PDA

View Full Version : Are any schools athletic departments being affected by the economy?

Keith7
10-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Does anyone have any stories of schools scheduling closer games, not being able to buy new equipment, having to let coaches go, etc.?

IHStangFan
10-09-2008, 07:49 PM
that is a great question. I'll be curious to see how and if this plays out. I wonder what it'll do to college and pro teams as well...ticket sales, merchandise, etc.

Snydertigersrul
10-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Since budgets had already been established, it will probably to next year before we learn the answer.

IHStangFan
10-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
Since budgets had already been established, it will probably to next year before we learn the answer. you are correct about HS....pro sports may be affected by ticket sales, etc. earlier I'd suspect w/ the exception of season ticket holders and whanot. Guess it just really depends on how bad it gets.

NastySlot
10-09-2008, 09:32 PM
they got to us last year...we had to cut out meals this year......we have in the past feed varsity athletes only...now we feed no one....i think we might end up dropping a jv tourney we host due budget cuts and cost of officials.............what really makes this stink and hard to explain to the kids is we are property rich district send millions so one else can feed their kids...get new buses have nice schools.......and yet are kids do everything asked of them in both academics and extracuriculars.....robin hood is a joke.....

one more thing cut out- no more over night trips.....our track team usually goes to san angelo and our baseball team to brownwood..our cross country teams had been going to corpus.

GreenMonster
10-09-2008, 11:35 PM
No overnights, no games over 100 miles away, only 2 tournaments instead of 3, and my budget was cut by 20% from last year. I am in a poor district with more than 75% of our kids on free or reduced lunches. We feed every team that leaves campus mainly because we are worried they will not eat otherwise. We have cut back to a maximum of $6 a meal, but my AD insists that I hold back at least a quarter of my overall budget to feed my teams. It isn't a bad thing, I just have to give up some of the things I want in order to buy the things I need and still have the $ to feed the kiddos.

Twirling Time
10-10-2008, 07:35 AM
In football, all the games are two-year contracts, so I think you won't see an effect until 2010. I guarantee you Denison won't be scheduling Big Spring again unless they play in Abilene.

nunya
10-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Twirling Time
In football, all the games are two-year contracts, so I think you won't see an effect until 2010. I guarantee you Denison won't be scheduling Big Spring again unless they play in Abilene.

..but if gas prices are falling, that doesn't make sense. I'm sure all districts are being affected, just hard to tell at this stage how badly.