PDA

View Full Version : Taylor @ Navasota

navscanmaster
10-19-2008, 07:35 PM
No poll necessary for this one. I believe the Rattlers will step it up a bit and regain their offensive firepower at home. Navasota is averaging 404.5 yards per game this season, 1106 on the ground and 1321 through the air. I couldn't find any stats for Taylor, but we do know that RB Tristan Meyer is right behind Chris Whaley in rushing yardage. I believe he was at 960 or so before the Rudder game, so he should be well over 1000 coming into this matchup. Navasota has not yet faced a feature back offense this season. Early in the season, the Rattler rushing D was brilliant, limiting opponents to less that 50 yards per game. Caldwell ran well against Navasota in the first half, but was contained in the second half of that thriller. Rockdale seemed to be a step back for the Rattlers, though they still made the plays when they needed to. Can the Rattlers rebound and shut down Meyer? Or will this be another lethargic week for a Rattler team that has had back to back tight battles to defend their ranking? Can Taylor hang with the Rattlers and make them work for another win? After all, Taylor cruised to an easy 49-0 win last week over Rudder, and the Rattlers were worn down by another team hungry to prove they should be rated as highly. I will not be in attendance for this game, but will be doing the play by play again from Tulsa, OK. Go Rattlers!

Navasota 45, Taylor 13

marlin fan
10-19-2008, 07:39 PM
this should be a good one both navasota and Taylors band are going to area Contest next week

HEMOTOXIC
10-19-2008, 09:08 PM
Rattlers by 21.

HEMOTOXIC
10-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by marlin fan
this should be a good one both navasota and Taylors band are going to area Contest next week

Congrats to the Rattler Band for receiving straight 1's at UIL Marching Contest at the Berry Center (CY-Fair ISD). :clap:

marlin fan
10-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
Congrats to the Rattler Band for receiving straight 1's at UIL Marching Contest at the Berry Center (CY-Fair ISD). :clap: yeah it sux they moved Navasota out of region 8

ctownlegend
10-19-2008, 09:28 PM
Congrats to the Rattler Band for receiving straight 1's at UIL Marching Contest at the Berry Center (CY-Fair ISD). :clap:
I think it's somewhat sad that this thread about the game has turned to a battle of the bands because of the obvious outcome of the actual football game..but..since we're talking about 24-3a bands...

Cameron's Band advanced to area for the first time in i think 37 years!!! So congrats to them and all their hard work.:clap:

ctownlegend
10-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Oh, and on the game...'Sota by 28. Meyer will start strong on Taylor's first drive, might get in the endzone...after that he'll be shut down. I'd like to see if Taylor's Coaching staff has finally realized that Jackson is too good of an athlete to keep misusing him as they have all year. He should be their starting quarterback, unfortunately...the coaches son is also QB...we all know who wins that battle 99.9% of the time...it's a shame...:dispntd:

HEMOTOXIC
10-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by ctownlegend
I think it's somewhat sad that this thread about the game has turned to a battle of the bands because of the obvious outcome of the actual football game..but..since we're talking about 24-3a bands...

Cameron's Band advanced to area for the first time in i think 37 years!!! So congrats to them and all their hard work.:clap:

Hey congrats to the Yomen band. :clap:

This thread will get back on track probably tomorrow. Any Ducks fans out there? :confused:

nunya
10-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Shan't be close:

Navasota 44
Taylor 13

navscanmaster
10-19-2008, 09:40 PM
yeah it sux they moved Navasota out of region 8

I haven't gotten the same good feeling about the Rattler band as I did last year. Maybe it's just me...

marlin fan
10-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
I haven't gotten the same good feeling about the Rattler band as I did last year. Maybe it's just me... maybe we should do pm's lol yeah i got a friend from down there he sd they werent that good lol i was like well they got all 1's.

marlin fan
10-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Oh, and on the game...'Sota by 28. Meyer will start strong on Taylor's first drive, might get in the endzone...after that he'll be shut down. I'd like to see if Taylor's Coaching staff has finally realized that Jackson is too good of an athlete to keep misusing him as they have all year. He should be their starting quarterback, unfortunately...the coaches son is also QB...we all know who wins that battle 99.9% of the time...it's a shame...:dispntd: yes i was VERY impressed by the oye band! great job

HEMOTOXIC
10-19-2008, 09:45 PM
maybe we should do pm's lol yeah i got a friend from down there he sd they werent that good lol i was like well they got all 1's.

Hey B, dont be talking about me...lol:D

navscanmaster
10-19-2008, 09:46 PM
maybe we should do pm's lol yeah i got a friend from down there he sd they werent that good lol i was like well they got all 1's.
Who needs PM's! Everybody knows that bands are an integral part of the Texas High School Football Experience! If a team wins both the game and halftime, they are GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marlin fan
10-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Hey B, dont be talking about me...lol:D i had to do it

marlin fan
10-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Who needs PM's! Everybody knows that bands are an integral part of the Texas High School Football Experience! If a team wins both the game and halftime, they are GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah but some folk on here dont like it lol

navscanmaster
10-19-2008, 09:52 PM
yeah but some folk on here dont like it lol
They are the same ones that run their mouths about everything anyhow, LOL!
:redxpoke: :redX:

marlin fan
10-19-2008, 09:54 PM
:redxpoke: :redX: lol yeah

nunya
10-19-2008, 09:58 PM
:redxpoke: :redX:

You said a mouthful there

Ranger Mom
10-19-2008, 10:00 PM
yeah but some folk on here dont like it lol

Who cares???

There is plenty of room on this board for some band talk!!

marlin fan
10-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Who cares???

There is plenty of room on this board for some band talk!! lol

LH Panther Mom
10-20-2008, 06:17 AM

This thread will get back on track probably tomorrow. Any Ducks fans out there? :confused:
Maybe one? I think he might have 2-3 posts since he signed up.

3afan
10-20-2008, 06:40 AM
Navasota rolls obviously ... i'd pick Taylor (the Ducks!) except I have a bad memory of my last HS baseball game which was a loss to the Ducks in the (then) 3A playoffs at Temple JC, so go Rattlers

OldBison75
10-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Rattlers by at least 21 in this game. The Rattler players were embarassed by thier performance for the final three quarters at Rockdale and have been hearing rumblings from Cameron about how they will beat Navasota. According to a player on the Rattler team, they want to give Cameron somthing to think about this week. The Rattler defense was not that bad against Rockdale, they gave up two runs that were over 30 yards and one pass that was about 30 yards. Take those away and the defense gave up about 180 yards against a pretty good offense.

Look for this to be the Rattlers week to step it up after playing three very tough opponents in a row.

navscanmaster
10-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
Rattlers by at least 21 in this game. The Rattler players were embarassed by thier performance for the final three quarters at Rockdale and have been hearing rumblings from Cameron about how they will beat Navasota. According to a player on the Rattler team, they want to give Cameron somthing to think about this week. The Rattler defense was not that bad against Rockdale, they gave up two runs that were over 30 yards and one pass that was about 30 yards. Take those away and the defense gave up about 180 yards against a pretty good offense.

Look for this to be the Rattlers week to step it up after playing three very tough opponents in a row.

According to the stats I took, the Rattlers gave up a long pass play of 25 yards, and a long run of 43. The next longest play was a 17 yard pass.

HEMOTOXIC
10-20-2008, 07:43 PM
There wasn't many big plays in that game. I believe one of Rockdale's scores came from the failed onside kick by the Rattlers.

navscanmaster
10-20-2008, 07:49 PM
There wasn't many big plays in that game. I believe one of Rockdale's scores came from the failed onside kick by the Rattlers.
Our first score came from their fumbled kick. We're even.;)

HEMOTOXIC
10-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Our first score came from their fumbled kick. We're even.;)

Hey, you will be back for the Cameron game, right?

navscanmaster
10-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Hey, you will be back for the Cameron game, right?
10-4:D I will be opposite my buddy from work here, and he is a big Cameron homer. His daughter is in the oYe band. He is also constantly writing little "oYe's" everywhere to jack with me! I am trying to get him on the downlow, so that could be alot of fun. :devil:

HEMOTOXIC
10-20-2008, 08:17 PM
10-4:D

Good, Im already excited.,...Get there early!

navscanmaster
10-20-2008, 08:37 PM
BTW....to unhijack this look-ahead thread we have going here...

Cameron folks that have played Taylor, this Q is for U. How does Taylor's passing game look? I know Meyer is their big athlete, but do they mix it up, catch well, etc...? Fill us Snakes in.

ctownlegend
10-20-2008, 09:15 PM
BTW....to unhijack this look-ahead thread we have going here...

Cameron folks that have played Taylor, this Q is for U. How does Taylor's passing game look? I know Meyer is their big athlete, but do they mix it up, catch well, etc...? Fill us Snakes in.

Their coaching is absolutely horrible. Taylor will run...run...and run again until they are behind by 3 touchdowns. Now this was against our defense, and we didn't play too well in the first half, but they still didn't throw until the fourth quarter when well past panic point for Taylor.

Statistically their about like caldwell when it comes to the pass, they don't do it very often, and Cobia (their QB) has the arm of an undeveloped Junior High player. He'll lob the ball to a 6 yard hitch rout. His deep ball isn't decent...I wouldn't worry too much about the pass, when they do have to start passing, it will benifit you're defense more than their offense. Their only threats on the Offensive side of the ball are Meyer, and Jackson, but thats only if Head Coach Cobia allows #7 to touch the ball...:dispntd:

It is really quite sad they way those coaches have run this team this year. I can't say it enough, Jackson should be taking the snaps for them, if he was they could have gotten at least 2 more wins outta this season so far. It aggravates me to see such talent go to waste. :mad:

If your reading this Jackson...MOVE TO CAMERON...WE'LL GET YOU THE BALL!!!!!!

HEMOTOXIC
10-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Their coaching is absolutely horrible. Taylor will run...run...and run again until they are behind by 3 touchdowns. Now this was against our defense, and we didn't play too well in the first half, but they still didn't throw until the fourth quarter when well past panic point for Taylor.

Statistically their about like caldwell when it comes to the pass, they don't do it very often, and Cobia (their QB) has the arm of an undeveloped Junior High player. He'll lob the ball to a 6 yard hitch rout. His deep ball isn't decent...I wouldn't worry too much about the pass, when they do have to start passing, it will benifit you're defense more than their offense. Their only threats on the Offensive side of the ball are Meyer, and Jackson, but thats only if Head Coach Cobia allows #7 to touch the ball...:dispntd:

It is really quite sad they way those coaches have run this team this year. I can't say it enough, Jackson should be taking the snaps for them, if he was they could have gotten at least 2 more wins outta this season so far. It aggravates me to see such talent go to waste. :mad:

If your reading this Jackson...MOVE TO CAMERON...WE'LL GET YOU THE BALL!!!!!!

Thanks, Good stuff. Hopefuly the Rattlers will come out ready to play.

navscanmaster
10-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Thanks, Good stuff. Hopefuly the Rattlers will come out ready to play.
Back to the top. Bored in Tulsa, still. Drove 100 miles today in the blowing rain and hail on state highways that resemble our worst farm to market roads. God I hate Oklahoma. The only fun I have is when I get back to the hotel room and get on the downlow. So I must reinstill some life in this thread.
I hope the Rattler defense just absolutely clamps down on Taylor. I want to see a shutout in district so bad, and I think it is very possible here. Taylor has some talent, but can't seem to translate that talent into points, sans Rudder. I think if we sell out against the run, like everybody does to us, a shutout could happen. No doubt Meyer will have the ability to break a few for good yardage, but I believe Navasota has the ability to totally dominate in this game. Talk to me, HEMOTOXIC!!! What do you think? OldBison75?

HEMOTOXIC
10-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Back to the top. Bored in Tulsa, still. Drove 100 miles today in the blowing rain and hail on state highways that resemble our worst farm to market roads. God I hate Oklahoma. The only fun I have is when I get back to the hotel room and get on the downlow. So I must reinstill some life in this thread.
I hope the Rattler defense just absolutely clamps down on Taylor. I want to see a shutout in district so bad, and I think it is very possible here. Taylor has some talent, but can't seem to translate that talent into points, sans Rudder. I think if we sell out against the run, like everybody does to us, a shutout could happen. No doubt Meyer will have the ability to break a few for good yardage, but I believe Navasota has the ability to totally dominate in this game. Talk to me, HEMOTOXIC!!! What do you think? OldBison75?

Hey, just getting in from class and all the rain. I hope for a shutout, but, it seems that the Rattler D doesnt start really dominating until the second half. But, it is possible based on ctownlegend. In this game, I would like to see consistency from the offense. The defense has being playing overall better. Hopefully that bad game was what the Rattlers needed before the remaining 3 games.

Go Snakes!

OldBison75
10-22-2008, 10:36 PM
The Rattlers could very well post that shutout in this game, but I would rather see a strong offense, both passing a running. I want to see the mistakes cut out and the offense click like they did against Sealy. If the defense plays as good as against Sealy, the shutout will come.

I talked to someone close to the team that says that they have been told that Taylor will try to run the ball down the throat of the defense. If they do, the linebackers will be really busy and that is the defensive strength.

I look for the Rattlers to play a solid game this week and try to be as basic as possible. The goal is winning, but Cameron will be watching and nothing will be shown that does not have to be.

HEMOTOXIC
10-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
The Rattlers could very well post that shutout in this game, but I would rather see a strong offense, both passing a running. I want to see the mistakes cut out and the offense click like they did against Sealy. If the defense plays as good as against Sealy, the shutout will come.

I talked to someone close to the team that says that they have been told that Taylor will try to run the ball down the throat of the defense. If they do, the linebackers will be really busy and that is the defensive strength.

I look for the Rattlers to play a solid game this week and try to be as basic as possible. The goal is winning, but Cameron will be watching and nothing will be shown that does not have to be.

Cameron will have their work cut out in the final two weeks against Navasota and then traveling to Caldwell.

navscanmaster
10-23-2008, 06:46 AM
Cameron will have their work cut out in the final two weeks against Navasota and then traveling to Caldwell.
True, true. That is a brutal way to finish the season. Win or lose, they should be playoff bound.

HEMOTOXIC
10-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Ducks battle #4 Navasota Friday

By Jerrad Lindenmuth
http://www.taylordailypress.net/articles/2008/10/23/sports/news01.txt

To upset the Associated Press No. 4 ranked Navasota Rattlers Friday in Navasota, the Taylor Ducks will have to control the ball with their rushing attack and be able to bring down Nava?sota’s star running back Dexter Pratt.

Pratt is similar in size, speed and hype (Pratt is committed to LSU) to Madisonville’s Chris Whaley (a Texas commit). Whaley torched Taylor for 373 yards rushing and six touchdowns in a 48-32 Taylor loss Oct. 10.
Taylor coach Rick Cobia said the chance to face another elite running back offers his players a shot at redemption.

“After they watched the tape they realized they could’ve done better against Whaley,” Cobia said. “We have another chance to play a big back who’s just as fast [as Whaley] and we’re going to get their motors running and hopefully they’ll make the open field tackles and gang tackles to redeem themselves.”

The Rattlers are far from a one-man show. Navasota runs a spread offense and features quarterback Jacolby Stokes, who Cobia said has strong chemistry with his wide receivers and has the ability to make plays with his arm and his legs.

On defense, Cobia said what jumped out to him and his staff was the overall quickness of the Rattlers, who usually feature four down linemen, but will occasionally walk a linebacker to the line of scrimmage.

“They just get in your face and play fast,” Cobia said.

Despite Navasota’s unblemished record and high ranking, the Rattlers have not been able to coast through District 24-3A. Navasota’s last two district contests against Caldwell and Rockdale have come down to the wire, though the Rattlers escaped with a 21-14 win against Rockdale last week and a 28-27 victory over Caldwell the week before. Navasota’s difficulties are a testament to the high quality of District 24-3A according to Cobia.

Cobia said that he believes there will be teams that make the playoffs this season that, were they in Taylor’s district, would be lucky to win more than one game against current District 24-3A teams.

Caldwell and Rockdale had success running the ball against the Rattlers, and Taylor will have to be able to do the same to have a chance at an upset.

Fortunately for Taylor supporters, the Ducks feature one of the most productive backs in Central Texas in Tristan Meyer, who enters Friday’s game with 1,180 yards and 16 touchdowns. Mark Jackson has also had a fine season in the backfield, rushing for more than 600 yards on the season.

“If we cannot establish the run game, it’ll be a long night and if we cannot make tackles it could be a long night,” Cobia said. “We’re still going to throw the ball, but everybody in Taylor knows we’re running the ball.”

Last week Taylor broke a four-game losing streak and earned its first District 24-3A win with a 49-0 shutout of Bryan Rudder. Cobia said he was very proud of his team’s execution and ability to play hard for four quarters, but said the Ducks will have to take their game to another level in order to beat the Rattlers.

“When you play someone with the talent of Navasota, you have to raise the bar,” Cobia said. “You have to play twice as hard as you’ve ever played. You have to spend all your energy to give yourself a chance in this game.”

Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.

ctownlegend
10-23-2008, 10:54 PM
I'm sorry, but Cobia is an Idiot...Taylor gets shutout and 'Sota cruises into big game vs Cameron 35-0...

UPanIN
10-24-2008, 10:00 AM
I'm sorry, but Cobia is an Idiot...Taylor gets shutout and 'Sota cruises into big game vs Cameron 35-0...

So I guess it's ok to refer to Cameron as "Eron" from now on.