PDA

View Full Version : UIL approves some changes...

kaorder1999
10-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Track: If an athlete qualifies for Regionals or is an alternate they can now compete in whatever event they choose to in a Regional Qualifiers Meet. In the past they were only allowed to compete in events in which they have qualified.

Softball: Moved up starting date for practice to match baseball

Golf: Coaches will now be allowed to talk to their golfers inbetween holes....

trojandad
10-21-2008, 10:26 AM
So if you qualify for the shot, you can run the 100 dash? This is gonna make for some great meets. Lol

kaorder1999
10-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by trojandad
So if you qualify for the shot, you can run the 100 dash? This is gonna make for some great meets. Lol

correct. in the past you were only SUPPOSED to compete in the events in which you qualified but that was a rule that was broken REGULARLY!!

Pick6
10-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999

Oklahoma is almost finished with Softball already.

95mustang
10-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Pick6

Well is this because high school football in Oklahoma is boring and not up to par with Texas. :devil:

NastySlot
10-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Pick6

idk...but oklahoma use to have two seasons...fastpitch in the fall and slow in the spring........good and bad points to this ...best point is girls come in from summer travel ball already playing and that season is winding down....bad...elite players need the fall to go to exsposure tourneys with travel ball squads......and i was told high school volleyball is awful in ok....so softball probably hurts volleyball.

BwdLion_80
10-21-2008, 12:01 PM

Softball already starts 4 days earlier than baseball does.

kaorder1999
10-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion_80
Softball already starts 4 days earlier than baseball does.

maybe I misunderstood it...nevermind...here is the press release!

UIL approves softball, golf, track proposals

10:28 PM CDT on Monday, October 20, 2008

From Staff Reports

The University Interscholastic League's legislative council approved proposals to move up the start of softball practice to coincide with baseball, allow golf coaches to communicate with their players between holes and allow regional track and field qualifiers and alternates to enter any event at a regional qualifiers meet. The council opted to study a proposal for indoor track and field.

Randy Jennings

BILLYFRED0000
10-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Track: If an athlete qualifies for Regionals or is an alternate they can now compete in whatever event they choose to in a Regional Qualifiers Meet. In the past they were only allowed to compete in events in which they have qualified.

Golf: Coaches will now be allowed to talk to their golfers inbetween holes....
I sure did not understand why the UIL would not allow people to talk to the golfers. My daughter played and was good. But it was tough to walk with her on a tourney and not talk.

BwdLion_80
10-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Maybe they mean that softball will be allowed to start on 1-23 instead of 1-26 since baseball starts on 1-30. That would give them both the same amount of practice time before scrimmages start.

DaHop72
10-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
I sure did not understand why the UIL would not allow people to talk to the golfers. My daughter played and was good. But it was tough to walk with her on a tourney and not talk. I always understood that they did this because it was like having a caddy that could help you with clubbing and such.

Cowboy_Up
10-21-2008, 02:47 PM
#1 reason it's good coaches can now talk to HS golfers between holes is ...they can yell at them to get moving!!!

Went to two matches last year and 6 hour rounds was the norm. :mad:

ctownlegend
10-21-2008, 03:23 PM

ths is dumb. It's going to make for a crap load of kids running events they have no business running. I'm really surprised by this rule change...

jimmyceatworld
10-21-2008, 09:17 PM

So if you qualify in 1 event you can compete in whatever 1 event and if you qualify for 2 events you can compete in whatever 2 events and so on?

Rabid Cougar
10-21-2008, 09:41 PM
You have always been able to compete in any event at a Qualifiers meet. They do it at the Baylor meet all the time.

jimmyceatworld
10-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
You have always been able to compete in any event at a Qualifiers meet. They do it at the Baylor meet all the time.

I was thinking Regionals when I asked that.

eagles26
10-23-2008, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
idk...but oklahoma use to have two seasons...fastpitch in the fall and slow in the spring........good and bad points to this ...best point is girls come in from summer travel ball already playing and that season is winding down....bad...elite players need the fall to go to exsposure tourneys with travel ball squads......and i was told high school volleyball is awful in ok....so softball probably hurts volleyball.

It's not necessarily awful up there just much easier to get to state and become an all state player.
Up until state they played double elimination game, then it's single at state.
They do this because, obviously, Oklahoma is much smaller than Texas and a lot less schools to play each other in the playoffs.

But as for awful part, every state has awful teams and every state has great teams.
I doubt those at the state level in OK are awful.

NastySlot
10-23-2008, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by eagles26
It's not necessarily awful up there just much easier to get to state and become an all state player.
Up until state they played double elimination game, then it's single at state.
They do this because, obviously, Oklahoma is much smaller than Texas and a lot less schools to play each other in the playoffs.

But as for awful part, every state has awful teams and every state has great teams.
I doubt those at the state level in OK are awful.

i understand...i got the awful part from a volleyball coach here in texas....cause i asked if softball in the fall hurt volleyball.

18handicap
10-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Yes, we in softball get the 2 extra days, but not until 2010. Baseball will have had it 3 years by then. Somebody dropped the ball when the proposal first went in by leaving out softball. It took the perception that there might be a Title IX lawsuit to move it along.