View Full Version : Argyle vs. Prosper

charlesrixey
10-07-2008, 11:50 AM
both teams lost to bridgeport by six

both teams have virtually identical overall defensive ypg #'s

Passing/Running/Average

Argyle 514 631 229.0
Prosper 663 484 229.4

Both QB's are right next to each other in the rankings of 3A-others total yardage:

Chad Hedlund, Argyle 5 66-110-7 881 8.0 9
Hunter Nix, Prosper 5 42-87-4 726 8.3 9

their top RB's are right next to each other:

Bryan Monroe, Prosper 5 72 513 7.1 4
Kyle Frizzell, Argyle 5 90 503 5.6 4

this is going to be a good game, no question. Prosper's O averages nearly a hundred more ypg than Argyle, and Argyle relies more on the pass than the run

Prosper has played a somewhat easier schedule overall
Queen City W 59 - 0
Farmersville W 43 - 6
Bridgeport L 31 - 37
Frisco W 43 - 6
Decatur W 34 - 21

--Argyle has already played (not in order)
Burkburnett (14-26)
Bridgeport (24-30)
Vernon (28-14)
Iowa Park (44-6)
Decatur (51-0)

The numbers suggest this will be a close one-what do you think?

of course, the decatur game is a big difference

info from DMN's site

BobcatBenny
10-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Put a "2" in Prosper's "L" column.

Budman007
10-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Our Bulls did beat both of them by 6. Both are good teams.
I would give an advantage to Prosper for their offense and to Argyle on defense. Prosper could very well beat both Argyle and Celina this year. Prosper wins this game in a shoot out.

gatordaze
10-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Budman007
Our Bulls did beat both of them by 6. Both are good teams.
I would give an advantage to Prosper for their offense and to Argyle on defense. Prosper could very well beat both Argyle and Celina this year. Prosper wins this game in a shoot out.

Based upon those two games and the scrimmage with Celina, do you have a feel for how these 3 teams compare?

Budman007
10-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Advantage Prosper-QB, Overall Offense
Advantage Argyle-D Line (#15 is an absolute beast)
Advantage Celina-Best running game but maybe the weakest D Line of the 3?

It's very hard for me to go against Celina cause I love their style of play and tradition, but I truly believe that Prosper will challenge Celina this year with Argyle losing to both.

charlesrixey
10-07-2008, 02:59 PM

It's very hard for me to go against Celina cause I love their style of play and tradition, but I truly believe that Prosper will challenge Celina this year with Argyle losing to both.

something tells me celina is woke up bigtime vs Whitehouse

plus, they have their offense complete for the first time this year, and they have only played on 3A opponent so far-Lytle, which is not a good indicator of their ability

if they come out and lay the wood to sanger, which i think they will (30+ point differential) then i say they will beat argyle and prosper by 3 TD's apiece

charlesrixey
10-07-2008, 03:02 PM
prosper and argyle present different challenges, but as long as celina can stuff their run i think the bobcat pass defense is good enough to keep prosper and argyle down

prosper will likely be somewhat more difficult, since they are going to dare celina to stop them on the ground (which is where they are stronger than Argyle, in my opinion) and they seem to be a slightly more polished team right now

Bullaholic
10-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
prosper and argyle present different challenges, but as long as celina can stuff their run i think the bobcat pass defense is good enough to keep prosper and argyle down

I agree with Budman's assessments of Argyle and Prosper--both pretty good, but I think the Argyle "D", especially because of #15 will beat Prosper. Celina will have to play very well to beat either.

BobcatBenny
10-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Every year there are big predictions for Prosper. Everyone thinks they will dominate. Every year I just roll my eyes and tell them wait and see.

Eventually they will be right, but Prosper will need to prove it to ol' Benny.

So, I am going to have to say, "Argyle gives Prosper the old fashioned high school football beat down." :eek:

gatordaze
10-07-2008, 03:11 PM

So based upon the fact that Celina easily handled Bridgeport again in our annual pre-season scrimmage and then Bridgeport went on to beat both Prosper and Argyle, you think Prosper can hang with Celina?

Celina scored 63 last year with nearly the same offense. Do you envison Prosper putting up 60+ points on a defense that you scored once against on a big play in the scrimmage?

Budman007
10-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Gatordaze, you asked me how the 3 teams stacked up based on our 2 games and 1 scrimmage against them, and I gave you my honest assessment. I DO NOT see Celina hanging 60+ pts on either Prosper or Argyle this year. BTW, Bridgeport's offense scored 3 td's in the Celina scrimmage and our RB averaging well over 100yds/game sat out. I would'nt put too much weight on a scrimmage though. I think Bridgeport, Prosper, and Argyle can all hang with Celina this year.

I guess we'll see???

charlesrixey
10-07-2008, 03:58 PM
celina beat prosper 62-13 last year

does this mean a whole lot? no

but, if celina is 80-85% of last year right now, and prosper has only changed so much, as long as celina stuffs the eagles' run i don't think Prosper will score more than 21 (probably less), and Celina is good enough to hang 40+ on their defense

we haven't played argyle since 05, but given that their defense is decent and their offense has done more against us than prosper's (more well-rounded), i could see 42-28 or 35-21 against Argyle. If we aren't as ready as i think we are, the bobcats could struggle more, but i feel a lot more confident than i did a few weeks ago

CHS_89
10-07-2008, 04:05 PM
IMO, we did not "handle" Bridgeport in the scrimmage. It was a scrimmage, not a real game, therefore, not much can be said about it as far as I'm concerned.

I think we are in for some really good games in Prosper and Argyle based on what I've seen of us this year. I can only hope the return of #22 will open the offense up a little more. Our "D" played a pretty good game against WH, but there's still lots of work to do.

I think Sanger will come in fired up and ready to play. Can't wait to see the game. Good luck all!!!!

Pick6
10-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by CHS_89
IMO, we did not "handle" Bridgeport in the scrimmage. It was a scrimmage, not a real game, therefore, not much can be said about it as far as I'm concerned.

I think we are in for some really good games in Prosper and Argyle based on what I've seen of us this year. I can only hope the return of #22 will open the offense up a little more. Our "D" played a pretty good game against WH, but there's still lots of work to do.

I think Sanger will come in fired up and ready to play. Can't wait to see the game. Good luck all!!!!

You are one of few posters from Celina that almost make's me want to root for them.

pirate4state
10-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Is this an Argyle/Prosper thread or a Celina thread? :thinking: ;)

How can you not root for the Argyle Socks? :D

Pick6
10-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

Hey P4S, It's the Argyle Eagles. Jeez :taunt:

pirate4state
10-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Hey P4S, It's the Argyle Eagles. Jeez :taunt: :o my bad...GO ARGYLE EAGLES!

CHS_89
10-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Bring it on P6. Popcorn's on me. Now back to the thread (sorry P4S, lol).

Argyle beats Prosper by 3 TD's. Nix and Co. are shut down by the relentless Argyle D, Prosper gets frustrated, game over. How dat?

CHS_89
10-07-2008, 04:25 PM

Argyle socks it to Prosper. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Pick6
10-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by CHS_89
Bring it on P6. Popcorn's on me. Now back to the thread (sorry P4S, lol).

Argyle beats Prosper by 3 TD's. Nix and Co. are shut down by the relentless Argyle D, Prosper gets frustrated, game over. How dat?

If you can gurantee me a front row parking spot in Celina I'll be there :D

Argyle wins by 12.

BILLYFRED0000
10-07-2008, 04:28 PM
I think Hunter beats argyle this year. He is a senior and has played well the last two years. I think he is more polished and ready

BleedOrange
10-07-2008, 04:31 PM
I will go with Argyle in this one by 10. Althugh it would not bother me to have Prosper play Celina being undefeated in district. I am certain we would see another witty t-shirt like "Celina Who". They would likely get another answer to that in depth question.

Budman007
10-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Hunter Nix, the Prosper QB, is far and away the best QB Bridgeport has faced so far this year. I would'nt underestimate this year's Prosper team with that young man at the helm.

BullsFan
10-07-2008, 10:36 PM
I'd take Argyle over Prosper. Based on my opinion only, which is that Argyle played like a more experienced, mature team than Prosper did, and I thought they gave us more of a game than Prosper did. And I felt like the Bulls played as a better team against Argyle, which may also be part of the reason I'd take Argyle over Prosper.

All my opinion, of course.

slpybear the bullfan
10-07-2008, 11:10 PM
WOW...

Asking a Bridgeport fan to say which "Eagles" team is better is... is... is... well, its like asking which tastes better: dirt or mud?

LOL...

Both teams are good. Quick squads. Both defenses were open for an offense that can throw and run. Both offenses were multipronged, though I think Argyles was better executed.

I think Argyle's big receiver makes the difference in this one...

Argyle - negative 21
Prosper - negative 31

PS - On the bright side of it, I guess the Eagles will lose on Friday nite?

charlesrixey
10-07-2008, 11:21 PM
well, they both beat the eagles of decatur!

should be good enough !;)

swstangs001
10-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Hunter Nix, the Prosper QB, is far and away the best QB Bridgeport has faced so far this year. I would'nt underestimate this year's Prosper team with that young man at the helm.

I picked prosper bc i know they have a D coordinator that will have them ready

slpybear the bullfan
10-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
well, they both beat the eagles of decatur!

should be good enough !;)

You do have a good point, Rixey! That is why my mantra is...

two iggles down...
one to go!

BurkFan
10-08-2008, 04:51 PM

Argyle was a decent team. I have never seen Celina or Prosper play (hopefully we can schedule that game next year)

Did not like the jerk fan in the stands for Argyle blowing his air horn everytime our QB went back to pass. Some people JUST DONT GET IT.

Prosper by 3