PDA

View Full Version : AP and Coaches Poll - UT #1 (merged)

Emerson1
10-12-2008, 12:11 PM
AP
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/polls/ap/

Coaches

1. Texas (6-0)
2. Alabama (6-0)
3. Penn State (7-0)
4. Southern California (4-1)
5. Texas Tech (6-0)
6. Oklahoma (5-1)
7. Florida (5-1)
8. Brigham Young (6-0)
9. Georgia (5-1)
10. Oklahoma State (6-0)
11. Ohio State (6-1)
12. Missouri (5-1)
13. Utah (7-0)
14. LSU (4-1)
15. Kansas (5-1)
16. Boise State (5-0)
17. Michigan State (6-1)
18. Virginia Tech (5-1)
19. Wake Forest (4-1)
20. South Florida (5-1)
21. North Carolina (5-1)
22. California (4-1)
23. Vanderbilt (5-1)
24. TCU (6-1)
25. Ball State (7-0)

it had to be posted...

Diocletian
10-12-2008, 12:18 PM
The only thing I don't like about it is USC. They should have to earn their way back into the top 10.

Oklahoma St should be higher I think also. Great games this weekend.

And look at TCU still in the top 25, they could get a BCS bid if they win out.

mchavez
10-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
The only thing I don't like about it is USC. They should have to earn their way back into the top 10.

I don't agree either, but it is the coache's poll. It's not like they're trying to get them up there for ratings like some polls. If that what you getting to...

WylieBulldog92
10-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Surprisingly I agree with the AP poll more than the coaches the top 4 is correct on that one.

sinton66
10-12-2008, 05:39 PM
We've reopened this thread, but be forewarned, any BS will be dealt with.

JR2004
10-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Honestly I'm surprised. I figured UT would be #2. I think I honestly would've preferred they be there instead of #1 heading into the 2nd game of this absolutely brutal four game stretch. :(

WylieBulldog92
10-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Honestly I'm surprised. I figured UT would be #2. I think I honestly would've preferred they be there instead of #1 heading into the 2nd game of this absolutely brutal four game stretch. :(
I think that might me why they're ranked #1 right now, if they happen to go through this stretch of these games without losing they won't have to beg to be #1 in the polls.

Phil C
10-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Anytime a Big 12 Team losses they sure drop a lot in the polls. Missouri lost to the No. 17 team and look how they drop. Inconsistency.

WylieBulldog92
10-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Anytime a Big 12 Team losses they sure drop a lot in the polls. Missouri lost to the No. 17 team and look how they drop. Inconsistency.
Exactly and God forbid if the USC Trojans not be in the Top 5 even after losing to Oregon State, I will laugh when they lose two games in a row to Stanford and Notre Dame and still be in the Top 10 :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JR2004
10-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

Missouri dropping like they did is a bit confounding to me. They should be above Ohio State in both polls and not just the AP. The Buckeyes have barely looked like they belong in the top 25 up to this point.

WylieBulldog92
10-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Missouri dropping like they did is a bit confounding to me. They should be above Ohio State in both polls and not just the AP. The Buckeyes have barely looked like they belong in the top 25 up to this point.
I agree PSU has by far proven to be the superior team in the Big 10, I think it will look the same as the game last night between Wisconsin and PSU.

carter08
10-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Ball State!

carter08
10-12-2008, 06:27 PM
and.

Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer.
Give 'em Hell, Alabama.

RTR.

rockdale80
10-12-2008, 06:31 PM
the USC rank is a joke. I know polls dont mean anything, but I do not understand that.

3afan
10-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
We've reopened this thread, but be forewarned, any BS will be dealt with.

good, that was the right move - thx

Emerson1
10-12-2008, 06:47 PM
That's the problem with human polls. The coaches see NONE of the games, the sports writers see maybe 2 or 3.

Do these people REALLY think Tech could beat Florida or Georgia or OU????

cshscougar08
10-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
That's the problem with human polls. The coaches see NONE of the games, the sports writers see maybe 2 or 3.

I agree totally with you Emerson. It's impossible to judge who is better by only seeing a couple teams. I do know this: Penn State is for real and probably is the team that is most likely to run the table out of the remaining BCS undefeated teams. Anyone up for a Penn State vs. BYU title game? Lol.

Here's something I thought about today. What if no BCS conference schools go undefeated, but BYU, Boise State, and Ball State all do. What to do there? Thoughts?

JR2004
10-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

After seeing Tech yesterday I'd be hard pressed to think they could. Then again Ole Miss pulled off a win against Florida and they aren't exactly world beaters. I'm willing to give Tech a mulligan though on the Nebraska game and see how things pan out over the next 2-3 weeks.

I think most teams will have at least 1 or 2 games a season where they lay an egg. Some will lose those games, but others find a way to win. At least Tech found a way to win a game they could've very easily lost.

Phil C
10-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
I agree totally with you Emerson. It's impossible to judge who is better by only seeing a couple teams. I do know this: Penn State is for real and probably is the team that is most likely to run the table out of the remaining BCS undefeated teams. Anyone up for a Penn State vs. BYU title game? Lol.

Here's something I thought about today. What if no BCS conference schools go undefeated, but BYU, Boise State, and Ball State all do. What to do there? Thoughts?

Exactly why we need a real playoff system like the other divisions in college football. The BCS is better than what was but now it is out of date. Today there are better facilities and good coaches at even the smaller schools and you don't have big schools with a lot of great players on the benches. The BCS would have been great in the last century until maybe the 90s but not now. There are too many good teams that deserve the chance to go and not just two.

Look at the past two years. The Big 12 and Pacific 10 beat each other out and you have a two loss NC and one that has been there the past two years and got whipped twice by simply ending their season and then letting teams that have conference championships beat each other out like the Big 12.

cshscougar08
10-12-2008, 07:01 PM
At least Tech found a way to win a game they could've very easily lost.

That "way" was Joe Ganz being a complete moron. Lol. Just take the sack man!!!

BOCEPHUS
10-12-2008, 07:22 PM
RAIDERS #5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT WON'T LAST TO HALLOWEEN!! BOO!

charlesrixey
10-12-2008, 07:44 PM
all i have to say is congrats to my longhorns

and don't back down now---that was an incredible display of fortitude, something a champion needs

keep it up--it's good to see UT back at #1

3afan
10-12-2008, 07:46 PM
yeah UT deserves #1 right now - but #1 hasnt been a good place so far in '08

sinton66
10-12-2008, 08:01 PM
I too think they deserve it, but kinda wish it hadn't happened. I don't like that #1 target.

JR2004
10-12-2008, 08:08 PM
I too think they deserve it, but kinda wish it hadn't happened. I don't like that #1 target.

I don't like it either. You can just imagine the atmosphere in Lubbock if UT goes in there #1 and Tech is still undefeated coming in as well.

bobcat1
10-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Is this a college thread?

sinton66
10-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Is this a college thread?

We're allowing this one.

ol country boy
10-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Hope the Longhorns can survive October.

Bull Butter
10-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Highest ranking since 1976. Congrats to Tech!

LH Panther Mom
10-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Highest ranking since 1976. Congrats to Tech!
It's cool and all, but I think they're a few spots high after the game yesterday.

bwdlionfan
10-12-2008, 09:35 PM
We're allowing this one.

Does the downlow usually not allow college threads?

JR2004
10-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
Does the downlow usually not allow college threads?

Used to, but certain folks couldn't control what they said so they stopped having them except for during games.

Necks_Fan
10-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks mods for re-opening this thread.

How about Ball State?

I watched one of their games, I thin their second one and they have one Wr/Rb that is REALLY talented. He was impressive. Can you say cinderella?

Anyway..... I'm very proud of the Horns after MANY people said they wouldn;t continue their streak... look at em go.

And wow on Tech... I thought think they should be a bit lower after Nebraska took em to OT. JMO though.

USC ranking is aload of bull, but what's new?

Congrats to Penn State. VERY IMPRESSIVE Win over a Good Wisconsin ball club. :clap: 48-6 I think?

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Eagle 1
10-12-2008, 09:57 PM
And wow on Tech... I thought think they should be a bit lower after Nebraska took em to OT. JMO though.

Using that logic, if ut barely beats tech, then should ut be dropped from being number 1?
That is if they are still number 1 then.

Diocletian
10-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
Using that logic, if ut barely beats tech, then should ut be dropped from being number 1?
That is if they are still number 1 then.

I think for the most part as long as UT wins out, they will stay at #1

They showed the world they could come to play when it mattered, now let's hope the Heisman talk doesn't sway the focus too much.

NastySlot
10-12-2008, 10:07 PM
why all the hate on usc.....have you people seen the talent they have....they lost one game and yes it was to a team they should have beaten......they are good................hey im an aggie class of 93 and this may shock a few....but i believe after watching the horns yesterday...they should be at number one...they won a game....ou played good and no one can say that they had an off day.....that was a good game by two very good teams.......back to the hate on usc....if they were to play the horns this weekend...do you think they would have chance to beat the horns...or in other words would you be worried about playing sc.

sinton66
10-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Tech's rise was an automatic. #'s 1,3, &4 dropped, 2 stayed in place, 5&6 moved up, and Tech didn't lose. If not for the media's love for USC, they might have been #4.

Necks_Fan
10-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
Using that logic, if ut barely beats tech, then should ut be dropped from being number 1? No, Tech is a solid team.... playing the Horns close would be no surprise.

But when you let a team like Nebraska stick around and take you to OT, well then that's a different ball game than playing a legit team like texas would versus Tech.

Necks_Fan
10-12-2008, 10:11 PM
Also, I think the Gators should be higher. They demolished LSU.

sinton66
10-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
why all the hate on usc.....have you people seen the talent they have....they lost one game and yes it was to a team they should have beaten......they are good................hey im an aggie class of 93 and this may shock a few....but i believe after watching the horns yesterday...they should be at number one...they won a game....ou played good and no one can say that they had an off day.....that was a good game by two very good teams.......back to the hate on usc....if they were to play the horns this weekend...do you think they would have chance to beat the horns...or in other words would you be worried about playing sc.

I don't think it's hate. They have lost a game everyone thought they should win, but they are ranked above several undefeated teams. I for one would take a Texas/USC game about the same as the Texas/OU game. I'd go in hoping for a win.

rockdale80
10-12-2008, 10:23 PM
I don't think it's hate. They have lost a game everyone thought they should win, but they are ranked above several undefeated teams. I for one would take a Texas/USC game about the same as the Texas/OU game. I'd go in hoping for a win.

Bingo. They lost to an unranked team. Sure they are good, but do they deserve to be ranked over other undefeated teams? I think not.

STANG RED
10-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Texas is a no brainer at #1, but I dont understand all the bad mouthing of Tech. Maybe Nebraska is getting better than some think, and maybe Tech took them way too lightly. But in the end they won a very hard fought game. We see all the best teams in the country have games like this every year, then most come back and just whip the tar out of someone next week. It's college football at it's best. They all have the same # of what was some of the best high school players in the nation on scholarship to play D1 football. Why is it surprising when a non ranked team plays a ranked team close? All those kids are winners or they wouldnt be playing D1 ball in the first place. Tech is capable of beating any team in the country on any given weekend, and so are many others that arent even in the top 25. You need only look at the past 3 weeks for that point to be crystal clear.

RMAC
10-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Texas is a no brainer at #1, but I dont understand all the bad mouthing of Tech. Maybe Nebraska is getting better than some think, and maybe Tech took them way too lightly. But in the end they won a very hard fought game. We see all the best teams in the country have games like this every year, then most come back and just whip the tar out of someone next week. It's college football at it's best. They all have the same # of what was some of the best high school players in the nation on scholarship to play D1 football. Why is it surprising when a non ranked team plays a ranked team close? All those kids are winners or they wouldnt be playing D1 ball in the first place. Tech is capable of beating any team in the country on any given weekend, and so are many others that arent even in the top 25. You need only look at the past 3 weeks for that point to be crystal clear.

Excellent point. Having said that, I still don't think we should be ranked what we are. Do we have the ability to be Top 10? Yes, I really think we have the players to do that. Have we played like a Top 10? Once, last week, but that's been it so far. I'm so far passed excited for 2 weeks from now. I'm hoping we don't lose next weekend so we can maybe get Gameday out to the South Plains for a possible, crossing my fingers and hoping to die, 8 PM kickoff on Saturday night. The atmosphere will be just like the Tech/OU game last year.

JR2004
10-12-2008, 11:23 PM

USC is a very, very good team. For whatever reason, the trip up to Corvallis in 2006 as well as this year has been a house of horrors for them. Talent-wise they are equal to any team in any conference in the country. Actually I'd say they have more talent than any team in the country right now, but that loss to an average Oregon State team is what stands out to most folks right now.

ESPN didn't do USC any favors with college football fans with that USC vs. the Greatest teams in history back in 2005. I think that whole month of non-stop USC is another reason you're going to see so much hate sent their direction. I have several friends from SoCal who are big USC fans and I enjoy watching them play and do well when it's not UT they're playing against.

Oh and yes I would be worried about lining up against them because when they put it all together and are firing on all cylinders they're an extremely tough team to beat.

JasperDog94
10-13-2008, 12:16 AM
That settles it then. Let's kick Baylor off the schedule and put USC in their place.;)

WTF-82
10-13-2008, 12:20 AM
I am a fan of Tech out of all the Big 12 teams but there is no way they are top 5 team maybe top 20. Way overated.

Electus Unus
10-13-2008, 02:39 AM
Here are just a few random thoughts I have. Many consider the Texas and Oklahoma game one of the top 5 victories in Mack Brown's career at Texas. The North Carolina victory over Notre Dame was very exciting to watch and I thought the receiver was trying to lateral the ball. Texas Tech is one of the least impressive teams inside the top 10 and will be exposed once they play a good team.

LH Panther Mom
10-13-2008, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I wasn't bad mouthing. Heck, they're "my" team. I hope I'm wrong here, but historically, it seems when Tech cracks the top 10 and begins to move up something dreadful happens. I certainly hope they can keep it up!

3afan
10-13-2008, 08:03 AM
CFN's Top 10

1. Texas (6-0)
W, Oklahoma 45-35
next game: Missouri
The Ranking Should Be Lower Because ... uuhhhh, the defense? Fine, so that's sort of nitpicking after the Longhorns picked apart the nation's No. 1 team. Oklahoma bombed away, but Texas always had an answer. The top spot is good for now, and it could be solidified with a win over Mizzou.

2. Penn State (7-0)
W, at Wisconsin 48-7
next game: Michigan
The Ranking Should Be Higher Because … there's nothing else the team can do to look impressive. It has dominated everyone in the way, and a blowout win at Wisconsin just cements how good this team is. There was speed, power, and a whole bunch of "wow" moments.
The Ranking Should Be Lower Because .. to nitpick, Wisconsin didn't exactly look like Wisconsin. That was a bit of a lifeless team the Nittany Lions just blasted. Whatever ... if you want to put Penn State No. 1, there's no beef here.

3. Alabama (6-0)
Didn't Play This Week
next game: Ole Miss
The Ranking Should Be Higher Because … it had a week off and it got knocked down from two to three?! This might be the No. 1 team in America after the first half it came up with at Georgia.
The Ranking Should Be Lower Because ... it's not like Georgia is crushing and killing everything in its path. It struggled to put away Tennessee and it hasn't played like the top team many thought it would be. The Tide will get a few big chances to strut its stuff over the next several weeks.

4. Oklahoma (5-1)
L, Texas 45-35
next game: Kansas
The Ranking Should Be Higher Because …an argument could be made that this is the nation's No. 2 team. The offense was breathtaking at times against Texas.
The Ranking Should Be Lower Because .. oh yeah, the defense. The special teams weren't exactly a prize, but the defense was the biggest issue, especially in the secondary. Things could only get worse with star LB Ryan Reynolds out for the year with a knee injury.

5. Florida (5-1)
W, LSU 51-21
next game: Kentucky (Oct. 25)
The Ranking Should Be Higher Because … that's a really, really good LSU team the Gators ripped through. The offense showed what it could do when all the parts are working. Mr. Tebow is starting to look like Mr. Tebow again.
The Ranking Should Be Lower Because .. sorry, but the Ole Miss gaffe can't be dismissed that easily. Maintaining focus throughout the season is a key to being a true national title contender.

6. Oklahoma State (6-0)
W, at Missouri 28-23
next game: Baylor
The Ranking Should Be Higher Because … Missouri had everything on the line and Oklahoma State was the cooler, calmer team. All of a sudden, for the first time all year long, the defense showed a pass rush to go along with the special offense. The Cowboys played like a team that didn't seem to care about the pressure, but ...
The Ranking Should Be Lower Because .. ... that will quickly change. OSU will no longer be the South's little secret anymore. The national spotlight will be on and the Cowboys will be the hunted. Yeah, that was a great win over Missouri, but the Tigers did their best to screw things up.

7. LSU (4-1)
L, at Florida 51-21
next game: at South Carolina
The Ranking Should Be Higher Because … Florida really might be the nation's best team. The Tigers ran into a Gator buzzsaw with everything working to near-perfection. That's not to say it wouldn't be a far different story if this was played in Death Valley ... or in the SEC title game.
The Ranking Should Be Lower Because ... all of a sudden, the quarterback situation appears to be a bit of an issue. It's not like Jarrett Lee and Andrew Hatch were awful, but they weren't playmakers. The supposedly strong LSU defensive front gave up 265 rushing yards. Does Ricky Jean-Francois really mean that much to the front four?

8. Georgia (5-1)
W, Tennessee 26-14
next game: Vanderbilt
The Ranking Should Be Higher Because … Matt Stafford appears to be ready to become the No. 1 pick in the draft. The Georgia passing game stepped up its play another level in the win over Tennessee, and the run defense was awesome.
The Ranking Should Be Lower Because ... it took way, way too long to put the Vols away. The Bulldogs dominated, but the offense generated too many field goals when it should've been providing a knockout punch.

9. USC (4-1)
W, Arizona State 28-0
next game: at Washington State
The Ranking Should Be Higher Because … beating Arizona State 28-0 is impressive. No matter how it happened, a big blowout win is a big blowout win. Survive and move on. However ...
The Ranking Should Be Lower Because ... ... the Trojans weren't exactly crisp. Turnovers, penalties, and too many misfires marred an otherwise fun game for USC. The team will have to overcome the almost-certain upcoming malaise with a lame Pac 10 schedule kicking in over he next few weeks.

10. Missouri (5-1)
L. Oklahoma State 28-23
next game: at Texas
The Ranking Should Be Higher Because … the Oklahoma State game could be played ten times and Chase Daniel wouldn't have brain cramped as much as he did. Not to take anything away from the Cowboys, but Mizzou screwed up. A missed catch for an interception, special teams breakdowns, and no running game in the second half; this was a strange game for the Tigers, but it can quickly get back in the title hunt with a win at Texas.
The Ranking Should Be Lower Because .. with everything on the line, including the No. 1 ranking and a lead spot in the Heisman race, Mizzou got very, very tight. It's hard to beat a team as good as Oklahoma State with both

15. Texas Tech (6-0)
W, Nebraska 37-31 OT
next game: at Texas A&M
The Ranking Should Be Higher Because … the team showed against Nebraska that it can answer a challenge. The offense was fine, but it wasn't humming and the defense still found a way to come up with the final stop needed.
The Ranking Should Be Lower Because ... Nebraska stinks. Chalk it up to a bit of a hiccup, but compared to the Big 12 juggernauts, Texas Tech blinked. An argument could be made that beating Nebraska in overtime is worse, at least as far the degree of difficulty, than losing to Oklahoma State at home, like Missouri did.

Eagle 1
10-13-2008, 08:22 AM
I dont think anybody is giving Nebraska any credit.
They executed thier game plan perfectly and that was to keep Tech's high powered offense off the field by using a ball control offense and running the ball. Three yards and a cloud of dust was all they were looking for, but more importantly time of possession. Tech has proven time and time again that they have the ability to score quickly at anytime of the game. Obviously the way you stop that is by keeping the offense off the field and using the clock. It worked perfectly for Nebraska as they are a traditional strong run team. However, with Techs come back victory they proved they can find a way to win a game when the going gets tough.
I admit Techs defense has been their weak link, but they are playing better this year. Their safety Daniel Charbonnet, has four interceptions on a Tech defense that leads the nation in the same category with 10 total.
I certainly hope both Tech and ut are undefeated when the horns come to Lubbock. :clap:

eagles_victory
10-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Im tired of hearing how is Oklahoma ahead of a 1 loss Florida team who just beat LSU. OKlahomas loss is a netural site loss to the current number 1 team in the country and Floridas loss was at home to Ole Miss who is 3-3. Another thing is everyone talks about comparing the Sec and Big 12 in toughness look at Alabamas schedule the rest of the way and look at Texas's or Tech's and tell me who is the tougher conference.

3afan
10-13-2008, 11:32 AM
is Ball St. out of the MAC really the 25th best team in the country?

don't think so ....

GUNHO
10-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Is Texas good enough to win out? I say they are.But their track record says no.They seem to always find a way to lose one and this year there are a few more good teams in front of them.

RattlerDude
10-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian

I agree with you dude. I don't understand how USC moves up so much after beating weak opponents. And in college ranks do matter seeing how they don't have a playoff. Unfair. Oh well I guess. I think Penn State and Texas will be in the National Championship. I don't see an SEC team going undefeated so that would take Bama out. they still have to play LSU and then they would have a tough SEC championship team. Texas still has tough opponents in Tech (I think) and a very good Missouri but I think they should take the Big 12 Championship. Penn State should walk through the Big 10.

cshscougar08
10-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by GUNHO
Is Texas good enough to win out? I say they are.But their track record says no.They seem to always find a way to lose one and this year there are a few more good teams in front of them.

I also say that Texas is good enough to win out, but I don't think they will for this reason: this gauntlet that they are running right now that started on Saturday. They played the #1 team, and now play the #11, #8, and #7 all in a row. I don't think they can physically put it all out there each week for four straight weeks like that. That's the only reason in my opinion. They definitely have the talent, but I just don't think physically it's possible for them to put it all out there to win all those games. If they do, then they are BY FAR the #1 team in the country.

NastySlot
10-13-2008, 12:48 PM
texas winning out? idk....that is a brutal schedule......all those that knock the sec......texas is about face a stretch of the schedule simular to that those sec teams face.............most knock the sec...but don't understand the level of play......each week is like a rivarly game....go watch a few live in those stadiums.....close to the same atmosphere as a texas/ou game...except the crowd isn't split even......we are talking rivarlies that go along way back......take the passion we have for high school football and double it and that is the passion those people have for those teams and games......remember those states only have one or two institutions and those teams get the entire states support or at least half.......................i'd like to see texas win out (remember this is coming from an aggie) but what if they do.....could there be a let down or a trap game?......good lluck to the horns get through this stretch and without a doubt they should be in the bcs title game...................but remember after the brutal schedule....they would still have to get out of the conference championship game.

GUNHO
10-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
I also say that Texas is good enough to win out, but I don't think they will for this reason: this gauntlet that they are running right now that started on Saturday. They played the #1 team, and now play the #11, #8, and #7 all in a row. I don't think they can physically put it all out there each week for four straight weeks like that. That's the only reason in my opinion. They definitely have the talent, but I just don't think physically it's possible for them to put it all out there to win all those games. If they do, then they are BY FAR the #1 team in the country.

Exactly.I will be pulling for them though.

Necks_Fan
10-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
is Ball St. out of the MAC really the 25th best team in the country?

don't think so .... Maybe not, but they can score. I know that.

They probably aern't the 25th best team in the country....BUT the are undefeated and deserve some credit.

nobody thought Boise St would hang with OU a few yrs ago, and look how that turned out. Give em a bit of credit.

WylieBulldog92
10-13-2008, 03:12 PM
So what would you way about the Oregon State game to that question?

bandera7
10-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Im an A&M fan, this is the way I see things playing out...
The Longhorn fans should be the most nervous about Missouri this week. Before, they had no true team leader. They were prone to completely shut down, call the season a failure. They didnt accomplish exactly what they wanted, so what were they playing for except stats to increase chances in the NFL....
NOW, they have a true team leader in Chase Daniels. From all accounts I have heard, he really knows how to lead HIS team. If what they say is true, Missouri will be a more upset, more intense team than they ever have been, which will be scary to see. Not saying the Longhorns wont play hard to keep the #1 spot, but alot of times after a huge and impressive win like they had over OU, there is a bit of a letdown. This week will be dangerous for the Longhorns and will no doubt be a heck of a game to watch.

3afan
10-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
... They were prone to completely shut down, call the season a failure. They didnt accomplish exactly what they wanted, so what were they playing for except stats to increase chances in the NFL....

what? Mizzou was unbeaten until Saturday!

if you are speaking of past seasons - none of that can be applied to this season so forget about it. yes UM will be pee'd off, but everyone gets fired up to come and play the big boys, especially when they're #1

yep, WILL be a great game to watch, especially in HD

bandera7
10-13-2008, 03:44 PM
yes Im referring to past seasons, because recently I heard from a friend of mine, a UT supporter, that they were thinking Missouri would just shut down like they always did...I was making the point that I dont think Daniels will allow it.

NastySlot
10-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
So what would you way about the Oregon State game to that question?

what would i say about the horns playing oregan state......i would worry.....if they beat a talented usc team they are capable of beating anyone.....but they are too inconsistant.....as easy as they could beat the horns they could lose by two td's.......................as far as texas this weekend w/missouri......i think texas wins it.........now if they were playing k-state maybe even nebraska...i would go with the underdog........you can't look past a missouri as easy as you could a k-state or nebraska.

sinfan75
10-13-2008, 08:58 PM
This could be their hangover game this week-end. Scary game for the Horns. I know some people were commenting about their weak non-conference schedule but geez when look at the teams they gotta play inthe next few weeks that was probably a blessing in disguise. Hopefully the Okie games behind em and they concentrating on Mizzou.

bandera7
10-13-2008, 09:20 PM
I agree that for horns fans, hopefully the team can forget about last weeks game as fast as possible. They have a P.O.'d missouri ready to upset, and if they dont give it 100% if their focus its going to be a horrible weekend for Longhorn fans

Electus Unus
10-14-2008, 02:13 AM
I am sure Will Muschamp and Mack Brown have already made them forget about last week Monday during practice. The next three weeks will be crucial for the Longhorns and their attempt to win the Big 12 and attempt to play in a MNC. I think they can do it because the young secondary is growing up so fast and the offense finally has a definitive running back in Chris "O-bunny-ya."

NastySlot
10-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
I am sure Will Muschamp and Mack Brown have already made them forget about last week Monday during practice. The next three weeks will be crucial for the Longhorns and their attempt to win the Big 12 and attempt to play in a MNC. I think they can do it because the young secondary is growing up so fast and the offense finally has a definitive running back in Chris "O-bunny-ya."

that young secondary....is still the weak link(but it is doing well)....it's the d-line that is making horns defense go.

bigYoe
10-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Texas is at the spot they deserve to be in. McCoy has matured so much from last year to this year and look at his numbers, they're incredible. 21TD's with only 3int's, plus completing 80% of his passes. They are playing as a TEAM and no one is focusing on being the allstar. They all have a goal and that is to be #1 at the END of the season and Mack is gonna make sure that happens. Even though they let UO score 35 points the D stepped up when they needed to and that yound secondary looked freakin awesome. Especially Gideon at Free safety, man what a workhorse. True Freshman playing like an experienced Vet. Im excited as hell for the Horns this year and im proud to call them my team. What left me in AWW is when i heard that every player showed up the practice on their day off. This team reminds me of the 2005 team but with more heart and compassion and more "Wanting it". As of USC NO NO NO NO NO they shouldnt even be in the top 10 but of course they're freaking USC so the coaches are gonna be all over their D****. USC hasnt played ANYBODY and no if Texas played Oregon State Texas would walk all over them even IN OREGON. Texas is my team and i believe they will be the team on top in the END GO UT.

swstangs001
10-14-2008, 11:56 AM
that young secondary....is still the weak link(but it is doing well)....it's the d-line that is making horns defense go.

how about texas' safetys...Gideon is a freshman and thomas is a RS freshmen, i think theyre doing pretty good for starting so soon

NastySlot
10-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by swstangs001
how about texas' safetys...Gideon is a freshman and thomas is a RS freshmen, i think theyre doing pretty good for starting so soon

not a knock...meant if you had to find a weak link...i think it would be the secondary...............the d-line has got to be doing one of the best jobs in the nation right now............see my thinking always is teams are only as good as there lines.............offensive and defensive and right now that d-line is very good.

swstangs001
10-14-2008, 01:57 PM
not a knock...meant if you had to find a weak link...i think it would be the secondary...............the d-line has got to be doing one of the best jobs in the nation right now............see my thinking always is teams are only as good as there lines.............offensive and defensive and right now that d-line is very good.

This is true, but then again they had a good Dline last year and the secondary blew it for them