PDA

View Full Version : Snake in classroom

lakers
10-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Venomous snake bites 2 students in class

Two high school students bitten by a venomous snake in science class are recovering at an East Texas hospital.

School officials in Big Sandy said Tuesday the students were bitten by a cottonmouth snake their teacher had misidentified as nonvenomous. They were taken to a hospital Monday when their hands began swelling.

Big Sandy Superintendent Scott Beene said Tuesday the students are OK but remain hospitalized for observation. The snake was given to a nearby zoo.

Beene said the school district would revisit its policies about bringing animals on campus. -- Associated Press

Link (http://reporternews.com/news/2008/oct/21/venomous-snake-bites-2-students-in-class/)

Trashman
10-22-2008, 05:53 PM
How do you misidentify this as nonvenomos?

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa278/arguy1973/cotton7.jpg:(

Hupernikomen
10-22-2008, 07:28 PM
I would imagine it wasn't a fully matured moccasin, but yeah you would hope a Biology teacher would recognize a triangular head as bad when they see one.
And for goodness sake when in doubt ask someone who knows.

navscanmaster
10-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
How do you misidentify this as nonvenomos?

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa278/arguy1973/cotton7.jpg:(
That makes my skin crawl just looking at that. I am not scared of snakes, but I sure as hell respect them! If you are close enough to see a cottonmouth in that frame of reference, consider yourself bitten!

Necks_Fan
10-22-2008, 09:54 PM
When I was a freshman, there was a rat in our Algebra 2 class.

Boy, that did not go over well with some people.

lostaussie
10-23-2008, 08:07 AM
Venomous snake in classroom bites 2 students
Cottonmouth was misidentified in science class, Big Sandy superintendent says

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Administrators at Big Sandy Independent School District are reviewing their policy on letting students bring wild animals to school after a scare this week with a venomous snake.

Two Big Sandy High School students remained in a Tyler hospital Tuesday after being bitten by a cottonmouth snake during a science class Monday afternoon.

"It's not uncommon for schools to have different animal species in science labs, but a venomous snake — we made a mistake in identification," Superintendent Scott Beene said. "If I'd have known, or the teacher would have known, it would not have been in the district."

The students are expected to be fine, but probably will remain in the hospital for a couple of days for observation, Beene said after visiting the students Tuesday.

"They were both doing well and were feeling pretty good," he said. "They both had smiles on their face and were feeling a lot better today than they did yesterday."

Beene would not identify the students or the hospital.

The snake was one of several wild animals that students had taken in to the high school biology lab this school year, Beene said. The teacher, believing it to be nonvenomous, kept it in a cage in the lab.

On Monday, the students were at the snake cage during a lesson, after being asked once by the teacher to leave that area, Beene said.

"When (the teacher) looked up, they had one of the snakes out of the cage," Beene said. "A second later she heard one of them say, 'It just bit me.' "

The students were taken to a hospital immediately, Beene said.

School officials on Tuesday morning took the snake to the Caldwell Zoo in Tyler, where staff identified it as a cottonmouth, also known as a water moccasin.

A bite from a cottonmouth can be fatal, and symptoms usually begin immediately, according to information from the U.S. National Library of Medicine. Symptoms include swelling, weakness, numbness and tingling, difficulty breathing, nausea and a weak pulse.

Wildlife biologist Charlie Muller with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department said cottonmouths are common in the area and are usually found near water. They are an aggressive species.

People who don't have much experience with snakes could confuse a cottonmouth with a rat snake, Muller said. A way to tell the two apart is by looking at the snake's head: the head of a cottonmouth is triangle-shaped and is wider than the body width, while a rat snake's head is the same width as its body.

Beene said he's not aware of any previous incidents in which a wild animal brought to school posed a problem.

"In a biology class like that, seeing life cycles and different animals is a part of that," Beene said. "But we definitely wouldn't want it to be a threatening situation in any way, and a venomous snake on school grounds is not something I would want."

Phil C
10-23-2008, 08:16 AM
You have to be very careful with snakes and other animals in the classroom.

Also mercury is popular with kids but it is deadly poison and hard to control and if it gets into your system it can be fatal as well as damage your system. Kids should not play with mercury or snakes.

:mad:

raider red 2000
10-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
You have to be very careful with snakes and other animals in the classroom.

Also mercury is popular with kids but it is deadly poison and hard to control and if it gets into your system it can be fatal as well as damage your system. Kids should not play with mercury or snakes.

:mad:

can we give mercury to the snakes ????

bobcat1
10-23-2008, 12:59 PM
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa278/arguy1973/cotton7.jpg

BANG BANG BANG! What kind was it?

Phil C
10-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
can we give mercury to the snakes ????

Not at all! It is too risky because someone might decided to make and eat some snake pie and get poisoned.

blowfish
10-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Reckon who gets to pay those hospital bills?

lakers
10-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by blowfish
Reckon who gets to pay those hospital bills?

I would say the dumba$$'$ who were trying to pet a SNAKE!!!:tisk: :redxpoke: