PDA

View Full Version : Your feeling???

cajun1
11-02-2003, 01:22 PM
My boys are real close and the youngest is a senior in high school which is doing pretty good at QB and the oldest one is a Junior in college.
Earlier in the season the oldest one asked the Coach if he could go watch his younger brother on Friday then return to play for the college that night and he told the coach that his girl friend mother and father would be driving so he could rest on the way back. The coach reply was no but, later on my son decided to go any way because his little brother looks up to him and he knew if he showed up for the friday night game that his brother would be happy because he had not got to see him play at all his senior year.
Well here comes the bad news he did make his brother happy but, when got ready for his game the next day the Head coach wouldn't let him play!
All the defences coach understood an had no problem him going but, the head coach did.
From my stand point he must not be a close family person an this didn't interfere with his schedule so I don't see the problem...
I told my son as you get older you will see more people like that and all you can do is grit your teeth and smile because they have the power to do things like that and you can't do anything about it. life goes on...

Gobbla2001
11-02-2003, 01:24 PM
Family before anything else...

20dawgz05
11-02-2003, 02:44 PM
FAMILY ALWAYS COMES FIRST!!!!!!!!...thats crazy

20dawgz05
11-02-2003, 02:44 PM
FAMILY ALWAYS COMES FIRST!!!!!!!!...thats crazy... maybe he needa a hug hahah!

ctownqb
11-02-2003, 04:40 PM
On our team we didnt have practice one day last week while preparing for sealy because the whole team went to the funeral of a fellow team mates father to give the player support. Our head coach told us that sometimes there are alot more important things than football and he was glad we took care of those things first.

lepfan
11-02-2003, 05:31 PM
There are always people like that that we have to face...it is very frustrating to do so but I say it just prepares you for the next horse's rear down the road. The head coach obviously had his reasons for his decision...although we do not have to agree with them...He was the man in charge... Good for you son...I am glad he chose to make his brother happy!!!

Chief Woodman
11-02-2003, 05:58 PM
Let try to see some things from the coaches perspective. If the rule is no travel or there is a curfew before a game, then the coach was right to do what he did. Despite what those who are not in charge say, every time you make an exception to a rule, it just makes things more complicated. You want an exception because of family reasons. With that as a guidline, a teamate might want to skip a practice or break a rule so he can attend his 2 year old nieces birthday party. Where would it end? Soon the players wil be running the program instead of the coaches.
Your son knew what the rule was...and chose to do what he wanted. If seeing his brother play is that important to make him break his word to follow the team rules, then maybe he should quit college football. Playing there is a privledge, not a right.
I work for a fire department and sometimes my shift falls on Christmas day, along with 1/3 of the men in my city. What if we all said family is more important and no one went to work that day- who would help your family if they were in a car wreck in our city?
The principle is the same...when I joined the department I knew that ment sometimes I would miss family functions and holidays, and I agreed to the terms. To break the rules is breaking my word and commitment to others. If it is too big of a burden, I can quit at anytime. Your son knew and agreed to the rules, and now has broken his word and you feel sorry for him and think that somehow he was mistreated. He broke his word, so no, he is not being mistreated. Your son has the right to make a choice. He can choose to do what those who have authority over him say to do, or disobey. He chose to disobey, so let him be a responsible person and accept the consequences without complaint. I am not trying to be rude, just offer a different perspective for you to consider.
The choice is quite simple. If football at college is important, let your word be your bond. If that is too complicated to do, then quit so you can do what is more important to you without rebeling against authority.

lepfan
11-02-2003, 06:33 PM
woodman....your signature contradicts what you just said :p

BrahmaMom
11-02-2003, 07:18 PM
I would think that at some point in the college schedule they had an open date, that would have been the best time to see a varsity game. I would guess that when the choice was made after a "No" had been given, it was known that there would be consequences. This dilemma is heading my way in a few years, so some good ultimately came out of your son's situation. First, he got to see his brother play, which will always be special to the younger one. Second, it prepared me for what I'll be facing. No consolation, I know, for your older son, but some good did come from it. I have always tried to encourage my children to honor their commitments, like Chief said, there are sacrifices and choices made with those commitments. The best way would've been to see his brother play on his open week, I for one will remember that!

BigChamp05
11-03-2003, 12:27 PM
We always had football practice on Saturdays after a game, but our coaches would let me go at least 3 or 4 times a year up to Oklahoma to watch my brother play.

cajun1
11-03-2003, 05:29 PM
I want to thank all your inputs and this is a learning thing for us and I aswell no that there are rules to follow.
My oldest loves the game of football and he also loves his younger brother but, he made that decision and I guess as you would put it he paid the price. He can live with it and play another day.
It's funny when a team is winning rules sometimes change but, when you are losing all rules are by the book because the coach is not happy.
Again thanks for your input.