PDA

View Full Version : Announcers Calling Coaches by First Name

kepdawg
10-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Is it common for announcers to call college coaches by their first name only? It sounds odd watching the Bama game hearing the announcer refer to Nick.

Bullaholic
10-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Is it common for announcers to call college coaches by their first name only? It sounds odd watching the Bama game hearing the announcer refer to Nick.

I may be an old school guy, but I think coaches have earned the title and should be referred to by everyone, especially players, as "Coach [Last name}".

RiverRat19
10-18-2008, 06:35 PM
I agree... I can't seem to bring myself to address any of my former coaches any differently than I did when I played for them decades ago. They do so much for the students at their respective schools that they deserve the respect and admiration of everyone in their communities.

Ranger Mom
10-18-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by RiverRat19
I agree... I can't seem to bring myself to address any of my former coaches any differently than I did when I played for them decades ago. They do so much for the students at their respective schools that they deserve the respect and admiration of everyone in their communities.

I know what you mean. My youngest son had a coach his 7th and 8th grade years that he thought extremely highly of.

The coach quit coaching about 5 years ago and got into sales with some oil related company. He happened to be making a sales call on the rig my son works on last week.

My son immediately walked up to him and said, "How are you Coach Maben?"

I guess once a coach, always a coach!!
:)