PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Hill @ Wimberley

LH Panther Mom
10-18-2008, 08:24 AM
This is a HUGE rivalry game, at least for LH. Wimberley's record (IMO) is deceiving at 4-3. Our last loss came at the hands of Wimberley on their turf. Here's my mom logic on why we'll win. ;)

My oldest son was a senior the last time he played on the Texan field in 2002. We dismantled them 22-8. This is the middle son's senior season. Karma? Of course! :D

GO PANTHERS! :cheerl: :cheerl:

gold_33
10-18-2008, 03:14 PM
We've had two weeks to prepare and rest up. We're no strangers to LH's offense and our run D has been pretty solid so far this year so I think this game will be pretty competitive. If we limit the turnovers and force some fumbles we have a shot.

solocam
10-18-2008, 03:21 PM
Cats march on to District Title

Silverback 04
10-18-2008, 04:25 PM
This game is prime for an upset. If all those things previously mentioned occur, then Wimberley can win. That said, if LH plays their game, I don't think Wimberley will win. LH has played a rock hard schedule and found a way to win, my guess is they do so again. But I'm still, verrrry nervous!

RiverRat19
10-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Should be an awesome game! Stay healthy and good luck to both teams!

Daddy D 11
10-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by gold_33
We've had two weeks to prepare and rest up. We're no strangers to LH's offense and our run D has been pretty solid so far this year so I think this game will be pretty competitive. If we limit the turnovers and force some fumbles we have a shot.

I do not like that Nelms and Co. has had 2 weeks to prepare, not good. I think I'm going to make this game.

ProudHornetMom
10-18-2008, 05:40 PM
LH continues to dominate with thier game. Wimberly is good but LH doesn't know how to lose. ;)

LH Panther Mom
10-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
I do not like that Nelms and Co. has had 2 weeks to prepare, not good. I think I'm going to make this game.
Well, they had a game and a bye. ;)

bandera7
10-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Wimberely as a program also has that swagger that LH has developed. NOT a bad thing, actually quite necessary to compete at a high level consistently in my opinion. I gurantee you that Wimberley will expect themselves to win this game, because good programs always expect to win. Should be better than many think.

cookiemonster
10-18-2008, 09:19 PM
I respect both programs but LH will run away with this one.

lange4
10-18-2008, 10:46 PM
I have seen Wimberley play two times this season. Burnet I Have seen play 3 times. Liberty Hill I have not had the pleasure of seeing yet, but I will. The Burnet, Wimberley game was a close one that I believe hinged on refs calls late in the game. Not the actual throwing of flags but thier stoppage of the game to discuss certain items that let Wimberley get thier feet back under them with a 5 minute stoppage of play with all of the momentum on Burnet's side. That let Wimberley settle down. With that said I believe that if you stop that fresh RB you stop Wimberley. He is the key. Play a dissaplined defense and I believe you may control Wimberley.

Daddy D 11
10-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Heard yesterday that Wimberley is forfeiting this game out of fear? :stirpot: Is this true?:devil:

LH in another barnburner:)

wimbo_pro
10-19-2008, 12:56 PM
It's not too complicated...

LH is the best team in all 3A. If they are hitting on 90% of their cylinders, they beat anyone they play.

Wimberley is better than average, and getting better each game. If they hit on 100% of their cylinders, they can beat anyone on their schedule....EXCEPT a LH team that is hitting on just 90% of their cylinders.

I know this is a circular way of saying the obvious...If Wimberley plays their absolute best...AND the Panthers stumble, Wimberley can win. If LH is rock solid, this could get ugly.

Super_R
10-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Wimberley has had 2 weeks to prepare. LH has had 3. Ingram...Fisher...and this week. Both teams will be well versed on what the other will try and do.

LH will do what they do...pound the rock.

Wim has relied an aweful lot on the legs of the freshman running back. They are going to ask him to carry them to victory...that is a tall order for any player to do...especially a freshman.

Its' been 750 days since the Panthers have known what defeat felt like. They have stared defeat in the face on several ocassions this year. Hell they even put his jacket on against Burnet...good thing for us that it didn't fit. LH is a smart ball club. They know that it takes more than a purple and black helmet with gold interlocking LH on it to win. They will be ready to maintain the streak and all but lock in another District Championship.

TexanAlum_06
10-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Well its that time of the year again!!! This should be a good game. I think we are competitve enough to make this a close game. Our coaches have the mindset and knowlegde of how to slow down this offense enough to win. Better than anybody LH has played in the last 4 years if you look at the numbers. But to execute the gameplan they put together you have to have the talent to do it and quite frankly we have not had that defensive talent since 2005. Anyway I think we will make some stops and make things interesting but if LH plays lights out and Wimberley plays lights out I just dont think we will have enough to win outright. BUT if LH puts the ball on the turf 3-4 times and we can turn those gifts into points then we have a good chance to pull off the upset. The youngsters on this team have not played a team of this caliber or in a game this big in their young varsity careers. that will play a factor. the two late 4th quarter meltdowns we have had against dripping springs and la vernia this year will help us mentally in games like this even though those 2 losses still sting quite a bit....

My prediction:
Home field advantage, a couple of fumbles from LH, and a trick play or 2 still arent enough to overcome some of the mental mistakes we will make and consistency of LH. I think the game is close at halftime but LH pulls away late in the 2nd half to win 35-21.

All in all I just hope for some good entertainment friday night and a clean hard fought battle on the grid iron!

LH Panther Mom
10-20-2008, 05:42 AM
Under Vance, the series stands at 3-4. (Funny that the Wimberley folks only want to mention the past 4 years. :p ) It's time to even it!

And did I mention the last loss came to Wimberley? :mad: I'm sure the 6 seniors that were on the field that night have not forgotten. Paybacks can be so ugly. :devil:

Oh, and Super R.....very nice! :) 750 days is a lot!

Super_R
10-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

Oh, and Super R.....very nice! :) 750 days is a lot!

It's 751 now.

Daddy D 11
10-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Super_R
Wimberley has had 2 weeks to prepare. LH has had 3. Ingram...Fisher...and this week. Both teams will be well versed on what the other will try and do.

LH will do what they do...pound the rock.

Wim has relied an aweful lot on the legs of the freshman running back. They are going to ask him to carry them to victory...that is a tall order for any player to do...especially a freshman.

Its' been 750 days since the Panthers have known what defeat felt like. They have stared defeat in the face on several ocassions this year. Hell they even put his jacket on against Burnet...good thing for us that it didn't fit. LH is a smart ball club. They know that it takes more than a purple and black helmet with gold interlocking LH on it to win. They will be ready to maintain the streak and all but lock in another District Championship.

I was waiting for you to get on haha

You got room in the silver bullet come friday night? I might need a ride to see this one:)

I_DONT_CARE
10-20-2008, 09:17 AM
It's 751 now.
IS THAT ALL? THE WAY YOU PEOPLE BRAG, I THOUGHT IT HAD TO BE 1000. :rolleyes:

Daddy D 11
10-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by I_DONT_CARE
IS THAT ALL? THE WAY YOU PEOPLE BRAG, I THOUGHT IT HAD TO BE 1000. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

wimbo_pro
10-20-2008, 11:22 AM
With a little bit of luck and a fired up young team (not to mention the homer refs), we can put an end to the "Victory Clock" for LH. :D

LH Panther Mom
10-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
With a little bit of luck and a fired up young team (not to mention the homer refs), we can put an end to the "Victory Clock" for LH. :D
I guess my rule book came just in time! :devil:

Daddy D 11
10-20-2008, 11:29 AM
How's Wimberley Defensive Line?:devil:

wimbo_pro
10-20-2008, 11:29 AM
I guess my rule book came just in time! :devil:

Oh yes...THAT will surely help.

Daddy D 11
10-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Oh yes...THAT will surely help.

I heard that in ya'lls off week, ya'll found out that Biddle, Buse, Thompson, Weldon and Skunda all have another year of eligibilty left? Is this true? :thinking: :1omg!:

wimbo_pro
10-20-2008, 11:33 AM
How's Wimberley Defensive Line?:devil:

They are doing pretty well overall. Again, they are young, but as you know, our defensive coach is excellent and has a system that has given you guys fits over the last 4-5 years (more or less), so he will get the most out of them. You will find them to be small (as compared to your O-line) but agressive and well coached. But come to think about it, we have always been smaller than most.

Our losses have come mostly from the turnover department, so we hope for the best in this regard.

wimbo_pro
10-20-2008, 11:34 AM
I heard that in ya'lls off week, ya'll found out that Biddle, Buse, Thompson, Weldon and Skunda all have another year of eligibilty left? Is this true? :thinking: :1omg!:

Yes..and Buck Burnet has left UT to finish his eligibility with us, putting UT's #1 ranking in jeopardy.

Daddy D 11
10-20-2008, 11:35 AM
They are doing pretty well overall. Again, they are young, but as you know, our defensive coach is excellent and has a system that has given you guys fits over the last 4-5 years (more or less), so he will get the most out of them. You will find them to be small (as compared to your O-line) but agressive and well coached. But come to think about it, we have always been smaller than most.

Our losses have come mostly from the turnover department, so we hope for the best in this regard.

I hate playing ya'll because of your DC.

Super_R
10-20-2008, 01:04 PM
I'll find a spot for D11. What time you rolling in?

TexanAlum_06
10-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Our defense has some size and speed. But the trick is getting the LB's and DL to fully trust the sytem and gameplan that Coach Smith will put together for them and put the time in watching film and studying the game plan and LH's offense. In 2004 and 2005 Biddle and most of the defensive leaders put in 20+ hours of watching film with the coaches and at home to prepare for LH and I dont know if these young kids will show or understand that it takes that type of preperation for a team and game like this.

Our coaches have the gameplan and knowledge of what needs to be done to slow down this rushing attack. But whether or not we have enough talent and players to execute that gameplan is my big question mark.

I_DONT_CARE
10-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
defensive leaders put in 20+ hours of watching film with the coaches and at home to prepare for LH
20+ HOURS? IS THAT LEGAL? :eek: :thinking:

Daddy D 11
10-20-2008, 03:53 PM
I'll find a spot for D11. What time you rolling in?

I'll be back around 4 on Wednesday:)

OldBison75
10-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Liberty Hill will lose again sometime, but I can't see it happening this week. The youth at Wimberly will keep them emotionally in the game for a while but LH will wear them down. Any mistake that they make will just add fuel to the LH freight train. My guess is that LH wins by 21.

gold_33
10-20-2008, 05:53 PM
This game is always tight no matter the records. Last year we held with LH until the 2nd half before they pulled away. I think LH was better last year than they are this year and we seem to be better now than we were when we played them last so I believe it'll be close. This game reminds me of the '04 year when LH came to our house ranked and no one gave us a chance with our young team but we pulled the upset. Our kids see this offense from the time they're in 7th grade until now so they're prepared and with our bye being last week it gives them extra time to prepare and focus. We just need to find some intensity and play Code Red football something we've seem to have lost recently.

LH Panther Mom
10-20-2008, 09:01 PM
I'll be back around 4 on Wednesday:)
We need to find each other Friday - I still have your thing.

solocam
10-20-2008, 09:18 PM
:eek: :rolleyes: :doh:

LH Panther Mom
10-20-2008, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by solocam
:eek: :rolleyes: :doh:
:doh: :doh: dvd

Panther One
10-21-2008, 12:30 AM
If I were to guess, I'd say Wimberley has been working on their screen packages and is also hoping to catch us in a lot of man-to-man coverage. They'd love to run a skinny post with the slot receiver matched up on one of our strong safeties. They're also going to test our corners early and often, and they'll more than likely be bailed out of some long yardage situations with pass interference calls. I think they'll have Scudder rolling out of the pocket quite a bit and it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up with a decent rushing night off of QB scrambles. With refs finally admitting that holding inside the shoulders is allowed, it seems like teams are getting away with even more this year, so getting pressure with only our front four probably won't happen. We'll mix in some blitzes and probably get burned once or twice because of it, but they'll also lead to a big defensive play here and there.

Defensively, I don't see Wimberley straying too far from what they've done in the past, and you can bet our offense will bring what we always bring. There shouldn't be as many surprises in that matchup.

On a final note, in 2006 when we matched up in Wimberley, we had six holding penalties to Wimberley's zero. In such an offensive shootout, that was HUGE, as the only time we punted or were held on downs were on series in which we incurred a penalty. Those are the types of officiating discrepancies that give Wimberley a chance at victory in any game played on their field. We survived Wylie's home cooking. Hopefully we can do it again in Wimberley.

wimbo_pro
10-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Already complaining about refs? Oh come on Panther One...stop it. Thats the old Liberty Hill fan mantra...your boys deserve better. One good thing for us non-LH fans that has come out of your long winning streak is not having to listen to "ref-bashing".

Regarding Scudder out of the pocket...I dunno, thats been part of our problem this year. Most interceptions have come when he is scrambling. Not bashing him, just saying some QB's are better when they are set and some when they scramble (Marino vs. Montana?)...he is a "set" QB. Also, due to his ankle break he suffered a few years ago, he never really gained his speed back. You can see him favor the ankle when he runs even to this day...it was a far more severe of a break than anyone predicted. I salute him for playing through it the last 2 years.

Daddy D 11
10-21-2008, 09:34 AM

Okay:D

This is my second game of the year to see and I have a feeling it's going to be as tight as the first one I saw in Abilene.

And Super R, what time are you leaving Friday?

wimbo_pro
10-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Just as a point of interest....Massey predicts a LH victory of 36-22.

Beast Fan
10-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Already complaining about refs? Oh come on Panther One...stop it. Thats the old Liberty Hill fan mantra...your boys deserve better. One good thing for us non-LH fans that has come out of your long winning streak is not having to listen to "ref-bashing".

Home Referee Advantage at Wimberley is a well known fact. I overheard two guys in North Dakota talking about it last week. Panthers still roll. 3 Tds at least.

roughneck_2008
10-21-2008, 08:08 PM
hey i think i can actually make this game, how do u get the stadium in wimberley from san marcos

LH Panther Mom
10-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by roughneck_2008
hey i think i can actually make this game, how do u get the stadium in wimberley from san marcos
I'll probably screw it up, but I'll give it a shot.

Take RR 12 to Wimberley. When you get into town, you'll take FM 2325 toward Blanco. The stadium will be on your left just at the edge of town.

gold_33
10-22-2008, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by roughneck_2008

You'll take RR12 about 10-12 miles west until you get to the junction of Fm32 and 12. Take a right on 12 which will take you into Wimb then go to the 2nd stop light and go left on 2325 follow that about two miles and stadium is on the left.

K-MAC Chuck
10-22-2008, 07:44 AM
For the 2 cents it's worth...

Info Box:
Texans have dominated Panthers
Since hooking up on a regular basis since 1996, Wimberley has won 8 of 12 matchups with Liberty Hill. The season-by-season results, with year, winner and winning score listed:

1996: Wimberley, 24-13
1997: Wimberley, 12-7
1998: Wimberley, 28-0
1999: Liberty Hill, 28-21
2000: Wimberley, 48-14
2001: Wimberley, 21-0
2002: Liberty Hill, 22-8
2003: Liberty Hill, 46-19
2004: Wimberley, 19-14
2005: Wimberley, 23-9
2006: Wimberley, 48-44
2007: Liberty Hill, 35-10

Headline: Nelms says Wimberley team, community ready for classic Friday Night battle

By Chuck Licata
Independent Sports Editor

Wimberley High School football coach Weldon Nelms is happy to have a team in his current situation.
The Texans are undefeated in District 8-3A (at 3-0) headed into Friday night’s showdown with the Liberty Hill High School Panthers (4-0, 8-0 overall).
It’s ironic but not surprising the two teams are at this point. The Texans (Class 3A, Division I state champs in 2005) and the Panthers (state champs in ’06 and ’07) have a hand in the last three state championships.
The reason Nelms is happy? The Texans, after a season-opening 40-0 slaughter of Luling, dropped three straight games (to Dripping Springs, La Vernia and Bandera).
“We had some tough breaks in those games,” Nelms said Wednesday morning. “We had some young, inexperienced kids out there. We shot ourselves in the foot a few times during that streak. Now, the kids keep learning each and every week.”
The Texans entered 8-3A play with an open mind – and immediately became the district competitor as expected. They knocked off (in order of appearance) Burnet, Ingram Moore and Canyon Lake before having their bye week last week.
Granted, Ingram Moore and Canyon Lake don’t provide much competition (just ask the Panthers, who clobbered both the past two weeks by a combined 118-0). But the Bulldogs of Burnet are “salty,” as LHHS fans are well aware.
Then there’s the rivalry factor going into this game. While Jerry Vance’s Panthers have dominated the competition of late (32 consecutive wins to go with the two straight state titles), the Texans are not intimidated.
Fact: Since 1996, Wimberley has won eight of 12 games against Liberty Hill. The Texans have outscored the Panthers by a 281-232 margin in that time, including shutouts in 1998 and 2001.
Oh yah – the two teams hooked up in a bi-district playoff game in 1992. Result? Wimberley 48, Liberty Hill 7.
And to add insult to injury, the Texans are the last team to beat the Panthers before Liberty Hill’s current 32-game win streak (2006, a 48-44 non-district victory).
“This is a great rivalry,” Nelms said in an obvious understatement. “We have a lot of respect for them (the Panthers). They have a great program and are on a great run. Every year they graduate really good senior (players) yet they always have kids ready to step in and take their places.”
Nelms continued, “This game has become a good ‘measuring stick’ for both teams. Right now Liberty Hill is (in a place where) we want to be; they’re a team we want to be like.”
Nelms is convinced Friday night’s game – with the teams, fans and atmosphere – has the settings for a Friday night “classic.”
“We know Liberty Hill will bring a swarm of fans,” Nelms explained. “We don’t have the greatest football stadium – it’s smaller by most standards. But it’ll be a great battle on the field, the place will be rockin’ with fans on both sides and it’ll be a great high school football atmosphere.”

firstcat
10-22-2008, 08:23 AM
great article!

Classic rivals at their best!

Another plus for me...my nephew will be singing the National Anthem!

wimbo_pro
10-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by firstcat
great article!

Classic rivals at their best!

Another plus for me...my nephew will be singing the National Anthem!

You're kidding!!!! Thats great!! His name?? i assume he is from Wimberley?

Daddy D 11
10-22-2008, 09:01 AM
I'm singing it:evillol: :evillol:

wimbo_pro
10-22-2008, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Beast Fan
Home Referee Advantage at Wimberley is a well known fact. I overheard two guys in North Dakota talking about it last week. Panthers still roll. 3 Tds at least.

Oh yes...it was in USA Today a few weeks ago about the "homer ref" probelm in Wimberley. They used our record as of late to prove their point that we always win at home.

Daddy D 11
10-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Oh yes...it was in USA Today a few weeks ago about the "homer ref" probelm in Wimberley. They used our record as of late to prove their point that we always win at home.

I remember reading that actually:D :p

Daddy D 11
10-22-2008, 09:07 AM
It's a shame this thread is only 2 pages, remember the good ole' days on TexasPrep where this game would get wayyy outta hand? :clap: Those were the best!

wimbo_pro
10-22-2008, 10:14 AM
It's a shame this thread is only 2 pages, remember the good ole' days on TexasPrep where this game would get wayyy outta hand? :clap: Those were the best!

Those days will return. Next year and the following, when our talent levels are a lot closer together. It's a huge spread right now.

Daddy D 11
10-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Those days will return. Next year and the following, when our talent levels are a lot closer together. It's a huge spread right now.

Very true.

Bull's-eye
10-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Wimberley is 5-1 in even numbered years & only 3-3 in odd years. :thinking:

wimbo_pro
10-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Very true, Bulls_Eye...

And if you check out the years that LHPM's tennis elbow prevented her cowbell ringing to be as loud as usual, we also won 5-0!!!

Bull's-eye
10-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Very true, Bulls_Eye...

And if you check out the years that LHPM's tennis elbow prevented her cowbell ringing to be as loud as usual, we also won 5-0!!!

Since this is the 2008 season and if LHPM's elbow is bothering her, I'll take Wimberley in a upset.

firstcat
10-22-2008, 11:01 AM
You're kidding!!!! Thats great!! His name?? i assume he is from Wimberley?

He's FROM Liberty Hill...he just lives and goes to school in Wimberley.
;)

His name is Dusty Vickers, he's a freshman.

firstcat
10-22-2008, 11:03 AM
He's FROM Liberty Hill...he just lives and goes to school in Wimberley.
;)

His name is Dusty Vickers, he's a freshman.

I really did try to get him to yell "GO PANTHERS!" when he finishes the song, but he didn't bite.

wimbo_pro
10-22-2008, 12:01 PM
I really did try to get him to yell "GO PANTHERS!" when he finishes the song, but he didn't bite.

Good thing he didnt bite...though it has been years since we strung up anyone before kickoff.

firstcat
10-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Good thing he didnt bite...though it has been years since we strung up anyone before kickoff.

:p

firstcat
10-22-2008, 04:06 PM
:p

Man, the Wimberley/LH week was fun at one time...:( :dispntd: :dispntd:

wimbo_pro
10-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Man, the Wimberley/LH week was fun at one time...:( :dispntd: :dispntd:

Well, if you rule-breaking cheaters would lose a game once in a while, maybe we all could enjoy the football season a little more!!!

LH Panther Mom
10-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Well, if you rule-breaking cheaters would lose a game once in a while, maybe we all could enjoy the football season a little more!!!
If you would ever get officials that knew the rules, we wouldn't be in the position of breaking them. :devil:

wimbo_pro
10-22-2008, 04:29 PM
If you would ever get officials that knew the rules, we wouldn't be in the position of breaking them. :devil:

If you would quit holding as much as two fighters in a boring UFC match, maybe we wouldnt NEED refs.

firstcat
10-22-2008, 04:46 PM
If you would quit holding as much as two fighters in a boring UFC match, maybe we wouldnt NEED refs.

If ya'll had something that resembled the old CODE RED instead of a putrid watered-down pinkish, then we might have a MATCH on our hands!!!!

wimbo_pro
10-22-2008, 04:48 PM
If ya'll had something that resembled the old CODE RED instead of a putrid watered-down pinkish, then we might have a MATCH on our hands!!!!

Now THAT hurt.

firstcat
10-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Now THAT hurt.

dang it! Just when I thought we had rekindled the old flame! Don't go Wimpo-Bro on us now!:stirpot: :evillol:

wimbo_pro
10-22-2008, 05:09 PM
dang it! Just when I thought we had rekindled the old flame! Don't go Wimpo-Bro on us now!:stirpot: :evillol:

Oh yeah?? Well...your team is so slow that they used a sun dial to time them in the 40!!!

firstcat
10-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Oh yeah?? Well...your team is so slow that they used a sun dial to time them in the 40!!!

Did they use the same sun dial to measure the amount of time that has passed since ya'll won a ring?

wimbo_pro
10-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Did they use the same sun dial to measure the amount of time that has passed since ya'll won a ring?

You don't play nice.

navscanmaster
10-22-2008, 08:15 PM
This thread is making me laugh. Great stuff. You may continue.:cool:

firstcat
10-22-2008, 08:15 PM
You don't play nice.

talking about slow..... when asked what the texans ran their 40's in, they replied.... "shorts"

firstcat
10-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
This thread is making me laugh. Great stuff. You may continue.:cool:

hey navscan! how's the snakebite tour?

firstcat
10-22-2008, 08:27 PM
You don't play nice.

:1popcorn: where'd you go wimpo-bro!

LH Panther Mom
10-22-2008, 08:28 PM
talking about slow..... when asked what the texans ran their 40's in, they replied.... "shorts"
:evillol: :evillol: :evillol:

rockdale80
10-22-2008, 08:30 PM
I have only watched Wimberly play Luling this year and neither teams looked very impressive. I say Liberty Hill rolls as usual.:)

wimbo_pro
10-22-2008, 08:34 PM
I heard that in the two-a-days, Coach Vance told the players that tomorrow to be in full pads...one player asked "the ones with wings?"

catdaddy
10-22-2008, 10:54 PM
I overheared your coach telling the Defense they couldn't hit the water if they fell out of a boat......
http://img2.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/fighting/fighting0043.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-unhappy-smileys.php)

prettyNpurple
10-23-2008, 08:43 AM
I heard that in the two-a-days, Coach Vance told the players that tomorrow to be in full pads...one player asked "the ones with wings?"

yeah, but that player moved to Wimberley so he could be a starter.:devil:

LH Panther Mom
10-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by prettyNpurple
yeah, but that player moved to Wimberley so he could be a starter.:devil:
:evillol: :evillol: :evillol: Welcome! :D

firstcat
10-23-2008, 08:51 AM
LH 56
Wimberley 35

wimbo_pro
10-23-2008, 09:49 AM
LH 56
Wimberley 35

...and we were having such fun there for a while...

wimbo_pro
10-23-2008, 09:52 AM
<<<From the "Pickem" thread>>>

If anyone knows what it takes to beat LH, it's Wimberley. But we "knew" how to beat them last year as well, but just got worn down by a bigger, better and faster team. Will it be different this year?

Here are some reasons why its possible THIS year:

1) LH struggled to beat Burnet in the last seconds, yet Wimberley beat Burnet.
2) When clicking, Wimberely has a good passing game (spread) that CAN be troublesome for a team like LH.
3) Wimberely "wrote the book" on the run defense against the LH powerhouse offense. If they can execute it properly and early, and they get LH out of their comfort zone, it might help to prevent getting worn down by a bigger team.
4) This is a real rivalry...emotions take over in these games, sometimes making up for talent gaps. It happens.
5) It's on Wimberley's home turf, where its well known we pay our refs generously (I threw this one in to give the LH fans something to chew on).

OldBison75
10-23-2008, 10:15 AM
I noticed that the Wimberly people are resorting to comparing score against common opponents to plead thier case. Yes, LH had a hard fought win against Burnet. BIG DEAL. They had a hard fought game with Wylie too. I don't think Wimberly would beat Wylie and I don't think they will beat LH.

Since the last time Wimberly beat LH, LH has won a bunch of games in a row. What has Wimberly done since then? Like I said earlier in this thread, LH will lose someday, but not this week. The Wimberly faithful talk about the defense scheme that they have found to be succesful against LH and I submit that if it was so successful, whay haven't they beaten them lately. Like Nascar using restrictor plates to slow down the sppeds, they did not stop the same top teams from winning the majority of races. I know a bunch of teams that can slow down a scoring machine, but very few that can keep the machine from finishing.

In that regard, I think the performance of this year's LH team so far is a true testament to the team and the coaching staff. They don't have all the weapons they have had the last two years, but they know how to win and win using what brung them to where they are.

wimbo_pro
10-23-2008, 10:24 AM
No one is disagreeing with your assessment, OldBison. If you were to re-read my post, you would see that I used words as "if" and "possible" and "can be"....everyone knows LH is the best team in 3A football. Everyone knows LH is a far more mature and talented team than Wimberley is at the moment. Everyone knows our chances are not good, if taken strictly by the stats....

But what do you want us to do? Fold up and conceed? Just give up? Not show up? Don't discuss even the remote possibility of winning?

This is a message board where we discuss things...and I am discussing how it MIGHT be possible that we can beat LH. Now, if you find my reasonings to be ridiculous, then so be it. But in every game there is hope. And we are hopeful we can pull off a huge upset tomorrow.

firstcat
10-23-2008, 10:30 AM

This is a message board where we discuss things...and I am discussing how it MIGHT be possible that we can beat LH. Now, if you find my reasonings to be ridiculous, then so be it. But in every game there is hope. And we are hopeful we can pull off a huge upset tomorrow.

Oh yeah??? Well I heard...:stirpot:

wimbo_pro
10-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Don't get me going again, FirstCat.

prettyNpurple
10-23-2008, 11:11 AM
:bigcry:

firstcat
10-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Didn't mean to upset you Wimbo...Hey,

Bet you don't know who your Anthem singer's big brother is?????

bona fide
10-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Watched Wimberley play back in '05...hell of a defense!

Watched LH play last year...hell of a defense!

Defense is the key to this game. The best defense is a good offense when you're playing against the Panthers. I don't know if this year's Wimberley team has the offensive stamina, but time will tell, and I think I smell upset.

DaHop72
10-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Sweetwater over Snyder

This sounds right to me!

:tongue: :tongue: So much for sitting on your side again.
:devil:

firstcat
10-23-2008, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DaHop72
[B]Sweetwater over Snyder

Awww, don't turn me away because of this! It was just an uneducated guess!

;)

All out CAT
10-23-2008, 11:44 AM

I bet I do. He's salty, head-hunter in deed!

wimbo_pro
10-23-2008, 11:53 AM

Do tell!

AggieBob
10-23-2008, 12:22 PM

My years on Varsity...:D

2003 was especially great!

AggieBob
10-23-2008, 12:26 PM
<<<From the "Pickem" thread>>>

If anyone knows what it takes to beat LH, it's Wimberley. But we "knew" how to beat them last year as well, but just got worn down by a bigger, better and faster team. Will it be different this year?

Here are some reasons why its possible THIS year:

1) LH struggled to beat Burnet in the last seconds, yet Wimberley beat Burnet.
2) When clicking, Wimberely has a good passing game (spread) that CAN be troublesome for a team like LH.
3) Wimberely "wrote the book" on the run defense against the LH powerhouse offense. If they can execute it properly and early, and they get LH out of their comfort zone, it might help to prevent getting worn down by a bigger team.
4) This is a real rivalry...emotions take over in these games, sometimes making up for talent gaps. It happens.
5) It's on Wimberley's home turf, where its well known we pay our refs generously (I threw this one in to give the LH fans something to chew on).

3) If teams were smart they would go back and look at how Coach Shipley from Burnet ran a D against LH's offense. HE wrote a better book than wimberly...

LH Panther Mom
10-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by AggieBob

My years on Varsity...:D

2003 was especially great!
I'm partial to 2002 myself. A) It was on THEIR field and B) well, you know why!

Good to see you on here! :kiss:

firstcat
10-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Do tell!

A certain Panther that wears #21...I think you've heard of him...

wimbo_pro
10-23-2008, 01:16 PM
OK LHPM...I think I have a grip on the chances of LH going DI this year. Slim indeed.

Scenario #1:
Llano wins out and beats both Wimberley and LH (and Canyon of course). This would give Llano a 5-1 record (only loss-Burnet).
Then....
LH loses to Llano but beats Wimberley, ends up with 5-1.
Burnet will end up 4-2, and since Burnet lost to Wimberley in head-to-head, Wimberley and LH and Llano advance, LH goes D1.

Scenario #2:
LH loses its next two games against Wimberley and Llano, they will be 4-2, with tie-breaker in their favor against Burnet.
If Wimberley beats LH and loses to Llano and beats Freds, they will be 5-1.
Assuming Llano wins out, they will be 5-1. LH goes DI.

Scenario #3:
Burnet loses to either Ingram or Canyon Lake, making them 3-3.

CONCLUSION:

For LH to go DI this year:
First, if Burnet loses to either one of the two weakest teams in the state (Ingram and Canyon), then LH goes DI. All other possibilities dont matter if they lose them both.

OR

Llano MUST win its next three (Canyon, Wimberley, LH), giving them a 5-1 record in district, avoiding a tie breaker with Burnet, which they lose due to head-to-head game. Also, Wimberley MUST win one of their remaining 3 games (LH, Llano, Freds) to give them a 4-2 record, beating out Burnet due to head-to-head. Then, LH goes DI.

I hope this clears things up.

wimbo_pro
10-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by AggieBob
3) If teams were smart they would go back and look at how Coach Shipley from Burnet ran a D against LH's offense. HE wrote a better book than wimberly...

No, he didnt. He never played and beat LH when they were in their prime. And by the way...did Shipley ever win a state title?

ratherbfishin
10-23-2008, 01:40 PM
LH by 3 TD's eeeezzzzzyyyy.... Sorry folks, but live in the now. LH is the real deal and Wimperly is even on the same level. Maybe back in the day of Wimperly's 2 team district(what a joke), when they played maybe 2 tough games a year, but not now........ just an opinion....yall play nice now....

;)

wimbo_pro
10-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by ratherbfishin
LH by 3 TD's eeeezzzzzyyyy.... Sorry folks, but live in the now. LH is the real deal and Wimperly is even on the same level. Maybe back in the day of Wimperly's 2 team district(what a joke), when they played maybe 2 tough games a year, but not now........ just an opinion....yall play nice now....

;)

You could be right about this weekend...but I must say you sound very bitter about us winning state a few years ago and beating LH 3 out of the last 4 years. Did we beat the berjeebers out of you as well? It would appear so.

Of course we arent even in the same league this year...or the last...but is Burnet? Things can happen, my bitter friend. We will need a lot of luck and a great execution by our young team to win this...and at least 4 turnovers from LH.

But we wont be bitter afterwards...are you seeking help with that?

ratherbfishin
10-23-2008, 01:52 PM
No, not bitter friend. Just stating the obvious. Wimberly was never tested until the last 2 weeks of the season. During that championship span, yall would have been hard pressed to get out of lets say WOS district or the La Vega district. Then you finally get some competition and look what happens... Loss one in Giddings, and then lose to Hondo...Hondo??? Get the drift??? Anyway, I didn't mean to ruffle feathers, I'll quietly walk away and sincerely wish good luck to both teams. I'm off to the lake.

wimbo_pro
10-23-2008, 02:00 PM
No, not bitter friend. Just stating the obvious. Wimberly was never tested until the last 2 weeks of the season. During that championship span, yall would have been hard pressed to get out of lets say WOS district or the La Vega district. Then you finally get some competition and look what happens... Loss one in Giddings, and then lose to Hondo...Hondo??? Get the drift??? Anyway, I didn't mean to ruffle feathers, I'll quietly walk away and sincerely wish good luck to both teams. I'm off to the lake.

Funny how he fails to mention we gave WOS their worst beating in the history of their school when it counted...in the play offs. And of course he doesnt mention we also beat Gainesville, a great tradition. Hmmmm...wonder how badly we beat him?

Enjoy the perch jerking.

ratherbfishin
10-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Enjoy the perch jerking. [/B]

Don't know what that means... But good luck to both teams anyway.....

wimbo_pro
10-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Don't know what that means... But good luck to both teams anyway.....

Jerking Perch out of the water....duhhhh.

ratherbfishin
10-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Jerking Perch out of the water....duhhhh.

Guess I should have know that...lol...I'm a bass fisherman...lol

gold_33
10-23-2008, 03:24 PM
I think the talent level is closer than people think the only difference is the experience. I have no doubt in my mind we'll have the most talented player on the field friday, the only thing is he's a freshman playing in his first really big game, so how he handles it may determine how close this game is. Last year we did not have the talent or depth to hang with LH for 4 quarters but we still made it a game for a half and that mostly comes from the coaches just knowing how to prepare our kids for this offense. Its built to stop the run and we have done a better job than just about anyone in the state of actually slowing down LH. The kids have had 2 full weeks to practice nothing but stopping LH's offense and I think that will play a key in this game. Our loses this season have been mostly because of our own self destruction to some pretty good teams, Dripping Springs(8-0) we were up by 14 then had two turnovers that cost us, LaVernia (7-1 and beat Cuero) we were up 17-14 but had a fumble ran back for a TD that cost us. So if we manage the game and cut the turnovers down i think this game will be closer than many people think. No matter what the records are this is always an exciting game with a huge crowd and great atmosphere, on what should be a great night for football!!

wimbo_pro
10-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Gold-33 makes some darned good points that I didnt think of...

WE'RE GONNA WIN!!! WE'RE GONNA WIN!!!!

DaHop72
10-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Gold-33 makes some darned good points that I didnt think of...

WE'RE GONNA WIN!!! WE'RE GONNA WIN!!!! SHUT UP WIMPY!!!!!!!

Tailback
10-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Liberty Hill should be able to win this game pretty easily. However, it is a big rivalry game so i believe it will be a close one. Playing in Wimberley scares me, having the home field advantage will be a huge factor. Also, Wimberley would just love to be the ones to end Liberty Hill's streak. I will have to disagree with gold_33.. I have heard this freshman running back is the real deal, but I wouldn't say that he will be the most talented player on the field. In my opinion, the most talented player in this game will be #21 for LH. We will see how this freshman matches up with the senior linebacker. I do agree that the Wimberley coaches do a good job of preparing their players for LH, but I don't think that Wimberley has done that great of a job of stopping the offense. Liberty Hill has scored 79 combined points the last two seasons. While Wimberley has had 2 weeks to prepare, Liberty Hill has had 3 now, so we will see.

Prediction:
LH-42
Wim-28

I wish I could make it to this one. This is going to be a great game so "get your popcorn ready".

gold_33
10-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Lh has not had 3 weeks to prepare. Just because they've played CL and Ingram doesnt mean they were preparing for our team it means they've had two easy weeks to rest up and get healthy they havent been practicing for Wimberley. We had a bye last week so that means for the past two weeks we've been workin just on LH's offense and that game plan. We played the same teams the two weeks before our bye but it doesnt mean we were game plannin for LH. #21 is a great player hands down and is a difference maker for LH and is someone you have to plan around but as far as pure talent and being a game breaker I just think our running back is as good as anybody that'll be on that field in my opinion. Im not tryin to get into any argument on who has the better what im just tryin to state for the people who think that LH is just far away more talented then us that we have talent they are just young and that may be our downfall. But there comes a point when the young guys finally get it and stop makin the little mistakes and with half the season gone nows the time.

Tailback
10-23-2008, 06:53 PM
True, they have not had 3 full weeks, but I am sure they have spent some time on Wimberley in those weeks. I know I would have. Not particularly over Wimberley's defense but their offense. I think the key in this game is how well Liberty Hill can stop Wimberley, not how well Wimberley can stop LH. Liberty Hill's offense will come out and do what it does. I do agree that Wimberley having two weeks to prepare for the offense will benefit their defense, but I still don't think they will be able to contain the LH offense. We will have to see though, that is why the game is played.

I'm not trying to argue about player's talent either. Wimberley always has talented athletes and they do this year as well. I think gold_33 and I just pointed out who we think will be the impact players for both teams. While each team has very talented individuals, I do believe Liberty Hill is more talented as a whole and should prove that tomorrow night.

wimbo_pro
10-23-2008, 08:40 PM
There is no doubt that LH is the more talented team. No doubt at all. I think our freshman is probably the most physically talented player on the field...but he is a freshman!!! I will take a less talented senior in this game any day.

#21 is a game changer...he is an experienced, seasoned veteran. If you are asking me which I would rather have tomorrow night, I would take #21, hands down.

lbjacj
10-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Just finished watching the DVD of the 2005 state championship game. If the coaches can get the team as fired up as the '05 boys,and playing with that swagger, we just might have a chance to pull off the upset!!! Can't wait for this one to kickoff !

wimbo_pro
10-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by lbjacj
Just finished watching the DVD of the 2005 state championship game. If the coaches can get the team as fired up as the '05 boys,and playing with that swagger, we just might have a chance to pull off the upset!!! Can't wait for this one to kickoff !

If only we had even half the talent of the '05 team...remember we were flush with seniors then.

LH Panther Mom
10-23-2008, 11:57 PM
GO PANTHERS! BTHO Wimberley!

TexanAlum_06
10-24-2008, 11:47 AM
I think the biggest factor deciding whether we will be able to pull an upset or get stomped depends on how well Scudder plays. if he has a great game and makes smart decisions like we know he is capable of then we have a good chance. But if the barron scudder that we saw in the last 2 minutes of the dripping game shows up tonight and throws 3-4 Int's and makes bad decisions then it could get really ugly. I think RB Dennis' performance will have a huge impact as well. but I dont think we are going to have much success running the ball tonight so the passing game will be they key to our success or failure.

Super_R
10-24-2008, 11:56 AM
I think Wimberley's weak link is their O line. If the Panther front 4 is able to get pressure on Scudder and put him on the run then the Panthers will more than likely pull away as the game progresses. But, If the O-line for the Texans can hold ground and give Scudder time to throw then the Panther secoundary will be picked on often. That will keep the game close.

One of the key factors to the Panther D giving up large yardage through the air is due to the lack of pressure from the front 4. Last year you could count on Portier, Cole, and Johns being in the backfiled early and often. They probably averaged 5+ sacs a game combined.

TexanAlum_06
10-24-2008, 12:04 PM
I think Wimberley's weak link is their O line. If the Panther front 4 is able to get pressure on Scudder and put him on the run then the Panthers will more than likely pull away as the game progresses. But, If the O-line for the Texans can hold ground and give Scudder time to throw then the Panther secoundary will be picked on often. That will keep the game close.

One of the key factors to the Panther D giving up large yardage through the air is due to the lack of pressure from the front 4. Last year you could count on Portier, Cole, and Johns being in the backfiled early and often. They probably averaged 5+ sacs a game combined.

Thats a good point Super R. LH has always been able to pressure us. Barron sometimes doesnt take pressure very well....

wimbo_pro
10-24-2008, 12:11 PM
I am a little surprised...over 50% of those who answered the poll question think Wimberley will win. Now, as a homer, you would expect ME to think that...and I think its definitely possible...but I think this is more reflective of the "they gotta lose sometime" theory, added with the rivalry component.

If I was a neutral betting man, there is no way I would go with an outright Wimberley victory. But...if you were giving us a 3 TD or so spread, I'd take the bet, strictly from an odds point of view.

LH Panther Mom
10-24-2008, 12:14 PM
I am a little surprised...over 50% of those who answered the poll question think Wimberley will win. Now, as a homer, you would expect ME to think that...and I think its definitely possible...but I think this is more reflective of the "they gotta lose sometime" theory, added with the rivalry component.

If I was a neutral betting man, there is no way I would go with an outright Wimberley victory. But...if you were giving us a 3 TD or so spread, I'd take the bet, strictly from an odds point of view.
Get your bifocals out and look at the vote again. ;) It looks 64-36 (LH) to me. :confused: When I first posted it, it was something like 6-1 in favor of the Texans. I'm not sure if it's a "they gotta lose sometime" or "I hope they lose" theory. :thinking:

Super_R
10-24-2008, 12:15 PM
I am a little surprised...over 50% of those who answered the poll question think Wimberley will win.

What poll are you looking at? 64%Liberty Hill 36%Wimberley.

wimbo_pro
10-24-2008, 12:19 PM
What poll are you looking at? 64%Liberty Hill 36%Wimberley.

You are right...I said it wrong...looking at the graph, I am surprised there are more than half as many people voting for Wimberley that voted for LH.

My bad.

LH Panther Mom
10-24-2008, 12:23 PM
You are right...I said it wrong...looking at the graph, I am surprised there are more than half as many people voting for Wimberley that voted for LH.

My bad.
That makes sense! And I can't say that I'm surprised. Homer that I am, I know for a fact that for THIS game, all bets are off & records are thrown out the window.

I will say that since the last time we were on your field, we've developed a really good 2-minute offense. :devil:

wimbo_pro
10-24-2008, 12:25 PM
That makes sense! And I can't say that I'm surprised. Homer that I am, I know for a fact that for THIS game, all bets are off & records are thrown out the window.

I will say that since the last time we were on your field, we've developed a really good 2-minute offense. :devil:

You've developed a lot more than that...you developed something we call a "D-E-F-E-N-S-E". And a pretty good one at that.

ratherbfishin
10-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Will yall be giving updates during the game tonite. I'm on my way to Falcon to do a little fishing, but I'll have my laptop with me.

Thanks and the best of luck to both teams!!!!!!

Beast Fan
10-24-2008, 01:40 PM
I hate to miss this game. I would love to see LH beat the pants off Wimberley. I wish good health to both teams and may all you travelers Radar Detectors perform better than mine does.

Go Panthers!!!!!!!

All out CAT
10-24-2008, 01:54 PM

I kinda like the 30 second offense.

Tailback
10-24-2008, 02:16 PM

I'd rather just win easily and not have to worry about the 2-minute offense ever again.

LH Panther Mom
10-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Beast Fan
I hate to miss this game. I would love to see LH beat the pants off Wimberley. I wish good health to both teams and may all you travelers Radar Detectors perform better than mine does.

Go Panthers!!!!!!!
I hate you have to miss it! Agreed on the pants thing. :devil:

You mean you HAVE a Radar Detector? :eek: :eek: :doh:

LH Panther Mom
10-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Will yall be giving updates during the game tonite. I'm on my way to Falcon to do a little fishing, but I'll have my laptop with me.

Thanks and the best of luck to both teams!!!!!!
I'm sure that someone will. You can listen at kmacsports.com if you'd like.

Mr. Herb
10-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Wimberley will win this game and we will all hear the crying of the panthers and their fans about such things as the truf, Home town cooking, and lord knows what else they will say. The fact will remain the same Wimberley will out play, out hustle, and out coach LH tonight. Go Texans

ratherbfishin
10-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Thanks P. Mom and good luck and be safe!!!!

Super_R
10-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Herb
Wimberley will win this game and we will all hear the crying of the panthers and their fans about such things as the truf, Home town cooking, and lord knows what else they will say. The fact will remain the same Wimberley will out play, out hustle, and out coach LH tonight. Go Texans

I don't think turf was ever brought up...and i don't think the analogy is home town cooking...that means food.

Lay off ther herb Mr Herb.

Nice 1st post!

Beast Fan
10-24-2008, 02:36 PM

You mean you HAVE a Radar Detector? :eek: :eek: :doh:

It got benched. Too many fumbles. Good luck tonight. I would really like to see this one. I'll be Listening on KMAC.
GO Panthers!!!!!