PDA

View Full Version : Marlin HC Jerry Malone resigns

trojan37
10-21-2008, 07:07 PM
From KWTX News Channel 10 in Waco:

(October 21, 2008)--News 10 sports has confirmed that Marlin head football coach Jerry Malone resigned this afternoon.

Sources say Coach Malone met with his players during the athletic period and informed the team that he was leaving the program.

Malone was in his 16th season as Bulldogs head coach. Marlin is 2-and-5 this season, with a 1-and-1 record in district 20-2A. Malone's career record at the school was 130-and-58.

Marlin lost its first three games of the 2008 season before beating Mart in Week 3. Friday night, the Bulldogs picked up their second victory of the year with a 20-to-18 win at Hearne.

The Dogs host Rosebud-Lott this Friday.

http://www.kwtx.com/sports/headlines/31972579.html

marlin fan
10-21-2008, 07:35 PM
omg what the heck is going on over there in Marlin???

GetRDoneStangs
10-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Coach Malone is a class act.......I worked with him extensively when they came to play in the TSTC Sammy Baugh Classic last year. They travelled an extra 200 miles to move the game......to play in a playoff atmosphere...with snyder ..only 30 miles from home.....that took guts. WE all know the tiggers won this game..and well, lets leave it as Good Luck to Coach Malone!!

Pudlugger
10-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Sorry to hear this. Coach Malone was a formidable opponent of the
Valastro era Leopards. He always got his team ready to play and was in my opinion one of the best 3A coaches around. Good luck and God Bless.

popcorn screen
10-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Al Davis syndrome - just win baby

eagles_victory
10-21-2008, 10:30 PM
He lost control of the team in a game vs Teague they committed around 8 personal fouls and had players walk off the field in the middle of the game.

formermbcouns
10-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Good luck, Coach. Thanks for giving us fans so many good and exciting years at Marlin. We wish you the best.

Bull's-eye
10-22-2008, 12:37 AM
Coach Malone always invited us to join him on the sidelines at several playoff games and even treated us to join the team for pizza. I hope the best for him and the Marlin team. I always admired how he handled his players and that he would do the very best with the hand that was dealt him. I like to see him stay in coaching and would love to see him get hired by a larger school. Good luck coach and hope they (Marlin) gives Kevin a shot at the head job.

bigcat8
10-22-2008, 01:06 AM
jerry is a good coach and I wish him luck... He always was good to me and I appreciate him for it.. I was allowed to spend some time with his program during their state final run and I tell you... It takes a special man to be the head coach at marlin america and jerry was that man for many of years and did well. good luck to marlin in finding his replacement ... Good luck big dawg, you will be missed....

OldBison75
10-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Coach Malone has continually taken a group of good athletes mixed with a bunch of troubled you men and molded them into good football teams. For anyone that is familiar with Marlin, the town has many problems that make life difficult and like any small town, a coach has to walk a fine line to satisfy the community and be true to his own values. Coach Malone did that for many years and was succesful. I hate to see him leave this program, but if he still wants to coach, he will find a good job. Mnay schools would love to have a man of his class and reputation leading thier young men on the football program. If you ask some of his gradulates, they will tell you that he was more than a coach, he was thier friend. No statement tells more about the man. GOOD LUCK COACH.

BU97
10-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Crazy! I heard that there was a helmet throwing incedent but did not know that it was that serious. Malone has a guy ready to take over?

Johnny Utah
10-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Watched Marlin vs. La Grange at Waco ISD stadium, Great game. the Year LG won state. Marlin has seemed like a tough place to coach and teach. Good luck to him.

TxAthlete
10-22-2008, 11:06 AM
This was posted on centexfootball.com's message board by Minister Slugger

I Want To Clear The Air Before The Rumors Start Filling The Air Waves & Chat Boards About Head Coach Jerry Malone. I Am One Of His Staff Members & Have Worked With Coach Malone Closely For 4yrs & Have Known Him For at Least 15yrs. The Reason For Coach Malone's Sudden Leave Was Due To Medical Reasons. This Was Very Heart Breaking For Coach Malone, The Coaching Staff & Our Kids As He Broke The News To Us On Yesterday..So I'm Asking Everyone Who Knows Coach Malone & The Kind Of Man He Is; To Support & Pray For Him. "This Decision Was The Toughest Decision That He's Ever Had To Make In His 38 Years Of Coaching, But Felt That It Was Neccessary That He Resign As Of Now; He Stated." So Before Anyone Goes Bad Mouthing This GREAT MAN, As I'm Sure Many Rumors Will Circulate...It Was On His Own Will That He Immediately Resigned. I Know That Everybody Is Wondering What Marlin Will Do Now That Jerry Malone Is Gone?....The Answer To That Question Is This: Make No Mistake About It!!! We Will Continue To Play Hard & Compete For The District Championship As Well As The State Championship. This Was Coach Malone's Request That We "Continue To Compete & Go After It", Despite Of His Departure From The Program. We Have A Group of Talented Coaches & Athletes, That's Very Capable Of Getting The Job Done, Despite The Odds That Surrounds Us. We Will Move On, Though The Wound Is A Deep One & We Will Truly Miss Our Coach!!!!!
Please Pray For Our Program As We Face This Tough & Sudden Turn...THANKS & GOD BLESS,

P.S.
A Knock Down Is Not A Knock Out.....
A Set Back Only Leads To A Come Back.....
PLEASE BELIEVE THE DOGS ARE NOT KNOCKED OUT & WE WILL COME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Minister Slugger (George Stricklin)

:(

OldBison75
10-22-2008, 11:43 AM
I am so sorry to hear that Coach Malone has a medical condition that forced this resignation. I hope that all works out for him and his family in the end. Our prayers are with him and his family. Please understand that we all recognize this man is a quality person and coach and were not intending to question his reasons, but to express our hopes that he and the Marlin program both could work through this setback and move forward. I wish only the best for the coach.

trojandad
10-22-2008, 01:17 PM
all our prayers...thanks for slowin the rumor mill....

Rabid Cougar
10-22-2008, 07:39 PM
This no rumor from
KWTX Channel 10 Website

(October 22, 2008)--Billy Johnson has been named the interim head football coach at Marlin High School. The former offensive coordinator takes over for Jerry Malone, who resigned on Tuesday.

Marlin Superintendent Ray Matthews tells News 10 that Johnson will coach the team for the remainder of the season. Once the season is over, he will conduct a search to find a full-time replacement.

News 10 reached Jerry Malone by phone earlier today, and he told us that handcuffed in the last few weeks, but not arrested. He said that the incident did play a part in his resignation.

He declined to discuss details of the incident over the phone, but did say that he met with Matthews yesterday and Malone's resignation was part of the deal that they reached.

Malone was in his 16th season as Bulldogs head coach. Marlin is 2-and-5 this season, with a 1-and-1 record in district 20-2A. Malone's career record at the school was 130-and-58.

Marlin lost its first three games of the 2008 season before beating Mart in Week 3. Friday night, the Bulldogs picked up their second victory of the year with a 20-to-18 win at Hearne.

The Dogs host Rosebud-Lott this Friday.

popcorn screen
10-22-2008, 08:46 PM
:stirpot:

offduty
10-23-2008, 08:35 AM
saw the news last night and they interviewed coach malone....he said an incident happened at a bar last weekend in which the police we called to the scene and for the first time in his life he was handcuffed, although not for long, he went on to basically say that times are changing in marlin and they're not the way they used to be. he said after the year is over he hopes to be able to find another coaching job. that being said i wish the best of luck to coach malone as well as the marlin bulldogs as they go their separate ways

trojan37
10-23-2008, 08:44 AM
Come to West, please!

trojandad
10-23-2008, 09:43 AM
i respect coach a lot, and this incident doesn't take away from that, but a high school coach in a bar, especially during the season? is the disease that txathlete spoke of possibly alcoholism? i ask respectfully, being a former alcoholic myself....

BU97
10-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks for clearing the air on this.
That is the thing that I hate about internet bulletin boards, someone posts something and then it is taken as the gospel truth. Good Luck to Coach Malone and the Marlin coaches.

OldBison75
10-23-2008, 10:03 AM
The truth of these rumors is unknown. However, I know many people, coaches included that go to bars and drink a few. I also know that sometimes they get caught up in situations that result in law enforcement getting involved. If the incident described really happened and Malone was handcuffed, then I respect him even more for recognizing he has a problem that needs attention. I further say that he is setting the right kind of example for his former team by admiting a mistake and problem and stepping down, effectively punishing himself, as he would have punished a player for a similar incident. To Coach Malone and his family I send my best wishes and hope that whatever the situation, you bounce back on your feet and continue coaching. Somebody will be getting a great coach.

trojandad
10-23-2008, 10:15 AM
musta struck a nerve in someone.....:thinking:

OldBison75
10-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Nope, no nerves from me since I don't drink, but I do respect anyone that can realize that he or she has a problem and especially someone that will expect no less from himself that he expects from others. His team has rules about drinking and he violated them--he acepted his self-imposed punishement like a man.

dutchman
10-23-2008, 10:28 AM
I doubt that this will be the end of the conversation, but here is the link to the story from the Waco Tribune Herald's web site.

Link: High School Notebook Oct 23, 2008 (http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/content/sports/highschools/stories/2008/10/23/10232008wacnotebook.html)