PDA

View Full Version : 300 win club

LH Panther Mom
10-18-2008, 09:50 AM
I know this is 4A, but I think it's pretty incredible for a coach to reach 300 wins in their career. Equally impressive (IMO) is that he has coached at Hays for 40 years. Congrats Coach Shelton! :clap:

Welcome to the club
Hays 21, Lockhart 20
By Rick Cantu

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Saturday, October 18, 2008

BUDA — If Texas had a Mount Rushmore to honor high school football coaches, Bob Shelton's profile would be carved alongside the greats of the game.

Shelton, in his 45th year as a varsity coach — and with no plans to retire — became just the seventh coach in state history to record 300 career victories when his Hays Rebels defeated Lockhart 21-20 Friday night at the stadium named in his honor.

Down 20-14, the Rebels took the lead for good when junior running back Trace Gandy bolted through the middle of the line for a 60-yard touchdown run, crossing the goal line with 2:27 remaining in the game. Alex Perez's kick provided the margin of victory.

Hays (4-3, 2-0 in District 17-4A) iced the game when cornerback Anthony Pesina intercepted a Lockhart pass in the closing minutes.

Shelton, 68, was surrounded by his players after the game, and senior defensive end Blake Timmons presented him with the game ball. One of Shelton's longtime friends left the bleachers and presented him with a Confederate flag.

Shelton, looking surprised by the attention, said he was "blessed" to have such good players and assistant coaches during his 40 seasons at Hays.

"This honor really belongs to them for all the hard work they did," Shelton said.

Shelton (300-175-7) said he has no intention of trying to break former Celina coach G.A. Moore's record of 407 career wins.

"The only history I know is that I'm getting older," he said modestly.

Rebels quarterback Trey Berry, who rushed for 80 yards and a touchdown, said the players dedicated the game to their coach. When asked if Shelton had talked about the milestone, he said, "I can't remember him mentioning it even once."

"Coach is probably screaming on the inside," Berry added.

After taking a 14-0 lead, Hays watched the Lions roar back with 20 unanswered points, including a pair of touchdowns in the third quarter. A missed extra point, however, proved to be the difference in the game.

Lockhart's Dominque Hardaway, who entered the game with 962 yards rushing, needed just three carries to break the 1,000-yard barrier early in the first quarter. Despite his effort, Hays dominated the first half, scoring touchdowns on a pair of time-consuming drives.

Hardaway finished the game with 155 yards on 36 carries. Lockhart (4-3, 0-2) also received 151 yards from tailback Richard Ybarra.

In a game matching two powerful ground attacks, Hays running back Torrance Smith capped a 61-yard touchdown drive on the Rebels' first possession with a 19-yard run midway into the first quarter.

After Hays stopped the Lions on fourth down, Berry, the leading rusher, bolted 51 yards for a touchdown, increasing the lead to 14-0.

Lockhart's lone touchdown of the half was a 9-yard run around right end by Kory Robbins.

The Lions had an opportunity to tie the score in the final 30 seconds of the half, driving to the Hays 9, but quarterback Tyler Tolley's pass was intercepted at the goal line by linebacker Kyle Werth, who returned it 46 yards.

As he walked off the field late Friday night, Shelton was repeatedly asked how much longer will he coach. He was reminded that he needs only 23 more wins to reach 300 at Hays. His first 23 career victories were at Buda High, beginning in 1964.

"I'm not trying to give hints about anything, but I'm not going to be doing this that much longer," Shelton said.

Then again, he said that last year ... and the year before that.

The 300 club

Texas' all-time winningest high school football coaches. Active coaches' records are reflected through last week's games, save for Phil Danaher and Bob Shelton, whose records are current.

Coach School W L T

1. G.A. Moore Celina 408 78 9

2. Gordon Wood Brownwood 396 92 15

3. Phil Danaher* Corpus Christi Calallen 340 87 4

4. Charlie Johnston Childress 314 94 8

5. Dennis Alexander* Harleton 307 104 11

6. Eddy Peach* Arlington Lamar 304 115 6

7. Bob Shelton* Hays 300 175 7

*active

AAS link (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/sports/stories/highschool/10/18/1018hays.html)

Ranger Mom
10-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Congrats!!:clap:

On a side note....I am a descendant of the "old 300."

Anybody remember them from your History books??

I didn't....when I got the paperwork in, I had to look it up to see what the heck they were talking about!!:blush: :blush:

popcorn screen
10-18-2008, 11:29 AM
lots of wins on that list. congrats.

CenTexSports
10-18-2008, 11:30 AM
"The Old 300" - Isn't that four generations of women that all weighed over 300#. I think one played football for A&M.

NastySlot
10-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Congrats!!:clap:

On a side note....I am a descendant of the "old 300."

Anybody remember them from your History books??

I didn't....when I got the paperwork in, I had to look it up to see what the heck they were talking about!!:blush: :blush:

I remember......moses austin original grant allowed him to bring 300 settlers to mexico......but sfa had to bring them causes moses died....and he didn't bring 300.....the number fell short.