PDA

View Full Version : adam jones (merged)

coach
10-14-2008, 01:45 PM
suspended for at least 4 games!!!!

Keith7
10-14-2008, 01:48 PM
oh no.. the world is crashing down on cowgirl fans.. I can't wait until TO blows up too

Bullaholic
10-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
oh no.. the world is crashing down on cowgirl fans.. I can't wait until TO blows up too

The Cowboys could lose 6 more players and still donkey-stomp your dirty birds. :D

kepdawg
10-14-2008, 01:50 PM
:wave:

themsu97
10-14-2008, 01:58 PM
not surprising... GOodell set limits for Jones' behavior and he could not comply... right now I read that the suspension is indefinite but at least 4 games...

Jones needs to realize that sooner or later he has to be accountable for his actions... the year suspension has done him absolutely no good...

IHStangFan
10-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
oh no.. the world is crashing down on cowgirl fans.. I can't wait until TO blows up too Hate to say it.....okay...no I don't....but...I SAID THIS WOULD HAPPEN!!! When you get that many thugs, dysfunctional "me" guys, etc. on one team...a meltdown is inevitable.

pirate4state
10-14-2008, 02:07 PM
wow lol

IHStangFan
10-14-2008, 02:20 PM
on the flip side, I have changed my tune on Tony Romo. Actually kinda like the guy...hope he heals up soon for the Cowboys' sake. Johnson won't come in an win any games on his own...but he won't blow em for you either and if T.O. was crying before that Romo wasn't giving him the ball enough, now he's got a QB throwing to him that ...in alot of cases ...won't be ABLE to get him the ball way down the field

bigYoe
10-14-2008, 02:22 PM
well you guys have got to remember that Johnson is the only QB on the roster that has won a Super Bowl, the only one to win a playoff game at that. I believe he'll show the Cowboys a slower pace but with good plays. I believe Johnson will get the Cowboys ready for when Romo gets back in 4 weeks.

crzyjournalist03
10-14-2008, 02:25 PM
Seems a bit much for an incident in which police, the team, the bodyguard, and player all claim was a "non-event"...I guess Goodell wants to lay down the hammer again. It's a shame he's inconsistent with his dealings.

Eagle 1
10-14-2008, 02:35 PM
IRVING, Texas - Add Adam "Pacman" Jones to the list of idle Cowboys players.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has suspended the embattled cornerback for at least the next four games without pay following a week-long investigation of Jones' altercation last week with his bodyguard at a downtown Dallas hotel.

Goodell, in a letter to Jones, said he would readdress the issue following the Cowboys' Nov. 16 game at Washington, the fourth of this tentative four-game suspension. Goodell previously had expressed disappointment over having to answer further questions about Jones following last week's incident.

In the suspension letter Jones received on Tuesday, Goodell called this "a disturbing pattern of behavior and clearly inconsistent with the conditions I set for your continued participation in the NFL."

The Cowboys chose not to discipline Jones last week after their investigation concluded that he and bodyguard Tommy Jones took "friendly banter" a bit too far in the hotel lobby's bathroom, according to team owner Jerry Jones. Police reports said a glass light fixture was broken, but no arrests were made and no charges were filed.

Jerry Jones and the team has asked Adam Jones to keep a low profile in public due to the "reservoir of doubt" he has created through repeated violations of the NFL's personal conduct policy.

"He has created with his actions no benefit of the doubt," Jerry Jones said last week. "We knew, not from the standpoint of protecting him physically, we knew that if he did go out in public that it was important - because he had no benefit of the doubt left - that it was important that if he got in an awkward situation, which can happen by notable people, that they be there to protect that as well."

Jones' involvement in a Las Vegas brawl on Feb. 19, 2007, along with several previous run-ins with police, led to his one-year suspension while a member of the Tennessee Titans. On draft weekend this past April, the Cowboys traded a fourth-round pick for Jones and signed him to a revised three-year contract with a player option for a fourth.

The league granted Jones partial reinstatement (training camp, preseason) in June and full reinstatement for the regular season in late August. Through six games, he has 27 tackles and a team-high 11 pass deflections.

Although Jones' contract carries minimal financial risk, the Cowboys have relied on him as Terence Newman's replacement at left cornerback. With Newman expected to miss at least another three weeks following abdominal surgery, rookies Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick will now be forced into significant playing time during Jones' suspension. And if the defense continues moving Anthony Henry inside in the dime package, second-year veteran Alan Ball would have to serve as the fourth corner.

Jones' suspension means the injury-plagued Cowboys must do without yet another key player. Quarterback Tony Romo could miss a month with a fractured pinkie finger on his throwing hand, punter Mat McBriar is out six-to-eight weeks with a fractured foot and rookie running back Felix Jones could miss at least two games with a hamstring injury.

kepdawg
10-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Seems a bit much for an incident in which police, the team, the bodyguard, and player all claim was a "non-event"...I guess Goodell wants to lay down the hammer again. It's a shame he's inconsistent with his dealings.

Pacman's situation reminds me of a lot of people on 3ADL. The rules were pretty simple but yet he still couldn't follow them.

crzyjournalist03
10-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Pacman's situation reminds me of a lot of people on 3ADL. The rules were pretty simple but yet he still couldn't follow them.

You could say the same thing about Bill Belichick, but he just lost the #31 overall draft pick. :rolleyes:

Bullaholic
10-14-2008, 02:47 PM
The following fable always comes to mind when I read about Pac Man Jones incidents and his deal with the Cowboys:

: Scorpion And The Turtle
A scorpion, being a very poor swimmer, asked a turtle to carry him on its back across the river. "Are you mad?" exclaimed the turtle. "You'll sting me while I'm swimming and I'll drown." "My dear turtle," laughed the scorpion, "If I were to sting you, you would drown and I'd go down with you. Now where is the logic in that?" "You're right," cried the turtle. "Hop on." The scorpion climbed aboard and halfway across the river gave the turtle a mighty sting. As they both sank to the bottom, the turtle, resigned, said, "Do you mind if I ask you something? You said there is no logic in your stinging me. Why did you do it?" "It has nothing to do with logic," the drowning scorpion replied. "It's just my nature."

kepdawg
10-14-2008, 02:50 PM
You could say the same thing about Bill Belichick, but he just lost the #31 overall draft pick. :rolleyes:

Was Belichick in the game after a one year suspension? Pacman knew he had no slack to play with.

Macarthur
10-14-2008, 02:52 PM

I'm of the opinion that Pac has made his bed and has to lie in it, and I'm a Cowboys fan.

BUT I agree with you 100% that Goddell is a hypocrite and applies selective judgement. He was way way too leinient on Belicheck and the Pats.

crzyjournalist03
10-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I'm of the opinion that Pac has made his bed and has to lie in it, and I'm a Cowboys fan.

BUT I agree with you 100% that Goddell is a hypocrite and applies selective judgement. He was way way too leinient on Belicheck and the Pats.

If Goodell was coming down on everybody like this, it would be one thing, but it seems he's made people like Chris Henry and Adam Jones his example.

Chiefs RB Larry Johnson was charged with assault recently...do you think he's going to get suspended?

Plaxico Burress was reported to have numerous domestic incidents as well as team violations during the team-mandated suspension...do you think Goodell would have even said anything if the Giants had let him play?

I honestly believe that had Jerry Jones suspended Adam Jones for a game last week, Goodell wouldn't have supsended him indefinitely today.

ziggy29
10-14-2008, 03:08 PM
With apologies to George Harrison, sung to the tune of "Taxman" by the Beatles:

Let me tell you how it will be;
Another bust this year for me;
Because I'm Pacman,
Yeahhhh, 'cause I'm Pacman,

Should four more games appear too small;
I'm thankful I can play at all;
Because I'm Pacman,
Yeahhhh, 'cause I'm Pacman,

Now that Goodell has shown some stones;
I won't like facing Jerry Jones;
Because I'm Pacman,
Yeahhhh, 'cause I'm Pacman!

JasperDog94
10-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Hate to say it.....okay...no I don't....but...I SAID THIS WOULD HAPPEN!!! When you get that many thugs, dysfunctional "me" guys, etc. on one team...a meltdown is inevitable. How exactly is this a "meltdown"? He screwed up and will now be punished. Not sure how that's a meltdown.

Macarthur
10-14-2008, 03:59 PM
If Goodell was coming down on everybody like this, it would be one thing, but it seems he's made people like Chris Henry and Adam Jones his example.

Chiefs RB Larry Johnson was charged with assault recently...do you think he's going to get suspended?

Plaxico Burress was reported to have numerous domestic incidents as well as team violations during the team-mandated suspension...do you think Goodell would have even said anything if the Giants had let him play?

I honestly believe that had Jerry Jones suspended Adam Jones for a game last week, Goodell wouldn't have supsended him indefinitely today.

Very true.

He's been very inconsistent in hading out punishment.

Bullaholic
10-14-2008, 04:12 PM
I think Pac Man is done in the NFL. Dallas will use its younger secondary players and they will become experienced in their positions. That makes Pac expendable and not worth the trouble any longer. I don't think any othe NFL team will want him with his baggage. Plus, you don't cross a powerful man like Jerry Jones but once.

IHStangFan
10-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
How exactly is this a "meltdown"? He screwed up and will now be punished. Not sure how that's a meltdown. gimme a freakin break man....seriously. Adam Jones is a walking disaster. THIRTEEN encounters since coming into the league (or is that since college....irregardless) that have involved the cops? You Cowboy apologists never cease to amaze me. Between him, and T.O. alone...anyway...we'll see. EXACTLY the reason even being raised a die-hard Cowboys fan my whole life.....that I no longer even turn the TV on for their games. Jerry Jones and his thugs have ruined it for me.

kepdawg
10-14-2008, 04:29 PM
gimme a freakin break man....seriously. Adam Jones is a walking disaster. THIRTEEN encounters since coming into the league (or is that since college....irregardless) that have involved the cops? You Cowboy apologists never cease to amaze me. Between him, and T.O. alone...anyway...we'll see. EXACTLY the reason even being raised a die-hard Cowboys fan my whole life.....that I no longer even turn the TV on for their games. Jerry Jones and his thugs have ruined it for me.

So how is it a meltdown? If anything it should be a positive for the 'boys!

IHStangFan
10-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
So how is it a meltdown? If anything it should be a positive for the 'boys! oh it's DEFINATELY a positive...but it's a shame the positive is born through a negative. Like I said, give it time, it'll get worse before it gets better. T.O. will be next when he realizes Johnson isn't capable of getting him the ball down field....give it time.

kepdawg
10-14-2008, 04:36 PM
oh it's DEFINATELY a positive...but it's a shame the positive is born through a negative. Like I said, give it time, it'll get worse before it gets better. T.O. will be next when he realizes Johnson isn't capable of getting him the ball down field....give it time.

Well as good as Romo was doing getting TO the ball things won't change too much!

blowfish
10-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Dont feel to bad for the Cowboys over this suspension. The second it happened we got a 5th round pick from the Titans.

I hope we use that pick and maybe pick up another receiver (Roy Williams) or another quality player.

crzyjournalist03
10-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by blowfish
Dont feel to bad for the Cowboys over this suspension. The second it happened we got a 5th round pick from the Titans.

I hope we use that pick and maybe pick up another receiver (Roy Williams) or another quality player.

you sir, are a while behind the times...

blowfish
10-14-2008, 08:32 PM
I guess I am confused? How am I behind the times?

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/10/14/pacmans-new-suspension-costs-tennessee-titans-two-draft-picks/

Fal44
10-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by blowfish
I guess I am confused? How am I behind the times?

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/10/14/pacmans-new-suspension-costs-tennessee-titans-two-draft-picks/

roy williams was recently traded to the cowboys...

coach
10-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by bigYoe
well you guys have got to remember that Johnson is the only QB on the roster that has won a Super Bowl, the only one to win a playoff game at that. I believe he'll show the Cowboys a slower pace but with good plays. I believe Johnson will get the Cowboys ready for when Romo gets back in 4 weeks.

not true T.O. went to the super bowl ao therefore he has won a playoff game

JR2004
10-14-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm not going to insult thugs by calling Adam Jones one. This guy is as close to being as completely worthless as a person can be. He should've never been given another chance after the incident in Vegas. That should've been the end of him playing in the NFL.

themsu97
10-15-2008, 10:19 AM
If I understand the situation correctly... Adam was intoxicated very heavily... part of the agreement he had with Goodell and Jerry was that he would never be intoxicated in public again... which Adam clearly violated...

I think the league is understanding is that Adam has a drinking problem that he needs to get under control

ziggy29
10-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
If I understand the situation correctly... Adam was intoxicated very heavily... part of the agreement he had with Goodell and Jerry was that he would never be intoxicated in public again... which Adam clearly violated...

I think the league is understanding is that Adam has a drinking problem that he needs to get under control
I suspect that when it's time for Goodell to review the situation in four weeks, the response will essentially be -- check yourself into Betty Ford or else you're done.

themsu97
10-15-2008, 04:55 PM
and that would be my guess as well...

Adam has talent and I would really love to see him get his life together... but even the suspension did not help... I think the league or Jerry, which I think he has, needs to step in and help this young man...

ziggy29
10-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Just as I thought -- he's reportedly entering rehab:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3646257

I suspect he was told behind closed doors that rehab represents his last chance with the NFL.

I think Pacman is a punk, but I wish him success in rehab regardless of anything else. I don't wish the demons of alcohol addiction on anyone.