PDA

View Full Version : Cuero's Goebel becomes a Baylor "Legend"

44INAROW
10-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Cuero’s Goebel becomes a Baylor ‘Legend’

October 08, 2008 - 10:33 p.m.

Brad Goebel’s real estate clients are often surprised when they learn about his past.

Goebel led Cuero to the 1985 Class 3A state final before playing quarterback at Baylor and in the NFL for six seasons.

But Goebel gets the most interesting responses when he talks about the success Baylor had against Texas.

“I tell them we beat Texas three of the four years I was there,” Goebel said. “People are like, ‘Are you serious?’”

Goebel is serious and he played a role in the Bears’ good fortune by passing for 5,026 yards and 25 touchdowns during his Baylor career.

Goebel will have the opportunity to reflect on his college career when he travels to Waco from his home in Horseshoe Bay on Saturday to receive the Legends Award at halftime of Baylor’s game against Iowa State at Floyd Casey Stadium.

The award is presented by Baylor’s “B” Association to honor outstanding former athletes in their respective sports.

“I thought you had to be old to be a legend,” joked Goebel, who will turn 41 on Monday. “I don’t feel that old.”

Goebel decided to attend Baylor after setting a then Class 3A record by passing for 2,528 yards and 31 touchdowns during his senior season at Cuero.

He was swayed by the opportunity to play for Baylor coach Grant Teaff and to work with quarterbacks coach Cotton Davidson.

“I had a good relationship with those guys,” Goebel said. “Coach Teaff was such a dynamic coach. He knew how to motivate guys to get more out of them. We were able to win games we were not supposed to win. He’d recruit guys who were not blue chippers, but were right below them and got the most out of them. We didn’t go 10-0, but we were competitive in all our games.”

Goebel quickly established himself at Baylor, starting as a redshirt freshman and passing for 2,178 yards, a school freshman record that still stands. He ranks third in career completions (375), fifth in career passing yards and is tied for ninth in career touchdown passes.

“My redshirt freshman year in 1987 was probably my best year,” Goebel said. “I had a new offensive coordinator every year. If I could have stayed in one system for four years, I think that would have been pretty neat. I had my most productive years when I was young.”

Teaff appreciated Goebel’s athletic and leadership abilities, naming him a team captain for the 1988 and ’89 seasons.

“Brad had that desire,” said Teaff, who his currently the executive director of the American College Football Coaches Association. “He was a mentally tough youngster who could throw the ball and had a very strong arm.

“I have very fond memories of Brad and our association with him. He comes from a wonderful family and is as fine a young man as I ever recruited to Baylor. He lived up to a lot of high expectations and played very consistently during the time he was a starter. He reached his potential, which is very important for youngsters as they move into the college level.”

Goebel passed for a career-best 347 yards against Texas Tech as a junior before injuries forced him to miss most of his senior season.

Goebel passed for 200 yards or more eight times during his Baylor career and it did not go unnoticed.

Goebel signed with the Philadelphia Eagles and also played for the Cleveland Browns, Jacksonville Jaguars and Washington Redskins before being released in 1996.

“I didn’t think about playing pro ball, it just kind of happened,” Goebel said. “I had some success at Baylor and I was fortunate to have the size and athletic ability that the scouts are looking for.”

Goebel is looking forward to joining family and friends to receive his award. He’s especially excited about being accompanied on the field by his 9-year-old daughter, Kylie.

“I’m very honored to be selected,” Goebel said. “I think you enjoy it more looking back than when you were there.”

Mike Forman is a sports writer for the Victoria Advocate. Contact him at 361-580-6588 or mforman@vicad.com, or comment on this column at www.VictoriaAdvocate.com.

Link (http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/894/story/333663.html)

DaHop72
10-09-2008, 03:39 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: