PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Fix-It Reportedly Takes Over Defense

JR2004
10-20-2008, 06:58 PM
I haven't found a story link yet, but Ed Werder reported this afternoon that Wade Phillips is going to take over play-calling duties from Brian Stewart starting with this Sunday's game against Tampa Bay.

Necks_Fan
10-20-2008, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
I haven't found a story link yet, but Ed Werder reported this afternoon that Wade Phillips is going to take over play-calling duties from Brian Stewart starting with this Sunday's game against Tampa Bay. This just in, the Cowboys have officially pressed the PANIC button.

Ranger Mom
10-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Is Pacman in rehab?

Emerson1
10-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Is Pacman in rehab?
Yes

JR2004
10-20-2008, 07:13 PM
I believe that Werder also said that there has been some confusion between the players and the defensive coaching staff over calls and they haven't been on the same page for awhile now. It'll be interesting to see how things change with Phillips calling the plays.

LH Panther Mom
10-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Who is Mr. Fix-It? Does he not have a real name? :confused:

Emerson1
10-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Wade Phillips

jambo67
10-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Wade Phillips.

Necks_Fan
10-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Mr. Fix-It Reportedly Takes Over Defense

Wade Phillips is going to take over play-calling duties :thinking: ;)

JR2004
10-20-2008, 07:29 PM

It's what Phillips called himself when he showed up in Dallas.

LH Panther Mom
10-20-2008, 07:30 PM
More questions, so shoot me. :D (And yeah, if I had thought, I would've realized "who". :doh: )

He is taking over defensive play-calling? Do the Cowboys not have a base defense that they run? Or are they waiting for somebody to tell them what to do? If that's the case, how much $$$$$ are these guys making that they don't already know?

(Only the last question is a s/a one - the rest are legit.)

JR2004
10-20-2008, 07:34 PM
More questions, so shoot me. :D (And yeah, if I had thought, I would've realized "who". :doh: )

He is taking over defensive play-calling? Do the Cowboys not have a base defense that they run? Or are they waiting for somebody to tell them what to do? If that's the case, how much $$$$$ are these guys making that they don't already know?

(Only the last question is a s/a one - the rest are legit.)

Werder said there's been confusion among the players over some of the calls from Brian Stewart and there was apparently some growing discontent over it. Basically the players don't like the plays being called by Stewart is what Werder made it sound like.

sinton66
10-20-2008, 07:36 PM
I doubt he could do any worse than what's happened the last two weeks.

LH Panther Mom
10-20-2008, 07:36 PM
Right, I got that part. I guess I didn't word it right. Is he (has he been) calling in defensive plays throughout the game before each play or is it just discontent with the defensive scheme in general?

JR2004
10-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Right, I got that part. I guess I didn't word it right. Is he (has he been) calling in defensive plays throughout the game before each play or is it just discontent with the defensive scheme in general?

Scheme in general is what it sounds like, but they also seem to have complaints over specific plays from past games.

Trashman
10-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Scheme in general is what it sounds like, but they also seem to have complaints over specific plays from past games.

JR2004, where do you think the real problem with team lies?

Necks_Fan
10-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
JR2004, where do you think the real problem with team lies? :evilgrin: :stirpot: :1popcorn: :devil: :devil:

Trashman
10-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
:evilgrin: :stirpot: :1popcorn: :devil: :devil:

I was serious, he said this in an earlier post.

Wade isn't the problem in Dallas, but I'm sure he'll be the fall guy.

I respect his opinion.

LH Panther Mom
10-20-2008, 11:02 PM
(Is Jessica Simpson really as dumb as she sounds?)

Txbroadcaster
10-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Last year Stewart in his first year as the DC made DE Jason Hatcher run sprints before Hatch had a chance to warm up and he pulled his hamstring..That kinda got swept under the rug and forgotten as Dallas jumped out to such a good start, but I think some of the defensive players have never trusted Stewart since then

Answering Deb's Q...They have the base set the 3-4..but some of the players are not happy with the defensive play called..Greg Ellis made the comment a couple of weeks ago about he is tired of covering the TE all the time and not rushing the QB

ctownlegend
10-20-2008, 11:54 PM
Basically the players don't like the plays being called by Stewart is what Werder made it sound like.
These guys are getting paid millions to do what the coach calls. Thats called attitude.

My Verdict: Too much D-straction in in Big D

JR2004
10-21-2008, 12:29 AM
JR2004, where do you think the real problem with team lies?

This Cowboys team in particular comes across like this to me. They have a defensive coordinator they aren't that fond of and Wade may have waited too long to step in and do something about the situation. I don't think it helps matters that the players know that the head coach is likely a lame duck. I don't think Wade wields any real authority at all over the team. I know that sounds contradictory to me saying Wade isn't the problem, but I don't think it's his fault. The owner makes it pretty clear that he runs the show and it undermines his head coach.

I like Wade, but he's in a bad situation that's made worse when you have an owner as overbearing as Jones is. Jones wants to win in the worst way which is good, but he's too involved. I've watched Dan Snyder ruin several promising teams in Washington and I'm seeing the same thing here, but there's still time to turn it around.

Talent isn't the problem with Dallas. They have more than enough of that. I really believe that if Dallas had someone a bit more authoritative like Jim Zorn (Yes he's nice, but he commands respect) that we would've lost the last meeting. Dallas needs a guy as head coach that can keep your owner at bay like how Zorn is doing with Dan Snyder. He lets Dan have just enough access to keep him happy, but not too much. Basically the inmates run the asylum so to speak in Dallas and the distraction Adam Jones provided sure didn't help matters the last couple of weeks. I think it'll take a player stepping up, Romo perhaps, and laying down the law for things to get back on track.

JR2004
10-21-2008, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by ctownlegend
These guys are getting paid millions to do what the coach calls. Thats called attitude.

My Verdict: Too much D-straction in in Big D

I think the coaches should have more authority, but when you've got players that know they can go over their coaches head it creates situations like this. There's still nine games to go and I'll bet things improve now that Adam Jones is nowhere near the team.

Txbroadcaster
10-21-2008, 07:07 AM

Talent isn't the problem with Dallas. They have more than enough of that..

You know on the defensive side this "supposed" talent did not perform consistently well under a taskmaster like Bill Parcells, but that was supposed to be because he was to simple in scheme...Now they cant perform well consistently under Phillps because he is to soft and they dont like the play calling of the DC

Maybe this"talent" is not as talented as the experts claim or at least dont fit together as a unit but at some point the players have to be the ones who take the blame, not the coach and not the owner

DDBooger
10-21-2008, 08:06 AM
(Is Jessica Simpson really as dumb as she sounds?) you actually listen to her? I just mute it and enjoy the view:D

LH Panther Mom
10-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
you actually listen to her? I just mute it and enjoy the view:D
She was on David Letterman. I wasn't really paying attention to the show until I heard her voice. Something about fingernails and chalkboards came to mind. :speech:

And the view from here isn't quite the same. :p

pirate4state
10-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
You know on the defensive side this "supposed" talent did not perform consistently well under a taskmaster like Bill Parcells, but that was supposed to be because he was to simple in scheme...Now they cant perform well consistently under Phillps because he is to soft and they dont like the play calling of the DC

Maybe this"talent" is not as talented as the experts claim or at least dont fit together as a unit but at some point the players have to be the ones who take the blame, not the coach and not the owner

I don't buy that they aren't as talented as "the experts" claim, but I can buy that they don't fit together as a unit. :thinking:

Trashman
10-21-2008, 10:23 AM
This Cowboys team in particular comes across like this to me. They have a defensive coordinator they aren't that fond of and Wade may have waited too long to step in and do something about the situation. I don't think it helps matters that the players know that the head coach is likely a lame duck. I don't think Wade wields any real authority at all over the team. I know that sounds contradictory to me saying Wade isn't the problem, but I don't think it's his fault. The owner makes it pretty clear that he runs the show and it undermines his head coach.

I like Wade, but he's in a bad situation that's made worse when you have an owner as overbearing as Jones is. Jones wants to win in the worst way which is good, but he's too involved. I've watched Dan Snyder ruin several promising teams in Washington and I'm seeing the same thing here, but there's still time to turn it around.

Talent isn't the problem with Dallas. They have more than enough of that. I really believe that if Dallas had someone a bit more authoritative like Jim Zorn (Yes he's nice, but he commands respect) that we would've lost the last meeting. Dallas needs a guy as head coach that can keep your owner at bay like how Zorn is doing with Dan Snyder. He lets Dan have just enough access to keep him happy, but not too much. Basically the inmates run the asylum so to speak in Dallas and the distraction Adam Jones provided sure didn't help matters the last couple of weeks. I think it'll take a player stepping up, Romo perhaps, and laying down the law for things to get back on track.

Thanks JR2004. I knew I could trust you to lay it all out perfectly. :D

JR2004
10-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks JR2004. I knew I could trust you to lay it all out perfectly. :D

Yeah it's just how I see it. Even though Dallas is our biggest rival it's really not as much fun if both teams aren't playing well. I guess I also kinda feel bad for Cowboy fans since I watched our owner foster the same kind of atmosphere and culture for several years until Joe Gibbs came in and got him to act halfway right. Dallas shouldn't be any worse than 6-1 right now, but I guess that's why they play the games.

kaorder1999
10-21-2008, 02:00 PM
id step into that DC role as an interim if Wade would give me a call!

JR2004
10-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
id step into that DC role as an interim if Wade would give me a call!

That's so generous of you to be willing to take one for the team like that!