PDA

View Full Version : Jasper faces a very tough team this week!

Old Cardinal
09-02-2002, 12:30 PM
Silsbee has a great 4A team this year. They are anchored on defense by two of the best players in 4A. William Morrissey 6' 2' and 275# and Joey Pineda 6' 2" and 245 #'s; both are top College prospects. It will be interesting seeing Jorrie Adams, hands down the best Offensive Lineman in Texas, nose- up against one of these great defenders! This is a matchup of one of the better 4A's against one of the Better 3A's. The sparks are going to fly! I am glad Bridge City scrimmaged a premier 4A like Silsbee and that Jasper is also willing to put-it-on-the-line against a big quick team like Silsbee. Look for both Vidor and Silsbee to make the playoffs from that 9-team tough 4A District in SE Texas.

mojjo_1
09-02-2002, 01:09 PM
This should be another good test for Jasper. Jasper and Silsbee are big rivals, they have been in the same District for many years. I think Jasper will win big, I predict 37-7. Jasper defense can be awesome depending on what the coach's decide to do. When they put in the best 11 Silsbee won't be able to move the ball.It takes 2 blockers on both Joree and Joseph, that leaves 9 on 7. If you get chance go watch Jasper play. If not we may see BC or BH in the regional final. If we make it that far the game may be in Beaumont.

Old Cardinal
09-02-2002, 01:54 PM
Mojjo, I look for Bridge City to develop the depth to be meeting Jasper for the Region III Championship. I would think that Jasper will win this Friday, but they will know they were in a real ballgame. Bridge City and Barber's Hill will be a contest, at this point,however; I think that Peebles and Knight have a slight edge over Carrington and Northcutt. The rest of the players are pretty well matched. Meanwhile, Silsbee's big boys are tough, they will present the only challenge to Jasper before the Quarterfinals.

Bulldog92
09-02-2002, 02:26 PM
Don't forget about Newton, OC. That will be a tougher game for the Dogs than Silsbee...and going to Diboll won't be a picnic, either. It's not gonna be easy against anybody. Complacency won't do Jasper any good whatsoever regardless of who they play. If there was one word that could describe Jasper having state championship talent and never getting it done, complacency would be it. I'm not taking any teams for granted and no other Jasper fans or players should either.

j_dog
09-02-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by mojjo_1:
This should be another good test for Jasper. ... It takes 2 blockers on both Joree and Joseph, that leaves 9 on 7. ...

Yes, that is an awesome thought. I have not had a chance to watch them yet this year, but I can imagine it from last year. Paraphrasing what the Nederland coach said about Jasper speed, you just cannot appreciate it until you experience it. The same surely goes for Jorrie and Joesph. Question, have they also started using Joesph some on the offensive side? That should create even more mis-matches.

eye of the tiger
09-02-2002, 04:07 PM
I am starting to come around to the Jasper bandwagon. I still think the Div I final will be a rematch of Sinton and Everman, but Jasper will be in the hunt. I think Jasper wins this won easily.

[This message has been edited by eye of the tiger (edited September 02, 2002).]

Old Cardinal
09-02-2002, 06:01 PM
To Bulldog 92, Yes Newton will be tough, they should win State this year in Division II. But that's all academic, in this situation, in that you guys will be climbing the Div I bracket as about the largest enrollment school in 3A. Don't worry about Diboll, they were ranked #3 two seasons ago when BC went up there to scrimmage them- with a bunch of Sophmores(trying to re-build a dead-in-the-water program) I knew right then that 3A was a bit different that 4A. Last year, they(at a scrimmage) were the weakest team that BC encountered, in my opinion. Jasper, will be challenged a bit by both Newton and Silsbee, outside of that, its its clear sailing till you get deeper in the playoffs.

sinton66
09-02-2002, 06:51 PM
Old Cardinal, Collier-Sharp has Jasper by 21 over Silsbee. Other than that, I don't know enough to contribute here. Best of luck to Jasper!

Bulldog92
09-02-2002, 06:52 PM
I hope you're right, Old Card. We've had high expectations since the late 70's and it's time to fulfill them.

Birdman
09-02-2002, 07:53 PM
Silsbee's defensive line will be a formidable test for the Bulldogs, but I don't see Silsbee mounting enough offense to keep up with the Dogs. I too would go with Jasper by 21 but not without a struggle early on.

j_dog
09-02-2002, 09:37 PM
I have to go with my Dogs of course. But, there is more to this game than meets the casual eye. Talk about history! This has to be one of the longest running, continuous rivalries in Texas. If someone has the exact number of years, please tell us. If I remember correctly Jasper and Silsbee have played EVERY YEAR for at least the last 50 or 60 years. Maybe it is even longer. Well, not that I remember the games. I just remember READING that somewhere.

oldbuff78
09-03-2002, 09:08 AM
I like Jasper in this one.

Old Cardinal
09-03-2002, 12:05 PM
I think Birdman has it fiqured pretty close, some excellent linemen on both sides of the ball. Titans against Titans! Jasper will win because of Offensive speed and Silsbee will put up a good fight for a good while, but they just don't have a comparable Offensive threat. When BC scrimmaged them, it looked fairly dismal right at first, but when game conditions play took place; BC drove them back on a first-and-goal situation on four consecutive downs-not once but TWICE. And BC's offense clicked real well....Jasper's defense is stronger than BC's at the present time, they are not having to re-load on defense and develop players in this preseason play.

mojjo_1
09-03-2002, 12:44 PM
So far Joesph Bryant is playing only defense. I would like to see him play a few plays on offense. Just in case we have trouble there later in the season. When they put Joree in on defense against PNG they stop them. I believe Joesph could give the same boost to the offense.