PDA

View Full Version : Navasota 28, Caldwell 27 Final

navscanmaster
10-10-2008, 10:59 PM
I want to start by saying thank you Caldwell for giving us all we could handle! It was a game for the ages, and both teams left it all on the field. I don't know where the unsportsmanlike conduct penalties came from in the game, but both teams showed a lot of great sportsmanship and fire on both sides of the ball. Caldwell outgained Navasota by almost 100 yards, but Navasota's defense held Caldwell to only six points in the second half, and right at about 100 yards (unofficial). The fans on both sides were great! Go Rattlers!

Necks_Fan
10-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
I want to start by saying thank you Caldwell for giving us all we could handle! It was a game for the ages, and both teams left it all on the field. I don't know where the unsportsmanlike conduct penalties came from in the game, but both teams showed a lot of great sportsmanship and fire on both sides of the ball. Caldwell outgained Navasota by almost 100 yards, but Navasota's defense held Caldwell to only six points in the second half, and right at about 100 yards (unofficial). The fans on both sides were great! Go Rattlers! Dang. Sounds like a great game, and that means Caldwell is the REAL DEAL.

OldBison75
10-10-2008, 11:23 PM
As a Rattler fan I can tell you Caldwell is for real. They have a superb offense and a good, quick defense. They will go far in the playoffs. They are well coached and play with super intensity. Don't anyone underestimate them--they are good.

navscanmaster
10-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Dang. Sounds like a great game, and that means Caldwell is the REAL DEAL.
They are, buddy, they are. Their defense really stepped up for this game. Navasota converted a long third with a 25 yard pass to BJ, but he fumbled after getting stood up trying to get more yardage. Caldwell moved downfield and scored a TD on a pass. Navasota goes 3 and out, and Caldwell moves downfield and scored again on a run. Navasota got on the board with a TD run by Pratt (12-80 Yds.) to make it 14-7 Caldwell. Caldwell has an apparent TD return on the kickoff called back on a hold, however I and the entire sideline saw the returner step a foot in the middle of the white boundary at his own 17. Caldwell drives downfield and scores on another TD pass (excellent catch/fight for the ball by the receiver). Navasota moves downfield and scores again with less than 1 minute remaining on a short TD run by Pratt. Halftime. Caldwell gets the ball to start the 4th, and is stopped on downs. Navasota drives down to the redzone and is stopped on downs. Caldwell drives a little and is intercepted at the goal line, returned by Hildreth to the 50. Navasota scores running Stokes on keeper after keeper, and Barron's PAT attempt is wide right. 21-20 Caldwell. Caldwell gets a first, then a fumble goes to the Rattlers. Navasota drives down the field and scores (Stokes). The two point option pitch to Pratt is good, 28-21 Navasota. Caldwell is stopped again, and Navasota scores on the first play (Pratt), only to have a block in the back called behind the play. 1st down, but the Hornet defense stands up and forces a Rattler punt. Caldwell drives down the field, aided by a personal foul late hit by a Rattler who was obviously not paying any attention (it was REALLY late!). Caldwell scores on a tipped pass, in which the Caldwell defender made the catch falling backward. They go for two, and after forcing the Lister out to the sideline, Deondre King tackles him for a loss. END OF GAME, WOW!

greenpride
10-10-2008, 11:27 PM
Refs were terrible..........early whistles, late whistles, bad calls, no calls.......If I were from Caldwell, I would feel as if we had won the game but it was taken away from us by the zebras. If I was from Navasota, I would feel damn lucky to have won.......why didn't you give the ball to Pratt in the second half??????? I live in Bryan and wanted to see a good ball game, and boy did I. Both teams have to be proud. A few of the Navasota boys need to keep their emotions in check, and keep their mouths closed. You have a good team, the fans and other players don't need to hear it from you also.

Good Luck to both teams.

t-bird
10-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Dang. Sounds like a great game, and that means Caldwell is the REAL DEAL.

As is Navasota.

Necks_Fan
10-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by t-bird
As is Navasota. I have stated my thoughts on Navasota already. I didn;t even expect Caldwell to hang. Both are really good ball clubs.

t-bird
10-10-2008, 11:36 PM
"Speak softly, but carry a big stick"

navscanmaster
10-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by greenpride
Refs were terrible..........early whistles, late whistles, bad calls, no calls.......If I were from Caldwell, I would feel as if we had won the game but it was taken away from us by the zebras. If I was from Navasota, I would feel damn lucky to have won.......why didn't you give the ball to Pratt in the second half??????? I live in Bryan and wanted to see a good ball game, and boy did I. Both teams have to be proud. A few of the Navasota boys need to keep their emotions in check, and keep their mouths closed. You have a good team, the fans and other players don't need to hear it from you also.

Good Luck to both teams.

That is just the thing, I was actually looking in the direction of both players that had penalties called on them, and I didn't see any emotion other than getting up and walking away, once sad, once happy. If they said something, we will never know. I have plenty of gripes about the refs, and we had plenty of penalties go against us, and a TD return by Caldwell (called back on hold) that we all saw the player step out of bounds at the 17. That would have been big. Luck always rears its face to a team at some point, but neither team had luck tonight. I think it was just good, hard nosed football. The great gains on 1st down helped Caldwell, and the inconsistent defensive alignments/schemes by Caldwell helped Navasota out. One thing you got right, it was a GREAT GAME!

HEMOTOXIC
10-11-2008, 12:11 AM
Great game Rattlers and Hornets. Caldwell, you were exceptional and gave the Rattlers a tough game as usual. As far as the refs, the were horrible, PERIOD! Bad calls on both Navasota and Caldwell. Let the kids play the game. They don't need help from you guys!

striker
10-11-2008, 12:13 AM
One heck of a game from both teams. Congrats to the Rattlers and good luck to the Hornets on the rest of their season and playoffs.

navscanmaster
10-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Well, at least I get to go to Oklahoma for two weeks on a happy note! I will be tuned into www.navasotanews.com from the hotel the next two Fridays to follow my Rattlers against Rockdale and Taylor. Good game again, Hornets, and good luck to you. You are not the #2 team in district, you are the #1B. Maybe district 24 can make a big run at state in both divisions!

ProudHornetMom
10-11-2008, 12:42 AM
I posted up on the poll thread. :D I'm exhausted. I'm too old for this much excitement. It was an amazing game right up to the last second. I thought both teams played with intensity and there were bad calls both ways all night long...but the refs aren't why we lost the game. Both teams showcased their talent and what they're know for.

Thanks Navasota friends for the kind words and support. Class action all the way around. :clap:

Congratulations Rattlers on a great win. I wish you well the rest of the season and you'll represent Dist 24 well in the playoffs. Hornets keep your head up and get ready for the next game. Nothing to be ashamed of and much to be proud of!

ProudHornetMom
10-11-2008, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by OldBison75
As a Rattler fan I can tell you Caldwell is for real. They have a superb offense and a good, quick defense. They will go far in the playoffs. They are well coached and play with super intensity. Don't anyone underestimate them--they are good.

Thank you Old Bison75. We appreciate your kind words.

Bull's-eye
10-11-2008, 12:56 AM
Great game by both teams, too bad there had to be a loser. Both schools and their fans should be very proud of the players out on the field. Sounds like they treated the crowd to an incredible game.

HEMOTOXIC
10-11-2008, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Great game by both teams, too bad there had to be a loser. Both schools and their fans should be very proud of the players out on the field. Sounds like they treated the crowd to an incredible game.

Oh, I tell ya, it was more than what we could ask for.

baseballmom
10-11-2008, 07:31 AM
It seems that the REFS( GODS ) need to get in ck. THey seem to be only looking for the unsportmans like calls. They need to watch for the regular penalties, holding, facemask..., and let the boys play. In the Col. game the refs where so caught with personal fouls they forgot to watch the reg. stuff. Like QB passing after crossing the line of scrimmage, out of bounds. Once a Col. player nearly tore off a shirt of a Smithville player in front of the ref. and no call. BAAAAAAAAAAAD calling on this group. Who birddogs the refs. ?Other REFS, I do not know. Maybe they need to be paid more and this sort of calling my go away. LOL!!!

UPanIN
10-11-2008, 08:15 AM
This was one of the best HS game I've seen. Caldwell played well enough to win and maybe should have.

The Hornets converted 4th down 2-3 times and seemed to believe they couldn't be stopped. The Rattlers stepped up with big stops in the 2nd half to seal the win.

Caldwell has a very good team and Navasota is fortunate to have pulled this one out with good play themselves.

Good luck to the Hornets. Your team is well coached and your kids play with great intensity on both sides of the ball.

ProudHornetMom
10-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by UPanIN
This was one of the best HS game I've seen. Caldwell played well enough to win and maybe should have.

The Hornets converted 4th down 2-3 times and seemed to believe they couldn't be stopped. The Rattlers stepped up with big stops in the 2nd half to seal the win.

Caldwell has a very good team and Navasota is fortunate to have pulled this one out with good play themselves.

Good luck to the Hornets. Your team is well coached and your kids play with great intensity on both sides of the ball.

Thanks UPanIN. Appreciate the cudos. My son (as well as the whole team) was very down last night. He's at film now...I'm hoping that will put it in perspective.

OldBison75
10-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Caldwell has nothing to hang thier heads about. They are an outstanding team that will beat most teams they play if they keep up what they showed last night. They have a fine stable of running backs, an effective o-line, a quick hard hitting defense , and great coaching. This team will give a lot of teams trouble when they advance in the playoffs. It would not surprise me to see them at least three rounds deep.

The Hornets may have lost on the scoreboard, but they made believers out of Navasota fans. A break here or there and they would have won. Both teams played hard and had some calls that were questionable go against them. The Caldwell offense put up over 400 yards on the Rattler defense. No shame in totals like that. This was a game where you can't say one team was better than the other, only that someone had to win and Navasota came up with the last big play on defense.

Congratulations to both teams on the best High School football game I've seen in several years.

Global Swarming
10-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Congrats Navasota, boy I'll tell you, this game was certainly worth the admission price. Those fans that chose to stay at home and listen to it on the radio shame on you lol. I have seen alot of high school football and I'll tell you, this has got to be the most exciting one I have ever seen. You could feel the tension throughout the stadium when we scored that last touchdown. I agree with going for 2 after the last touchdown. You want to try to win it and not have it go into overtime. Plus our kicker has been hit or miss all season long. Don't want to put that much pressure on the kid. The decision to go for 2 was right but I think I would have ran a different play. I would have tried the pitchout pass that they scored on earlier in the game. But oh well a great game none the less. It's a shame someone had to lose this one. We might still be playing if it had gone into overtime lol. Again, congrats to Navasota you have handled the victory with class on here.

navscanmaster
10-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Global Swarming
Congrats Navasota, boy I'll tell you, this game was certainly worth the admission price. Those fans that chose to stay at home and listen to it on the radio shame on you lol. I have seen alot of high school football and I'll tell you, this has got to be the most exciting one I have ever seen. You could feel the tension throughout the stadium when we scored that last touchdown. I agree with going for 2 after the last touchdown. You want to try to win it and not have it go into overtime. Plus our kicker has been hit or miss all season long. Don't want to put that much pressure on the kid. The decision to go for 2 was right but I think I would have ran a different play. I would have tried the pitchout pass that they scored on earlier in the game. But oh well a great game none the less. It's a shame someone had to lose this one. We might still be playing if it had gone into overtime lol. Again, congrats to Navasota you have handled the victory with class on here.
Agreed. OldBison75 and I were sitting there during the timeout before the 2 pt attempt by Caldwell saying "you know, if not for a stupid push in the back that didn't affect the run anyhow, Pratt would have had that TD and we wouldn't be sitting here biting our fingernails!" It was crazy to say the least. I am glad it was not a blowout either way. I will take a defensive battle over a barnburner anyday. Well, I am sitting here waiting to board my flight at DFW going to Tulsa............you should see all the sad Sooners sitting around me! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I love it!

LoveTheHornets
10-11-2008, 07:06 PM
I couldn't go to the game because we had to go out-of-town, so we were trying to listen on 105.1, but kept getting interference from other stations. I was reduced to using my husband's BlackBerry to access 3A Downlow to get updates! Thanks to King LeYoeNidas for those updates. He would post, and then I would have to refresh, wait for it to upload, read the next post, refresh, etc., etc.

Oh, I wish I could have been there!