PDA

View Full Version : Smithville Tigers @ La Grange Leopards

Pudlugger
10-12-2008, 04:55 PM
After a disappointing loss to Bellville can the Leps bounce back and hand a surprisingly strong Smithvile team their third loss after a 4-0 start? Smithville always plays the Leps tough and this year they will bring a very good team capable of putting up big points into Lep stadium. The Leopards after their underwhelming game against Bellville are in danger of being shut out of the race for a playoff spot in highly competitive D25. If the Leps take Smithville lightly they will fall to 0-2 in district with Giddings, Columbus and Sealy to go. This is a must win game for both teams. I believe the Leps will win if they can protect the Qb and stop the run, two things they failed to accomplish against the raging Bulls last Friday.

Leps 35
Smithville 21

Bull's-eye
10-12-2008, 05:20 PM
The loser will drop to 0-2 and that would really put that team in a big hole, as far as making the playoffs. La Grange will find a way to give their QB's time to throw and that should spell doom for the Tigers. I would like to see LG call some more running plays. This would keep the defense more honest and not allow them to tee off on every play. LG wins and remains in the playoff race.

CoffeeCup
10-12-2008, 07:51 PM
I saw one of the Leps starting defenders on the side line #2 Friday night. Is he injured and if so for how long?

buff4ever
10-12-2008, 08:25 PM
LG takes this one and smithville is running out of steam.

LHS 2SONS
10-12-2008, 08:32 PM
#2 was hurt in the Hamshire/Fannette game, he suffered a deep bruise on his lower leg, the swelling has not gone down yet and is going back to the doctor tomorrow, it was a game time decision for him not to play against Bellville.

Every game is crucial for LG and also for Smithville and Sealy. 0 - 2 will put you in a big hole that you probably will not overcome.

Good Luck LEPS

FormerBellvilleBrahma
10-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
After a disappointing loss to Bellville. The Leopards after their underwhelming game against Bellville

disappointing?
underwhelming?

Totally opposite of what words was used last year.

Pudlugger
10-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
disappointing?
underwhelming?

Totally opposite of what words was used last year.

I think most folks were disappointed in the Lep performance against Bellville. In that they could have performed better, it was underwhelming i.e. an unimpressive performance.
This is not intended to take anything away from Bellville, but the Leps failed to make the necessary adjustments in the second half and Bellville took control of the game.

Watcher
10-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Pudlugger I have yet to see LaGrange play, but I will say that Smithville can blitz quicker than any team I have seen. They are quick on the dline and quicker as linebackers. If the Lep line can hold off the pressure it will be a good game. QB will get hit hard and the tigers don't quit. Good luck to both teams.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
10-12-2008, 09:38 PM
I think most folks were disappointed in the Lep performance against Bellville. In that they could have performed better, it was underwhelming i.e. an unimpressive performance.
This is not intended to take anything away from Bellville, but the Leps failed to make the necessary adjustments in the second half and Bellville took control of the game.

Maybe the Leps played vs the best opponent to date? Maybe the leps could not adjust to the Brahmas? With comments like this, you are trying to take away, from how Bellville looked on friday vs the Leps. Your remarks after last years game are still in the minds of Bellville posters. Dont give excusses to lower a team that is clearly the better team.

Pudlugger
10-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Maybe the Leps played vs the best opponent to date? Maybe the leps could not adjust to the Brahmas? With comments like this, you are trying to take away, from how Bellville looked on friday vs the Leps. Your remarks after last years game are still in the minds of Bellville posters. Dont give excusses to lower a team that is clearly the better team.

Oh come on FBB, I have said over and over again in my posts how well Bellville played and how good they are as a team. I really think it is a stretch to infer that to be disappointed in how the Leps played is any criticism whatsoever of the performance by Bellville. I think you just need to be satisfied winning this year's game and move on to the next opponent. We can take all this up again next year, God willing.

GoPaStoners
10-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Smithville is much improved and I bet is going to be working extra hard this week to put one on the Leps.. They are extremely quick this year and have truly bought into the program.. Congrats to Tigers staff..

I have yet to see LG play, but have heard that they are for real.. LG has always been known for their athletes throughout the years...

This will be a close game.. I won't predict a winner, but this game will probably be decided by 9 pts or less..

FormerBellvilleBrahma
10-13-2008, 01:58 PM
La grange sells tickets for the game ball on the visitors side, they said they would give one ball away to the visiting side. There was a Bellville fan that set side me and bought 25$ worth of these tickets and never heard the press box call the number. Did they forget or just take the Bellville fans money?

JR2004
10-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Oh come on FBB, I have said over and over again in my posts how well Bellville played and how good they are as a team. I really think it is a stretch to infer that to be disappointed in how the Leps played is any criticism whatsoever of the performance by Bellville. I think you just need to be satisfied winning this year's game and move on to the next opponent. We can take all this up again next year, God willing.

You're out to get him just like everyone else! :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

Pudlugger
10-13-2008, 02:20 PM
They had the raffle at half time and the man behind me won it. His son plays on the team. Sorry your friend didn't win. By rights it should have gone to a Bellville fan owing to the outcome of the game.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
10-13-2008, 02:40 PM
They had the raffle at half time and the man behind me won it. His son plays on the team. Sorry your friend didn't win. By rights it should have gone to a Bellville fan owing to the outcome of the game.

Pud we were told there would be 2 balls, one for each side. We were told the tickets bought on the bellville side would be only for the Bellville side. We never heard them call a number for the Bellville side?

DaHop72
10-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Maybe the Leps played vs the best opponent to date? Maybe the leps could not adjust to the Brahmas? With comments like this, you are trying to take away, from how Bellville looked on friday vs the Leps. Your remarks after last years game are still in the minds of Bellville posters. Dont give excusses to lower a team that is clearly the better team. Wow, here we go again. I think Pudlugger only said what about 99.9% of posters says when their teams lose. They compliment the other team for winning but most everyone has seen their team play better so they state that as well.:rolleyes:

FormerBellvilleBrahma
10-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
You're out to get him just like everyone else! :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

What does this have to do with you and your laker boy-friend?
Most men have pictures of pretty women on their post, you have a man?

Pudlugger
10-13-2008, 04:13 PM
I'll look into it and PM you if I find out what happened. I was down at the concession stand when the raffle was held.

zebrablue2
10-13-2008, 05:41 PM
I'll look into it and PM you if I find out what happened. I was down at the concession stand when the raffle was held.

Hey Pud, just give FBB his purple and gold football and be done with it--LOL.:D:crazy: Only FBB would :hijacktd: a La Grange- Smithville poll thread with that darn football.

Bull's-eye
10-13-2008, 06:52 PM
I want to see LG do well because that makes Bellville look even better. Honestly, after watching them pass all over H-F, I did have my concerns. FBB, give Pud a break, he didn't go into hiding like some of the other LG posters.

La Grange did a good job against the H-F blitz, but most of that came from the outside. Bellville had success through the middle and the smaller & quicker Bellville defensive line gave LG more problems than the huge H-F line. LG will bounce back and win this game.

bvillebrahma010
10-14-2008, 12:10 AM
i highly doubt smithville will have a middle linebacker that will hurdle he center like bellville's did! jesus,the kid is amazing!!

Pudlugger
10-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Hopefully the Lep coaches will make the appropriate adjustments to this weakness in the offense. Maybe they can go to a two setback formation to give the qb a little more time to get his pass off. With 7 guys blitzing you need some help in the backfield to pick up the blitz. Also, when the d sets up over the center like they were doing last week the O line should double team the nose guard and the back should pick up the mlb blitzing. It was the difference in the game last week and all the opposition will follow suit in their prepaation for the Leps.

nunya
10-14-2008, 10:05 PM
I think La Grange was lucky to end that game with a 14-point loss. You can't hardly call that underwhelming. Be thankful you're better than last year.

Pudlugger
10-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Nunya should be thankful that Caldwell will not have to play La Grange this year after the way Bellville blew them out this season. At least the Leps could hang with Bellville for three and a half quarters. It was all over for caldwell after the first 10 minutes.:mad:

Now, back on topic. Smithville comes into this game with everything to gain and nothing to loss. A very talented team that has pulled together for 4 wins so far can not be overlooked. Past records have nothing to do with this game. My own football team in 1963 had a thirteen year winning record over a new high school in CA , Fontana. They had never beaten Chaffey High. Well they beat use 13-12 and I will never forget the humiliation on the bus ride home. The Steeler fans pounded on the side of the bus and gave us the old CA one finger howdy-do on the way out of their parking lot. Records are there to be broken. Get ready Leps because this Tiger team will come to play football.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
10-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
I want to see LG do well because that makes Bellville look even better. LG will bounce back and win this game.

La grange by 4 Td's.

nunya
10-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Nunya should be thankful that Caldwell will not have to play La Grange this year after the way Bellville blew them out this season. At least the Leps could hang with Bellville for three and a half quarters. It was all over for caldwell after the first 10 minutes.:mad:

Interesting how point-spreads don't seem to matter when it's your own team, but if it's a team supported by a poster who says LG isn't as good, all of a sudden point spreads IN WEEK ZERO after Caldwell scrimmaged New Waverly to prepare for Bellville is supposed to define an entire season.

Read the stats or ask objective Bellville fans, that game was closer on the field than when LG played them. Had they not gotten a punt blocked on their own 20 yard line, missed a 25-yard field goal and drop two wide-open TD's like Caldwell did, you have different ballgame. The stats told a different story. It might not be a blowout, mind you, but Caldwell's offense is 30 percent stronger than last year's, the same that nobody gave a chance to contend after losing 25 seniors.

You bragged about the Hornet offense the last two years, especially when you were giddy about the come-from-behind Bellville win two years ago. Now.... the offense is even better. Navasota's team is WAY better than last year's and we racked up over 500 yards offense, according to the Statesman.

LG is improved from last year but hang with Caldwell this year? Me thinketh not.

Pudlugger
10-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by nunya
I think La Grange was lucky to end that game with a 14-point loss. You can't hardly call that underwhelming. Be thankful you're better than last year.

You think the Leps were lucky to only lose by 14. I guess you feel that the Hornets were just unlucky to loss by 30. Okay, if you say so. :rolleyes:

OldBison75
10-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Let's not even compare the Caldwell team now to the opening weekend against Bellville. The new starters and young men have eliminated the mistakes and first game jitters and might very well beat Bellville if they played now. I'm not taking anything from Bellville because I think there is a good chance they will be the Regional champion, but don't trash former opponents.

As far as the LaGrange and Smithville game, the Leps will win this game by at least two touchdowns because they have a solid defense and Smithville will not have the speed to matchup with the Lep passing game. After the games last week, I think the district race became much clearer. Bellville and Gidding will be there, with Columbus and the Leps deciding the third palce in a head to head matchup.

Pudlugger
10-16-2008, 05:06 PM
OldBison you may be right. I have heard from others on this board that Smithville has plenty of speed so I think the Leps will have to bring their A game to win. This is a must win game for both teams and they will put it all out on the field. I am looking forward to a high scoring game and see the Leps winning by 2 tds.

bobcat04
10-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Pud,
I have seen both teams play this year. Smithville has very good team speed with a couple of game breakers. Lagrange can flat out throw the football. The difference in this game will be if Smithville can figure a way to cover the multi talented group of receivers from Lagrange. These two teams are capable of beating anyone on any given day. I will take LaGrange 28-27.

Pudlugger
10-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by bobcat04
Pud,
I have seen both teams play this year. Smithville has very good team speed with a couple of game breakers. Lagrange can flat out throw the football. The difference in this game will be if Smithville can figure a way to cover the multi talented group of receivers from Lagrange. These two teams are capable of beating anyone on any given day. I will take LaGrange 28-27.

I really hope the Leps do not let Smithville keep it close. The Lep passing game strikes fast and can change the momentum on one or two big plays. Even though Bellville's solid defense was giving the Leps fits they scored twice on big pass plays, once on 4th and long. If the O line can hold tonight the Leps should put up some big points.

Bull's-eye
10-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Good luck Leps! :)

hookandladder
10-17-2008, 11:13 AM
I really hope the Leps do not let Smithville keep it close. The Lep passing game strikes fast and can change the momentum on one or two big plays. Even though Bellville's solid defense was giving the Leps fits they scored twice on big pass plays, once on 4th and long. If the O line can hold tonight the Leps should put up some big points.

I heard we may play only 1 QB tonight instead of rotating as we have done all year. I would have to agree with this decision if it does come true. I think most know who the 1 QB would be. GO Leps.

OldBison75
10-17-2008, 12:56 PM
The Lep passing game is too much speed and skill for the Tiger defense. They are not bad, but they can't put the pressure on the passer that Bellville did. Either Lep QB will pick them apart if given time. If the Leps are really going to a single QB, I bet the other plays some reciever and running back. Great athletes like them can't be kept off the field. Smithville has the talent to surprise most teams, but now that they know they can be beat, I fear they will not have the same confidence they showed early on. The Leps will roll and clear up the district race significantly.
Good luck to both teams.

PutMeInCoach
10-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Any score updates?

Pudlugger
10-17-2008, 10:31 PM
OK what can I say? The Tigers just whupped the Leps up and down the field.
It was a Donkey Stomp.
Whipped like a rented mule.
Taken to the woodshed.
Beaten like a red headed step child.
Stomped a mud hole in our 50 yard line.
It was not as close as it seems.
I will try to think of some more pertinent remarks when I recover.

Congratulations to a terrific Smithville Tiger team that came into Lep Stadium and settled some scores big time.

It looks like an uphill battle now to gain a playoff spot.:weeping:

jrhernandez7
10-17-2008, 10:33 PM
wow didnt get to attend the game but what can i say this is a big shockker in my books, lg is better than that, but smithville last two games taken from there grabs and looks like they took all there frustration out, hope they can ride this wave and take on another 4game winning streak lol

nunya
10-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Now, who was it after a 32-7 win over Lexington (who everyone called pitiful this year) that said

SMITHVILLE

HAS

ARRIVED

?:tisk:

Reds fan
10-17-2008, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
I heard we may play only 1 QB tonight instead of rotating as we have done all year. I would have to agree with this decision if it does come true. I think most know who the 1 QB would be. GO Leps.

Did La Grange go with that 1 QB tonight?

hookandladder
10-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
Did La Grange go with that 1 QB tonight?

Yes,the Schineder kid started and the Henderson kid played half of the 3rd quarter and all of the 4th. Did not make any difference, neither QB had much time, we had our chances in the first half but could not punch it in. Drives would bogg down inside the 20 yard line.

Reds fan
10-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
Yes,the Schineder kid started and the Henderson kid played half of the 3rd quarter and all of the 4th. Did not make any difference, neither QB had much time, we had our chances in the first half but could not punch it in. Drives would bogg down inside the 20 yard line.

Both QB's are quality players, I think LG will still make some noise in District, best of luck to the Leps and congrats to Smithville.

LH Panther Mom
10-17-2008, 11:55 PM
Good job Tigers!

FormerBellvilleBrahma
10-19-2008, 08:27 AM
OK what can I say? The Tigers just whupped the Leps up and down the field.
It was a Donkey Stomp.
Whipped like a rented mule.
Taken to the woodshed.
Beaten like a red headed step child.
Stomped a mud hole in our 50 yard line.
It was not as close as it seems.
I will try to think of some more pertinent remarks when I recover.

Congratulations to a terrific Smithville Tiger team that came into Lep Stadium and settled some scores big time.

It looks like an uphill battle now to gain a playoff spot.:weeping:

The leps could bounce back with 3 wins.