PDA

View Full Version : SEC or Big 12?---Who's Better?

Bullaholic
10-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Which is the stronger conference right now- the SEC or the Big 12? Why?

raider red 2000
10-14-2008, 10:32 AM
i dont think that any big 12 school could go to lsu, florida, bama, or gerorgia and win.

i dont see any big 12 schools having that big of a home advantage.

the aggies back in the day.....had a huge homefield advantage....in my opinion lubbock, austin, columbia, norman, or stillwater are not as tough of places to play.

could be wrong....but i voted SEC.

Txbroadcaster
10-14-2008, 10:38 AM
I dont know who is better..but I do think the SEC gets overrated

You always hear about the amazing defenses in the SEC, and yes some are stout, but also it could be the offenses at most SEC schools are anemic at best

raider red 2000
10-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I dont know who is better..but I do think the SEC gets overrated

You always hear about the amazing defenses in the SEC, and yes some are stout, but also it could be the offenses at most SEC schools are anemic at best

i will agree with that.

if the SEC Defenses had to see teams like UT, OU, TECH, and Mizzou every week it would be different than seeing the I 7 games a year.

i think Florida has the advantage over most of those teams, because they are not like most of the other schools....they will pound it with Tebow....but other than that....they spread it more.

bigYoe
10-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Big 12 by far, Big 12 has too many weapons on each team especially South. SEC is usually the toughest conference but this year is overrated. I believe that Texas will stick with #1 throughout the year. They play as a team and not 1 person is selfish and wants all the spotlight though McCoy gets it without doing anything. Texas, Oklahoma, Tech, Missouri, OKlahoma State, and maybe even Nebraska could easily hang with any SEC team and Florida beating LSU by 30 shows how Mediocre teams in the SEC can be. I heard one thing this year that i stick with and love. Its Not who's better, but who's better THAT DAY.

vet93
10-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Wow...good question...It is like comparing apples and oranges. SEC tends to play power football with great defense. The Big 12 has gravitated towards finesse offenses that can torch you but have a little trouble closing out games. On a neutral site...I think that a tournament with the top 6 from each conference would be about even. I agree with red raider that at home the SEC teams would be extremely difficult to beat due to the homefield advantage that teams like LSU and Florida have. I think that it is great the the Big 12 has evolved into the competitve conference that they are now...it makes things fun (unless you are an Aggie fan like myself...in which case...not so fun right now!). I guess if pressed...despite the current rankings I would give a slight edge to the SEC because it is hard to bet against the great defenses that the SEC has...especially during crunch time...also these defenses with the speed that they have...are the ones that tend to give the spread teams fits. In other works...Advantage SEC, though the Big 12 is closing the gap.

ronwx5x
10-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Which is the stronger conference right now- the SEC or the Big 12? Why?

Why is this college football thread still open?

:D

Bullaholic
10-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Why is this college football thread still open?

:D

"News" items unrelated to a specific game will be allowed to be posted and discussed. If posts on news related threads become unacceptable, the above action will be taken as well."

While not exactly a "news" item, the thread does not ask for discussion on games between rivals.

Actually, it's because I carry a lot of weight with PPHSFan....:D

29-3aFAN
10-14-2008, 11:24 AM
BIG 12

raider red 2000
10-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

Actually, it's because I carry a lot of weight with PPHSFan....:D

glad someone has some pull around here.

and glad we get a little college discussion :)

gatordaze
10-14-2008, 03:15 PM
I think at the very top they are pretty even. The top six head to head would make a good bowl series with the SEC fairing well. The big difference is at the bottom. The bottom 6 for the SEC would smoke the bottom of the Big 12. Comparing the 24 teams based upon their current aggregated rankings would give the following matchups. Wins are based upon the higher ranked team winning.

Texas (1) v. Alabam (3) = Big 12
Oklahoma (5) v. Florida (8) = Big 12
Texas Tech (7) v. Georgia (9) = Big 12
OK State (6) v. LSU (28) = Big 12
Mizzou (11) v. Vandy (27) = Big 12
Kansas (23) v. South Carolina (30) = Big 12

Nebraska (39) v. Kentucky (36) = SEC
Colorado (55) v. Ole Miss (46) = SEC
K State (60) v. Auburn (52) = SEC
Baylor (61) v. Arky (64) = Big 12
TAMU (94) v. Tenn (75) = SEC
Iowa State (95) v. Miss State (81) = SEC

I think Texas and Mizzou are the locks for the Big 12. I like the SEC in the rest with OK v UF the best game.

Rankings are from here...
http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare.htm

eagles_victory
10-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Ou would handle Florida. People see that win Florida had over an overrated no good QB team in LSU and want to throw Florida in as one of the best in the country. They lost to Ole Miss at home all be it a little bit of a flukish loss they still lost to a 3-3 Ole Miss team at home. Im not trying to be hard on Florida because they are one of my top 5 favorite college teams I just think people are putting too much stock in the win over LSU.

ziggy29
10-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Top to bottom I think the SEC is better. Overall I think it's almost a toss-up at this point.

gatordaze
10-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Ou would handle Florida. People see that win Florida had over an overrated no good QB team in LSU and want to throw Florida in as one of the best in the country. They lost to Ole Miss at home all be it a little bit of a flukish loss they still lost to a 3-3 Ole Miss team at home. Im not trying to be hard on Florida because they are one of my top 5 favorite college teams I just think people are putting too much stock in the win over LSU.

The good news is that we may get to find out. If Florida plays the way they did last week the rest of the way they will be as good as anyone.

NastySlot
10-14-2008, 04:53 PM
some of you are too quick to belittle teams for a loss....what if the horns beat missouri.... and lose to tech and osu...given they won't be the number one team anymore.....but could they still be top ten?............and would you say they were overrated? better yet texas wins out through that tough stretch and loses to baylor...would say they were overrated....i know i wouldn't......remember this saying coaches say it all the time your only as good as you last game.

zebrablue2
10-14-2008, 05:00 PM
the big 12 for sure......

Necks_Fan
10-14-2008, 05:04 PM
The offensive firepower in the big 12 seals the deal.

WylieBulldog92
10-14-2008, 08:22 PM
I know it's kind of a weird thing to say but the style of play is totally different although it's still I-A football, it's almost impossible to compare because one is a powerhouse offensive conference and the other is a powerhouse defensive conference, but as far as this year goes I will give my vote to the Big 12.