PDA

View Full Version : No Media Coverage for 3A teams?

Bullaholic
10-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem that large newspapers have dropped coverage of most 3A schools? The Bulls are doing well this season and I can't find hardly any game stats each week from any of the surrounding newspaper sports depts. of Dallas, Ft. Worth, Wichita Falls, or Denton. Of course, we still get local coverage from our 2 local weekly county newspapers but that is just about all.

JR2004
10-12-2008, 07:17 PM
The DMN isn't going to cover a school as far away as Bridgeport.

Old Green
10-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Is it just me, or does it seem that large newspapers have dropped coverage of most 3A schools? The Bulls are doing well this season and I can't find hardly any game stats each week from any of the surrounding newspaper sports depts. of Dallas, Ft. Worth, Wichita Falls, or Denton. Of course, we still get local coverage from our 2 local weekly county newspapers but that is just about all. San Antonio Express quit covering our area this year. They even quit delivering the papers down here and sent me my subscription fee back. Our area is only covered by the Victoria Advocate now.

LH Panther Mom
10-12-2008, 07:23 PM
The American-Statesman does a pretty decent job most of the time.

bleedgreen
10-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Kennedale's RB Aaron Wingfield had a short article on him in DFW Varsity (Star Telegram) this past wed or thurs. That's about all I've seen. On another subject, I would like to mention that 2A Grandview is having a great season but I don't know why. Anyone know? They are ranked 14 by AP.

JR2004
10-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by bleedgreen
Kennedale's RB Aaron Wingfield had a short article on him in DFW Varsity (Star Telegram) this past wed or thurs. That's about all I've seen.

I caught that little piece about Wingfield on the Star-Telegram high school blog. The DMN does a great job with their blog and they cover high school athletics far better than any other major newspaper in the state.

Budman007
10-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Most of the large city newspapers are hurting right now. I contacted the FW Star Telegram regarding their poor coverage of 3A and smaller schools around the DFW metroplex, and I was told that due to cutbacks they just did not have enough staff to cover the smaller schools anymore. Apparently, they have made little to no effort to utilize volunteers or to explore other alternatives.

I would urge everyone to support their smaller community newspapers through subscriptions and advertising, and to discontinue any advertising in these larger papers and to drop their subscriptions immediately.

The small Kennedale blurp is the first and only effort the Star Telegram has made thus far---over halfway through the season.

We know we've got some of the best football in the state in 3A with or without the big city rags!

Rabid Cougar
10-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Lots of knocks on the Waco Trib but they do know where their bread is buttered. They do a heck of a job covering all levels of High school football in Central Texas. We don't have a 5 A school in the lcoal area but we do have lots of 6 man and they have their own section on the sports page and stats page.

Trashman
10-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Mrs. Trashman works in the print media industry and says that all news papers are suffering, mostly due to the internet and the price of ink and paper. They are all cutting cost and the easiest way to do that is to cut coverage.:(

Txbroadcaster
10-12-2008, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Budman007
Most of the large city newspapers are hurting right now. I contacted the FW Star Telegram regarding their poor coverage of 3A and smaller schools around the DFW metroplex, and I was told that due to cutbacks they just did not have enough staff to cover the smaller schools anymore. Apparently, they have made little to no effort to utilize volunteers or to explore other alternatives.

I would urge everyone to support their smaller community newspapers through subscriptions and advertising, and to discontinue any advertising in these larger papers and to drop their subscriptions immediately.

The small Kennedale blurp is the first and only effort the Star Telegram has made thus far---over halfway through the season.

We know we've got some of the best football in the state in 3A with or without the big city rags!

first off..finding "volunteers" to do it free or for a small pittance of a stringer fee and STAY COMMITTED the entire year is REALLY hard

What alternative ideas are there?

Your saying NOT to advertise in those papers..yet that is the EXACT reason they have had to cut back their coverage...lack of advertising

VWG
10-12-2008, 07:51 PM
The FW Star Telegram has cut back on a lot of HS sports coverage. Even during basketball and baseball season, the local schools around FW get very little coverage.

Budman007
10-12-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm saying to advertise in your small town community newspapers instead of the big city rags. Our county newspaper has been very effective covering all the county's teams by utilizing volunteers for many years now. It can be done, but the newspaper does have to make some type of effort first.

My frustration with the Star Telegram is that they sure as heck take money from businesses in our county and other areas with 3A schools that advertise in their paper on a regular basis, but have made absolutely no effort to cover our kids in these same communities.

slpybear the bullfan
10-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Sad to see it on both the DMN and Startlegram. Both used to be such a pleasure to read on Saturday Morning.... loved reading about my Bulls there.

Now?

Blech. I just go online to read the message boards and don't buy any newspaper(s).

nunya
10-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
The American-Statesman does a pretty decent job most of the time.

and they LOOOOOVE the word "CHAPS"