PDA

View Full Version : Cuero Gobblers vs. Goliad Tigers

KingRob
10-20-2008, 06:30 AM
Gobblers vs. Tigers at Gobbler Stadium.

Teams have met 10 times since 1990. Cuero holding a 9-1 lead in the series.

The Gobblers will be too strong and fast at home, even though that Franklin youngster might give the D some work early in the game.

Gobbler district and home winning streak will continue.

Survey Says:

Cuero - 42
Goliad - 17

LET'S GO CUERO!!!
:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

piratebg
10-20-2008, 06:33 AM
Gobblers by alot.

ol country boy
10-20-2008, 08:18 AM
Cuero in a land slide

pirate4state
10-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Goliad will come in fired up and might be able to hang for like 5 minutes in the first quarter, but then it's all Gobblers.

GreenMachine
10-20-2008, 11:11 AM
Another dreary evening for the Tigers:( :D

Corn Cob
10-20-2008, 03:10 PM
Gobblers over Franklin by as many as they want!

29-3aFAN
10-21-2008, 05:15 AM
Cuero 49-21

Cowboy_Up
10-21-2008, 09:02 AM
Cuero by 14...I think it'll be closer than most think...Goliad looks to be improving each game, but still think the Gobblers put them away mid-way thru the 2nd half.

HM33
10-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Cuero wins if they show up to play football. If they just show up then it might be a different story. Its Homecoming so I hope the kids don't want to be embarrassed on their homecomeing. I know I did'nt.

KingRob
10-24-2008, 02:08 AM
Can someone please post JV scores?

Danke!

hookandladder
10-24-2008, 06:12 AM
Goliad defense better than most think, they really got after us when we played. I would say score would be closer if it were a home game for Goliad but I will say 35- 21 Cuero, could be closer.Is it possible for Goliad to make the playoffs.

garciap77
10-24-2008, 06:52 AM
Go Cuero!

44INAROW
10-24-2008, 08:09 AM
Breaking new ground
Goliad finds itself in position to take over District 28-3A lead

BY MIKE FORMAN - MFORMAN@VICAD.COM
October 23, 2008 - 11:03 p.m.
Goliad head football coach Greg Althof didn't realize how much he was enjoying this season until he got a phone call from his former defensive coordinator.

"I told him there is no substitute for success," Althof said. "The feeling in the community, the school district and on that team, there's no feeling like going out and being successful. It makes life so much easier. It's a feeling they haven't been able to enjoy much lately in Goliad, Texas."

The Tigers (4-3, 2-0) created the good feelings by winning three straight games after a 1-3 start, including District 28-3A victories over Palacios and Gonzales.

Goliad has put itself in position to play for the outright district lead when it takes on No. 9 Cuero (5-1, 2-0) today at 7:30 p.m. at Cuero's Gobbler Stadium.

"The kids are excited," Althof said. "They are playing well right now. They're doing good things on the field. They have an opportunity to play a good Cuero team that is the stable of this district."

Goliad last defeated Cuero 14-12 at Gobbler Stadium in 1992. The Gobblers have won seven straight over Goliad since that meeting by a combined score of 296-44.

"They got off to a real rocky start, but since then they've played really well," Cuero coach Mark Reeve said. "It's a tribute to the coaches and the kids. I think we picked them to be a playoff team. It's kind of a matter of them becoming a good football team. Their kids are playing hard and that's been the key."

Althof, who is in his third season at Goliad, finds it hard to pinpoint specific reasons for his team's improvement.

"I've asked myself that question and we've talked about it as a staff," Althof said. "The kids believe in what we're doing. They're playing well as a team. There's not any animosity between them. They've turned that corner. When you're on the same page, you can do good things. That's the biggest thing I've seen since we've been here. They're playing with effort, heart and intensity."

Althof knows Goliad will face its toughest challenge against Cuero. The Gobblers are coming off a 56-7 win over Palacios, in which they scored touchdowns on their first four snaps.

Cuero will be seeking its 27th straight district win and 28th consecutive home win.

"Right now, Cuero has got to be one of the best teams in the state," Althof said.

"Coach Reeve does a great job with his kids. They are well coached and they play hard. They have that tradition on their side of being good for so long that all of us strive to get to. It speaks volumes for their program."

Reeve was pleased with his team's performance in its district-opening win over Yoakum and last week against Palacios, when the reserves played almost all of the second half.

"I think we're really improving," Reeve said.

"From our open week, we've just gotten better every week. It always seems like at the end of district is when we start to peak."

NOTES: Goliad's Colby May has rushed for 516 yards and four touchdowns, and Aaron Franklin has rushed for 406 yards and six touchdowns and has 28 receptions for 335 yards and five touchdowns...Cuero's Tyler Arndt has passed for 990 yards and nine touchdowns, Robert Armstrong has 30 receptions for 514 yards and seven touchdowns, and Trent Jackson has rushed for 540 yards and eight touchdowns...The game will be broadcast on KBAR, 100.9 FM in Victoria.
Link to Story (www.victoriaadvocate.com)

hookandladder
10-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Breaking new ground
Goliad finds itself in position to take over District 28-3A lead

BY MIKE FORMAN - MFORMAN@VICAD.COM
October 23, 2008 - 11:03 p.m.
Goliad head football coach Greg Althof didn't realize how much he was enjoying this season until he got a phone call from his former defensive coordinator.

"I told him there is no substitute for success," Althof said. "The feeling in the community, the school district and on that team, there's no feeling like going out and being successful. It makes life so much easier. It's a feeling they haven't been able to enjoy much lately in Goliad, Texas."

The Tigers (4-3, 2-0) created the good feelings by winning three straight games after a 1-3 start, including District 28-3A victories over Palacios and Gonzales.

Goliad has put itself in position to play for the outright district lead when it takes on No. 9 Cuero (5-1, 2-0) today at 7:30 p.m. at Cuero's Gobbler Stadium.

"The kids are excited," Althof said. "They are playing well right now. They're doing good things on the field. They have an opportunity to play a good Cuero team that is the stable of this district."

Goliad last defeated Cuero 14-12 at Gobbler Stadium in 1992. The Gobblers have won seven straight over Goliad since that meeting by a combined score of 296-44.

"They got off to a real rocky start, but since then they've played really well," Cuero coach Mark Reeve said. "It's a tribute to the coaches and the kids. I think we picked them to be a playoff team. It's kind of a matter of them becoming a good football team. Their kids are playing hard and that's been the key."

Althof, who is in his third season at Goliad, finds it hard to pinpoint specific reasons for his team's improvement.

"I've asked myself that question and we've talked about it as a staff," Althof said. "The kids believe in what we're doing. They're playing well as a team. There's not any animosity between them. They've turned that corner. When you're on the same page, you can do good things. That's the biggest thing I've seen since we've been here. They're playing with effort, heart and intensity."

Althof knows Goliad will face its toughest challenge against Cuero. The Gobblers are coming off a 56-7 win over Palacios, in which they scored touchdowns on their first four snaps.

Cuero will be seeking its 27th straight district win and 28th consecutive home win.

"Right now, Cuero has got to be one of the best teams in the state," Althof said.

"Coach Reeve does a great job with his kids. They are well coached and they play hard. They have that tradition on their side of being good for so long that all of us strive to get to. It speaks volumes for their program."

Reeve was pleased with his team's performance in its district-opening win over Yoakum and last week against Palacios, when the reserves played almost all of the second half.

"I think we're really improving," Reeve said.

"From our open week, we've just gotten better every week. It always seems like at the end of district is when we start to peak."

NOTES: Goliad's Colby May has rushed for 516 yards and four touchdowns, and Aaron Franklin has rushed for 406 yards and six touchdowns and has 28 receptions for 335 yards and five touchdowns...Cuero's Tyler Arndt has passed for 990 yards and nine touchdowns, Robert Armstrong has 30 receptions for 514 yards and seven touchdowns, and Trent Jackson has rushed for 540 yards and eight touchdowns...The game will be broadcast on KBAR, 100.9 FM in Victoria.
Link to Story (www.victoriaadvocate.com)

We played them early in the year and we beat them pretty good score wise however the game was closer than the score indicated. I said right after the game that Goliad will make the playoffs in their District, also i think they will give Cuero a good game. Good luck to both teams, both towns have good people,.

boba fett
10-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Poll #s might reflect the score?

Nah, the Tigers will try and make a game of it, but when it's all said & done the Gobblers just have too much speed. The Tigers have 2-3 play makers and Cuero has 11!

Phil C
10-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Cuero will win but it will be a tough game. It would have been much tougher if the game had been in Goliad.

JT44
10-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Cuero's LB's will be all over the running game, the DB's will just go man. I honestly think the only threat to beat Cuero over the top or on a long run is A.Franklin.

They'll make some plays early, but get worn down by the end of the first quarter.