PDA

View Full Version : The Rebel Flag

Keith7
10-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Personally I find it offensive, it would be like waving a nazi flag in germany and calling it heritage

Txbroadcaster
10-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Personally I find it offensive, it would be like waving a nazi flag in germany and calling it heritage

to an extent I agree

BUT should someone else not be given the right to do something simply because it offends you?

That would then mean YOUR rights supercede that person's rights

sinton66
10-11-2008, 03:05 PM

Do you seriously think that doesn't happen anymore? Germany's not the only place, it's done HERE too.

Necks_Fan
10-11-2008, 03:40 PM
A bunch of hicks at my school have rebel flags on their trucks.

I don't really care. They can fly it if they want... doesn't bother me.

I'm more annoyed by the AA that think yelling at white kids about what happened to slaves 200 yrs ago will accomplish something.

rockdale80
10-11-2008, 04:16 PM

Wonder why it is called a rebel flag and not a racism flag? The civil war was about more than race if I remember correctly. Hmm:thinking:

tex_male
10-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
A bunch of hicks at my school have rebel flags on their trucks.

I don't really care. They can fly it if they want... doesn't bother me.

I'm more annoyed by the AA that think yelling at white kids about what happened to slaves 200 yrs ago will accomplish something.

200 yrs. ago? Take a history class!

I do understand what you are saying.

Keith7
10-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Wonder why it is called a rebel flag and not a racism flag? The civil war was about more than race if I remember correctly. Hmm:thinking:

A flag is a flag because what it represents.. The flag represents the support for slavery, and the degradation of the african american race.. Anybody who says the civil war wasn't about slavery is blind, and afraid to admit that their great great great great grandfather was a racist and a biggit

Txbroadcaster
10-11-2008, 04:57 PM
A flag is a flag because what it represents.. The flag represents the support for slavery, and the degradation of the african american race.. Anybody who says the civil war wasn't about slavery is blind, and afraid to admit that their great great great great grandfather was a racist and a biggit

yes it was about slavery..BUT in no way was the war in itself only about slavery

Lincoln once said
"If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that...

This was a war mostly about federal control over state's right to self rule...Slavery happen to be the hot button issue, but it could have been about 1000 other things is they had caused problems between the belief of a central government over the belief that a state should set forth their own rules and regulations

rockdale80
10-11-2008, 05:16 PM

So you are saying history is a farce and that the war was only about race? Give me a break Keith. I didnt say it had nothing to do with race, but that was not the only reason. I know you are intelligent enough to know that. My great great grandfather didnt own slaves and I say that the civil war was not only about racism.

Diocletian
10-11-2008, 06:34 PM
The flag symbolizes racism far more that any historic meaning.

It's like this: having a flag of the orginal 13 colonies flying high above your business, instead of the current flag that represents all of America today.

Young people will always use the rebel flag as a tool when showing their attitude towards racial issues.

rockdale80
10-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
The flag symbolizes racism far more that any historic meaning.

It's like this: having a flag of the orginal 13 colonies flying high above your business, instead of the current flag that represents all of America today.

Young people will always use the rebel flag as a tool when showing their attitude towards racial issues.

And that is your opinion, unfortunately it does not reflect the attitude of everyone that flies the flag.

navscanmaster
10-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
And that is your opinion, unfortunately it does not reflect the attitude of everyone that flies the flag.

Correct. Go back seven generations and my great X 5 grand uncle was General Lee himself. I am proud of my family heritage. Nobody in my family owned slaves, but even if they did, what does that have to do with me now, 143 years later? I didn't get raised a bigot or by bigots, yet I appreciate the history behind the flag. It is southern heritage, no matter what some think.

JasperDog94
10-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
yes it was about slavery..BUT in no way was the war in itself only about slavery

Lincoln once said
"If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that...

This was a war mostly about federal control over state's right to self rule...Slavery happen to be the hot button issue, but it could have been about 1000 other things is they had caused problems between the belief of a central government over the belief that a state should set forth their own rules and regulations Now don't start confusing Keith with the facts.;)

Phil C
10-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Slavery was wrong but the flag is a part of our history. Maybe you would feel better if you call it the Flag of the Confederacy.

The Civil War to me was foolish because I think that slavery would have probably been abolished by the South of it's own accord by the 1870s not that it was right. Look at how England and France had already abolished it.

kaorder1999
10-12-2008, 03:46 PM
there is a difference between the rebel flag and the confederate battle flag....many dont know the difference...

WylieBulldog92
10-12-2008, 06:17 PM
The war started because of the Tariff of Abominations get it right.

espn1
10-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Educate Yourself! (http://www.usflag.org/history/confederatestarsandbars.html)

kaorder1999
10-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
there is a difference between the rebel flag and the confederate battle flag....many dont know the difference...

i meant there is a difference between the confederate flag (rebel) and the battle flag of the confederacy (more well known flag)

Diocletian
10-12-2008, 09:07 PM
The rebel flag will always be associated with somthing worse than a few states wanting to represent their historic ancestors.

It is widely used to exploit that very truth of what it DOES mean to people. It is exploited to offend minorities. It is exploited because of people who take free speech too far, just to prove a point. Some idiot thinking he is doing the right thing about flying it at him home...but most minorities will drive by that home and be offended.

Some people need to understand they would be doing the world more credit by representing their historic backgrounds with another symbol from past.

The flag will always have 2 meanings. And the idiot who says he can fly it if he wants is just exploiting history to offend someone....when there is nothing the offended person can do about it, making it the ultimate crack at someone.

Anyone with a brain flying it, would gladly take it down upon the first comment made by someone that it offends them.

Necks_Fan
10-12-2008, 10:04 PM
If it offends you, don't look at it.

it offends me when I see homosexuals in public.... do I say anything? Nope, just turn my head and walk the other direction.

People are gonna do what they want to do. That simple. You can be offended all you want. See how far that gets you.

JasperDog94
10-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian

Anyone with a brain flying it, would gladly take it down upon the first comment made by someone that it offends them. Using this logic we would never fly any flag because it will offend someone.

SWMustang
10-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Using this logic we would never fly any flag because it will offend someone.

Sadly, at times I think that's where we're moving. :(

Keith7
10-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
If it offends you, don't look at it.

it offends me when I see homosexuals in public.... do I say anything? Nope, just turn my head and walk the other direction.

People are gonna do what they want to do. That simple. You can be offended all you want. See how far that gets you.

NM

Phil C
10-13-2008, 08:48 AM
There are still Nazi flags around. They should be shown sometimes to remind us of what must be avoided in the future. To completely destroy them all would be burrying your heads in the sand and inviting history to repeat itself.

It is the same with the Confederate flag. If it offends you let it be a reminder that such things you feel it represents must happen again. It can remind of of a life that is now GONE WITH THE WIND.

Ranger Mom
10-13-2008, 09:34 AM
I dug this up from a thread from over two years ago.

I thought he summed it up pretty well:

Originally posted by Bullaholic

To me, displaying a rebel flag doesn't make you a "racist" any more than carrying a Bible makes you a Christian.

piratebg
10-13-2008, 07:38 PM
To me the Rebel Flag signifies disunity. It is a remnant of one this country's darkest times and I refuse to see it any other way.

sinton66
10-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Our own Texas flag also flew during that "dark time". Ironic that one states' flag now "deserves" honor while another "deserves" scorn. Obviously, the American people forgave Texas and her flag.

Could it possibly have anything to do with the fact that the Texas flag represents a decisive VICTORY over Mexico and the other one represents no victory at all? Are people simply kicking it when it's down because it lost? I wonder, would they be thinking the same way about Old Glory if the North had lost? :thinking:

cameron91
10-13-2008, 09:31 PM
as a black man , the Rebel Flag doesn't bother me one bit.it's part of american history.what bothers me is why is it illegal to have ziz-zags in your possesion , but it's not illegal for the store to sell them to you :mad:

rockdale80
10-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by cameron91
as a black man , the Rebal Flag doesn't bother me one bit.it's part of american history.what bothers me is why is it illegal to have ziz-zags in your possesion , but it's not illegal for the store to sell them to you :mad:

It is like anything else. You make it what you want to. Anything can be twisted to mean something it doesnt.

BwdLion73
10-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by cameron91
as a black man , the Rebel Flag doesn't bother me one bit.it's part of american history.what bothers me is why is it illegal to have ziz-zags in your possesion , but it's not illegal for the store to sell them to you :mad:

Dude...It's not Illegal to have Zig Zags in your possession...now if you have a little something..something along with them you might get an additional charge of parf. possesion.

sinton66
10-13-2008, 10:42 PM
He knew, he was just setting up a stupid comment. (Removed from thread)

big daddy russ
10-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
The war started because of the Tariff of Abominations get it right.
Good call.

There's no simple answer to the reason the Civil War started, but the reason the North won was because Lincoln issued a major PR coup by issuing the Emancipation Proclamation. Over a year after the war started.

Until then, the North was getting slapped around because they had lost their passion (and a reason) to fight.

If you Google "Tariff of Abominations" and "Henry Clay," you'll get a good overview of many of the reasons the war started. The North and the South just had vastly different values, economies, cultures, etc, etc, etc. The North used its muscle in the House to push their policies onto the South, and the South used their economy as an excuse to continue practicing slavery. There were so many wrongs by both sides leading up to the war, it's a miracle that Lincoln was able to make something good out of that mess.

Lincoln actually wanted slavery to die out naturally so that racial tensions wouldn't be as high. Slavery was already on a rapid downward trend, but the South had so much angst toward the North that the Southern states shut down when it came to compromises offered by the North (Henry Clay's death in 1852 was a major reason for the breakdown in communication... see the modern-day Republicans and Dems and their communication issues, then multiply that by a hundred for an idea of what political life in the 1850's was like). The South had all but shut out the North when it came to the issues, whether it was taxes (which was the most important factor leading up to the war, but not the only factor) or slavery. If Henry Clay had lived through Lincoln's term in office, we may have been able to stave off war long enough to allow the North's economy to recover to the levels that Great Britain and/or Prussia (modern day Germany) were experiencing after those two nations industrialized and sucked the money (and the South's natural resources) away from the North.

Lincoln also wanted to integrate the South back into the Union as quickly and seamlessly as possible after the war, but Booth was an idiot and thought he was being an ally to the Confederacy by assassinating Lincoln. In reality, he was the reason Radical Reconstruction happened. Andrew Johnson wanted to implement all of Lincoln's policies concerning the Confederacy's admission back into the Union, he just didn't have the leadership skills or political clout to get it through all the Radical Republicans (which, by the way, was Lincoln's party) in Congress. Johnson, who was a freshly-converted Republican, never gained the trust or the votes of Congress to fully re-integrate the South.

The Republicans went on to tear down the former Confederate States of America (Google "Edmund Davis" for a history of what happened to Texas), the South turned into the "Solid South" for well over a century, harboring resentment towards the North and the Republicans all that time, and racial tensions still remain high in some parts of the South to this day.

espn1
10-14-2008, 07:40 AM
I'm 100% Dixie! Good! If you don't like it move across the Mason Dixon!

O, I wish I was in the land of cotton
Old times there are not forgotten
Look away! Look away!
Look away! Dixie Land.

In Dixie Land where I was born in
Early on one frosty mornin'
Look away! Look away!
Look away! Dixie Land.

O, I wish I was in Dixie!
Hooray! Hooray!
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand
To live and die in Dixie