PDA

View Full Version : 2 Way Players in 3A

Ktown2004
12-21-2001, 11:22 AM
I'm compiling some info on playing both sides of the ball? How many of you guys do it? Let me hear it!

toby070
12-21-2001, 12:08 PM
I'm not a coach, just an observer, but I haven't seen many 3a schools that really had the talent to keep players from going both ways. LaGrange did it, and I'd say that's a huge advantage if you can (they definately have that level of talent), but most just don't have the quantity of talent to do it effectively.

I follow Wimberley, and they do a nice job with what they have of at least being able to rest some kids by alternating series.

bohemian
12-21-2001, 12:28 PM
toby070, I just want to say thank you on your compliments you always give to LaGrange. It's nice to know there is someone out there who gives positive remarks instead of negative ones! Again thanks and have a very happy and safe holidays.

rholl
12-21-2001, 01:24 PM
Everman didn't...for the most part. There were a few that got rotations on both sides. But not full-time... both ways, I think!! Other Everman people may shed more light on the team.

toby070
12-21-2001, 01:27 PM
Bohemian, I have lots of respect for your team. I've watched nearly every Wimberley game on the sidelines for the last two years, and your guys had by far the best defense they've played against IMO. Hard hitting, also backside pursuit was the best I've seen. I know a lot goes on that I can't see from the sidelines, but one thing you definately see from there is which teams run their mouths and which don't. Wimberley is a team that lets their play do the talking, and your boys are the same way. I have to be honest with you and say that since you were returning state champs, and since Wimberley didn't seem to get the respect they deserved, at least on these types of boards, I didn't know what to expect, but those are good kids for sure.

Good luck to you!

evebulldog01
12-21-2001, 03:52 PM
Blaine Harrell for everman went both ways as well as Tonae Martin, Victor Sanford, Tremaine Wright, Ricky Kinney.

SintonFan
12-22-2001, 04:23 AM
Sinton had Marcus Charles and Julian Ruiz go RB/DB. Chris Rhines was LB and part FB or RB. I'm sure I missed a couple.

Tiger Turtle
12-22-2001, 07:53 AM
During Sealy's four-year championship run, nobody played both ways, except for two kids from the defense who played tight end and blocking back in the full-house set we used on goal-line and two-point conversion sets. Once the talent level dropped to the point where kids had to play both ways, the run ended. In my opinion, that is the reason 3A teams can not compete on a sustained basis with the upper level 4A teams, because the bigger schools have enough kids to not play anyone both ways.

VWG
01-01-2002, 11:16 AM
I think that the smaller 3A schools will play more players both ways. The larger 3A schools will specialize but even then you can't keep those great athletes off the field.
Kelly Atwood from Graham went both ways at safety and split end. Kid was 6-3a MVP, and a Ft. Worth Star Telegram 1st team defensive player for all classifications. Tremendous ability to win MVP and not be a running back or QB.

CHS_DT38
01-01-2002, 11:17 PM
Coach Ron Dupree (Castleberry)is another 3A coach that does not allow his players to go both ways.