PDA

View Full Version : Police Pulling You Over to Give You a Gift Card?

kepdawg
10-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Traffic stop in Little Elm may yield gift card rather than ticket

12:28 PM CDT on Tuesday, October 7, 2008

By CAITLIN MYERS / The Dallas Morning News

The flashing lights of a police car behind you on the road may not be a bad thing in Little Elm.

The town’s police department, with help from the Little Elm Police Officers Association, is launching a new incentive program this month to encourage safe driving, handing out gift cards rather than tickets, said Little Elm police Sgt. Brad Wilcox.

Local businesses including Starbucks, Sonic and Firehouse Subs donated gift cards and coupons to the program started by association president and officer Matt Mentemeier.

The police department’s 23 officers will look for drivers abiding often-overlooked laws like stopping completely at a stop sign and using a turn signal to change lanes.

“People always say we only notice what they’re doing wrong,” Sgt. Wilcox said. “Now we’re trying to notice what they’re doing right.”

According to Sgt. Wilcox, the department gives out 400 tickets a month and responds to about 200 traffic accidents a year— numbers, he said, the program intends to decrease.

Sgt. Wilcox on Monday made the first two good-driver stops -- one for properly using a turn signal, the other for wearing a seat belt.

“The man wearing a seat belt said it was a bright ending to a bad Monday,” Sgt. Wilcox said.

Officers will evaluate the program’s effectiveness at the end of the year, deciding whether to make it an annual endeavor.

waterboy
10-07-2008, 03:20 PM
That's never happened to me!:mad: The only time they ever pull me over is when they want ME to make a donation to their donut fund!:D

JR2004
10-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
The only time they ever pull me over is when they want ME to make a donation to their donut fund!:D

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

This is actually pretty cool of Little Elm's police department to do this.

waterboy
10-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

This is actually pretty cool of Little Elm's police department to do this.
Yeah, it is. I still don't like the idea of getting pulled over for doing something right! I probably ain't in any danger of that happening to me anyway, lol!:D

espn1
10-07-2008, 10:15 PM
That means they'll be writing more tickets to cover the gift cards! Yet another way to bastardize the legal system! I don't need a Gift Card, I just need'em to stay out of my friggen business!