PDA

View Full Version : Three Celina alums on top-10 college teams

kepdawg
10-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Three Celina alums on top-10 college teams

I'll go out on a limb and make this prediction:

Only one Class 3A team in Texas has three alums currently playing for college teams ranked in the top 10 in the latest Associated Press poll. Celina is that team.

At No. 3 Penn State, freshman DB D'Anton Lynn -- part of last year's 3A state champion -- has made three tackles in four games.

At No. 7 Texas Tech, redshirt freshman TE Adam James has nine catches for 83 yards in six games.

At No. 8 Oklahoma State, redshirt freshman DE Jamie Blatnick has four tackles in six games.

Posted by Matt Wixon at 12:20 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

LINK (http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/10/three-celina-alums-on-top10-college-team.html)

kepdawg
10-15-2008, 12:58 PM
How many Gilmer alums are playing on Top 10 teams?

NastySlot
10-15-2008, 01:08 PM
not from gilmer so i really couldn't say....but just guessing don't they have a couple on the longhorn roster and i bet one or two on the ou roster.

kepdawg
10-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
not from gilmer so i really couldn't say....but just guessing don't they have a couple on the longhorn roster and i bet one or two on the ou roster.

Yeah I looked and they have 2 at both TX and OU.

WOS has 2 at TX and 1 at Tech.

That's not even looking at the rest of the top 10.

So obviously the guy went out on the wrong limb!

jason
10-15-2008, 01:13 PM
mizzou has a few texas boys on their team also...

NastySlot
10-15-2008, 01:19 PM
was just playing around on the espn top 10 page looked at rosters....all the top ten teams have at least one player listed as being from the state of texas..

kepdawg
10-15-2008, 01:33 PM
For the record my post is not intended as a negative commentary against Celina in any way. Rather it is to simply question the limb that the DMN blogger went out on. I am also very aware of the enrollment differences between Celina and Gilmer and Celina and WOS.

pirate4state
10-15-2008, 01:36 PM
The only one I hear about on a regular basis from Gilmer is "Manny" Johnson, OU

very impressive for the Celina kids :clap: kudos!

mistanice
10-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Not top ten or D1, but Diboll has 4 players on ONE team.

http://www.dibollfreepress.com/news/2008/1015/sports/041p1_xlg.jpg

Kyle Prescott, Ryan Whitworth, JR Youngblood and Chance Johnson have all become an important part of the East Texas Baptist University Tigers this season. The former Diboll Lumberjacks will all be playing in Houston, TX on Nov. 3 at 6p.m. and in Pineville, LA on Nov. 10 at 4p.m. They won last week in a rain delayed contest 35-12. The Nov. 3 game is a rematch wth Southeast Prep Academy.

kepdawg
10-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Wixon has edited his original post to state only 3A North Texas (DMN Coverage Area) team...

Daddy D 11
10-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
Not top ten or D1, but Diboll has 4 players on ONE team.

http://www.dibollfreepress.com/news/2008/1015/sports/041p1_xlg.jpg

Kyle Prescott, Ryan Whitworth, JR Youngblood and Chance Johnson have all become an important part of the East Texas Baptist University Tigers this season. The former Diboll Lumberjacks will all be playing in Houston, TX on Nov. 3 at 6p.m. and in Pineville, LA on Nov. 10 at 4p.m. They won last week in a rain delayed contest 35-12. The Nov. 3 game is a rematch wth Southeast Prep Academy.

Is that the baseball coaches son on the far right?

mistanice
10-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Is that the baseball coaches son on the far right?

Yes that is.

The one on far left is also a football coach's son.

Daddy D 11
10-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Yes that is.

The one on far left is also a football coach's son.

Isn't ETBU Division III?

Another Diboll graduate plays football at McMurry, Cutler Ruby.

Txbroadcaster
10-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
For the record my post is not intended as a negative commentary against Celina in any way. Rather it is to simply question the limb that the DMN blogger went out on. I am also very aware of the enrollment differences between Celina and Gilmer and Celina and WOS.

Wixon corrected himself saying he meant in the DMN coverage area(RIIIIIGGGHHHHTTT)

lostaussie
10-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
How many Gilmer alums are playing on Top 10 teams? there were 5 former Buckeyes on the rosters of last weeks UT/Oklahoma game alone.

mistanice
10-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Isn't ETBU Division III?

Another Diboll graduate plays football at McMurry, Cutler Ruby.

Yeah DIII, and you're right about Ruby, how do you know so much? :D

orange machine
10-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Two Celina players also play at the mighty North Texas Mean Green. Troy Franklin and Nathan Tune. Not top ten, but dead last, but they play D1 ball.

Daddy D 11
10-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Yeah DIII, and you're right about Ruby, how do you know so much? :D

I am wise:)

Fletch
10-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
Two Celina players also play at the mighty North Texas Mean Green. Troy Franklin and Nathan Tune. Not top ten, but dead last, but they play D1 ball.

Abilene Christian is ranked #3 in NCAA Division 2.

Austin Kessler and Dru Prosser are on that team.

mr.leopard man
10-15-2008, 07:46 PM
There is two former Gainesville leopards off the state championships team in 2003 playing for Texas Tech...Darcell McBath and DT..Clint Stoffels.....McBath, who is scheduled to graduate in December, was honored before the season started when his teammates elected him as a captain. There are 114 players in the Texas Tech football program and McBath was one of only four selected to be a captain. Captains at Texas Tech not only go out for the coin-toss, but they are team spokesmen at weekly press conferences and also leaders in the locker room.Since those first two years in Lubbock, McBath has been hard to get off the field. He was named second team All-Big 12 as a sophomore and had 75 tackles and three interceptions. As a junior, he was honorable mention All-Big 12 and had 73 tackles and two interceptions. This season, he already has two interceptions, one of which he returned for a touchdown.

swstangs001
10-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by mr.leopard man
There is two former Gainesville leopards off the state championships team in 2003 playing for Texas Tech...Darcell McBath and DT..Clint Stoffels.....McBath, who is scheduled to graduate in December, was honored before the season started when his teammates elected him as a captain. There are 114 players in the Texas Tech football program and McBath was one of only four selected to be a captain. Captains at Texas Tech not only go out for the coin-toss, but they are team spokesmen at weekly press conferences and also leaders in the locker room.Since those first two years in Lubbock, McBath has been hard to get off the field. He was named second team All-Big 12 as a sophomore and had 75 tackles and three interceptions. As a junior, he was honorable mention All-Big 12 and had 73 tackles and two interceptions. This season, he already has two interceptions, one of which he returned for a touchdown.

Theres like 6 sweetwater guys at easter new mexico

just dont ask me how good theyve done over the last few years:redxpoke:

Keith7
10-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by mr.leopard man

I know its not a top 10 school but Chris Brown plays DB for Iowa State.. also Levi Millhollin plays defensive end for North Texas (although he has yet to see any playing time)

thatboiwes
10-16-2008, 07:14 AM
From Gilmer:

#1 UT - David Snow - OL
Curtis Brown - DB

#4 OU - Manuel Johnson - WR
Justin Johnson - RB
Lamar Harris - DB

There, that's 5. We win. Plus we have one playing for #11 Mizzou, Daniel Jenkins - OL.

You Celina fans should remember Manuel. He had 10 catches for 172 yards when Gilmer beat up on you guys in 2003. The others weren't on varsity until the next year, so you didn't get a chance to be beat by them. :p ;)

gatordaze
10-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Fletch
Abilene Christian is ranked #3 in NCAA Division 2.

Austin Kessler and Dru Prosser are on that team.

I think Clint Coulter is on that team as well. I may be wrong.

BobcatBenny
10-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
I think Clint Coulter is on that team as well. I may be wrong.
I believe he is as well.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-16-2008, 09:38 AM
3A football has really put some great players on some great college teams. So very few young men get the chance to even play college football.

Congrats to all our 3A players in the college ranks. I try and follow as many of them as I can at all levels (DI-DIAA-DII-DIII-NAIA-JUCO).

gatordaze
10-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
I believe he is as well.

Lance Clark was at Texas Tech last season. I think that he transferred but I am sure he is still playing somewhere.

Dominicfrank
10-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Vernon has a freshman starting at DB for the lowest ranked NCAA DI team. Darren Williams.

Twirling Time
10-16-2008, 09:49 AM
Charley Waldrep will most likely end up at Alabama, which is No. 2 in the country (and would be No. 1 if they hadn't been idle Saturday).

Buckeye80
10-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by thatboiwes

There, that's 5. We win.

Yay!!!!! What did we win!!??:clap:

thatboiwes
10-16-2008, 11:22 AM
http://www.backgammon.org/upload-images/cash-prize-purchased.jpg

Fletch
10-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by thatboiwes
From Gilmer:

#1 UT - David Snow - OL
Curtis Brown - DB

#4 OU - Manuel Johnson - WR
Justin Johnson - RB
Lamar Harris - DB

There, that's 5. We win. Plus we have one playing for #11 Mizzou, Daniel Jenkins - OL.

You Celina fans should remember Manuel. He had 10 catches for 172 yards when Gilmer beat up on you guys in 2003. The others weren't on varsity until the next year, so you didn't get a chance to be beat by them. :p ;)

We didn't see those bad boys in the State Championship game the past 2 seasons, so they didn't have a chance to beat us up.

What happened? Are yall 2A or something?;)

garciap77
10-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
there were 5 former Buckeyes on the rosters of last weeks UT/Oklahoma game alone.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

bobcat1
10-17-2008, 06:45 AM
We didn't see those bad boys in the State Championship game the past 2 seasons, so they didn't have a chance to beat us up.

What happened? Are yall 2A or something?;) :clap: :clap: :clap: :D

thatboiwes
10-17-2008, 07:03 AM

What happened? Are yall 2A or something?;)

We were big school the last 2 years while you were baby school. So you didn't get the chance to lose to us. Sorry. But we will be DII this year, so you will get your chance...
to lose again! :D :taunt:

kicker48
10-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Marts WR Quan Cosby - Texas huge block in Oklahoma game
WR Damian Davis - Oklahoma State - 2 TD's in last week's win.
Quan's Big Block
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2F7MP-QhW0