PDA

View Full Version : Llano 72, Ingram 0 -- with accelerated clock?

ziggy29
10-17-2008, 09:58 PM
After leading 43-0 at halftime, Llano played the entire second half with reserves at the skill positions and won the game 72-0 over Ingram.

The Jackets set an all time record in both points scored and point differential in a game.

But what I found interesting was this. Apparently, if both coaches agree, the officials can run an "accelerated clock" which keeps the clock running on first downs, plays that run out of bounds and even on some changes of possession. I had never heard of this, but in this game the clock kept running in the second half on all these events to help bring a blowout to a quick end. Apparently, it's as close to a "mercy kill" rule as there is in high school football.

When the Jackets were getting first downs in the second half, the clock kept running. When Ingram went for it on fourth down and was stopped, the clock kept running.

If the radio report was accurate, the officials proposed this as an option at halftime, both coaches agreed to it, and it went into effect. Has anyone heard of that before?

Gobbler Fan
10-17-2008, 10:00 PM
We've done it several times ... if both Coaches agree then it's a done deal

solocam
10-17-2008, 10:20 PM
Liberty Hill did that with Ingram to

ziggy29
10-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks. I assumed this was some kind of gentleman's rule on the books that I just hadn't seen invoked before.

headhunter
10-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Yep I remember back in 2004 Cuero played Hallettsville and was winning 31-0 at halftime. Coach Taylor wanted to run the clock the entire second half. I think he didn't want it to look any worse than it did. It has happened a few other times but that is just one I can recall.

I personally don't see anything wrong with it especially when their is no chance to stop someone and it can get you through the game faster and eliminate having injuries and is a sportsman like move. I can also see the downside of it, because sometimes in games like that you want your back-ups to get in their and play a lot. It can build confidence and it's rewarding for them to get a lot of playing time. They practice all week long they want to get the satisfaction of playing and contributing.

VAMike
10-18-2008, 06:49 AM
No official rule or UIL exception for anything like this but it is frequently done. Sometimes it is done without either coach being advised. There does need to be something put in the UIL Exceptions similar to what is in the 6-man rules where the game is over if a team is ever up by 45 after 1st half. Not sure I'd like to see the game stopped but a running clock is a good idea. Would be good if both coaches agreed but some coaches are so psychotic during a game that they would not go for it even if they were down 50

lange4
10-18-2008, 11:26 PM
Do not know if both coaches agreed. Saw Llano's coach talk to officials before half started and he looked up at pressbox and gave running clock motion. I just want to state this. Ingram was still out there trying. They had no quit in them. Hats off to kids that are totally outmanned and still give full effort. Not just spouting from inexperience, Llano's 70-0 win over San Saba 10 years ago, also with a running clock, showed me a bunch of kids that just quit in the 2nd qtr.

CenTexSports
10-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Trust me - both coaches agreed.

popcorn screen
10-19-2008, 08:57 AM
If you were at this game, you have 24 hours to notify CPS.

VAMike
10-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by lange4
Do not know if both coaches agreed. Saw Llano's coach talk to officials before half started and he looked up at pressbox and gave running clock motion. I just want to state this. Ingram was still out there trying. They had no quit in them. Hats off to kids that are totally outmanned and still give full effort.

Nobody is suggesting Ingram was not still trying, even with a running clock. And even if the Ingram coach had agreed to the running clock, nobody should view that as "quitting." It is possible to keep playing but with the realization that little is to be gained by dragging things out any longer than necessary. taht was my point in the arlier post, some coaches view consenting to a running clock as giving up or quitting. You can still try hard to have some little successes even if you are not going to have the ultimate success (the victory).