PDA

View Full Version : Audibles?

Bullaholic
10-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Kep's "Football 101" thread inspired me to ask---How many high school teams use audibles or hand signals to change the play called before the snap? I think that is the purpose of the "look to me" 2nd look at the sideline with spread and no huddle teams.

Necks_Fan
10-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Kep's "Football 101" thread inspired me to ask---How many high school teams use audibles or hand signals to change the play called before the snap? I think that is the purpose of the "look to me" 2nd look at the sideline with spread and no huddle teams. We do something at the line. I have no idea what exactly they are calling.....

But we huddle, get to the line, then we change stuff... use motion and waste about every available second we have then..... then it's usually a run up the midlle.

Takes WAY too long to get a play in.

Brings me to another point.

WC needs to work on a 2 minute offense as well.

It's about a 5 mintue offense right now.

raider red 2000
10-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
We do something at the line. I have no idea what exactly they are calling.....

But we huddle, get to the line, then we change stuff... use motion and waste about every available second we have then..... then it's usually a run up the midlle.

Takes WAY too long to get a play in.

Brings me to another point.

WC needs to work on a 2 minute offense as well.

It's about a 5 mintue offense right now.

maybe show up on a saturday morning...and ask them to explain it to you....it isnt that complicated....being the expert you are on judging talent and stuff, i am sure you could pick it right up.

how do you know if it is actually taking too long to get the play in????
are you familiar enough with the game plans weekly to know what the coaches are trying to accomlish with each play.

crabman
10-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Cuero plays their first five games or so calling one play with the ability to audible at the line. Somewhere around mid-season they start pairing plays with the QB opting out to the proper play. Around the first or second week of the playoffs they start calling three plays in certain circumstances with the QB still checking off to the proper play. It gets pretty complicated from what I have heard.

At least that is the way it was done in 2004 on the run to state.

roughneck_2008
10-07-2008, 10:14 PM
ok neck_fan, let me explain to u how that works. we have the formation set and can choose between the basic plays like counter,blast,g,toss. its a whole variety of plays and u choose a play on how the d lines up and where u can exploit a hole to give u the most yards. now a coach either sits at the far end of the field to see whats the d-line looks like or the coach in the booth tells them what the defense looks like. so this whole process takes time, and u can even change the direction, it takes alot of work to get down and remember everythin, so u might see it as they just run up the middle, sometimes its someone didnt pay attention and didnt pull or anything. like if u have a guy lined up in a 1 and say a 4i, u run blast right behind the guard, its all how they think the plays will give them the best yards and how well its been workin and what the defense gives u