PDA

View Full Version : Has it really been eight years?

kepdawg
10-10-2008, 12:40 AM
It takes a lot to get me to miss a high school football game in the fall. Whether winning or losing once the lights go on you know where to find me every Friday night. This Friday; however, the lights would be of a different variety. Half a dozen friends and I were heading out for a weekend of camping. No big plans; just some guy time together away from all the troubles of the world. That afternoon prior to meeting the guys I got an indescribable feeling in my gut. No, it was not heart burn from a certainly not so healthy lunch of a college student. It was a feeling that something was terribly wrong. I was disturbed by such a feeling but carried on. Later that evening I was at our designated meeting place. Several of us guys had already arrived and we were waiting for everyone else to show before we headed out. Finally, the last person showed up. We were already to go, or so we thought. Before we had a chance to get everything loaded up the friend who had arrived last looked at another friend and asked, "So, who's going to tell him?" The two had been on the phone until the latter friend arrived. Everyone was gathered into the living room and told to sit down. I had no idea what this was all about. With this particular group of guys anything could be going on. Once we were all seated in the living room one of my friends finally broke the news that earlier that afternoon there had been a car accident; one of my friends had been involved. It was not good. It was bad, very bad. She was gone. A car had crossed the median and it was over instantly. My friend, just eighteen years old and only six weeks into her freshman year of college, was gone. The time that followed was a blur; sleepless nights followed by wasted (not drunk) days. The following Tuesday I served as a pallbearer for a friend I had never imagined would be gone. These events occurred from October 6, 2000 to October 10, 2000. Has it really been eight years? It is amazing how quickly tomorrow becomes yesterday.

Prepare for the unexpected. Do not take for granted that your family and friends know your feelings for them. Share your feelings with them; show your feelings to them. On that Friday night eight years ago I knew that time with my friends was more important than time at a football game. I had no idea though just how much I would truly need those friends that night.

Football has afforded us many opportunities to develop new friendships and to mature previously developed friendships. I hope that as you gather in stadiums across the state tonight that you do not take for granted the people you encounter. Whether on this board or in the stands, it is not the game that matters, but it is the people we experience it with that do.

'84 Stang
10-10-2008, 01:05 AM
kepdawg,

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend......I bet this event still feels like it just happened a few days ago ( even after eight years ) I too have lost a couple of close of good friends ..... The first one was an older friend that lived in our small community and was a close family friend. One summer evening ( July 1995 ) I got a call ( dispatch call for our local Volunteer Fire Dept ) that there was a pick-up on fire at a lot just across the street frim the fire station..... we got there and quickly put the fire out....by then it was dark outside so we did not realize whose truck it was until my friends wife showed up and asked where her husband was ..... it was then that someone flashed a flashlight at the cab of the truck and there he was ..... burned beyond recognition .... The absolute worst feeling in the world..... I had even sprayed water into the drivers side window and never even realized that he was in the cab..... We are pretty sure that he slipped into a diabetic coma when he pulled into the lot and his foot stayed on the gas petal and raced the engine until a fire started.... 13 years ago.....seems like last week..... I try and live my life that way he showed us by his example and we all know that he is right there with the Lord having a lively conversation....that's the type of person he was ..... Wow ... after 13 years I have never really writted this story out.....But yes... live every day to its fullest and tell those around you how much you care and love them .....which reminds me what I need to do tomorrow.... Everone have a safe Friday evening and wonderfully blessed week-end... '84 Stang

44INAROW
10-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Amen Kep - sorry about your friend :( - Thank God you had the comfort of good friends to help you through that time - and that's what good friends are for - whether they are friends you've grown up with or friends you met on a little football message board. Sept 23rd, 1985 is the "accident date" etched in my mind. Each year when we get that 1st cool front, I remember that night like it was yesterday :( As you said, where has the time gone?
On that somber note - Everyone be safe this weekend and have safe travels to and from your respective games :)

raider red 2000
10-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Amen Kep - sorry about your friend :( - Thank God you had the comfort of good friends to help you through that time - and that's what good friends are for - whether they are friends you've grown up with or friends you met on a little football message board. Sept 23rd, 1985 is the "accident date" etched in my mind. Each year when we get that 1st cool front, I remember that night like it was yesterday :( As you said, where has the time gone?
On that somber note - Everyone be safe this weekend and have safe travels to and from your respective games :)

things like this always make me think about my lil bro.

it was july 4th 2000.....he had just graduated in may...was goign to be moving from lubbock to canyon to play ball at WTAMU.

he was planning on becoming a coach also....i always wanted to coach with him...he could have been so much better than me....he competed like every play would be his last.

but in passing it got me to leave lubbock....and get on with my life....i later met my wife in corpus...and now we have a little boy....who i hope can be the competitor that my lil bro was.