PDA

View Full Version : The 1968 Movie Targets was on TCM yesterday!

Phil C
10-12-2008, 11:52 AM
I am sure they will show it again and I will post when it is. It is a great movie that was not appreciated when it first came out but since it is one of those cult movies that has a fan base. I hadn't seen it since it first came out. It is loosely based on the Charles Whitman Incident in which he shot and killed 14 people and wounded 31 others from atop of the University of Texas Tower in 1966. It is about a killer that does the same thing in different setting. It came out at the time after Mr. Martin Luther King and Senator Robert Kennedy were killed and this decreased its' popularity at the time. It is a violent movie for its' time and a great psychological movie in the minds of the killer. A plot that also happens at the same time is that an aging horror movie film actor (played by Boris Karloff as Bryon Orlok) is about to make his final appearance at a drive-in theatre before he retires.
The featured retirement movie is The Terror with Boris Karloff and Jack Nicholson who are showin in film clips of the movie.
There are basically two plots that conclude when they face each other.
It is a great movie and unusual for its time.
Peter Bodanovich (who later directed hit movies like Paper Moon and The Last Picture Show) directed this movie and also stars as Sammy Michael the director.
Also a young Mike Ferrell (who later became famous as B.J. in the hit tv series MASH) stars as a man in the phone booth.

Don't miss this when we are given a second chance. I am glad I caught it yesterday.