PDA

View Full Version : Robstown Cotton Pickers @ Sinton Pirates (both teams 3-0 in District)

SintonFan_inAustin
10-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Battle for the district lead. Sinton only win last year was to Robstown 25-14.

99IHSMustang
10-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
Battle for the district lead. Sinton only win last year was to Robstown 25-14.

and then there will be only one....

undefeated team after this game that is. :D

Maroon87
10-11-2008, 12:31 AM
Sinton by 3 TD's.

JR2004
10-11-2008, 01:03 AM
THE UNDEFEATED SINTON PIRATES will win this one!

SintonFan_inAustin
10-11-2008, 02:08 AM
Sinton stats(unofficial)
-----------Total points(P/G)---Total PA(P/G)
Sinton -----140 (28.0) ----------94 (18.8)
Total Offensive yards(P/G)
Sinton ------- 1725 (345.0)
Opponent--- 1331 (266.2)

Total Rushing yards (P/G)---Passing(P/G)
Sinton ------- 1262 (252.4)--- 463 (92.6)
Opponent---- 828 (165.6) --- 503 (100.6)

Total First Downs(P/G) ----Total Plays(yds/play)
Sinton-------69 (13.8) ----- 239 (7.2)
Opponent-- 53 (10.6) ----- 242 (5.5)

Player stats:
QB's -----------ATT--Comp--Yds --TD-INT
Josh Harrison-- 39 --- 18 -- 283 -- 4 -- 1
Carson Cave--- 23 --- 13 -- 180 -- 1 -- 2

Rushing---------ATT--Yds --Avg --TD
Richard Orta --- 56 -- 375 -- 6.7 -- 3
Carson Cave --- 39 -- 264 -- 6.8 -- 1
Josh Harrison --- 29 -- 216 -- 7.4 -- 2
Roy Perez ------- 30 -- 204 -- 6.8 -- 3
(5 others Rbs)--- 31 -- 208 -- 6.7 -- 1

Receiving----------Recs --yds -- Avg -- TD
Richard Orta------ 10 --- 114 -- 11.4 -- 1
Marshall Harrison-- 7 ---- 74 -- 10.6--- 1
Ram Sanchez ----- 5 ---- 107 -- 21.4 - 0
(6 other rec.)------ 15 ---- 220 -- 14.7 - 3

Kicking-------XPA --- XPM --FGA --FGM
Jeremy Laws- 17 ---- 16 ---- 2 ---- 0

Footballhudini
10-11-2008, 06:24 AM
Robstown wins it by at least 28 over an over-rated pirate team

pirate4state
10-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Sinton by 3 TD's.

:eek: :eek:

Love it, but don't think it's gonna happen.

I'm not sure what to think of Robstown. They open up district with a 42-27 win over district favorite Oso, then get held to 14 by OG the following week? Hangover high from the Oso win maybe?

They were the only team we beat last year and the football Gods were with us in Robstown last year. They put the ball on the ground alot and we picked off one or two of their passes, if memory serves.

Our defense is playing well, but all these missed tackles are KILLERS! Gotta start gang tackling & finishing!

Not ready to make my prediction.

:cheerl: GO PIRATES GO! :cheerl:

sinton66
10-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Gotta quit arm tackling, that doesn't get it done.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:eek: :eek:

Love it, but don't think it's gonna happen.

I'm not sure what to think of Robstown. They open up district with a 42-27 win over district favorite Oso, then get held to 14 by OG the following week? Hangover high from the Oso win maybe?

They were the only team we beat last year and the football Gods were with us in Robstown last year. They put the ball on the ground alot and we picked off one or two of their passes, if memory serves.

They have 12 sophmores on the team and seen them twice this year and they played ok but penalties and turnovers ended their drives. Defensively they played good, but seem to give up a big runs to keep the opponent drives alive. I think they are better than they were earlier in the year and only thing i see they still having problems is penalties. Robstown qb's are good runners and both good passers.

Sea of Red coming to Pirate land on Friday.

ol country boy
10-11-2008, 05:12 PM
The Pickers will sink the Pirate ship this week.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Massey Rating prediction for this game:
Sinton 25 Robstown 19

JR2004
10-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Massey Rating prediction for this game:
Sinton 25 Robstown 19

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

SintonFan_inAustin
10-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Corpus Christi Caller Times 3A H.S. football poll: Week 6
staff reports
Sunday, October 12, 2008

Local H.S. football poll for Class 3A (thru week 6):

1. SINTON (5-0)

Pirates didn't throw a single pass in beating Mathis; defense got a workout, but came up big when it counted

2. ROBSTOWN (3-3)

Cottonpickers are 3-for-3 in the district season, now ready for showdown with Sinton

3. WEST OSO (3-3)

Got the first of two key road wins with strong performance against Ingleside

4. INGLESIDE (3-3)

After a great performance against Mathis, the offense disappeared in the loss to West Oso

5. ORANGE GROVE (3-3)

Rebounded from two straight losses to open district season by beating Falfurrias by 35, have key game vs. Ingleside this Friday

JR2004
10-12-2008, 11:37 PM
You eight people who have voted against the undefeated SINTON PIRATES so far are just haters!

sinton66
10-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
You eight people who have voted against the undefeated SINTON PIRATES so far are just haters!

LOL

pirate4state
10-12-2008, 11:40 PM
You eight people who have voted against the undefeated SINTON PIRATES so far are just haters! Polls don't matter!

JR2004
10-12-2008, 11:48 PM
Polls don't matter!

When the poll involves THE UNDEFEATED SINTON PIRATES they do!

pirate4state
10-12-2008, 11:59 PM
When the poll involves THE UNDEFEATED SINTON PIRATES they do! might lead to 20 ;)

bulldog64
10-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Robstown is living a charmed season. the drop to 3A has got them fired up. they are used to playing tough competition even if they were getting beat. They will be extremely confident and I think Sinton has been living on a wing and a prayer so I`ll go with Robstown in this one.

99IHSMustang
10-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by bulldog64
Robstown is living a charmed season. the drop to 3A has got them fired up. they are used to playing tough competition even if they were getting beat. They will be extremely confident and I think Sinton has been living on a wing and a prayer so I`ll go with Robstown in this one.

These were my thoughts as well, but Sinton is playing like a team and still winning regardless of the score. I wonder if Robstown is that good?? :thinking: I guess we will see after this Friday.

pirate4state
10-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by 99IHSMustang
These were my thoughts as well, but Sinton is playing like a team and still winning regardless of the score. I wonder if Robstown is that good?? :thinking: I guess we will see after this Friday. How do you figure? We are living on a wing & a prayer. ;)

99IHSMustang
10-13-2008, 12:12 PM
How do you figure? We are living on a wing & a prayer. ;)

Very close games = living on a wing & a prayer

Like I said winning is winning and Sinton is getting it done. I would have liked Ingleside to have won "on a wing & a prayer" against West Oso, but we didn't... :(

Footballhudini
10-13-2008, 12:37 PM

You have to be good in order for people to hate.. not over-rated.

DDBooger
10-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Footballhudini
You have to be good in order for people to hate.. not over-rated. THE DINI has spoken

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa131/nincompoop15/new%20progress/pablo.jpg

SintonFan_inAustin
10-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
THE DINI has spoken

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa131/nincompoop15/new%20progress/pablo.jpg :lies:

pirate4state
10-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Footballhudini
You have to be good in order for people to hate.. not over-rated. So true...:clap:

bulldog64
10-13-2008, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 99IHSMustang
[B]Very close games = living on a wing & a prayer

That`s exactly what I mean. Yes, they are unbeaten. There offense can score, which is good for them cause they do give up points. Basically, they just have to outscore their opponents, which luckily for them is the name of the game.

pirate4state
10-13-2008, 02:16 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 99IHSMustang
[B]Very close games = living on a wing & a prayer

That`s exactly what I mean. Yes, they are unbeaten. There offense can score, which is good for them cause they do give up points. Basically, they just have to outscore their opponents, which luckily for them is the name of the game. On average we are giving up 18.8 points a game. The most anyone has scored on us was 27 by Aransas Pass. I won't belittle Aransas Pass and say that was a "fluke game" because they played their asses off. Yall can believe it or not believe it.

I'm just happy to be winning again. We might not be blowing people out, but are finding ways to win & playing TEAM ball. Something we didn't have last year!

We never stay down for long! :taunt:

sotxrat
10-13-2008, 02:47 PM
having seen both of these teams: i know this may not say good things about orange grove but robstown was not that impressive in their victory over og however they are riding a district win streak and that does mean they will play hard will be difficult for any team in this district to beat.

sinton, well, things have gone well for them so far, i feel their schedule could not have been any better for them except for having to travel to West Oso to play. do not get me wrong, sinton is doing what they have to do to win and that is what it is all about.

sinton takes this game at home, it will not be pretty, but it is a win.

sinfan75
10-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Sinton picks the cottin pickin pickers apart. 42-14!!:p

pirate4state
10-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
Sinton picks the cottin pickin pickers apart. 42-14!!:p I thought you were picking us to lose every week? :confused: Did you just jinx us?!?! :eek:

JR2004
10-13-2008, 09:56 PM
On average we are giving up 18.8 points a game. The most anyone has scored on us was 27 by Aransas Pass. I won't belittle Aransas Pass and say that was a "fluke game" because they played their asses off. Yall can believe it or not believe it.

I'm just happy to be winning again. We might not be blowing people out, but are finding ways to win & playing TEAM ball. Something we didn't have last year!

We never stay down for long! :taunt:

Rita we really need to see some homer posts from you and the rest of the Sinton fanbase. You guys and gals down that way are always so realistic about your team and that has to change! It doesn't fit in with this board at all!

I saw nothing in your post about "No one tries harder than we do" or the all-time favorite cliche of "We just have a bunch small kids who aren't real fast, but they play with a lot of HEART and DETERMINATION and they never quit"! Will someone from Sinton please step up to the plate with these time-tested cliches and use them to describe your UNDEFEATED SINTON PIRATES?!?!

sinfan75
10-13-2008, 10:03 PM
I thought you were picking us to lose every week? :confused: Did you just jinx us?!?! :eek: I picked Sinton to win last week.:D

sinfan75
10-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Check 31-3a thread.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-13-2008, 10:17 PM
Rita we really need to see some homer posts from you and the rest of the Sinton fanbase. You guys and gals down that way are always so realistic about your team and that has to change! It doesn't fit in with this board at all!

I saw nothing in your post about "No one tries harder than we do" or the all-time favorite cliche of "We just have a bunch small kids who aren't real fast, but they play with a lot of HEART and DETERMINATION and they never quit"! Will someone from Sinton please step up to the plate with these time-tested cliches and use them to describe your UNDEFEATED SINTON PIRATES?!?! Robstown is rolling, they dont look like the Pickers of last year and like Phil C says, scaring times indeed! Sinton 49 Robstown 14

sinton66
10-13-2008, 10:20 PM
Robstown is rolling, they dont look like the Pickers of last year and like Phil C says, scaring times indeed! Sinton 49 Robstown 14

LOL!

piratebg
10-13-2008, 10:20 PM
Sinton 35
Robstown 21

The Pirates will have another battle on their hands but the 4th quarter has been very good for them this season.

ProudHornetMom
10-13-2008, 10:21 PM

Maybe a wing and a prayer for 1 or 2 wins but undefeated...nope...more than a wing and a prayer. Charmed seasons can be fragile sometimes. I think Sinton will plunder the cotton and win the game.

pirate4state
10-13-2008, 10:22 PM

I saw nothing in your post about "No one tries harder than we do" or the all-time favorite cliche of "We just have a bunch small kids who aren't real fast, but they play with a lot of HEART and DETERMINATION and they never quit"! Will someone from Sinton please step up to the plate with these time-tested cliches and use them to describe your UNDEFEATED SINTON PIRATES?!?!

Stick around. If we take care of business against Robstown & Falfurrias, you will see PLENTY of HOMER posts the week of Halloween!!! :D

sinton66
10-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by ProudHornetMom
Maybe a wing and a prayer for 1 or 2 wins but undefeated...nope...more than a wing and a prayer. Charmed seasons can be fragile sometimes. I think Sinton will rob the cotton and win the game.

Arrrrgh! The correct term is PLUNDER, not rob.:D

piratebg
10-13-2008, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
not rob

Someone talkin bout me?

sinfan75
10-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Maybe a wing and a prayer for 1 or 2 wins but undefeated...nope...more than a wing and a prayer. Charmed seasons can be fragile sometimes. I think Sinton will rob the cotton and win the game. Darn so that's how you cotton.:thinking: one of the few words I always had trouble spelling

SintonFan_inAustin
10-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Stick around. If we take care of business against Robstown & Falfurrias, you will see PLENTY of HOMER posts the week of Halloween!!! :D :thinking: who does Sinton play on halloween :stirpot:

piratebg
10-13-2008, 10:28 PM
:thinking: who does Sinton play on halloween :stirpot:

Ingleside ;)

ProudHornetMom
10-13-2008, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Arrrrgh! The correct term is PLUNDER, not rob.:D

I changed it to plunder. I thought it was a cute play on words to say rob as in robbing Robstown. But come to think of it...pirates aren't into cute are they?;)

piratebg
10-13-2008, 10:30 PM
I changed it to plunder. I thought it was a cute play on words to say rob as in robbing Robstown. But come to think of it...pirates aren't into cute are they?;)

Funny thing is there is a better chance of you getting "robbed" in Robstown then Sinton. Maybe that is where the name of town actually comes from.

pirate4state
10-13-2008, 10:32 PM
i now understand why bulldog64 used "wing & a prayer", but i think he is projecting :p

sinton66
10-13-2008, 10:37 PM

Well, some of us are. (Not me, just some).:bigcry:

sinton66
10-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
Funny thing is there is a better chance of you getting "robbed" in Robstown then Sinton. Maybe that is where the name of town actually comes from.

LOL, I never thought of it that way.:D

SintonFan_inAustin
10-14-2008, 12:39 AM
Robstown is rolling, they dont look like the Pickers of last year and like Phil C says, scaring times indeed! Sinton 49 Robstown 14 That is what i am hoping for, but here is what most likely to happen:

Robstown in district games= averaging 28.0 points/game, allowing 16.0 points/game = +12.0 win differential.

Sinton in district games= averaging 25.3 points/game, allowing 16.3 points/game = +9.0 win differential.
In District
Scoring By Qtrs------1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q
Robstown ----------- 14 29 27 14
Sinton -------------- 27 14 07 28

Points Allowing------ 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q
Robstown ----------- 23 07 00 18
Sinton -------------- 06 13 07 23

Using district scoring stats as thats when Robstown started winning otherwise Sinton has better numbers than Robstown.

These stats show a very close game with Sinton showing they do most of their scoring early and late and Robstown before half and after halftime. Sinton has allowed only 7 points all year in the 3rd Qtr and that is one of Robstowns better Qtrs of the game. That could decide the game, which teams stays with the trend.

I 'll go with Sinton 28 Robstown 20

SINTON81
10-14-2008, 08:01 AM
I say Sinton in a close one. Sinton 28.1, Robstown 27.9:D :D

bulldog64
10-14-2008, 08:19 AM
The 3rd quarter is a tad rough on Sinton.Robstown not giving up any points, scoring 27, their biggest quarter. Sinton better be in the lead at the half.

Phil C
10-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Go Pirates!

pirate4state
10-14-2008, 09:41 AM
I'm feeling a little bit better today. Had a chance to watch some film ( :nerd: ) and Robstown is good, but the teams they've played against so far (district) have turned the ball over and given them a short field.

Couldn't find anything on the AP game, but Oso turned the ball over 3 times and OG threw 3 INTs, one of them in the end zone. :doh: OG killed themselves with penalties & turnovers. They were in that game the entire time.

Offensively, I feel confident that we can run & pass, if we so choose, against Robstown. :2thumbsup

Defensively - we can not give up any big plays in the air. They have a very good QB that played in the Oso game, but didn't play too much in the OG game. :confused: Maybe he was a little banged up?

If we want to continue to win, we have to protect the ball! It's that simple! :D

FINISH

SintonFan_inAustin
10-14-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm feeling a little bit better today. Had a chance to watch some film ( :nerd: ) and Robstown is good, but the teams they've played against so far (district) have turned the ball over and given them a short field.

Couldn't find anything on the AP game, but Oso turned the ball over 3 times and OG threw 3 INTs, one of them in the end zone. :doh: OG killed themselves with penalties & turnovers. They were in that game the entire time.

Offensively, I feel confident that we can run & pass, if we so choose, against Robstown. :2thumbsup

Defensively - we can not give up any big plays in the air. They have a very good QB that played in the Oso game, but didn't play too much in the OG game. :confused: Maybe he was a little banged up?

If we want to continue to win, we have to protect the ball! It's that simple! :D

FINISH Fumbles and penalites in two games i seen them and on defense would give up some first downs after looking good for couple of plays. Against RF they use two QB's one was a right hander the other a lefty, which one have they been using in district?

IHStangFan
10-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Sinton SHOULD win this game, but Robstown has proven they can play spoiler.

Gimme Sinton by 10.

3afan
10-14-2008, 12:42 PM
gotta pick Robstown, but only 'cause of the nickname ...

pirate4state
10-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Fumbles and penalites in two games i seen them and on defense would give up some first downs after looking good for couple of plays. Against RF they use two QB's one was a right hander the other a lefty, which one have they been using in district? Both. The lefty came in for a few snaps in the OG game, but primarly they used the running qb in the OG game #6.

SintonFan
10-14-2008, 08:57 PM
These were my thoughts as well, but Sinton is playing like a team and still winning regardless of the score. I wonder if Robstown is that good?? :thinking: I guess we will see after this Friday.
lol
How do you keep winning regardless of the score?:p :D

99IHSMustang
10-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
lol
How do you keep winning regardless of the score?:p :D

Yeah your right what was I thinking, the score could very well be reversed this time around say Robstown 22 Sinton 21 :p

Just to add, in all honestly I really don't have an opinion as to who I believe will win. I just have a feeling it will be another close game.

pirate4state
10-15-2008, 07:05 PM
With all the rain we've had the past few days I'm thinking we have a low scoring game. No room for error.

TCOB

SintonFan
10-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Yeah your right what was I thinking, the score could very well be reversed this time around say Robstown 22 Sinton 21 :p

Just to add, in all honestly I really don't have an opinion as to who I believe will win. I just have a feeling it will be another close game.
It's all in good fun.:)

SintonFan_inAustin
10-16-2008, 08:05 AM
http://media.caller.com/ccct/content/img/photos/2008/10/15/20081015-212605-pic-385552892_t180.jpg

pirate4state
10-16-2008, 09:45 AM
http://media.caller.com/ccct/content/img/photos/2008/10/15/20081015-212605-pic-385552892_t180.jpg mkay.....just looking over the roster...they have a bunch of jrs/sophs on the team. this drop down might just be what the doctor ordered for Robstown!

sinton66
10-16-2008, 11:49 AM
mkay.....just looking over the roster...they have a bunch of jrs/sophs on the team. this drop down might just be what the doctor ordered for Robstown!

Yep, until they play the top 3 in the district.:D

piratebg
10-17-2008, 12:35 AM
http://www.kiiitv.com/sports/hssports/31086829.html

I saw this Wed night. Everyone seems pretty high on the Pickers.

piratebg
10-17-2008, 12:39 AM
http://www.caller.com/news/2008/oct/15/robstownfootball/

Robstown chasing first playoff berth in 42 years
By Javier Becerra (Contact)

COMING ON STRONG: The Robstown football team is 3-0 in District 31-3A, tied with Sinton atop the standings. Robstown coach Doug Wood admits the drop to Class 3A is part of the reason the team remains undefeated in district after three games.

The rest of it has to do with the Cotton Pickers simply playing better football.

"The main thing is that we're not beating ourselves with turnovers and missed assignments," said Wood, in his third year at the school. "That's what we've been preaching since I've been here. That's our philosophy. We're going to make you beat us. I think we've turned the corner."

As a result, Robstown is 3-0 and sits atop the 31-3A standings along with Sinton, a team that went 1-9 a year ago. The Pirates (3-0, 5-0 overall) host the Cotton Pickers on Friday in a battle for sole possession of first place.

Sitting 1-9 and we 2-8 here we are top of dist, showdown, have lot of respect, makes for an exciting game, feel like difference will be who can come out and make the least amount of mistakes

The Cotton Pickers were one of the smallest 4A squads in the area until the University Interscholastic League released its biennial realignment in February. The school turned in an enrollment of 958, which put it below the 4A minimum of 980.

Robstown ended up in 31-3A with seven other teams -- Aransas Pass, Falfurrias, Ingleside, Mathis, Orange Grove, Sinton and West Oso. After competing against the likes of Alice, Calallen and Flour Bluff for so long, the Cotton Pickers welcomed the change.

Plus, depth isn't as much of a problem anymore.

"We used to be the smallest school choosing from (the) smallest number of kids," Wood said. "We have better depth than some of the teams we've played. We've been able to wear some teams down a little bit."

Robstown has done it using three quarterbacks -- junior Joe Mungia and sophomores Randy Flores and Alex Marroquin.

Flores and Mungia are the runners, although Wood said Marroquin is capable of tucking the ball and taking off. Flores and Mungia have combined to rush for 540 yards, with Mungia scoring eight touchdowns.

The QB trio have passed for 511 yards and three touchdowns, leaving most opponents to play a guessing game when the Cotton Pickers have the ball.

"They're effective," said Orange Grove coach Brent Kornegay, whose team lost to Sinton (28-15) and Robstown (14-9) on consecutive weeks. "You have to defend against three different styles. You have to be alert."

All Wood wants to do is utilize the talent he has available as much as possible.

"Each one has something different they bring to the table," Wood said. "Since two are sophomores and one is a junior, they're also getting experience. We're pleased with all three and have to take advantage of their skills."

The Cotton Pickers are certainly coming around after losing the first three games of the season. That slide -- seven games stretching to last year-- came to a halt with a 42-27 win over West Oso.

Robstown then held on to beat Orange Grove and continued the winning streak with a 28-12 victory over Aransas Pass last week. The Cotton Pickers hadn't won three games in row since a 3-0 start in 1997.

Robstown, which hasn't made the playoffs since 1966, still has some work to do. At least the Cotton Pickers appear to be heading in the right direction.

"It's like we tell them, winning is a lot more fun than losing. We just didn't figure it out right away," Wood said. "You have to learn how to win. That means preparing and being at practice every day. That's what we've had to work on. You have to be serious and it has to be important to you."

So far it is.

Ranger354
10-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Working again tonight so I will miss the game. Sure hope I can get a play by play on here later...

Ingleside Fan
10-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Good luck to both teams. I hope the game goes injury free.

piratebg
10-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Ranger354
Working again tonight so I will miss the game. Sure hope I can get a play by play on here later...

I'm in the same boat. Thank God for SFIA :D