PDA

View Full Version : Madison Assistant Coach Larry Lewis Passes Away...

JR2004
10-21-2008, 04:41 AM
Losing Coach Lewis is a tough one and I imagine that the next few weeks and months are going to be hard on our players, coaches and everyone else at the school. I don't really think I could really find the right words to describe him, but I'll try. Coach Lewis was genuinely a great man and he's going to be sorely missed. He passed away in his sleep Sunday morning. I never did ask him his exact age, but I believe he was in his early 60's. He was way too young to go. :(

He didn't look a day over 40 though as he stayed in great shape. I believe Coach Lewis played for the Atlanta Falcons in the early years of their franchise. He never really would talk much about it though because he didn't care too much for attention. He was always in a good mood and I never saw him not smiling or laughing. Coach Lewis could've stepped in some dog mess and he would've found a way to turn it into a positive.

There's a lot of teachers and coaches who say it's all about the kids, but often that's just lip service. Coach Lewis practiced what he preached. It didn't matter if the kid was a boy or girl or whether they were an athlete or not. He treated them all the same and showed all of them the same amount of love that he would to a family member. As an assistant coach he didn't have a won-loss record like a head coach would to show how successful he was. His won-loss record came in the form of how many young men and women he kept from turning to the streets of South Dallas. In that regard no one was more successful than Coach Lewis.

This might help to explain what kind of man he was. This is an excerpt from an article written two years ago by Jean-Jacques Taylor the week we played Celina...

<<"The coaches break down their players with discipline and build them up with hard work and the kind of love that makes assistant Larry Lewis double-check whether some players have eaten at least three times before they go home because they're not guaranteed a meal once they leave school.">>

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/112206dnspotaylor.334576b.html

I guess our win against Roosevelt in the final seconds last week was a fitting way to send him home. That win was in a lot of ways like Coach Lewis. He may have been down, but he was never out and he fought like heck for the kids at Madison right to the very end of his life.

I just can't believe he's gone. He was one of the good guys and he'll be missed more than y'all can imagine. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I can't possibly do Coach Lewis justice with anything I've wrote above, but hopefully y'all understand how good of a person he was. :(

bobcat1
10-21-2008, 05:42 AM
Our family sends our condolences and sympathy to all his family and the kids he touched. I can guarantee he will be missed by those whose lives he touched according to the words written here. Rest in Peace Coach.

LH Panther Mom
10-21-2008, 05:55 AM
Very nicely done JR. Prayers for the Madison community. :(

eagles_victory
10-21-2008, 08:24 AM
Sounds like we have lost one of the really good ones who knew what his job was all about. Wish there were more out there like him. Wish the Madison community the best as they deal with this loss.

kaorder1999
10-21-2008, 10:00 AM
that is horrible!

pirate4state
10-21-2008, 10:20 AM
:(

I am sorry to hear about your friend passing. It sounds like he was a great man. Thoughts go out to his family, friends & the Madison community.

JR2004
10-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
that is horrible!

It sure is. The rest of the season doesn't really seem all that important. Won't be the same without Coach Lewis out there.

ProudHornetMom
10-21-2008, 08:13 PM
JR - I hope you will send a copy of your post to Coach Lewis' family. Every coach hopes he will be remembered for what you described. It will be a blessing to the family. He must have been a wonderful coach and impacted many lives.

Prayers for all.

OldBison75
10-22-2008, 08:39 AM
The prayer of the Navasota Rattler families go out to the students and staff at Madison and Coach Lewis' family. The true measure of a man is in the peoples lives he touches and the memories they have of just being in his presence. I can see from this post that Coach Lewis was more than a friend an coach, but was an example and leader. Men like him are hard to find in any profession. He will be missed by many. Don'e ever let his memory and legacy die.

Phil C
10-22-2008, 10:16 AM
:(

JR2004
10-23-2008, 01:05 PM
DMN article from Damon L. Sayles about Coach Lewis. I think he did a really good job on this article. I would think most folks would like to leave this kind of impression on people when they pass on.

http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/10/madison-coach-larry-ll-lewis-19482008.html

Madison coach Larry "LL" Lewis (1948-2008)

Madison coaches, players and faculty opened the week with heavy hearts after receiving the news that long-time coach Larry "LL" Lewis died Sunday. He was 60.

Lewis, Madison's campus monitor, coached 15 years at Madison. He coached football, basketball and swimming.

"He was a coach, the water boy, the equipment manager, he did it all," Madison head football coach and athletic coordinator Ronald Johnson said. "Whatever we needed, he was there to do it."

Lewis will be remembered most by Madison faculty as a humanitarian and a role model. He was the person who made it a priority to care for the less-fortunate students.

"He made sure no child went hungry," Madison principal Marian A. Willard said. "He was a listening ear for them. He was like a father figure, just a great guy who put children first."

Dallas ISD athletic director Jeff Johnson added: "He took pride in all he did, and he did it for one reason - the kids. As an outsider looking in, I could see these things evident in Larry. Imagine what those who worked closely with him on a daily basis might have to say."

The following is an excerpt from our own Jean-Jacques Taylor, as he spoke of Madison's program and Lewis in his column on Nov. 22, 2006:

The coaches break down their players with discipline and build them up with hard work and the kind of love that makes assistant Larry Lewis double-check whether some players have eaten at least three times before they go home because they're not guaranteed a meal once they leave school.

Willard said a wake has been set for Friday at Golden Gate Funeral Home in Dallas. Funeral services will take place Saturday.

Ronald Johnson said the team is dedicating the rest of the season to Lewis. Each player will wear "LL" helmet stickers, and a game ball will be presented to the family. Ronald Johnson said Madison coaches, in addition, will be pall bearers at Lewis' funeral.

"It will be hard to imagine him not being on the sidelines, in the stands or wherever James Madison might be," Jeff Johnson said. "He will be and already is greatly missed. The Dallas ISD, this athletic department and the family at James Madison are better because of Coach Lewis."

Posted by Damon L. Sayles at 3:00 AM | Permalink | Comments (2)