PDA

View Full Version : Gonzales forfeits to Edna

Cowboy_Up
10-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Last week Edna lost 22-23 to Gonzales...but apparently the Apaches played an ineligible player and have forfeited the game.

Old Green
10-16-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
Last week Edna lost 22-23 to Gonzales...but apparently the Apaches played an ineligible player and have forfeited the game. :1omg!:

JR2004
10-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
Last week Edna lost 22-23 to Gonzales...but apparently the Apaches played an ineligible player and have forfeited the game.

DISD would like to extend a warm welcome to the Gonzales Apaches! Welcome to the club!

Haunta Yo
10-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Unfortunately it sometimes happens. It's tough turning yourself in immediately, but it's the right thing to do once you know a mistake was made. Good luck with the rest of the season.

pirate4state
10-16-2008, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
:1omg!:

yep, this could have HUGE implications

look out DI!!!!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-17-2008, 01:38 AM
I think the school should refund the price of the tickets to the people who went to watch the game due to their lack of accountability. All of those fans went to watch a game for nothing, and that's a shame.

bigcat8
10-17-2008, 08:31 AM
Wow!!! I am sure that will sit well with the apache faithful.............

Sweetwater Red
10-17-2008, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
yep, this could have HUGE implications

look out DI!!!!

:confused:

Will you explain for those of us in the dark.:thinking:

Old Green
10-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
:confused:

Will you explain for those of us in the dark.:thinking: Cuero has the second largest enrollment in district 28. If for some reason Gonzales fails to make the playoffs, cuero goes Division 1.

Sweetwater Red
10-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Old Green
Cuero has the second largest enrollment in district 28. If for some reason Gonzales fails to make the playoffs, cuero goes Division 1.

I see....

Cuero vs Wylie in the SC game?:thinking: :D

Old Green
10-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I see....

Cuero vs Wylie in the SC game?:thinking: :D :mad: :spitlol:

Gontex
10-17-2008, 09:31 AM
I have been reluctant to post this information on this board because I wanted to hear some sort of confirmation from the administration in Gonzales before doing so. Yesterday's paper came out with no mention of this and is still listing the Apaches' record in district as 1-0. Just a bad day in Big G all around. Quality Chevrolet was foreclosed on by Wells Fargo. Closed them down in Gonzales, Hallettsville, Seguin and four other locations. Thunder Rally was a bust last week and the city police are catching hell for the way they enforced the anti-gang in the city parks ordinance. Organizers are saying they lost $500,000 because of it. Can you spell lawsuit? Now this, looks like bad news really does come in threes. Somebody may have hell to pay for this one though. If Goliad wins tonight, Apaches would have to beat Cuero, Yoakum and Palacios just to make the playoffs as the third place team. IMO, that probably isn't going to happen.

Centextrash
10-17-2008, 09:42 AM
If Gonzales doesn't beat Goliad, they do not deserve to make the playoffs!

Tough times for the apaches!

3&2count
10-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Print this Article E-mail this Article

Comment on this Article
Gonzales forfeits win over Edna
advertising
BY MIKE FORMAN - MFORMAN@VICAD.COM
October 16, 2008 - 11:21 p.m.
Edna thought it would go into tonight’s football game at Yoakum tied for last place in District 28-3A.

Instead, the Cowboys will be tied for first.

Gonzales has forfeited last week’s 23-22 district-opening win over Edna for using a player that was ineligible for academic reasons.

The district executive committee, composed of the district’s superintendents, voted unanimously Thursday to have Gonzales forfeit the win and recommended no further penalties be imposed against the Apaches.

Sam Atwood, superintendent of the Goliad school district and chairman of the executive committee, said Gonzales superintendent Vic Salazar reported the violation.

“They feel badly about it,” Atwood said. “It’s just unfortunate. It was a record oversight. Our recommendation was based on the UIL constitution. They shall forfeit the game, but since there was no other infraction we’re not recommending any other penalties.”

Edna athletic director and head football coach Mike Pierce told his team about the forfeit Thursday. Pierce said this is the first time he has been involved in a situation where a game had to be forfeited.

“We played hard against Gonzales,” Pierce said. “Yeah we got the win. We got in the kind of way you really don’t want to have it. I feel sorry for the kids and the coaches at Gonzales. We’ve still got to go out and play against Yoakum and for the rest of the year. That’s a whole lot easier when you’re 1-0.”

Edna joins Cuero and Goliad with 1-0 district records. Gonzales, Yoakum and Palacios are 0-1 in district.

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/topsports/story/338748.html

Pudlugger
10-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Cuero D1
Goliad D2 W
Yoakum D2 R

That's how it is shaping up IMO.

JT44
10-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Cuero should go D1 now, Yoakum will be the runner up I think even with the forfeit, gonzales may have a slight chance.

headhunter
10-17-2008, 11:49 AM
WOW, somehow this just doesn't surprise me. How does something like this happen? Cuero will have a tough road going D1.

Can Gonzales still make the playoffs? Chances are not looking good.

The Gobblers are a bit undersized to match up with team in D1. They have the speed but not the depth and the size. Teams like Wylie and Navasota and others have large enrollments and are able to run fresh players into the game, this makes it tough on a team like Cuero to run with those guys. I still think the Gobblers are capable of winning in D1. They have the talent and they have done it before.

I would be very pissed off as a player for the Apaches. You work all week and get a win and then its all for nothing. Just because someone wasn't doing their job and following up. Dang I would be mad.

bigcat8
10-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Bad thing for the seniors there... Tough news to take...

bigcat8
10-17-2008, 12:31 PM
who is taking the blame on this one Gontex....
Originally posted by Gontex
I have been reluctant to post this information on this board because I wanted to hear some sort of confirmation from the administration in Gonzales before doing so. Yesterday's paper came out with no mention of this and is still listing the Apaches' record in district as 1-0. Just a bad day in Big G all around. Quality Chevrolet was foreclosed on by Wells Fargo. Closed them down in Gonzales, Hallettsville, Seguin and four other locations. Thunder Rally was a bust last week and the city police are catching hell for the way they enforced the anti-gang in the city parks ordinance. Organizers are saying they lost $500,000 because of it. Can you spell lawsuit? Now this, looks like bad news really does come in threes. Somebody may have hell to pay for this one though. If Goliad wins tonight, Apaches would have to beat Cuero, Yoakum and Palacios just to make the playoffs as the third place team. IMO, that probably isn't going to happen.

kepdawg
10-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Can somebody break this down for me?

How many district games have been played?

Who was Gonzales expected to beat?

If Gonzales still beats the teams they were expected to beat, how will the standings look?

Which team besides Cuero and Gonzales was expected to make the playoffs?

Which team, if any, is likely to replace Gonzales?

JR2004
10-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg

If Gonzales still beats the teams they were expected to beat, how will the standings look?

The poster from Gonzales already said what has to happen.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by headhunter
WOW, somehow this just doesn't surprise me. How does something like this happen? Cuero will have a tough road going D1.

Can Gonzales still make the playoffs? Chances are not looking good.

The Gobblers are a bit undersized to match up with team in D1. They have the speed but not the depth and the size. Teams like Wylie and Navasota and others have large enrollments and are able to run fresh players into the game, this makes it tough on a team like Cuero to run with those guys. I still think the Gobblers are capable of winning in D1. They have the talent and they have done it before.

I would be very pissed off as a player for the Apaches. You work all week and get a win and then its all for nothing. Just because someone wasn't doing their job and following up. Dang I would be mad. Cuero will have tough competition in R4 in their side of the bracket so i wouldnt start overlooking R4 as a given.

Could put Cuero vs La Vernia in a 1st round matchup if both go Div 1.

La Vernia is 3rd largest in their district, SA Sam Houston(3-3) and Somerset(4-2) have a bigger enrollment and both those schools are 1-0 in district but i think Marion(4-2) and Poteet(3-3) and will eventually over take them. Somerset did beat Marion last week 28-21 so they would have to finish ahead of Somerset.

right now it looks like maybe: Bi-District Div 1
upper bracket
D25 Bellville vs D26 Needville
D27 Somerset/La Vernia or SA Sam Houston vs D28 Cuero
Lower Bracket
D29 Bandera vs Bye
D31 Robstown vs D32 Hidalgo

this is most likely the teams for Div 1, with D27 most likely Somerset unless Marion and Poteet can over take them. SA Sam Houston might not win another district game.

kepdawg
10-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
The poster from Gonzales already said what has to happen.

Okay, then it sounds to me like they probably didn't have as good a chance to make the playoffs as everyone had assumed.

Cowboy_Up
10-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg

Assuming Cuero goes 5-0.

Edna needs to win 2 of next three (Yoakum, Palacios, Goliad) to most likely go as #3 team.

Yoakum needs to win 3 of next 4 which is very possible as they have already played Cuero.

Tonight’s Gonzales/Goliad game will tell us a lot. If the Apaches win and defeat Yoakum then they will probably be in.

If Goliad wins, they'll need one more victory over Edna or Yoakum.

Reality is most would say Cuero, Yoakum and Gonzales were favored to make the playoffs and that scenario is not a long shot at all.

Edna/Yoakum and Gonzales/Goliad games tonight will answer most of the questions.

bigcat8
10-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Feel like they should have beaten Edna,Goliad, and Palacios..Yoakum was a toss-up and Cuero was a stretch..More than likely, Gotta win 3 to get into the playoffs.. Itwill be interesting to see what Edna does with their new life...

Pudlugger
10-17-2008, 02:02 PM
From the Leps perspective having played Yoakum, Gonzales and Goliad I would rank them:
Goliad
Yoakum
Gonzales

I bet Goliad beats Gonzales and Yoakum beats Edna tonight.

KingRob
10-17-2008, 03:32 PM
It would be horrible if this forfeit costs the Apaches from making the playoffs. It would be a real bummer for the seniors (and I guess the rest of the team, the fans, and that particular player).

bleedmaroon
10-17-2008, 10:30 PM
???

Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I think the school should refund the price of the tickets to the people who went to watch the game due to their lack of accountability. All of those fans went to watch a game for nothing, and that's a shame.