PDA

View Full Version : Coach's Kids

Bullaholic
10-14-2008, 01:47 PM
How do you feel about coach's sons or daughters being coached by their fathers or mothers at any age from grade school thru high school? Do you feel a coach's kid gets to play more, plays a better posiiton, and receives more attention?

NastySlot
10-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
How do you feel about coach's sons or daughters being coached by their fathers or mothers at any age from grade school thru high school? Do you feel a coach's kid gets to play more, plays a better posiiton, and receives more attention?

the majority of coaches kids have a better understanding of the entire game (sport)....they grow up around it......now understand im talking about high school level up...and sometimes in the jr. high...now that little kid stuff......those coaches could really make their kid hate the game......thats a play their own kid first situation....most of the time.......................you also have to feel for the kids no matter the level...they usually have to here more from the coach on the way home...then say a normal kid.

swstangs001
10-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

no matter what if a coaches kid plays then somebody will always complain, but when you look at a team for ex. UT has blake gideon jordan shipley and colt mccoy, and no telling how many more coaches kids on that team, theyre are doing great. Most of the time a coaches kid is going to have talent just because hes a coach/parent to them and works with them. As far as them getting more playing time, they may get more playing time, but if a coach is stupid enough to play their kid over a more talented player then thats the coaches loss.

Necks_Fan
10-14-2008, 02:05 PM
I know one situation where a coaches' kid has not played very well at all... but still gets priority over other kids.

Doesn't really seem fair, and some say there has to be someone out there more capable. But I don't really know who else could do better, if any.

RedWhiteBlue
10-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Since someone brought them up- ESPN is doing a special on Coaches Shipley and McCoy, Jordan and Colt, Jackson and Casey. It probably won't be on for a couple of weeks. I think even if some coach's kids are not able to play better they end up with a special gift for coaching if they pay attention as they grow up. Kid's can learn an awful lot sitting on the end of a bench or being in the middle of a huddle over the years and being in a dressing room after a game. Some of it great- some of it he/ she should probably not repeat.:D

PutMeInCoach
10-14-2008, 03:25 PM
It's tough being a coaches' kid. I've even seen where the coaches kid was the best player at the position, yet has to split time...just to avoid the whole "he's is only starting because he's a coaches kid".

It's NOT fair to the kid...and parent's need to keep that in mind before making statements because it always gets back to the kid which is uncalled for.

Oh, and it even worse when you have a coaches kid play for another school and that parent expresses their opinion about their kid being a starter or what not in a negative manner. Sometimes, a coach has to make the best team, not necessary put the best player in every position.

blaster
10-14-2008, 03:49 PM
I am No Coach at upper level. But, I do coach my son in Baseball, Football, and Basketball and have coached him in soccer. I find myself being the opposite of what most would think. I have been told by my wife and other parents that I am alot harder on him than the other boys and tend to sit him out more than the others. I hate myself for that but I guess I just expected more from him than others. He is a good kid and a great athlete for his age and I have backed off a bunch in fear of breaking Little Blaster's spirit.

Rabbit'93
10-14-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm learning more and more that one shouldn't coach their kids. You're darned if you do and don't. If my kid plays it's because I favor him. not becuase he's better. If I'm harder on him or sit him out then mom and kid are mad. :confused:

LH Panther Mom
10-14-2008, 04:53 PM
I think in some cases, it depends on the coach. I've seen a coach's kid play in what seemed to be the best position for the kid and the team, yet not at the expense of the team. Then I've seen situations where stats and making a name for the kid seemed to be the priority rather than what was best for the team as a whole.

My dad never coached me but he did yell at me to get up and finish after I had wiped out on the hurdles on a red cinder chip track with blood running down my legs. :(

Buffgal
10-14-2008, 05:47 PM
I think people also forget that a coach's kid is at the very least 50% genetically gifted to be an athlete. I have never met a coach that was not himself/herself an above average athlete in their own right.

Not all but most of Their kids will naturally be born athletes & then you add the coaching of the game from day one. Those coach's kids are hard to beat and I'll pick as many as I can for my team every time.

On another note, all and I mean all, the coach's kids that I have known will gather at my house so all they have to hear is "Are you Hungry?" and no analyzing/coaching of the game just played from their coach/parent. Sad to see that your house becomes the "safe" place to get away from Coach.:(

allforball
10-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Quality coaches should see where their kid fits in for the sake of the team. Coaches kid should have more knowledge than others, but it really depends on the kid, do they really want it? Definitely can burn out a young kid as stated earlier. By high school they will know where they fit in and most will be assets to the program.

bigwood33
10-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Many coaches are just like any other parent. They believe that their son and the other 10 best players should be on the field. The only difference is that they have the ability to make it happen. We all have 'rose colored' glasses when looking at our children...some just rosier than others.

crabman
10-14-2008, 09:26 PM
The fact that coaches sons do well sort of reinforces the fact that a lot of the game is mental. Coaches sons get an upper hand in the mental aspect of the game by being around it their entire life. I have seen very average athletes who are coaches sons excel at their chosen sport just by not making mental mistakes.

pancho villa
10-15-2008, 07:18 AM

BILLYFRED0000
10-15-2008, 07:29 AM
I think it is a win win situation. You love coaching and you love your child. How could it get any better. You will get complaints of all types no matter what anyway. comes with being a coach.

benny's watchin
10-15-2008, 09:49 AM
I have never met a coach that was not himself/herself an above average athlete in their own right.

You must be referring to upper level coaches. I have seen
some pee wee coaches that couldn't do half of what their kid could at 7 and 8 years old.:D

Hannibal
10-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Having coached my stepson in youth leagues and AGAINST him in high school, I have seen the advantages coach's kids have. He had a greater knowledge of the game (football, baseball, basketball, and even soccer) than most kids his age when he was younger and had a huge advantage over other high school kids in looking at the game as a whole (like a coach does) rather than just at the position or at that moment.

Coaching against him in high school was difficult but we both got through it. Made things tough on my wife the weeks we played each other (in baseball) but made for ALOT of good-natured smack talking.

Also coached with others that had their kids on the team. These guys rode their kids hard, but also helped them in ways that "regular" parents can't in getting to the next level.

txkmom
10-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by crabman
The fact that coaches sons do well sort of reinforces the fact that a lot of the game is mental. Coaches sons get an upper hand in the mental aspect of the game by being around it their entire life. I have seen very average athletes who are coaches sons excel at their chosen sport just by not making mental mistakes.

ditto

RiverRat19
10-15-2008, 01:03 PM
My dad was not a "coach" but a gifted athlete who competed at the DI college level and coached me in every sport that I showed interest in and that he knew about... This was a huge advantage for me coming up through school in my athletic career.

I imagine that this is very much the same for HS coaches' kids. Usually more so in that the coach knows the schemes exactly and can teach the finer points even better.

Some is genetic I bet- athletes usually have kids who are athletic. But most of the advantage is mental I would say.

18handicap
10-15-2008, 09:15 PM
I don't have any kids, so I can't answer that part of the question, but in 20 years of being a head coach, the only problem parents that I have dealt with in all of this time, were parents who were also coaches on the staff. One year when coaching my 2nd sport, I had 22 players and could only play 6 at a time and was told to play everyone, those parents who were coaches were on my tail all of the time because they didn't think it was fair to play everyone on the subvarsity team and it was screwing their kids out of playing time. I was just following the instructions of the head coach, but caught all of the grief.