PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Change In Texas HS Athletics?

Bullaholic
10-14-2008, 01:59 PM
If you had the power, what is/are the thing(s) you would change in the current Texas High School athletic system?

NastySlot
10-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
If you had the power, what is/are the thing(s) you would change in the current Texas High School athletic system?

anything?

Bullaholic
10-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
anything?

Anything within reason, unless you just want to be funny.

NastySlot
10-14-2008, 02:11 PM
simple....5A/4A spring football...only...but instead of intersquad scrimmages....you could scrimmage another school.........3A and down spring practice but could pick up a third scrimmage and extra week before the season..........move girls soccer to beginning of the year....it's cold when those kids play.........no club or travel ball team particiapation while same sport was in session...ie...no spring travel baseball team during high school season...............football coaches can coach 7v.7.....more to be added later...gotta go.

cookiemonster
10-14-2008, 02:13 PM
I wish Kids played all sports that they are capable of contributing in. No more specialization.

STANG RED
10-14-2008, 02:15 PM
I would start a 6A division. The high to low end enrollments in classifications are still way too wide. Schools shouldnt have to play other schools with more than twice their enrollment in the same classification.

NastySlot
10-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I would start a 6A division. The high to low end enrollments in classifications are still way too wide. Schools shouldnt have to play other schools with more than twice their enrollment in the same classification.

6A good one.....i don't by that distance to other district schools is too far.....the non-district games to played would probably compensate for the long distances for district with short ones for non.....good change STANG

also my thinking is with 6A...go back to two teams per district...and one champion per class.

crzyjournalist03
10-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Mandatory practice limits that are more strictly enforced. Limit the students to organized practice for two hours a day during the school year so that the students have plenty of time to study and don't have to worry about getting benched by the coach for not staying until sometimes 8 or 9 p.m. for a practice on a school night.

CHS_89
10-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Division 1 champ plays Division 2 champ for all the marbles in all classifications.

NastySlot
10-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Mandatory practice limits that are more strictly enforced. Limit the students to organized practice for two hours a day during the school year so that the students have plenty of time to study and don't have to worry about getting benched by the coach for not staying until sometimes 8 or 9 p.m. for a practice on a school night.

if that is happing someone should be making a few calls to Austin...that is NUTS........my simple rule if I can't get it done in two hours...it's probably not going to today...try again tomorrow..

cshscougar08
10-14-2008, 02:38 PM
I like the 6A idea and one champion in each class if that happens.

kepdawg
10-14-2008, 02:44 PM
One champion per class in football is what I would like to see most

I would like to see 6A

Less teams in the playoffs per district

No predetermined sites for championship games

NastySlot
10-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
One champion per class in football is what I would like to see most

I would like to see 6A

Less teams in the playoffs per district

No predetermined sites for championship games

I like the no predetermined sites only for football (other sports it works well)............I like it the last weekend when I trying to figure out ways to make more then one game.

i remember back to back seasons when I saw the 1A title on a friday in Mexia...then the next day 5A and 3A in college station and the next season...............3A on friday in Austin and 5A and 2A the next day........2A game was a classic refugio v. lorena.

the 1A game was my first ever.....burkeville v. throckmorton.

ziggy29
10-14-2008, 02:49 PM
I'd add a 6A and I wouldn't have two state champions in the same classification.

Bullaholic
10-14-2008, 03:03 PM
nm, wrong thread

blowfish
10-14-2008, 04:42 PM
I would make some kind of effort to coordinate the officiating throughout the state. get the pay up more and maybe some type of perk or stippend from the UIL. Depending on where you go the officials in all sports can be very very frustrating.

ProudHornetMom
10-14-2008, 05:55 PM
1. Spring Practice
2. Require all referees to review game film each week. Maybe initiate a peer review for referees to grade each other's calls.
3. Make the attendance zone equitable for all districts whether multi schools within a district or rural schools. I know it's supposed to be equal but when you review "move ins" within a urban school district...doesn't quite equate with the smaller school districts.
4. All coaches be certified teachers (they are in Caldwell).
5. Certified Athletic trainers for all schools regardless of classification or budget.
6. 6A classification

slpybear the bullfan
10-14-2008, 06:00 PM
1.) Cap the number of football coaches that schools may hire.

2.) Immediately disband all organized Soccer to help stamp out communism.

ssgmp5150
10-14-2008, 06:15 PM
1. Make a 6A classification
2. Improve officiating and improve their pay and hold them accountable for bad calls/games
3. Go back to the old way where only two teams from each district advance into playoffs with one one state champion so that district title actually means something and playoffs are not so watered down!

coach
10-14-2008, 06:20 PM
MAKE THE HALF TIMES SHORTER....there is no need to have 28 minutes for half time...

Daddy D 11
10-14-2008, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29
I'd add a 6A and I wouldn't have two state champions in the same classification.

X2

Antec
10-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Add boys volleyball

ssgmp5150
10-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Yep I agree! If the girls can play it then so should the boys! Add boys volleyball!!!

bobcat1
10-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Outlaw Basketball. Football, Baseball, golf and offseason ONLY!

West22
10-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Let only the top two teams make the playoffs.

piratebg
10-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Coed showers/locker rooms ;)

sinton66
10-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
1.) Cap the number of football coaches that schools may hire.

2.) Immediately disband all organized Soccer to help stamp out communism.

God Bless America!;)

RiverRat19
10-14-2008, 09:11 PM
I would agree with making it against UIL rules to participate in club/AAU/etc. anything during the school year. Summer should be the only time these leagues are going....

DukeNukem
10-14-2008, 10:29 PM
My buddy would definitely make it where coaches did not have to teach regular ed. classes. He is always complaining about how band directors get away without actually having to teach core subjects. He does a great job of teaching, but if it wasn't for the coaching part, he would get out of education tomorrow.

Coaches schedule would be more like 3 athletic periods, 2 conferences, and 2 periods of elementary football, baseball, etc...

87 TIGER
10-14-2008, 10:31 PM
I dont know if 6a is the answer, but something needs to be done. Too many 3a schools playing schools with twice the enrollment.

Who-dun-it!!?
10-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by CHS_89
Division 1 champ plays Division 2 champ for all the marbles in all classifications. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I second!!:thumbsup:

Old Dog
10-15-2008, 12:36 AM
Only the top two teams go to playoffs (therefore ousting the two classification system.

Make a district championship mean something (such as home field advantage in the first round).

TigerFan51
10-15-2008, 06:37 AM
I'm all for a 6a division being created. I was just having a conversation the other day about some of the huge enrollment numbers of some of the 5a's now. It seems real lopsided for 3a schools with enrollments of 800 to 900 playing schools with enrollments of 500 to 600.:eek: :eek:

Looking4number8
10-15-2008, 07:04 AM
I agree with the 6A but understand with the travel invloved it might not be realistic

Sure not trying to start something here but it seems funny that now all you guys are whinning about enrollment of 900 playing 500. You sure jumped on us Brownwood guys when we whinned about 4A being tough because of enrollments 900 having to play 2000 enrollments.

Looking4number8
10-15-2008, 07:08 AM
Another thing I would change is the off season stuff. Not sure how all of this works but in Brownwood, Baseball and Softball are not in athletics. If you play, you get no school credits for it. It is an after school sport. My daughter pitches, but since she is not in athletics, she has to pitch in her own time. If it was in athletics, she cold pitch 5 days a week with a coach during class. Now, the coach is not allowed to work with her until January. We have to work around her cheerleading schedule and hire our own pitching coach.

3afan
10-15-2008, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Antec
Add boys volleyball

:eek:

nunya
10-15-2008, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by coach
MAKE THE HALF TIMES SHORTER....there is no need to have 28 minutes for half time...

Make the games two quarters so we no longer have to hear bigots slam musicians and the hours of work they put in to keep games from being boring for crappy teams.

LH Panther Mom
10-15-2008, 07:28 AM
There's a disparity in enrollment regardless of the classification for the most part. Right now, we already have a bye district in every region. Lowering the top end or raising the bottom end is going to further lower the schools competing in 3A, which will increase non-district games, and could lessen the number of districts further.

Celina and Brownwood are examples of lower & higher ends of 3A. If you have the athletes to compete within a reasonable difference in numbers, then they're somewhat irrelevant. Celina probably has 40+ on their Varsity. Brownwood has 35, give or take a couple.

Dropping a so-so or not so good 450-student school into 2A doesn't necessarily mean that the competition gets any easier. It just means that now the 450-student school may be competing with teams with half their numbers.

LH Panther Mom
10-15-2008, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by nunya
Make the games two quarters so we no longer have to hear bigots slam musicians and the hours of work they put in to keep games from being boring for crappy teams.
Who said anything about band? I can see something xlr8'ing quickly. :thinking:

Looking4number8
10-15-2008, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
xlr8'ing

Not from me, took me 10 minutes to figure out what that meant... You either have to quit being so clever in the mornings or I am going ot have to get up about an hour earlier and shoot a lot more coffee down before i start reading these post.

LH Panther Mom
10-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
Not from me, took me 10 minutes to figure out what that meant... You either have to quit being so clever in the mornings or I am going ot have to get up about an hour earlier and shoot a lot more coffee down before i start reading these post.
Heehee! :D

opher
10-15-2008, 09:19 AM
mandatory offseason training during the athletic period all year long - practice your sport after school only and do away with the 8 hour rule - during all sports -

NastySlot
10-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Another thing I would change is the off season stuff. Not sure how all of this works but in Brownwood, Baseball and Softball are not in athletics. If you play, you get no school credits for it. It is an after school sport. My daughter pitches, but since she is not in athletics, she has to pitch in her own time. If it was in athletics, she cold pitch 5 days a week with a coach during class. Now, the coach is not allowed to work with her until January. We have to work around her cheerleading schedule and hire our own pitching coach.

are other sports...ie: volleyball, soccer and basketball during a period.....that you can change.......take it with your school board.

Looking4number8
10-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Not sure about soccer but the others are. It has been fought with the board and princible (which I admire) but for this year it is too late. This is my youngest child and she is a senior so it will be somebody elses fight now.

NastySlot
10-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Not sure about soccer but the others are. It has been fought with the board and princible (which I admire) but for this year it is too late. This is my youngest child and she is a senior so it will be somebody elses fight now.

softball is in a real big disadvantage there...why should volleyball and basketball...get to keep their entire program the whole year....they get to build up their programs at the expense of softball and other sports that have no off-season....and why should your daughter and others give up an extra hour after school to practice ( they lose and hour with no period during school) while others practice one during school and one more or two after.

one option you might have is to have the girls athletic period changed so that all girl athletes are in the period for wts and conditioning gear toward building athletes not sport specific players.....this has worked well at a few schools in building a strong girls program cause it helps get the potential multi- athletes that usually wouldnt play other sports to enjoy other coaches and athletes... and give other sports a shot.

YOEdog
10-15-2008, 11:33 AM
I wish we had rep's from the UIL at each school to ensure that everyone is practicing by the rules. Everyone knows that Liberty Hill practices way more than they are allowed to. During two-a-days they practice for like 5 - 6 hours per day. I wonder why they keep winning state championships.

kepdawg
10-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by YOEdog
I wish we had rep's from the UIL at each school to ensure that everyone is practicing by the rules. Everyone knows that Liberty Hill practices way more than they are allowed to. During two-a-days they practice for like 5 - 6 hours per day. I wonder why they keep winning state championships.

:1popcorn:

LH Panther Mom
10-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Do you have proof of that? I suggest you go ahead and report it if you do. :)

YOEdog
10-15-2008, 11:41 AM
LOOK HERE LADY, I DON'T HAVE TO GET WET TO KNOW IT'S RAINING OUTSIDE.

NastySlot
10-15-2008, 11:48 AM
LOOK HERE LADY, I DON'T HAVE TO GET WET TO KNOW IT'S RAINING OUTSIDE.

hey fella...let it go...this is a pretty good topic and some people have some really good changes...don't get this locked or deleted.

YOEdog
10-15-2008, 12:10 PM
I would also like to see all the state championship games on TV instead of just 5A and sometimes 4A. This would most likely require a predetermined site though.

Buckeye1980
10-15-2008, 12:41 PM
I know I am the minority but I would like all the football championship games at one site on the same weekend.

Also, 3 teams make the playoffs and district champion gets a first round bye . Winning district would mean something and you would have one champion in each class. It works in all other sports , why not football?

gibby
10-15-2008, 12:49 PM
I would change the no pass no play. I would like the grades to be reviewed after 3 weeks. You get a 3 week review anyway. If a kid shows progress he or she would be able to play. Maybe review in the 4th week. If after playing one week after suspension, their grades go back down, then no more chances for the remainder.

Looking4number8
10-15-2008, 12:57 PM
I would also like to see all the state championship games on TV instead of just 5A and sometimes 4A. This would most likely require a predetermined site though. :ditto: :iagree: :ditto:

Actually I have no problem with the neutral site. I would love bor D1 championships in Austin or Dallas on one weekend and D2 the next. It would be a great two weeks for a lot of fans.

It would be simialar to the final weekend of baseball

GreenMonster
10-15-2008, 01:10 PM
More $$$. Stop taking money from the athletic programs. Texas as a whole has great athletics programs and great athletics facilities, but schools have had to become tighter and tighter with budgets because the state legislature has no clue how to fund the education system. Robin Hood sucked, but this replacement sucks too. The state's answer to "fixing" the school funding issue this last time was a joke as well. The current plan basically has frozen what the state sends to any given school district to what was given to that school in 2004. No regard to rising fuel and enrgy costs. No regard to inflation. No regard to stagnant economies. The state told schools that they were finished giving money to schools and that the schools were in charge of finding extra $ on their own. To take this a step further, the state then capped the school's ability to raise property taxes by freezing those at $1.00 not counting any bonds (loans that voters agree to) that the school must pay back. Due to lack of funding, the schools have tightened the purse strings and athletics programs were the first to budgets to get raided.

TigerFan51
10-15-2008, 04:00 PM
I agree with the 6A but understand with the travel invloved it might not be realistic

Sure not trying to start something here but it seems funny that now all you guys are whinning about enrollment of 900 playing 500. You sure jumped on us Brownwood guys when we whinned about 4A being tough because of enrollments 900 having to play 2000 enrollments.

I have not been on here since two years ago, under a different username, and I have never posted anything about Brownwood, then or now. I really had never paid any attention to Brownwood until seeing some of the posts this year. I'm only saying this to let you know to NOT be throwing me in the pile with "those other guys".:D

Twirling Time
10-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Regional tournaments in baseball and softball.

It's ridiculous having 19-year-old graduated seniors play for a championship in a playoff that starts at the end of April and ends in the middle of June.

Spring sports should be over before Memorial Day, not six weeks before two-a-days.

NastySlot
10-16-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Twirling Time
Regional tournaments in baseball and softball.

It's ridiculous having 19-year-old graduated seniors play for a championship in a playoff that starts at the end of April and ends in the middle of June.

Spring sports should be over before Memorial Day, not six weeks before two-a-days.

then we would have to change dates for the TAKS test...that tends to push playing dates back and alter schedules.....so with you plan i'm for it...esp if could do away TAKS.