PDA

View Full Version : Sports Moms......

Bullaholic
10-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Earlier, I put up a thread dedicated to the time coaches spend with our kids----This one is for all the sports moms. How in the world do these women work, keep house and cook, and still get their kids to all the practices and games---especially the ones that have more than 1 child, with maybe 1 in middle school and 1 in high school, and maybe a daughter in drill team or cheerleading? And this doesn't even take into consideration soccer or gymnastics nor midget football for the younger kids. My wife did it for years with a little help from me--thank goodness our kids were 4 years apart. It's your turn sports moms---what is your week like?

LH Panther Mom
10-08-2008, 06:58 AM
Nuts is a good description and I don't have to get kids somewhere usually.

Rabid Cougar
10-08-2008, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Earlier, I put up a thread dedicated to the time coaches spend with our kids----This one is for all the sports moms. How in the world do these women work, keep house and cook, and still get their kids to all the practices and games---especially the ones that have more than 1 child, with maybe 1 in middle school and 1 in high school?

They have husbands that work, keep house and cook and get kids to practice :clap:

RedWhiteBlue
10-08-2008, 07:31 AM
I agree- sometimes on Sundays after church.... I sit and wonder between load 6 and 7 of laundry---- how and the heck are we going to make it through another week???:eek:
My 7 year old has soccer practice on Monday- games on Saturday. My 7th grade daughter has 6:45 am practice every morning and games on Thursdays (at 5:00 pm in very accessible locations- like Sweetwater). My freshman plays on Thursday nights. They are all 3 at church constantly for 1 thing or another. And then of course it is varsity football on Friday nights. My husband's occupation (as most of you know) doesn't allow him to be around much at all.
There are people that criticize and say, "oh your family should just focus more on the family unit and cut back on outside activities." But, my family loves what we do. Right? J/K:D

txkmom
10-08-2008, 07:50 AM
It's crazy, but now that it's winding down for our family, I miss it! You keep lots of lists, buy lots of gas, and sometimes only get to parts of things, but I have loved it. We are a coaching family and a sports/arts family, so it's been endless.

pancho villa
10-08-2008, 08:03 AM
My last child is a senior and after this year of Football, Powerlifting, and Track Ms. Villa can finally relax. After the dishes are done.

Electus Unus
10-08-2008, 08:11 AM
I would like to send a special thanks to all the moms on this board and those who are not. Without you there would be no clean clothes, food on the table, or someone to support you through the good times along with the bad times.

44INAROW
10-08-2008, 08:30 AM
I am here to tell you, I survived ;) Thank heavens I was MUCH younger then. Son #1 started Little League in 1981 followed by #2 son in 1983 - Soccer, T Ball, Little League - then Jr High sports in 1987 and 1989 respectively on through high school. Then son # 3 comes along (12 years later OOPS) so we start all over again. Fortunately for me, the Soccer and Little League didn't overlap with the boys and the two oldest were close enough in age that they were usually on the same teams. Summer track was always fun (NOT) getting there at the crack of dawn.. The youngest son graduated in 2007 so I had a son in a Gobbler uniform for 20 consecutive years. Whew - where did the time go? That youngest one just about wore me out though (;) ) between football, baseball and golf, but we survived :) Now we are enjoying watching our oldest granddaughter play 7th grade volleyball and looking forward to her little sister playing softball in the spring. I'd like to give special thanks for SUBWAY, KN DRIVE IN and WHATABURGER for without them, we'd of starved many nights :p

Ranger Mom
10-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by txkmom
It's crazy, but now that it's winding down for our family, I miss it! You keep lots of lists, buy lots of gas, and sometimes only get to parts of things, but I have loved it. We are a coaching family and a sports/arts family, so it's been endless.

It took me a while to miss it, but I do. With 4 boys and a girl, it seemed I was busier when they were in Elementary school than anything.

I had 4 boys on 3 different football, basketball, and baseball teams and a daughter who cheered, played softball and basketball and took gymnastics.

As they got up into middle school, it seemed like constant games on Thursday, Fridays and all day Saturday.

In fact, when my husband and I got married, we just went to the JP and had to haul butt back to Greenwood because all 5 of our kids (who were on 3 different teams, one of which he coached) were all playing at the same time.

It's been a nice break, but I bought my 18 month old granddaughter her first T-Ball set last weekend!!:D :D

jason
10-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

It's been a nice break, but I bought my 18 month old granddaughter her first T-Ball set last weekend!!:D :D
should get her golf clubs instead

girls who can play decent golf = college scholarships

http://www.allkidsgolfclubs.com/ProductImages/accessories/SnoopyPlasticClubs.jpg

raider red 2000
10-08-2008, 08:45 AM
great job mom's

yall do make me worry...as my only son is 16 months old.

with 2 parents that coach....i guess we need to teach him to drive about the same time we get him into little league :)

Ranger Mom
10-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by jason
should get her golf clubs instead

girls who can play decent golf = college scholarships

http://www.allkidsgolfclubs.com/ProductImages/accessories/SnoopyPlasticClubs.jpg

As much as I don't really like baseball/softball.....I love it compared to golf!!!:D

If she gets any meaner, I think I'm gonna have to put her in wrestling or something....she is definitely NOT a girly girl!!!

I'm trying to find something she likes....her mom is talking about putting her in pageants!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

RedWhiteBlue
10-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
great job mom's

yall do make me worry...as my only son is 16 months old.

with 2 parents that coach....i guess we need to teach him to drive about the same time we get him into little league :)
Nope, don't worry about it- just take him on the road with you. The kids you coach will fall in love with him and they make great babysitters! :)

44INAROW
10-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
Nope, don't worry about it- just take him on the road with you. The kids you coach will fall in love with him and they make great babysitters! :)

I agree RWB -

txkmom
10-08-2008, 09:36 AM
What I didn't mention - as they get out of the house and still play sports, you want to follow them and can't as much. Will has been in Florida and Massachusetts since February, and I only got to see him at spring training and a week in September; Tom went to Lowell, MA for a week during the summer and caught some of his games. Lacey will be in Minnesota for her college years - I could kill her b/c of the distance! - but that's her choice and it is definitely a good match. My youngest (16) is talking New York. I am about to become a frequent flier (after I get a second job!). Withdrawal is a big B. Just have to go see them sometimes!

Buffgal
10-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Just two kids, boy and a girl.

My daughter is away @ college (Get your guns up, Red Raiders!) and my son is a junior. We have done horses,gymnastics, cheerleading, track, cross country, pole vault, select baseball, football and of course, don't forget deer hunting.

I have worn out four Suburbans and I pray every morning that my vehicle that I have now cranks. The money we have spent is hard to comprehend but the friendships and laughter are immeasureable.

Thank goodness for crock pots, over the years I have developed quite a recipe book for slow cookin dinners or many nights we all just had a bowl of cereal.

I would not trade the countless hours I have spent with my children and their teammates/friends for any amount of time in a spa or on a vacation. In fact, when I look @ my kids pictures on the refrigerator door, 8 yrs old & toothless, I would give everything I have to go back in time and start over.

You young parents out there. I remember how hard it is sometimes just to get everybody to practice, get them fed, try to wade through the house and find some clean clothes but try to savor each moment. They are gone so fast and you will never know, until you get there, how very much you will miss it.

44INAROW
10-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Buffgal

I would not trade the countless hours I have spent with my children and their teammates/friends for any amount of time in a spa or on a vacation. In fact, when I look @ my kids pictures on the refrigerator door, 8 yrs old & toothless, I would give everything I have to go back in time and start over.

You young parents out there. I remember how hard it is sometimes just to get everybody to practice, get them fed, try to wade through the house and find some clean clothes but try to savor each moment. They are gone so fast and you will never know, until you get there, how very much you will miss it.

Amen - words to remember!!!

ProudHornetMom
10-09-2008, 04:57 PM
I had difficulty getting pregnant. I would pray and as silly as it seems, I would bargain with God. One of my bargaining pleas was that if God would bless me with kids, I would never complain about driving them anywhere. That was just one bargain but one I've kept. I've enjoyed every minute of being a mom. It goes by much too quickly. Each age has been different and fun...occassionally worrisome but all in all very good.

I'm blessed to have a husband who pitches in and helps above and beyond. We're not June and Ward Clever but we get it done.
;)

Snyder_TigerFan
10-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Buffgal

My daughter is away @ college (Get your guns up, Red Raiders!) and my son is a junior. We have done horses,gymnastics, cheerleading, track, cross country, pole vault, select baseball, football and of course, don't forget deer hunting.

I have worn out four Suburbans and I pray every morning that my vehicle that I have now cranks. The money we have spent is hard to comprehend but the friendships and laughter are immeasureable.

Thank goodness for crock pots, over the years I have developed quite a recipe book for slow cookin dinners or many nights we all just had a bowl of cereal.

Nicely said....puts things in perspective. I get tons of joy watching my kids play sports....they're not at the HS level yet....but every year I look forward to each sport that they participate in and try to help them to become better. I know I'll miss it years from now when they've grown up. BTW....I'm not a mom. :)

3aSoftball4Mom
10-11-2008, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
It took me a while to miss it, but I do.

My childless, sports hating, older sister, has said to me numerous times, "Your season ended?? Well now you can get back to your life!"
WHAT???? :confused: :confused: What does that even mean?
(I think she was adopted. ;) )

I have always been the parent that went to everything, the one with the camera taking pics of all the players, the mom that always brought "the everything bag". But I love it! My youngest daughter played tournament softball and Club Volleyball as well as her school sports, was a cheerleader in jr. high, took gymnastics and dance, had pitching and hitting lessons in two different cities, not to mention practices (and made straight A's). I don't know how we did it and I don't know how parents manage it all with more than one child!!! Bless you. Whew!! It's wearing me out just thinking back on it. BUT, I wouldn't trade those times for anything and if I given the chance to do it all over, I wouldn't change a thing on my part. (She might, though) :D

Over the years, I don't know how many loads of clothes I washed and dried after midnight, while everyone else got sleep.
The money that has been spent at fast food establishments, we should ALL own stock in them. And who knows how many parent/coaches shirts that my husband and I own with different team names on them. I could go on and on......
Spending incalculable hours with my daughter and her friends/teammates is pricless. Those are memories that will be cherished forever.

If I was asked to give advice to a "new to sports parent" with a younger child, my words of wisdom would be:
**don't take the sport so seriously, that you ruin their enjoyment of the game. If they don't enjoy their sport, they will cease to put forth any quality effort to perform well.
And don't you forget to enjoy it. It really does go by so fast.
You all know what I mean. :D

My baby is a senior now and I'm worn out, but I wish I could go back, I really miss all of those special times together...
We are however, appreciating and treasuring each moment of this last year in high school, especially her sports. And if we're lucky, she can continue one of her sports at a higher level.

If not, there is always my new grandaughter.
Watch out future refs and umps,

I'll be a serious grandma in the stands!!!
:devil: :devil: :devil:

Buffgal
10-11-2008, 08:10 AM
I would like to pass on to our younger parents two special pieces of advice that I received from a couple of friends much wiser than myself:

1. When your kid finishes a sporting event, the only comment/question you ask is "what do you want to eat?" That is your only job. I have stuck to this religiously, only adding during football especially, "are you ok?"

2. as I rocked a crying sick kid for 3 days and nights, missing work and my housework falling down around me,My mother in laws words of wisdom ...."You can work and clean when you get old, just kick it out of the way, that baby needs your attention." Your babies still need your attention, even when they're taller than you and driving.

Bullaholic
10-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Without being "sappy", I'd just like to say how much I have enjoyed reading all the heartfelt responses from all you moms that we never get to hear from on the 3ADL because most of you never post on most of the game threads. God Bless you all---there is no way any of us men could begin to do your jobs, and you assure our kids a loving, nurturing environment in which to grow up. That goes a long, long way towards giving kids the confidence and security they need to succeed in all of life's endeavors from athletics to eventually earning a living, and parenthood.

TigerFan51
10-11-2008, 10:13 PM
I've tried to put it in the back of my mind, I suppose, but my baby will be graduating this year so it's my last year to see him play. His season ended early last year due to an injury so he missed the majority of his Junior year and he was unsure if he'd be able to come back this year...but he did. It's been hectic since he was in 7th grade between football and soccer but a trip I'd gladly make again. There was a time when I was making three football games a week...my son's, and my "adopted" sons' games too!

We also have kept the fast food places in business and my house has also suffered as well. I'd like to shout out to any other single moms who have made the journey all on their own as I have with no spouse to help out...it hasn't been an easy road to say the least but one which I've certainly enjoyed and would gladly do all over again. I've only missed two, maybe three, of my son's games in all these years due to unforseeable circumstance and regret not being there for those. Should've married a football coach, huh, and then I'd always have been able to be involved in the game, lol! I love just watching the team practice...the actual game is just icing on the cake! My Mom has fussed and griped at me over the years for all the time I've spent involved with football but then she hates football, lol! She doesn't understand why I love it so much...

I'll miss seeing my son take the field next year. Senior night will be especially emotional but a very proud moment as well! It has been an honor and a privilege to be able to have a child participating in Texas high school football! It is over all too soon and seems like only yesterday when it all began! For those of you just starting out...please savor each and every precious moment...