PDA

View Full Version : Brookshire vs Wharton???

17counter
10-10-2008, 10:47 PM
Anyone know anything?

raider red 2000
10-10-2008, 10:50 PM
21-20 WHS wins

Necks_Fan
10-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
21-20 WHS wins Was 21-0 at half I think. Wow!

Old Green
10-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
21-20 WHS wins :clap: Way to go Tigers:cheerl:

TigerFan51
10-11-2008, 12:16 AM
Yes, it was 21-0 at the half. Wharton offense didn't show up for the second half but the last four or five minutes of the game was a barn burner. BR had a PAT blocked and then the defense held. BR kicked an onside kick and recovered. Wharton lost a fumble to BR. It almost gave me a heart attack but the Tigers pulled this one out. I understand that Needville beat WC 14-6 and we've got Needville next week. It ought to be an interesting game between Needville and Wharton, to say the least.

I was really surprised that there were virtually NO BR fans in the visitors stands and they're only about 40 or 45 minutes away!

Congratulations Tigers on your win. Let's keep it going.

trojan37
10-11-2008, 12:26 AM
Is Wayne Woodard still a coach at BR? I know he used to be there a few years back. Just curious.

HEMOTOXIC
10-11-2008, 12:28 AM
Congrats Tigers!

17counter
10-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by trojan37
Is Wayne Woodard still a coach at BR? I know he used to be there a few years back. Just curious.

No he was fired by Martinez 2 years ago before the start of the season. Wayne was a great man! I think he is teaching in Katy now!

trojan37
10-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by 17counter
No he was fired by Martinez 2 years ago before the start of the season. Wayne was a great man! I think he is teaching in Katy now!

I always liked Coach Woodard. He was a real good guy and would do anything to help you out. A heck of a baseball coach too. He completely turned our program around. His son is an assistant now in West.

Antec
10-11-2008, 08:26 PM
TIGERS WIN!!!
Wharton opens district slate with 21-20 victory over Royal

By MIKE KONVICKA mkonvicka@journal-spectator.com

Wharton's football team celebrated it's homecoming with a thrilling 21-20 win over Royal in the District 26-3A opener at Tiger Stadium.

Wharton needed a defensive stand in the final minute to preserve the win. Daniel Garcia had missed a 40-yard field goal with 2:42 remaining following Royal's third touchdown with 4:47 remaining that would have given Royal a 23-21 lead.

After Garcia's missed field goal, Wharton got the ball back but failed to pick up a first down giving Royal it's final chance. The Falcons drove inside the Wharton 40 where four passes fell incomplete.

The Tigers took over on downs and ran out the final 46 seconds of the clock.

'It was great. I just wish it wasn't as close as it was," said Wharton coach Stacey Hunt. "Hopefully, there are a lot more to come."

Wharton built a 21-0 halftime lead and took that into the fourth quarter before Royal rallied back.

"When your up 21-0 you have to close out ball games," Hunt said.

The game was a defensive battle for the most part with the teams combining for 13 punts.

"They came through when they had to, and I'm really proud of them," Hunt said.

Royal took the opening kickoff and took over at its own 22, failed to pick up a first down and punted.

Wharton took over at its own 24 with 9:53 remaining, picked up one first down but had to punt with under seven minutes left.

Royal took over at its own 25 yard line. Aaron Brown raced 25 yards to midfield on the first play and then made it the Tiger 41.

On a fourth and five from the 25, Alex Anderson was stopped and the Tigers took over own downs at the 26 with 4:18 remaining.

Wharton then had to punt again and Royal took over at its own 13 yard line with 3:15 remaining

. Royal punted three plays later and the Tigers took over at the Falcons 39 yard line with 1:50 showing on the clock.

Three plays later, varsity newcomer Deshaven Williams raced around the right side for a 33-yard touchdown. Justin Sherrils' kick put the Tigers up 7-0 with only 30 seconds left in the quarter.

Royal took over at its own 38 after the ensuing kickoff but had to punt three plays later.

Elijah Richardson kept the ball and raced around the left side of the line for a 62-yard touchdown run with 11:40 remaining in the second quarter. Sherrill's kick put the Tigers up 14-0.

Three plays later, Wharton's Joey Jackson recovered a Royal fumble at the Falcon 38 with 10:12 remaining.

Three plays after that, Raymond Felder picked up a first down to the 25. Richardson kept the ball again and raced out of bounds at the Falcons 2, and the Tigers called time out with 8:51 remaining.

He kept the ball on a sneak over the goalline on the next play with 8:46 remaining. Sherrill's kick made the scoreboard read 21-0.

Wharton took the second half kickoff and took over at its own 40. The Tigers drove to the Falcons 36 after a 15-yard face mask penalty.

Royal's defense held and Wharton had to punt and the Falcons took over at its own 28 with 8:38 remaining.

Wharton's defense held again, forced a punt and took over at its own 43 with 6:59 remaining.

Wharton couldn't convert and punted, Royal took over at its own 34 with 4:20 left in third quarter.

Two plays later, Shane Alexander caught a pass at the Tiger 32 from Eric Matthews. Brandon Calip caught a pass at the 25.

On a fourth and one from the 23, Alexander failed to pick up the necessary yardage and the Tigers took over own downs with only 55 seconds remaining in the third quarter.

The quarter then ended after Raymond Felder picked up a first down to the 35.

But the Tigers fumbled the ball away on the first play of the fourth quarter, and Royal took over at the Tiger 41.

The Falcons drove to the Tiger 25 after a 10-yard catch from Brown.

Then he caught another pass to the 18. Brown then caught a pass in the endzone for a touchdown with 9:28 left in the fourth quarter. Garcia booted the extra point to bring the score to 21-7.

Royal tried and onsides kick but Wharton recovered it at its own 49.

Royal's defense held, forced a punt and the Falcons took over at their own 31 with 6:18 remaining in the game. A 15-yard penalty moved the ball to the 45. Then Shane Alexander caught a 45-yard pass from Alex Alexander for a touchdown with 5:59 remaining. Garcia's kick brought the score to 21-14.

Royal then recovered an onsides kick and took over at Wharton 49.

Brown caught a 17-yard pass to the 32. Shane Alexander caught a pass to the 24 to set up a fourth down and two.

Alexander then took the ball up the middle for a touchdown with 4:47 left to bring the score to 21-20. Garcias' kick was blocked.

Royal recovered a Wharton fumble with 3:48 setting up the final drive.

Wharton, now 1-5, hosts Needville next Friday. The Bluejays beat Columbia 14-6. Sweeny beat Stafford 51-13 in the other district game.

TigerFan51
10-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Nice write-up, but it's Deshavian not Deshaven...geez! I'm just a stickler for getting names right, lol!

maestro
10-12-2008, 07:05 PM
without naming names...

grades are coming out before next friday's matchups....

any loses from anyone in district???

no names....just maybe positions played...