10-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by coach
no that was a stupid question

You haven't been around long enough to "get it!"

DaHop72
10-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
The real question here is could 83 D'field beat the Kansas City Chiefs? :thinking: I think they could take them in double overtime, as for the "other" team they just couldn't get it done.:D

Necks_Fan
10-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
83 was just at the beginning of the "celebration" thing. Billy "White Shoes" Johnson (Houston Oilers) can be credited with kicking it off in a big way, followed by Butch Johnson (Cowboys) and others. That was in the very late 70's and early 80's.

I agree that celebrating the way we see it today is ridiculous and absurd. A guy makes a routine and expected tackle, and he pops up and runs around the field like he's a jet or something, beating his chest like an idiot. Ridiculous. Do something impressive before acting like you invented doing your job. I don;t know about you, but I REALLY like to see our guys get pumped after they make a sdtop or sack or something.

That incresed energy and enthusiasm is what almost got us a W versus a stout El Campo squad.

Our Defense came up huge in the 4th qt of that game and our team was going nuts. I LOVED every second of it.

West22
10-23-2008, 09:45 PM
I watched the state championship game against Sweeny I think it was late third quarter before they finally got a first down on a penalty.Daingerfield could have beaten them much worse .Threw the years I have watched Cureo ,South lake carrol <when they were 3a>Sealy with Eric Dickerson,Gilmer and Liberty Hill , but I think with the exception of Sealy, that any of the rest would have diffculty in scoring against their defense .I had a good friend who was coaching at a 4a school in the callalan dist who watched them that year and he felt their defense could have stopped any team in any class of the state .He was not sure how well their offense could have done against 5a teams ,but their was no doubt about their defense.