PDA

View Full Version : Favorite All-Time Coach?

Bullaholic
10-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Who is your favorite all-time coach in any sport at any level?

I always liked the style of the late Vince Lombardi---no non-sense, fiery, and direct. He commanded the respect, even fear, of his players. He achieved great success because he demanded nothing but the best from his players and got it. Most of the prima donna players in the NFL of today could not have played for Vince Lombardi. Many of his quotes are notable, such as:

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
Vince Lombardi

Looking4number8
10-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Well you know I have to say it.. Gordon Wood. Because he made the Brownwood Lions a house hold name in the 60's, 70's and eatly 80's.

He is probally the reason I love football so much and especially high school football.

STAggie
10-15-2008, 10:53 AM
T J Mills

raider red 2000
10-15-2008, 11:01 AM
john wooden

bobby knight

RiverRat19
10-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Tom Foolery...

Jim Mora- great press conferences.

Sweetwater Red
10-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Tom Landry...and I'm far from being a Cowboy fan.

Jason1725
10-15-2008, 11:42 AM
The one and only coach to win four Super Bowls and is never given credit. Chuck Noll is my favorite coach. The guy took the biggest laughing stock team in the league and turned them around into one of the best franchises ever. The Steelers were in such bad shape when he took over, but he molded them into a Champion. His drafts in the 70's were legendary with none being better than the 1974 draft being the best by any team ever.
Lynn Swann
Jack Lambert
John Stallworth
Mike Webster
and an undrafted free agent
Donnie Shell.

Yet he is never mentioned in any of these polls, but that is mind boggling to me.
Before he retired in Pittsburgh after the 91 season he was building another good team
Greg Lloyd
Rod Woodson
Dermontti Dawson
Carnell Lake
Eric Green
Barry Foster
Justin Strzelczyk
Ernie Mills
Hardy Nickerson
Merril Hoge
All drafted under Noll not Cowher.

Johnny Utah
10-15-2008, 11:43 AM
My high school coaches.

Sweetwater Red
10-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Jason1725

Greg Lloyd
Rod Woodson
Dermontti Dawson
Carnell Lake
Eric Green
Barry Foster
Justin Strzelczyk
Ernie Mills
Hardy Nickerson
Merril Hoge

This list makes me think of Super Tecmo Bowl.:D

Btw are you sure about Hardy Nickerson. I thought he was a long
time Buccaneer.:thinking:

STANG RED
10-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Tim Everette - You've probobly never heard of him. He was my coach in Jr. High and 9th grade. We only lost 1 game, 14-8 to Abilene Lincoln my freshman year. He was too good for his own good though. Poked an official in the chest (our sissy tennis coach at the time) for making a pitiful call in a game. That gave our head coach at the time an excuse to get rid of him. Our HC/AD at the time was a joke (went 0-10 one year) and was jealous of his success, and knew there was a movement to have Everette replace him the next year, so he forced him out. He ended up getting fired anyway, but Everette had already moved on. Too bad. He would have made a great head coach.:(
He never coached again after that.:(

Jason1725
10-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
This list makes me think of Super Tecmo Bowl.:D

Btw are you sure about Hardy Nickerson. I thought he was a long
time Buccaneer.:thinking:

Yeah he was a Buc but was drafted by Noll in 1987, he left Pittsburgh with the start of free agency. too bad he didn't stay. Nickerson and Reggie White were two of the main guys who pushed for free agency.

coach
10-15-2008, 12:25 PM
tom landry
coack k
johnny oates
ken hitchcock
the ol ball coach
bob stooops
r.c. slocum
jimmy johnson
there are some others but im about to go eat lunch so i will report back for some more

jason
10-15-2008, 12:42 PM
dennis franchione

Dogman_1969
10-15-2008, 01:14 PM
My sophomore year of High School I played for Alan Sanders for Rockdale on the JV squad. That year we started out with 21 or so kids and ended playing our district schedule with 12 players and 1 of our WR's didn't speak english. The attrition was due to a rash of injuries that season. With the spanish speaking WR running in plays it sure made it tough when he got to the huddle and didn't understand the play.

We had our ups and downs that year but had a blast. He kept a small group of guys focused on 1 play at a time, not 1 game at a time. He reminded us at half time of these games that we needed to remain focused on every play especially when the other teams were rotating players trying to take advantage of everyone going both ways in effort to wear us down.

We went 6-4 that year but had a blast and a lifetime of memories from that season. Now fast forward 24 years ahead, Coach Sanders is in administration and out of coaching but I still stay in close contact with him. Ironically our son's are playing together now and both think it's funny that I used to play for him when they see us together.

He was a great coach that wanted the best for a bunch kids that just wanted to play ball......

underware
10-15-2008, 03:29 PM
I grew up watching Bum Philips in the 70's. I still see him once in a long while. We have the same dentist.

sinton66
10-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Mine would have to be Tom Landry and Darrell Royal.

Bullaholic
10-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Mine would have to be Tom Landry and Darrell Royal.

On just pure character, they would be mine also, 66'. Of course, they had great records, too, but Lombardi just says "pure coach" to me----maybe because I wish we could resurrect him to coach in today's NFL and handle some of the "personalities".

pirate4state
10-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by RiverRat19
Tom Foolery...

Jim Mora- great press conferences.

:) Playoffs?

I like our coaches, bunch of goof balls! :D

Rabid Cougar
10-15-2008, 06:03 PM
HS
C.H. Yoe High -1981 3 A State Champions
Toby York, Joe Oliver, Eddie Dunn, Steve Gaddis

College
Texas A&M '85,'86 SWC Champions
Jackie Sherrill, Bob Davie, Roy Kokemore

Oldest Son's Coaches
China Spring HS
Mark Bell, Ronson Burnham, Roy Stone, Jeff Bray, Shawn Bell, Shane Keaton, Josh Gregory

Youngest Son's Coaches
Jr. High
Tom Oliver, Max Rutherford

coach
10-15-2008, 06:38 PM
darell k royal was a good one but i would love to play for Rusty Nail

bobcat1
10-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Mike Ditka and the Bears. Buddy Ryan and the Eagles.