PDA

View Full Version : Do professional sports hold too high a place in our lives?

kepdawg
10-14-2008, 03:04 PM
It is likely the news regarding Pacman Jones will lead the news on all local stations in Dallas. It seems a bit silly to me that such a story should lead the news. That leads me to the question posed in the thread title:

Do professional sports hold too high a place in our lives?

BILLYFRED0000
10-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
It is likely the news regarding Pacman Jones will lead the news on all local stations in Dallas. It seems a bit silly to me that such a story should lead the news. That leads me to the question posed in the thread title:

No. It is a firm enjoyment of what these atheletes can do and how much we enjoy what they do. But it does not control my actions nor change my priorities for my life or my family.

STANG RED
10-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Not in my life. I ignore most of it, and dont spend a dime on any of it. Oh I like it all just fine, but it's way down on my list of priorities.

Bullaholic
10-14-2008, 03:13 PM

I would rather hear bad sports news than the regular news, which always seems to be bad and depressing, kep. I've gotten to where I don't even listen to many news broadcasts for that reason. Nothing but a steady diet of depressing stories and tabloid teasers with drug commercials and their side effects crammed in every second of air time.

LH Panther Mom
10-14-2008, 06:18 PM
I think it's as much a celebrity thing as it is professional sports. Joe Blow gets a DWI, or busted with drugs, or gun-related charges, or wrecks a motorcycle while not wearing a helmet, and no one ever hears about it. But Paris Hilton, Ben Rothleisberger (sp), Robert Downey Jr, etc. then it's on every channel.

Txbroadcaster
10-14-2008, 06:23 PM

I think the question should be..does sports in general all aspects take up to much of our lives

I love it when some people assume your character because of the team or player you support

It is all a game, in the end it means nothing in life who wins or loses.

OldNavy
10-14-2008, 06:40 PM

I might watch some playoffs or world series. However, I love High School and College sports. Paying huge salaries to pro athletes who have little loyalty for the team or their fans and go to the next highest bidder, (I am all for them personally earning all they can) doesn't make me loyal to their or the owners try to buy a "team."

zebrablue2
10-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Pro football does very little for me. When I was a kid growing up it is what I lived a breathed. I love high school and college football. Those two are my passion. The over paid pro players can keep on keeping on. I will watch the games on tv from time to time, but the day they all go pay-per-view, I will not pay a penny.

jambo67
10-14-2008, 09:45 PM
I root for the laundry. I don't care about the people wearing it. Cowboy blue Ranger blue Stars green Mavs whatever Cuban likes.

Dieselsmoke
10-14-2008, 10:13 PM
I would rather go watch 6 year olds play soccer than spend my hard earned money watching a bunch of overpaid premadonnas gripe about playing a game they once enjoyed. Pro sports lost all it's luster for me, when they started free agency and you have players moving all over the league. Rare is it a player starts their career and retires with the same team. Kinda miss that. Oh well I still love Friday nights...

crzyjournalist03
10-15-2008, 09:59 AM

I don't think so...so long as you keep priorities in order. I've told my wife and friends numerous times that it goes like this:

1. God
2. Family
3. Friends
4. Tony Romo

slpybear the bullfan
10-15-2008, 11:29 AM
I love Pro Football and my Cowboys. And it has its place on game day.

BUT... I am completely beaten down by the DFW media. It is 24-7 Cowboys. They are looking for stories under every word, phrase, grunt, look, and shirt that a cowboys player, coach, owner, janitor gives them.

For example, I listened to the Musers today on the Ticket interview Wade Phillips. He gave the generic coach answers that 99% of coaches will give when interviewed. Afterwards, the musers were indignant that Wade did not spend the entire interview telling them how horrible the Cowboys were.

Galloway, ESPN, the Ticket, all the TV, the DMN, Startlegram... it has all been the same for the past three weeks... people frothing at the mouth because of what TO didn't say... or what Romo didn't say... or what

If I was a player I would have a canned response for every media question during the season. And during the off season I would be no where around.

Do I think they are too big a part of the world around me? In DFW... YES.

besides... its not like I would start drinking if Francona pitched Wakefield or anything...

PPSTATEBOUND
10-15-2008, 11:33 AM
I think its very funny at times or all the time to watch these GROWN men run out in Uniforms...... playing KID'S games...very funny if you think about it.......LOL.......I guess if the grownups could get paid millions to trick or treat they would still do it also.......while looking very very silly/stupid.