PDA

View Full Version : 3Adownlow town hall forum

Pages : [1] 2

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 08:57 AM
I may be opening up a can of worms here and reserve the right to close this thread at any time, but......

I have noticed lots of grumbling here lately, albeit from the younger posters, about the "rules."

What is it exactly that makes the rules so hard to abide by? I may not agree 100% with all of them, but know (from past experiences) why they were put into place.

Please let me know your thoughts and reasons on why you think the rules are "too harsh."

And any of you that have no problem with the rules, please feel free to jump in and say so!!:D :D

jason
10-07-2008, 08:58 AM
some of them are stupid

and

only some of them are enforced some of the time

BOCEPHUS
10-07-2008, 09:01 AM
WE DON'T NEED NO STINK'EN RULES:stirpot:

I GOES BY THE RULES, REMEMBER WHAT HAPPEN TO 'DIRT ROAD"

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by jason
some of them are stupid

and

only some of them are enforced some of the time

Thanks for clearing that up!!:rolleyes:

What is offensive to me may not be offensive to Rita or Debbie (or vice versa) and they may handle it completely different than I would!! We aren't behind the scenes discussing each and every perceived infraction....although we seem to do that quite a bit too!

jason
10-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Thanks for clearing that up!!:rolleyes:

What is offensive to me may not be offensive to Rita or Debbie (or vice versa) and they may handle it completely different than I would!! there lies the problem -

you ask why the rules are hard to abide by, but when they are interpreted 5 different ways by 5 different people, and somebody 'violates' a rule one day when one mod is on so they get away with it, and they do the same thing the next day when a different mod is on, they get banned.....

the board 'leadership' :rolleyes: is too inconsistent - you have some who rule with an iron fist and a few who will say 'i think thats funny but watch it next time'........

inconsistency..........

i kind of like being able to vent.......

cshscougar08
10-07-2008, 09:07 AM
I personally don't have an issue with anything. The no college thread was a bit perplexing at first, but it made sense when you (actually LHPM) mentioned all the junk that gets thrown around with that. So it's all good with me!!!! That no college thread rule is saving me a lot of smack with UT people. ;)

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 09:10 AM
there lies the problem -

you ask why the rules are hard to abide by, but when they are interpreted 5 different ways by 5 different people, and somebody 'violates' a rule one day when one mod is on so they get away with it, and they do the same thing the next day when a different mod is on, they get banned.....

the board 'leadership' :rolleyes: is too inconsistent - you have some who rule with an iron fist and a few who will say 'i think thats funny but watch it next time'........

inconsistency..........

i kind of like being able to vent.......

I agree somewhat......I haven't seen anyone get "banned" in a long time unless it was just a flagrant disregard for the rules and ALL of us mods would have agreed on.....so I think you are exaggerating a bit there!!

957tiger
10-07-2008, 09:13 AM
I am one of the new guys on 3adl. I enjoy the comments, observations and discussions. I have seen other similiar sites go down in flames as a result of name calling, threats, profanity and a general lack of respect. The rules as I have read seem pretty straight forward. I for one enjoy this type of format. The information provided is great and would otherwise be hard to come by. Good job moderators

raider red 2000
10-07-2008, 09:21 AM
this place is cool.

rules are good....mods are good.....some posters are retards...like me at times....some have some good knowledge.

my wife thinks i am addicted.....so she dosnt like it.

Txbroadcaster
10-07-2008, 09:22 AM
For the most part the rules are basic rules u see anywhere

as far as the college rule..another site I am on went the other way..instead of shutting them down it was announced that the college threads were open and enter at your own risk and if you dish it, you must be able to take it

It actually worked and the threads cleaned themselves up

Both styles work just all depends on what the admin want

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Thanks for that!!

The main reason I did this is because I wanted to look at some things.

It has been up roughly 20 minutes and has 65 views.

In addition to the original post, it has 2 responses from me, 2 from Jason and 3 from other posters.

Just in that time, I believe it is as I have previously thought.....there is only a handful of posters that have a problem with the rules.

No rule was ever put into place for no reason....there was always SOMETHING that forced us to go back and look at it!!

Bullaholic
10-07-2008, 09:27 AM
While rules may "cramp" the style of some, and nobody appreciates a good board personality more than me, we have to remember that this board has perpetuated when many others have not. Why? Because the board leadership has refused to compromise the quality of their product. Again, this policy may irritate or seem heavy-handed at times, but it has preserved the board's overall integrity and insured a long lifespan for the board. The old saying "A few bad apples can spoil the barrel" is very applicable to public forums.

Recently, Ed Hocculi one of the NFL's best refs, blew a game-changing call in the San Diego game a couple of weeks ago. He reacted wrongly on the play with an early whistle prior to an obvious San Diego fumble recovery and San Diego probably lost the game because of it. My point? Our mods are no different than Ed Hocculi---they call rule infractions according to their understanding of the board's rules and occasionally might blow a call with an "early" whistle, but in the main, get most calls right and as a result we, the Texas high school football fans, are beneficiary of a very uniquely personable, fun, and informative forum for our mutual enjoyment anytime we want.

Txbroadcaster
10-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks for that!!

The main reason I did this is because I wanted to look at some things.

It has been up roughly 20 minutes and has 65 views.

In addition to the original post, it has 2 responses from me, 2 from Jason and 3 from other posters.

Just in that time, I believe it is as I have previously thought.....there is only a handful of posters that have a problem with the rules.

No rule was ever put into place for no reason....there was always SOMETHING that forced us to go back and look at it!!

I think the new attitude of the new admin shocked some 3DL folks

Before the change of ownership this was the site you came to where u can find all the game links you wanted, all the ratings links you wanted and also articles and whatnot. This site was almost an RSS feeder to other sites.

Now with the admin wanting 3DL to produce it's own content and therefore shutting out the adding of any links from any site it has caused a bit of adjusting for the average folks who came here for that very reason. At one point 3DL was a gateway to information, now the gatekeeper to an extent is blocking some of that info

I am not saying it is bad in anyway, just takes time to get used to

jason
10-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I think the new attitude of the new admin shocked some 3DL folks

Before the change of ownership this was the site you came to where u can find all the game links you wanted, all the ratings links you wanted and also articles and whatnot. This site was almost an RSS feeder to other sites.

Now with the admin wanting 3DL to produce it's own content and therefore shutting out the adding of any links from any site it has caused a bit of adjusting for the average folks who came here for that very reason. At one point 3DL was a gateway to information, now the gatekeeper to an extent is blocking some of that info

I am not saying it is bad in anyway, just takes time to get used to

i agree - the taking down of 'unapproved links' is dumb - the rules say links to sites in direct competition of the 3adl are banned, but this is a non-profit site, there is no competition.....

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 09:34 AM
i agree - the taking down of 'unapproved links' is dumb - the rules say links to sites in direct competition of the 3adl are banned, but this is a non-profit site, there is no competition.....

I can't even address that because I have never really understood it myself....maybe someone that knows a little more about the rationale behind it can answer it!

Txbroadcaster
10-07-2008, 09:38 AM
I can't even address that because I have never really understood it myself....maybe someone that knows a little more about the rationale behind it can answer it!

Well the basic idea is if your wanting a site to sale advertising and provide original content then you limit the ability of other sites to "free" advertising by posting links on your message board

The only problem with that on this site is that 3DL was built as basically a free flow message board where people come to find out what sites have rankings, what sites broadcast games and things like that. As a group the people get used to comeing here agian as a gateway to finding info about 3A teams across the state

Bull19
10-07-2008, 09:41 AM
there lies the problem -

inconsistency..........

i kind of like being able to vent....... thats well put. this used to be a forum where u could express your opinion and now if some certain people disagree with it they automatically remove it, bash u, ban u from a thread, etc. if this is an open forum u should be able to express ur opinions without being scared about offending somebody. is that not what an open forum is made for? i can understand no cursing rules, taking personal shots at people, but when u talk about a team with facts, and ur own opinions about a game and people still get offended their is something wrong. just my two cents. too bad they dont mean anything

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Okay....so far, some don't like the rules about links.

Some think we mods are inconsistent.

Haven't really heard much about the new college rule.

Out of ALL the rules, these are the only problems??

Wow....we are doing GREAT then!!:p :p:clap:

Bullaholic
10-07-2008, 09:48 AM

Wow....we are doing GREAT then!!:p :p:clap:

Well, there is this problem of these 3 women who keep coming out of the kitchen a lot to talk football with the men....:D

Bull19
10-07-2008, 09:49 AM

Wow....we are doing GREAT then!!:p :p:clap: i think the college rule is alright esp since every thread that as to do with texas schools gets outa hand fast. maybe the college rule could be limited to just texas schools though?

Txbroadcaster
10-07-2008, 09:50 AM
I think College should get its own section and let it be open..no cursing of course, but everything else is fair game

jason
the 'no college' rule is dumb too....

or you could move them to the non-sports forum that way nobody sees them therefore they dont need monitored as closely.......

Texasfootball2
In my opinion here's the bottom line.

Anything that is as popular and successful as the DL is must be doing something right. All the other boards just flat suck!:tongue: :taunt: so I say great job gals and keep up the good work.:D

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 10:10 AM
1,211 views and 22 responses!!:eek:

bigYoe
10-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Even though i have just recently become a member i've been looking and getting on here since 2003. I love the site and enjoy everything even if the rules are there. Obviously the rules are made to be enforced and someone with Seniority shouldnt have to ask to kick someone off if they are young and inexperienced. The rules are okay to me and i have no concerns. Thank you 3ADL

BILLYFRED0000
10-07-2008, 10:17 AM
I would go with the college forum being enter at your own risk. No bashing of players and or coaches but after that watch out.

I have no real dog in the hunt since I myself only pay a small amount of attention to college ball.

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by bigYoe
Even though i have just recently become a member i've been looking and getting on here since 2003. I love the site and enjoy everything even if the rules are there. Obviously the rules are made to be enforced and someone with Seniority shouldnt have to ask to kick someone off if they are young and inexperienced. The rules are okay to me and i have no concerns. Thank you 3ADL

That is one of the new features that I absolutely LOVE. Back in the "old days" we had two choices, ban a person or leave them on the board.

We had no way to ban them from a certain thread, send a warning, suspend for a set amount of time, etc.

If you get banned on the downlow these days, you have screwed up BIG TIME!! (Not counting those who have asked that their username be banned.)

Some talk about inconsistency, if anything, we are way too lenient and probably give way too many chances.

Watch out....you may get what you ask for!!!:devil: :devil:

themsu97
10-07-2008, 10:21 AM
I viewed, I read, and I really do not have a problem with anything... this board is great and I like it...

except for all the non important stuff that Phil C posts sometimes;)

but I would like to see some college threads reappear

ronwx5x
10-07-2008, 10:22 AM

I certainly may be wrong, but it was my understanding that it was a "reciprocal" thing. If some other site did not allow a link to 3ADL, we reciprocated. If they did allow a link to 3ADL, we again reciprocated. That makes sense to me so I am probably as wrong as one can be!

Another thought is that 3ADL exists to be a forum, not a forwarding address. While we welcome new members, we don't offer to send them to another, competing, site. As far as being "non-profit", we probably will never have a link to a pay site and vice versa.

BwdLion73
10-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Since I had never been to this site until Brownood came home to 3A, and am new member, I spend most of my time reading and trying to figure out who is who and why some posters seem to diagree with others simply because of who they are.

I like the idea of a site where someone is watching and rules are enforced. I read and understood the rules before I joined and after a few months became a donating member once I saw that it was not just a site where kids came on to slander and call out other posters.

There is always room for improvement and apparently this post shows that someone cares about the quality of the site. As rules change I can adjust or leave.

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
I certainly may be wrong, but it was my understanding that it was a "reciprocal" thing. If some other site did not allow a link to 3ADL, we reciprocated. If they did allow a link to 3ADL, we again reciprocated. That makes sense to me so I am probably as wrong as one can be!

No...you are right as far as that goes. There are some of the "bigger" sites that we use that I would be surprised if they have a link leading back here.

That is why I let the more knowledgeable mods handle that link aspect....I don't ever look at other sites polls anyway! I happen to think we have the best and most accurate one right here!!!:inlove:

sahen
10-07-2008, 10:30 AM
i have been here for a good while now, the only rule that i have a beef with is the new college rule...make another forum like the nonsports forum or something there were ALOT of people that talked college and highschool football...as much stuff that is non-football related gets talked about on this forum i think we could make room for college football....its like the few idiots ruin it for the rest of us, run the idiots off or make a new college section where the rules are tweaked a little differently....

heck you could even make the college section w/ the same rules as the highschool football section and if someone goes over the top you could ban them from that section....i dunno, just saying there are other ways to go about it than jsut killing it all together....

one other question, the only time since i have been on here that i have gotten a warning was when i used "..." in a post, the mod that warned me may have just warned me cause someone flagged the post but i have seen tons of "..."s and even curse words spelled w/ "#$#@" etc used on here go unflagged, what is the deal with that?

DUDE if you got "flagged" for it in the past WHY would you put it in again? ~ I'm sorry, but ANYTIME I see *** I edit it. Some mods, "flag" it like I am here and others just edit out. The next time you see something like that posted, REPORT IT!! We don't read EVERY single post! ~p4s

oh and just because you don't see the "flag" doesn't mean it didn't get issued via PM.

pirate4state
10-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Bull19
thats well put. this used to be a forum where u could express your opinion and now if some certain people disagree with it they automatically remove it, bash u, ban u from a thread, etc. if this is an open forum u should be able to express ur opinions without being scared about offending somebody. is that not what an open forum is made for? i can understand no cursing rules, taking personal shots at people, but when u talk about a team with facts, and ur own opinions about a game and people still get offended their is something wrong. just my two cents. too bad they dont mean anything

This is still a forum where you can express your opinion, but if your opinion is XYZ team SUCKS and they are just AWFUL, what is the point in that? We are all here because we love HS football. IMO, this is not how you promote or express your love of HS football.

I've been guilty of saying stuff like "God, we suck"; "Sheesh, have you seen XYZ team? Man, they are awful!", but I say that stuff to friends, in private and off the board because the last thing I want to do is have some KID who is busting his butt every day in practice and then again in the game read that his best isn't good enough! That's not what this board is about! It still doesn't make my opinion right, even if it's said in private. :( But because we are all so passionate about this sport, things get said.

If all you have to offer is constant negativity, then yes we have a problem and you will be censored.

Do we do it consistently? No. Sometimes because of our personal ties we tend to either let things slide so as not to appear to show bias or once things get so bad take things posted personally and respond in kind!

Damned if we do, damned if we don't!

The no college rule has been a long time coming so I really don't know why some of you have been "caught off guard". I bet I could go back and find several warnings throughout the years where all 3 of us mods have warned you that this would happen if yall didn't quit with all the bashing.

No links....well yeah it sucks and I don't understand, but I don't own the board. I don't understand why some of you even want to look at other sites?!?! :eek: There are other sites? :D ;)

And that's all I have to say about that. :p

Pick6
10-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
We are all here because we love HS football.

Actually I'm here because I love you :kiss: :inlove:

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 10:56 AM
As far as whatever Sahen was talking about....I must have missed something, because I am confused!!

Anywho.....every week or so, I get great pleasure in typing cuss words into the search engine to see if there are any we may have missed!!

Of course, these are only the ones that are spelled out in their entirety!!

I just now did it and and am glad to report there are no S or F words out there!!:p :p

sinton66
10-07-2008, 10:59 AM

It may NOT be non profit in the future, though we're committed to keeping memberships free. The links rule is a SIMPLE reciprocal one. I don't think it's too much to ask other sites to provide a link to us in return for us doing so for them. We may have no choice but to sell ad space here to keep up with the costs of keeping the site up. Why SHOULD we provide free advertising for other sites that won't do the same for us?

Like it or not, welcome to life in 2008. This site, the chatroom, and all fees combined costs about $1500.00 per year. That ain't chump change. Thus far, what doesn't come in from donations is coming out of OUR(admin/owners) pockets. NONE of us have ever taken one red cent from this site. We've researched it to death. It's not possible to do this any cheaper. As costs continue to rise, we're going to have to cover them. The owners must be free to do what we need to unless you and many others like you are willing to become REGULAR donors.

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
It may NOT be non profit in the future, though we're committed to keeping memberships free. The links rule is a SIMPLE reciprocal one. I don't think it's too much to ask other sites to provide a link to us in return for us doing so for them. We may have no choice but to sell ad space here to keep up with the costs of keeping the site up. Why SHOULD we provide free advertising for other sites that won't do the same for us?

Like it or not, welcome to life in 2008. This site, the chatroom, and all fees combined costs about $1500.00 per year. That ain't chump change. Thus far, what doesn't come in from donations is coming out of OUR(admin/owners) pockets. NONE of us have ever taken one red cent from this site. We've researched it to death. It's not possible to do this any cheaper. As costs continue to rise, we're going to have to cover them. The owners must be free to do what we need to unless you and many others like you are willing to become REGULAR donors.

What did we figure it costs a month to keep this and the chat up and runniing??

sinton66
10-07-2008, 11:16 AM
The site is $105.00 per month for the colo plus annual fees for domain and such. I think the chat runs about $200 a year, not sure of the exact amount.

3afan
10-07-2008, 11:22 AM
The no college rule has been a long time coming so I really don't know why some of you have been "caught off guard". I bet I could go back and find several warnings throughout the years where all 3 of us mods have warned you that this would happen if yall didn't quit with all the bashing.

but like most things that become "problems", it was a few select posters that were the root cause ...... so IMO they should go, not the college threads

STAggie
10-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Being new here, I must say the rules are my favorite thing. This site is always decent, mostly friendly and you can post your thoughts without half the board calling you out just because you havent' been here since the beginnng. I enjoy the good discussion and actual content in most posts. This site wouldn't be what it is without the rules that keep it from degrading into what most other forums are.

rockdale80
10-07-2008, 11:24 AM
R.M. I don’t mean this the wrong way, but do you think it is possible that people are not responding because they know it will not change anything? We have all complained publically before and it caused hard feelings.

Some of the rules take away from how much fun the board once was. If someone gets their feelings hurt, then posts are removed or closed, even if they are within the confines of the rules. No more college topics? There is a different agenda now and I understand that, so I just hardly post anymore. I know I am not the only one.

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by rockdale80
R.M. I don’t mean this the wrong way, but do you think it is possible that people are not responding because they know it will not change anything? We have all complained publically before and it caused hard feelings.

Some of the rules take away from how much fun the board once was. If someone gets their feelings hurt, then posts are removed or closed, even if they are within the confines of the rules. No more college topics? There is a different agenda now and I understand that, so I just hardly post anymore. I know I am not the only one.

Could be....but I can probably name MAYBE 15 posters that have problems with the rules....and the amount of PM's I have received today is amazing!!! Some saying what rules they don't like, some saying "keep on keeping on!"

CHS_CG
10-07-2008, 11:55 AM
I dont have a problem with the rules but I do have a problem with certain people pushing the limits and ruining things for the rest of us. I know that their may be warnings issued via PM's and I also know that some people get on her just to start crap with others and we cant really control that. Is there a rule that you mods have that say ok, when its something like this we give em this many times, or if its this type of thing we give them this many chances?

waterboy
10-07-2008, 11:57 AM
RULES! I DON'T NEED NO STINKING RULES!:mad:

Oops! I think I may have just broken one. Please don't ban me!:(

:wave: Hi Mom!

I don't really have a problem with rules. They're there for a reason. If everyone could stay civil, some of those rules wouldn't have to be there, or the moderators would let them be bent a little. Overall, I think this is the best site out there. Where else can you talk to somebody about almost anything and get their insight and thoughts on the subject?

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
I dont have a problem with the rules but I do have a problem with certain people pushing the limits and ruining things for the rest of us. I know that their may be warnings issued via PM's and I also know that some people get on her just to start crap with others and we cant really control that. Is there a rule that you mods have that say ok, when its something like this we give em this many times, or if its this type of thing we give them this many chances?

We do have a warning system in place.

There are different levels of infractions....so breaking one rule may count 1 warning pt. will another may count 3.

Either way....you get 6 pts, I think it is, you are gone!! Or...if you get 3 warnings...you are gone, whether it adds up to 6 or not.

I can't remember if that constitutes being benched or ejected though!!!!

kepdawg
10-07-2008, 12:01 PM
The rules are not hard to abide by.
The rules are not too harsh.
Mods/leadership need to rule Matt328 style.

garciap77
10-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Mods doing a great job!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
No problems or concerns. If I want to discuss college football, then I go to a college site.

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
The rules are not hard to abide by.
The rules are not too harsh.
Mods/leadership need to rule Matt328 style.

Matt328 style?? Be hard to track down when something happens??:p :p

That was NOT a jab toward Matt either....I just remember when people were posting TERRIBLE stuff all over the place and we couldn't track down matt, so we just had to deal with it!!:p :p

kepdawg
10-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Matt328 style?? Be hard to track down when something happens??:p :p

That was NOT a jab toward Matt either....I just remember when people were posting TERRIBLE stuff all over the place and we couldn't track down matt, so we just had to deal with it!!:p :p

I'm talking old school 01/02 Matt!

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Mods doing a great job!
No problems or concerns. If I want to discuss college football, then I go to a college site.

Thank you Garcia!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have seen some of the "jealous others" on different sites that like to tear us down by making fun of the fact that there are 3 female mods on a football board.....I think that is just one other thing that makes us unique and sets us apart from all those "other boards!!":)

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm talking old school 01/02 Matt!

I got here mid 2002, so I may be missing something! As far as mods go back then, I remember Jacket more than anyone!!

Maroon87
10-07-2008, 12:08 PM
I think the rules/mods are pretty easy to abide by. Sadly, though, there are just people out there that can't leave well enough alone and have to screw things up for the group. Just my $.02...:)

Bull19
10-07-2008, 12:09 PM
This is still a forum where you can express your opinion, but if your opinion is XYZ team SUCKS and they are just AWFUL, what is the point in that? We are all here because we love HS football. IMO, this is not how you promote or express your love of HS football.

I've been guilty of saying stuff like "God, we suck"; "Sheesh, have you seen XYZ team? Man, they are awful!", but I say that stuff to friends, in private and off the board because the last thing I want to do is have some KID who is busting his butt every day in practice and then again in the game read that his best isn't good enough! That's not what this board is about! It still doesn't make my opinion right, even if it's said in private. :( But because we are all so passionate about this sport, things get said.

If all you have to offer is constant negativity, then yes we have a problem and you will be censored.

Do we do it consistently? No. Sometimes because of our personal ties we tend to either let things slide so as not to appear to show bias or once things get so bad take things posted personally and respond in kind!

Damned if we do, damned if we don't!

No links....well yeah it sucks and I don't understand, but I don't own the board. I don't understand why some of you even want to look at other sites?!?! :eek: There are other sites? :D ;)

And that's all I have to say about that. :p since u have the need to quote MY POST it shows just what i mean. when YOU treat other posters defrinently its unfair for EVERYBODY. when other posters break no rules, when they disrespect nobody, express their own opnions which are shared by others and even are expressed by other, but yet they get treated defirently it shows my point to the "T". the locking of threads, banning posters from threads, etc. for expressing views that break no rules shows just how some biased some people are. i dont care if u respond to posts with different opinions but when u ban posters from threads, remove threads, etc just because u dont feel the same it takes away everything an OPEN FORUM stands for.

BobcatBenny
10-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Mods doing a great job!
Kiss up! ;)

Ingleside Fan
10-07-2008, 12:12 PM
I think everything is just fine. The Mod's are doing a great job!! :D We need rules to keep things running right.

There will always people that complian! Even if there were no rules someone would complain.

Since it's a town hall, I have a compliant.

I hate parents that have a student athletes and don't volunteer to help out the athletic program, then complains when something doesn't happen.:mad: :mad: :mad:

kepdawg
10-07-2008, 12:13 PM
I got here mid 2002, so I may be missing something! As far as mods go back then, I remember Jacket more than anyone!!

Originally posted by Matthew328 on 9/25/01
...Now that I know how to ban people I will not hesitate to ban people...I am from the hood and we don't play..and anyone who wants to test me..please do cuz you won't be posting anymore ...

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 12:14 PM

Gotcha!! I'm not from the hood....I do have 5 kids though, maybe I should just starting whooping some butts!!!:D :D

Ingleside Fan
10-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Gotcha!! I'm not from the hood....I do have 5 kids though, maybe I should just starting whooping some butts!!!:D :D :fnypost:

CHS_CG
10-07-2008, 12:19 PM
We do have a warning system in place.

There are different levels of infractions....so breaking one rule may count 1 warning pt. will another may count 3.

Either way....you get 6 pts, I think it is, you are gone!! Or...if you get 3 warnings...you are gone, whether it adds up to 6 or not.

I can't remember if that constitutes being benched or ejected though!!!!

gotcha! I think that is a good warning system! I honestly will stick to my opinion, if some people would stop screwing it up for the rest of us, this would be a better place for all of us. Sad to say we have the idiots though that just want something to complain about, or that just want to start stuff to see what they can get away with.

What is the policy on repeat offenders, like people who make new screen names? Does the new sn start on a new warning system?

IHStangFan
10-07-2008, 12:21 PM
on everything other than the lock down of college football threads.....I mean, I understand it....but I don't fully agree with it. I say don't punish us all because a select few can't control themselves.

crzyjournalist03
10-07-2008, 12:30 PM
My current feelings against a couple of things:

I have an issue with the "no college rule" because I feel that it really takes away from the spirit of the downlow. Sure, the college debates get lively and overboard quite often, but it's not like we don't do the same thing in high school threads. While I understand the desire to limit trash-talking or name-bashing, I don't think it's right to stop people from attempting to have intelligent conversations. If you're banning college threads because of the risk or potential involved with a thread involving rivalries, then wouldn't you have to do the same with Snyder-Sweetwater threads and the likes?

I understand that this is a high school football message board, but for many of us here, high school football is pretty low on the reasons that we come here. Heck, I haven't even attended at high school football game in a couple of years, and it looks like I won't be able to this year due to some personal circumstances that have arrived. I come here for a variety of discussions, most of them sports-related, but sometimes completely random. For that reason, I don't like having a non-sports forum.

garciap77
10-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Kiss up! ;)

:D

Be nice Benny! Nice Kiity!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/955-056-391.jpg

Pick6
10-07-2008, 12:39 PM
I hate the term "t-shirt fan"

garciap77
10-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Gotcha!! I'm not from the hood....I do have 5 kids though, maybe I should just starting whooping some butts!!!:D :D

I think I read that you were from some bad thing, in some oil thing, or something like that!

Meanie!

;)

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 12:50 PM
I think I read that you were from some bad thing, in some oil thing, or something like that!

Meanie!

;)

I'm not mean...you're just a sissy!!

There...satisfied??:kiss:

I am oil field trash and proud of it!!:D

jason
10-07-2008, 12:52 PM
you should get extra points and/or privileges based on how much money you donate.....

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG

What is the policy on repeat offenders, like people who make new screen names? Does the new sn start on a new warning system?

Honestly, it depends on who it is and what they did to get banned in the first place.

There are some that as soon as they signed up and we figured out who they were, they were gone again, with no warning.

With others....we let them stay but on a shorter leash!!

ronwx5x
10-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
I hate the term "t-shirt fan"

Does this mean you want me to change my sig?:cool:

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 12:57 PM
you should get extra points and/or privileges based on how much money you donate.....

I honestly think there should be some kind of "reward" for being a consistent donating member!!

Several ideas about that have been batted around several times!!

This is certainly my opinion only and I realize this is a free site and we will NEVER charge anyone to post or read....but, IMO, if you have never donated a penny to this site, I don't feel you have a right to gripe!!

Let me rephrase that.....I personally will take a donating members opinion over one that hasn't donated!!

That is probably wrong of me, but that is just how I feel! I don't believe that anyone here couldn't afford to donate $10. For myself, I try to donate a little every few months!!

That is just how I feel about it!!

rockdale80
10-07-2008, 12:57 PM
I have a problem with posts being removed or being thread that are not illegal or outside the rules because people have thin skin and cry themselves to sleep at night.

I think we should be able to discuss sports...all of them.

I like the mods. They know that.

Emerson1
10-07-2008, 01:08 PM

as far as the college rule..another site I am on went the other way..instead of shutting them down it was announced that the college threads were open and enter at your own risk and if you dish it, you must be able to take it

Or, do like they original said they would do and suspend people from the thread/board when they start to bash. Not just throw a hissy fit and ban all of them.

Does ANYONE other than the higher ups care about the look of ads on the site?

I mean what about google ads? I have read about sites making hundreds or even thousands a month off those. We surely have the site traffic and people who will click on the ad daily to generate the revenue. Ads doesn't automatically = huge annoying pop ups and flash banners that expand which is what the excuse has always been.

The downlow would DIE if you ever made people pay to post/read, there is nothing special about this site that you can't get on texashsfootball if everyone just moved on over.

cshscougar08
10-07-2008, 01:13 PM
I don't believe that anyone here couldn't afford to donate $10.

I beg to differ! I'm in college!!!!! :D

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
I beg to differ! I'm in college!!!!! :D

I still don't believe you couldn't come up with $10 in a years period of time to donate.

Originally posted by Emerson1

Does ANYONE other than the higher ups care about the look of ads on the site?

I admit, some subtle advertising on a site doesn't bother me...I just ignore it!!

Emerson1
10-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Really, this doesn't look bad and would be easier to adjust to then having a sports and non sports forum.

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/5808/ad1111hw9.jpg

and that is just a quick photoshop, I bet you could pick how big you wanted it and mess around with location and formatting

cshscougar08
10-07-2008, 01:21 PM
I still don't believe you couldn't come up with $10 in a years period of time to donate.

Haha I know. Just messin. ;)

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 01:22 PM
How did we get off on advertising?? That isn't even a rule issue!!:p

LH Panther Mom
10-07-2008, 01:26 PM
there is nothing special about this site that you can't get on texashsfootball if everyone just moved on over.
You're absolutely right about that! And I can personally attest to the fact that because of factors that are unknown to the admins/mods on thsf, there has been an influx of porn posts on there the past several days. I'm not talking about links - I'm talking graphic pictures.

Feel free to spend your time on there. There hasn't been but 2-3 district previews for all Texas classes this season. Rankings, scores, updates, etc are nonexistent. I'm certainly not bashing Chris, but he's the only one with the "keys" so unfortunately that's the way it is.

No one forces you (or anyone) to post here. I know that at times the registration process seems to take longer than other places. But I can honestly say that the screening process is really a good thing.

Sorry, I'm off the soap box now. :o

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
You're absolutely right about that! And I can personally attest to the fact that because of factors that are unknown to the admins/mods on thsf, there has been an influx of porn posts on there the past several days. I'm not talking about links - I'm talking graphic pictures.

Feel free to spend your time on there. There hasn't been but 2-3 district previews for all Texas classes this season. Rankings, scores, updates, etc are nonexistent. I'm certainly not bashing Chris, but he's the only one with the "keys" so unfortunately that's the way it is.

No one forces you (or anyone) to post here. I know that at times the registration process seems to take longer than other places. But I can honestly say that the screening process is really a good thing.

Oh man...I was just really starting to enjoy it....don't stop now!!!:D :D :D

I, for one, come here for the people, all else is secondary!!!!:D

LH Panther Mom
10-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Oh man...I was just really starting to enjoy it....don't stop now!!!:D :D :D
That just set me off. :) And I really didn't mean to vent, because at times, this type thread is needed. (Those pictures were just :eek: :eek: :eek: and nothing "we" can do to stop it. :( )

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-07-2008, 01:32 PM
This should be in the Non-Sports Forum. :mad:

pirate4state
10-07-2008, 01:37 PM
since u have the need to quote MY POST it shows just what i mean. when YOU treat other posters defrinently its unfair for EVERYBODY. when other posters break no rules, when they disrespect nobody, express their own opnions which are shared by others and even are expressed by other, but yet they get treated defirently it shows my point to the "T". the locking of threads, banning posters from threads, etc. for expressing views that break no rules shows just how some biased some people are. i dont care if u respond to posts with different opinions but when u ban posters from threads, remove threads, etc just because u dont feel the same it takes away everything an OPEN FORUM stands for. Well I knew you were talking directly to ME, so why wouldn't I address it? I haven't banned you from a thread in forever so I guess you learned something. :) In fact, I haven't thread banned anyone in awhile. :thinking:

You & your buddies think I'm out to get you, but if you stop and THINK about it...if I'm as terrible as you say I am wouldn't you be gone already?

If I remove something from a thread it's usually because some kid, coach or poster is being dragged through the mud...AGAIN...this is not what this site is about!

These are part of the rules too:

3A Downlow has been established to provide a forum for the discussion of Texas Class 3A high school sports and other topics as deemed acceptable by the site administrators and moderators.

It is important to remember that 3A Down Low is a privately owned membership-only organization. Freedom of speech may not apply here in all cases. Posting here is a privilege, not a right. We reserve the right to revoke your privileges at any time at our discretion. We reserve the right to edit, delete or remove your comments or threads as we deem necessary.

Necks_Fan
10-07-2008, 01:43 PM
I wish we had a place to talk politics..... other than that... it's great.

Emerson1
10-07-2008, 01:59 PM

Uhm, my post said nothing about the registration process or one site being better than the other. They both offer nothing but forums which is why if the downlow charged for membership it would die

I know that if it was register and automatically post we would get the porn post to. Dunno wth you are blabbing about

Pick6
10-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Does this mean you want me to change my sig?:cool:

No. I think the term and whoever came up with it is lame. Everyone is a "t-shirt fan" over something.

pirate4state
10-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Uhm, my post said nothing about the registration process or one site being better than the other. They both offer nothing but forums which is why if the downlow charged for membership it would die

I know that if it was register and automatically post we would get the porn post to. Dunno wth you are blabbing about

I think she is telling you you can leave whenever you want. :p

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 02:02 PM

This site offers more than a forum!!:rolleyes:

She was explaining to you the rationale behind our waiting period for registration.

You did compare this site to that one...and were pointed out STARK differences between the two!!

LH Panther Mom
10-07-2008, 02:08 PM

She was explaining to you the rationale behind our waiting period for registration.

You did compare this site to that one...and were pointed out STARK differences between the two!!
:doh: Yeah, the registration thing seemed kind of random, didn't it. :D It did, in my poor little brain, have a point that was related to what the first of my post was. Just don't ask me now what it was. (other than :eek: :eek: :eek: ) Yes, I know...so what if there's mass exodus from here to another board? Obviously we (admins, mods, posters) are doing something right or those who have been banned would not continue to come back, or at least try. :)

Emerson1
10-07-2008, 02:09 PM

But 90% of the people don't know the content is there anyways and it's nothing worth paying money for because it's all public knowledge so someone could take it and put it out for free if they wanted to.

:doh: Yeah, the registration thing seemed kind of random, didn't it. :D It did, in my poor little brain, have a point that was related to what the first of my post was. Just don't ask me now what it was. (other than :eek: :eek: :eek: ) Yes, I know...so what if there's mass exodus from here to another board? Obviously we (admins, mods, posters) are doing something right or those who have been banned would not continue to come back, or at least try. :)

I never said this site sucks and doesn't draw people back, but if it wasn't FREE no one would pay for public knowledge and to talk with the 10 other people who have actually ponied up money.

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 02:11 PM
But 90% of the people don't know the content is there anyways and it's nothing worth paying money for because it's all public knowledge so someone could take it and put it out for free if they wanted to.

Put it out free?? Like we do??

We haven't made anyone pay any money!!

You are chasing your own tail now!

Emerson1
10-07-2008, 02:13 PM

Come on Ranger Mom, follow all of the post I have made.

My original post was in response to tony saying how much it cost to run the site and talking about having to pay for membership

Which is why I said, no one would pay to come here because it doesn't offer anything you can't get anywhere else.

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 02:14 PM

And.....one of the owners made the comment one time that this place will shut down before we EVER make anyone pay to read.

It is by donation only!!

The way I look at it...if you care enough about the board (and are able), you will donate...if you don't, you won't!!

You will still be able to participate in everything that is downlow!!

But...if the costs become too much for the owners, and the members are apathetic, what choices are left?

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 02:15 PM

My original post was in response to tony saying how much it cost to run the site and talking about having to pay for membership

I must have missed that......can you point me to it??

Emerson1
10-07-2008, 02:16 PM

But...if the costs become too much for the owners, and the members are apathetic, what choices are left?
Google ads :D

Come on I even made a picture

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Google ads :D

Come on I even made a picture

I have no problem with that...but you still haven't told me where Tony said we may start having to pay.

I did find this one:

It may NOT be non profit in the future, though we're committed to keeping memberships free.

LH Panther Mom
10-07-2008, 02:20 PM
I know in the past there have been questions about what exactly the donations were used for. Now you know! I'm sure though that if the owners wanted google ads, Admin is more than capable of hooking them up.

waterboy
10-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Uh, oh! Mom gonna get out the whoopin' stick! Is this the same one you used on your husband?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/44/147216174_27d58eece8.jpg?v=0

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 02:22 PM
I know in the past there have been questions about what exactly the donations were used for. Now you know! I'm sure though that if the owners wanted google ads, Admin is more than capable of hooking them up.

I think they would go with ads as a last ditch effort too!!

Emerson1
10-07-2008, 02:26 PM
I think they would go with ads as a last ditch effort too!!
Which is what I don't get.

Why pay hundreds of dollars out of pocket when you can have ads that no one would mind?

Necks_Fan
10-07-2008, 02:28 PM

Why pay hundreds of dollars out of pocket when you can have ads that no one would mind? Good point. I wouldn't mind... and it would be better than forking over cash.

pirate4state
10-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Some people....:tisk: :tisk:

MN95
10-07-2008, 02:47 PM
And just like that, "The Man" silenced the little people. Wiped them off the face of the message board.

Necks_Fan
10-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Some people....:tisk: :tisk: Oh lighten up a bit. It's all in fun.

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 02:48 PM

Why pay hundreds of dollars out of pocket when you can have ads that no one would mind?

And be a board just like all the other boards.....nah!!

I remember back when you donated on your "old name"...so what are YOU complaining about anyway!!

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by MN95
And just like that, "The Man" silenced the little people. Wiped them off the face of the message board.

Oh yeah....in answer to your thread that got ZAPPED!!!!

I was caught at the other end of the office, on the phone, so I couldn't reach my computer!!!:tongue:

MN95
10-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Moderators, you all do a great job. I was just enjoying a rare moment in my life when I don't follow the rules. Keep up the good work.:)

But, it felt so good..........I think I will go run around the house with scissors for a while.

pirate4state
10-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Oh lighten up a bit. It's all in fun.

Politics is never fun.

MN95
10-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Oh yeah....in answer to your thread that got ZAPPED!!!!

I was caught at the other end of the office, on the phone, so I couldn't reach my computer!!!:tongue:

Please at least admit that you chuckled at my political joke that nobody else will get to enjoy?

waterboy
10-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Some people....:tisk: :tisk:
Dang you're quick p4s! Good job! Y'all are good people........I don't care what anybody says!:D

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by MN95
Please at least admit that you chuckled at my political joke that nobody else will get to enjoy?

I did....the person who had to move it may not have though!!!

Emerson1
10-07-2008, 02:54 PM

I remember back when you donated on your "old name"...so what are YOU complaining about anyway!!
Better than no board at all

pirate4state
10-07-2008, 02:56 PM
I did....the person who had to move it may not have though!!! Oh, I laughed at the joke. I just hate politics, you know that!

Bullaholic
10-07-2008, 02:57 PM
http://www.pcpros-tx.com/messbull.jpg

Bull19
Well I knew you were talking directly to ME, so why wouldn't I address it? I haven't banned you from a thread in forever so I guess you learned something. :) In fact, I haven't thread banned anyone in awhile. :thinking:

You & your buddies think I'm out to get you, but if you stop and THINK about it...if I'm as terrible as you say I am wouldn't you be gone already?

If I remove something from a thread it's usually because some kid, coach or poster is being dragged through the mud...AGAIN...this is not what this site is about!

These are part of the rules too:

3A Downlow has been established to provide a forum for the discussion of Texas Class 3A high school sports and other topics as deemed acceptable by the site administrators and moderators.

It is important to remember that 3A Down Low is a privately owned membership-only organization. Freedom of speech may not apply here in all cases. Posting here is a privilege, not a right. We reserve the right to revoke your privileges at any time at our discretion. We reserve the right to edit, delete or remove your comments or threads as we deem necessary. you close the thread about navasota and sealy, why? nobody broke any rules. then you cry lonely and say how everybody is so rude when any poster has a negative thing to say about sealy football or coach mitchell in particluar. dont let your love fest with mitchell get in the way of moderating this board. thats all i ask.

Ranger Mom
Better than no board at all

Maybe so...but we aren't to that point where we have to make that decision yet.

All of this "rhetoric" about paid site vs. free sites has just proved my point.

The greater majority of posters are just fine and dandy with the rules, AS IS!! If they were THAT outlandish or unfair, I would have heard A LOT more about them in the thread!!

It is mainly the same gripes by the same posters that normally gripe...pretty much as I expected!!

:devil:

kepdawg
10-07-2008, 02:58 PM

:confused:

So not having adds is what makes 3ADL special?

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 03:00 PM
:confused:

So not having adds is what makes 3ADL special?

No...the 3 mods make it special, not having ads just makes it purtier!!:p

pirate4state
10-07-2008, 03:04 PM
you close the thread about navasota and sealy, why? nobody broke any rules. then you cry lonely and say how everybody is so rude when any poster has a negative thing to say about sealy football or coach mitchell in particluar. dont let your love fest with mitchell get in the way of moderating this board. thats all i ask. buzz...wrong...i did not close that thread.

i guess i can get on the paranoia train with you guys and cry about how yall are out to get me and get under MY skin b/c you know I'm friends with Mitchell, but I won't.

have a good day. :wave:

kepdawg
10-07-2008, 03:05 PM
No...the 3 mods make it special, not having ads just makes it purtier!!:p

I think the whole debate over adds is silly anyway. I have no idea if any site I visit has adds or not.

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 03:08 PM
I think the whole debate over adds is silly anyway. I have no idea if any site I visit has adds or not.

It's ads...not adds!! Whew..I feel better now!!:D

I think the whole debate over it is silly too, because the ads(or lack of) have NOTHING to do with the rules, which was my original thread!!

Which, once again, goes to prove that whiners just like to whine!!:D

jason
10-07-2008, 03:09 PM
it smells funny in here

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 03:10 PM
My avatar is reproducing.....I am getting SO confused!!

sinton66
10-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Come on Ranger Mom, follow all of the post I have made.

Which is why I said, no one would pay to come here because it doesn't offer anything you can't get anywhere else.

I never said anything about paying for membership. In fact I said we're committed to memberships remaining free. If you're going to voice an opinion, at least get the facts straight and don't twist what I actually said.

waterboy
10-07-2008, 03:11 PM

I think the whole debate over it is silly too, because the ads(or lack of) have NOTHING to do with the rules, which was my original thread!!

:weeping: :weeping: :bigcry: :bigcry:

Lighten up, Mom!:D

kepdawg
10-07-2008, 03:15 PM

True. I refrained from whining because of the wording of your original post.

Pick6
10-07-2008, 03:19 PM
My avatar is reproducing.....

At this stage isn't that better than you reproducing?:)

Txbroadcaster
10-07-2008, 03:22 PM
I never said anything about paying for membership. In fact I said we're committed to memberships remaining free. If you're going to voice an opinion, at least get the facts straight and don't twist what I actually said.

just wondering..but where did Emerson twist your words? He did not say you said this would become a pay site, he just made the point in his opinion IF it became a pay site it would die

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 03:23 PM

At this stage?? You really meant to say "at this age"...didn't you...DIDN'T YOU????

Heck yeah it is!!

I am shocked when I see all the "celebrities" in their 40's that having kids for the first time....are they out of their freaking minds?????

waterboy
10-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Oh, no you didn't!!!:1popcorn:

TripleH
10-07-2008, 03:25 PM
With 1600 members on a board there is always going to be someone that is unhappy about how things are run. Some people will have valid complains and others will just be whining. I'm sure those who whine the most about the rules would probably come down harder on rule breakers than our current moderators do. It's easy to judge from the outside looking in.

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 03:25 PM
just wondering..but where did Emerson twist your words? He did not say you said this would become a pay site, he just made the point in his opinion IF it became a pay site it would die

Maybe I misunderstood him too. Here is what I read:

My original post was in response to tony saying how much it cost to run the site and talking about having to pay for membership.

It sounded like he was saying that Tony was saying we would have to pay for a membership.

How did you read it?

Pick6
10-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Oh, no you didn't!!!:1popcorn:

Oh yes I did, she understood what I was saying.

waterboy
10-07-2008, 03:28 PM
At this stage?? You really meant to say "at this age"...didn't you...DIDN'T YOU????

Heck yeah it is!!

I am shocked when I see all the "celebrities" in their 40's that having kids for the first time....are they out of their freaking minds?????
:bigcry: :bigcry: OK, Mom, I will contribute! You didn't have to come out on the public forum and degrade me because I haven't been a contributor!:( Just let me know how! I was gonna wait until I hit the 1,000 post mark first, but.........:bigcry: :blush:

Txbroadcaster
10-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Maybe I misunderstood him too. Here is what I read:

It sounded like he was saying that Tony was saying we would have to pay for a membership.

How did you read it?

That since Tony brought up that he hoped the site could stay free that Kyle was just making the point if it was a pay site then he thought it would die

Looking4number8
10-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Your board, your rules, I am good with that... I am just glad you have provided me with a place to play... Beats the crap out of going to the gym or something

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 03:30 PM
:bigcry: :bigcry: OK, Mom, I will contribute! You didn't have to come out on the public forum and degrade me because I haven't been a contributor!:( Just let me how! I was gonna wait until I hit the 1,000 post mark first, but.........:bigcry: :blush:

Whatever It Takes!!!

WIT = that's Greenwood's motto this season!!:p :p

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 03:31 PM
That since Tony brought up that he hoped the site could stay free that Kyle was just making the point if it was a pay site then he thought it would die

Tony may have read it like I did!!

I myself wouldn't be here if it was a pay site!!:p

waterboy
10-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Whatever It Takes!!!

WIT = that's Greenwood's motto this season!!:p :p
Yeah...........but ya didn't have to make me out to be some kinda bum or something...........Geeesh!:D

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Wow -- I didn't even know about the no college talk rule. I have been posting about ACU a lot this season. Sorry, I guess I didn't pay attention to the new rule about it.

That sucks.

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Wow -- I didn't even know about the no college talk rule. I have been posting about ACU a lot this season. Sorry, I guess I didn't pay attention to the new rule about it.

That sucks.

This has been in the past day or two maybe??

I didn't even know it was there until it was pointed out to me!!:nerd: :nerd:

cameron91
10-07-2008, 03:55 PM
I've been a rule braker all my life , but this board has some very kewl people that I like.I may never meet them , but I look forward every day logging on here just too see what the days topic is.we have some real homers on here and we have people like (kemp) that actually make you think when you read his threads .then you have peole like me that start threas just for the fun of it.i would like to see a college thread open up one day.i mean what can it hurt.

DON'T BAN ME............

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 03:59 PM
and then we have those who push and push and push and then get all booty hurt when we start pushing back!!;)

sinton66
10-07-2008, 04:13 PM

Where in this statement :
It may NOT be non profit in the future, though we're committed to keeping memberships free. did I say I HOPED memberships would remain free? I was saying we may HAVE to sell advertising. Geez. Yall quit adding your own slants to this.

Txbroadcaster
10-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Where in this statement : did I say I HOPED memberships would remain free? I was saying we may HAVE to sell advertising. Geez. Yall quit adding your own slants to this.

My bad committed over the word hope..wow how about you not assume it is a slant when it is a simple mistake of terms

Still does not change the point, Kyle was not saying you said the site would be a paysite, he was just saying IF it was a paysite he thought it would die

sinton66
10-07-2008, 04:41 PM
My bad committed over the word hope..wow how about you not assume it is a slant when it is a simple mistake of terms

Still does not change the point, Kyle was not saying you said the site would be a paysite, he was just saying IF it was a paysite he thought it would die

You read his statement differently than I did. I can't see his face, only the WORDS he typed. He typed that I was talking about paying for memberships when in fact, it was exactly the opposite. The problem is if an incorrect statement is repeated often enough, it becomes true. Pass it off with any excuse (mistake of terms, etc.)you wish, but people with different agendas tend to read what they want to see.

Sorry, I won't stand for people saying I said something I didn't say.

sinfan75
10-07-2008, 04:42 PM
I asked one of the mods about the no college threads and pretty much or did state that this was a 3a sports forum. So does that mean no 5a,4a,2a 1a or 6man discussions either. Or pro sports either?

carter08
10-07-2008, 04:52 PM
I did not read the thread. It is too long.

Here are my thoughts.

I do not agree with the split forum format, as I believe it takes away from the atmosphere, but I can live with that as long as it is changed after the season.

As for the college policy.

If one is going to ban college threads, one must ban professional threads and non-3A threads. It is only fair.

Make the Sports forum specifically for 3A Sports, make the other one for everything else and do not discriminate from what is posted there. That way only people wanting to go there and discuss non-3A activities can do so.

Emerson1
10-07-2008, 04:53 PM
The college threads were banned because it turned into a your teams sucks and specific player bashing. It wasn't because the thread wasn't a 3A thread

Txbroadcaster
10-07-2008, 04:58 PM
You read his statement differently than I did. I can't see his face, only the WORDS he typed. He typed that I was talking about paying for memberships when in fact, it was exactly the opposite. The problem is if an incorrect statement is repeated often enough, it becomes true. Pass it off with any excuse (mistake of terms, etc.)you wish, but people with different agendas tend to read what they want to see.

Sorry, I won't stand for people saying I said something I didn't say.

you wont stand for someone saying u said something you did not is something I can understand...I would think bfore you react on an open forum you would first ASK that person the intent of the statement

You DID talk about memebers paying..the fact YOU said you were committed to having members not pay broached the subject..he simply made a comment on IF the site became a paying site..no harm no foul IMO

Not everyone has an agenda or hidden meaning

BTW I did not see his face either, I just read his words...I just simply asked him for clarification before I even said anything

garciap77
10-07-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm not mean...you're just a sissy!!

There...satisfied??:kiss:

I am oil field trash and proud of it!!:D

:eek: :eek: :eek:

LH Panther Mom
10-07-2008, 05:57 PM
you close the thread about navasota and sealy, why?
She didn't close it, I did! The thread was completely hijacked and was no longer about the GAME or either TEAM.

sinton66
10-07-2008, 06:11 PM
you wont stand for someone saying u said something you did not is something I can understand...I would think bfore you react on an open forum you would first ASK that person the intent of the statement

You DID talk about memebers paying..the fact YOU said you were committed to having members not pay broached the subject..he simply made a comment on IF the site became a paying site..no harm no foul IMO

Not everyone has an agenda or hidden meaning

BTW I did not see his face either, I just read his words...I just simply asked him for clarification before I even said anything

No agenda huh? Who is it on here griping about us not allowing links? Who is it who stands to benefit (monetarily)from putting those links on 3ADL? Not us. We've never charged anybody for anything. All we asked for was a reciprocal agreement. You've already given two reciprocal arrangements. If you want to post more links, you already know what's required. If you have no agenda, why do you CONTINUE to bring it up? Don't pee on my leg and try to convince me it's raining.

sinton66
10-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
I asked one of the mods about the no college threads and pretty much or did state that this was a 3a sports forum. So does that mean no 5a,4a,2a 1a or 6man discussions either. Or pro sports either?

(This isn't meant just for you, but since you asked) This IS a 3A site. We ALLOW the other stuff. Here's a refresher on the mission(Pay attention to whats in bold):

Mission Statement:

3A Downlow has been established to provide a forum for the discussion of Texas Class 3A high school sports and other topics as deemed acceptable by the site administrators and moderators. Our prime objective is to provide a clean, informative, and fun place for you to support your favorite team and to learn about other teams and towns across this great state. We hope you will find this site different from any other high school sports site you’ve ever visited.

Who here has a RIGHT to tell us what we can or cannot find "acceptable"?

sinfan75
10-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Not tellin anybody how to run this site just askin a question about whats allowed and whats not. Guess I got a pretty good idea now though.

sinton66
10-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
Not tellin anybody how to run this site just askin a question about whats allowed and whats not. Guess I got a pretty good idea now though.

lol, I said it wasn't just for you.:D (Sorry if it seemed like I was singling you out, wasn't my intention.)

Trashman
10-07-2008, 06:34 PM
I am a new member and love the 3ADL. It is by far the best forum on the net. Most of my time is spent reading and only post when a truly stupid gesture is call for on my part. The moderators are fair and don’t let things get out of hand as it has on some other forums. (Ladies if you’re not getting paid, you should be) Don’t change the rules for a few sore heads that like to wine and cry.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-07-2008, 06:43 PM
:) i am just glad there is a site dedicated to stricktly 3a football teams. I dont think i can watch a game anymore since 2002 when i joined without posting the game i am watching :doh: People around me know not to talk to me when i am on the downlow posting :)

Txbroadcaster
10-07-2008, 08:13 PM
No agenda huh? Who is it on here griping about us not allowing links? Who is it who stands to benefit (monetarily)from putting those links on 3ADL? Not us. We've never charged anybody for anything. All we asked for was a reciprocal agreement. You've already given two reciprocal arrangements. If you want to post more links, you already know what's required. If you have no agenda, why do you CONTINUE to bring it up? Don't pee on my leg and try to convince me it's raining.

I tell u what..I sent you a PM because this has gone from something really simple and stupid to this

bigron15
10-07-2008, 08:32 PM
i think it is kind of a double standard that we dont let college thread during the week but we let every classification in high school be posted. if we let every classification be posted then why dont we call it high school downlow. i believe high school threads get way worse way quicker than college threads.

sinton66
10-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by bigron15
i think it is kind of a double standard that we dont let college thread during the week but we let every classification in high school be posted. if we let every classification be posted then why dont we call it high school downlow. i believe high school threads get way worse way quicker than college threads.

Well, you can blame it on the sophomoric crap that some posters put in those threads. This isn't a "lone wolf" decision, all seven of us have agreed. The college threads dissolve into infantile behavior and it isn't going to fly here.

FYI, folks. It isn't "NO COLLEGE THREADS", it's game threads only and then only if they remain civil.

popcorn screen
10-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Not following the rules - teen angst
I like the site and the rules
For those who cant abide by the rules, they can leave

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
I am a new member and love the 3ADL. It is by far the best forum on the net. Most of my time is spent reading and only post when a truly stupid gesture is call for on my part. The moderators are fair and don’t let things get out of hand as it has on some other forums. (Ladies if you’re not getting paid, you should be) Don’t change the rules for a few sore heads that like to wine and cry.

Did I ever tell you that I really like you???:D

Emerson1
10-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by popcorn screen
Not following the rules - teen angst
I like the site and the rules
For those who cant abide by the rules, they can leave
Teen angst?

Sad thing is, it's all older people

jlwttu
10-07-2008, 10:04 PM
I've never had a problem with the rules here. The college threads so often degenerated into flame fests I'm surprised that they let them stay around as long as they did.

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by jlwttu
I've never had a problem with the rules here. The college threads so often degenerated into flame fests I'm surprised that they let them stay around as long as they did.

Well I'll be darned!!!

That was exactly what we thought!!!:D

espn1
10-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Can I buy this site?

Ranger Mom
10-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by espn1
Can I buy this site?

You have to get in line....several others have offers in too!!:)

slpybear the bullfan
10-07-2008, 10:23 PM
You have to get in line....several others have offers in too!!:)

We might even have to have a "Bidding Fee" up front just to let you in on the action.

Seriously.

;)

slpybear the bullfan
10-07-2008, 10:29 PM
As usual, everytime people honor this site with their feedback, we see the whole spectrum.

And, as usual, we have about 10% that think it is perfect, 10% that think it has a personal hard on for them, and the rest all think it is pretty good at what it does. And what it does is try to offer a primarily 3A HS Based sports forum, with some other talk about HS and sports, and an online neighborhood.

Thanks for confirming this with this thread. We appreciate the openess.

It appears this little "Survey" shows that our Rules are fair and balanced and desired by the vast majority of the members. It also shows that the vast majority appreciate and like the way the board is moderated. (thank you ladies).

We hope you come again and become/remain a part of a VERY SUCCESSFUL community on the web.

If the rules/mods get just too uncomfortable for your style... I am sure you can find another board to play on.

Bull's-eye
10-07-2008, 10:40 PM
She didn't close it, I did! The thread was completely hijacked and was no longer about the GAME or either TEAM.

The thread went from the game to something about Navasota not allowing the inflatable helmets & tunnels. Seeing that the talk about the game had been discussed enough, the discussion ventured out to the tunnel issues and then was closed.

Solution:

1. Don't close the thread, it was a sub topic of the game. Like most threads, it will be on the back pages before you know it. Posters eventually lose interest, so the thread will flame out. If the thread continues to get more posts, then that means people want to keep discussing the topic.

This would be better than actually starting a new thread about the tunnels or hear posters complaining about the thread being closed. :)

sinton66
10-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
The thread went from the game to something about Navasota not allowing the inflatable helmets & tunnels. Seeing that the talk about the game had been discussed enough, the discussion ventured out to the tunnel issues and then was closed.

Solution:

1. Don't close the thread, it was a sub topic of the game. Like most threads, it will be on the back pages before you know it. Posters eventually lose interest, so the thread will flame out. If the thread continues to get more posts, then that means people want to keep discussing the topic.

This would be better than actually starting a new thread about the tunnels or hear posters complaining about the thread being closed. :)

Rules of the board: Note: These rules apply to every facet of 3ADownlow, usernames, posts, signatures, avatars, chatroom, pictures, links, private messages, EVERYTHING. If it's posted on 3ADownlow, these rules are enforced. All Moderators and Administrators are empowered to use their own judgement.

Apparently she saw it differently. I suggest you drop it.

Bull's-eye
10-07-2008, 11:04 PM

What's funny is that other posters made their posts about the tunnels, but when FFB quoted some posters that sided with him, the thread got closed. If you feel the thread had been hijacked, it should of been closed earlier. Maybe your excuse was you didn't see the thread until last night, but then I ask, why didn't the other moderators close it down?

LH Panther Mom
10-07-2008, 11:10 PM
What's funny is that other posters made their posts about the tunnels, but when FFB quoted some posters that sided with him, the thread got closed. If you feel the thread had been hijacked, it should of been closed earlier. Maybe your excuse was you didn't see the thread until last night, but then I ask, why didn't the other moderators close it down?
I didn't close it because of the posts in support of the inflatable thing. I closed it because THAT is what the thread turned into. It has nothing to do with you or him, or anything other than the thread being completely hijacked. All of us close threads at different times and for different reasons.

I asked a question and was ignored initially, then told it was FACT when the truth of the matter was it was NOT fact. It continued to stay open after that because the TEAMS were still being discussed. When it became SOULLY about a blow-up, it was time to put it out of its' misery.

Bull's-eye
10-07-2008, 11:28 PM
I asked a question and was ignored initially, then told it was FACT when the truth of the matter was it was NOT fact. It continued to stay open after that because the TEAMS were still being discussed. When it became SOULLY about a blow-up, it was time to put it out of its' misery.

How can you imply that he initially ignored your question? Maybe he was reading other posts or left his computer. I don't know about it being a fact or not a fact, but I heard a certain school had a problem with not being allowed their tunnel. Those tunnels have been discussed before and the actual game discussion was over. Like I said before, if people continue to post, there must be some interest. I have posted my thoughts and have accepted your decision. Thanks for listening. :)

BullsFan
10-08-2008, 12:06 AM
I have to really give you mods props for being willing to come here and explain things over and over and...oh...over again. I've been at a lot of fora where a mod's decision was a mod's decision and that's that. And sometimes where arguing about it was cause for banning. You guys have a lot of patience. I would suggest you think about going into education (because sometimes I think modding here is a lot like dealing with a room full of unruly children lol), but now is not a fun time to be a teacher in Texas.

pancho villa
10-08-2008, 07:28 AM
I love this site! However I do miss reading the college threads, because I do like a little spice in life.

LH Panther Mom
10-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
I love this site! However I do miss reading the college threads, because I do like a little spice in life.
Ask Mrs. Pancho to throw some habaneros in the tacos. ;)

3afan
10-08-2008, 07:48 AM
I didn't close it because of the posts in support of the inflatable thing. I closed it because THAT is what the thread turned into. It has nothing to do with you or him, or anything other than the thread being completely hijacked. All of us close threads at different times and for different reasons.

if a thread gets hijacked but but the new direction it takes is something thats allowable, then the thread should not be closed IMO

a thread being "completely hijacked" is no reason to close it

LH Panther Mom
10-08-2008, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
if a thread gets hijacked but but the new direction it takes is something thats allowable, then the thread should not be closed IMO

a thread being "completely hijacked" is no reason to close it
And those who cause problems with the college threads should be banned instead of us shutting them down, right? :thinking: (BTW - check the non-sports forum.)

mustang68
10-08-2008, 08:52 AM
I don't miss the college threads at all, and am glad the division of topics took place so I have a choice of reading pleasure.
Thanks for all the work the Mods do to make this board what it is.

bulldogs_1975
10-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Checking to make sure my post is working

ronwx5x
10-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by bulldogs_1975
Checking to make sure my post is working

Anyone heard from bulldogs_1975 lately? Guess his "post" is not working.:cool:

Bull19
10-08-2008, 10:08 AM
How can you imply that he initially ignored your question? Maybe he was reading other posts or left his computer. I don't know about it being a fact or not a fact, but I heard a certain school had a problem with not being allowed their tunnel. Those tunnels have been discussed before and the actual game discussion was over. Like I said before, if people continue to post, there must be some interest. I have posted my thoughts and have accepted your decision. Thanks for listening. :) isnt this thread now off topic since yall are discussing a different thread entirely than the one at hand? this thread should now be locked. once again this goes back to my main problem. all threads and posters are treated differently. imo the moderators are losing sight of the whole aspect of what it means to moderate

Bull19
10-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Anyone heard from bulldogs_1975 lately? Guess his "post" is not working.:cool: off topic

jason
10-08-2008, 10:10 AM
isnt this thread now off topic since yall are discussing a different thread entirely than the one at hand? this thread should now be locked. once again this goes back to my main problem. all threads and posters are treated differently. imo the moderators are losing sight of the whole aspect of what it means to moderate

there lies the problem -

inconsistency..........

Ranger Mom
10-08-2008, 10:17 AM
isnt this thread now off topic since yall are discussing a different thread entirely than the one at hand? this thread should now be locked. once again this goes back to my main problem. all threads and posters are treated differently. imo the moderators are losing sight of the whole aspect of what it means to moderate

I am the one who started the thread and asked for opinions......and BECAUSE I am the one who started it, neither Pirate4State nor LH Panther Mom would close it. It's kinda like an "unwritten rule" we have out of respect for each other.

We can't all be clone copies of each other and can't all think and react the exact same way.

You call it inconsistent, I call it human nature!!

I wish the "inconsistency" on this board was my biggest problem ... must be nice to be able to spend so much time complaining over something so trivial!!

Bull19
10-08-2008, 10:21 AM
I am the one who started the thread and asked for opinions......and BECAUSE I am the one who started it, neither Pirate4State nor LH Panther Mom would close it. It's kinda like an "unwritten rule" we have out of respect for each other.

We can't all be clone copies of each other and can't all think and react the exact same way.

You call it inconsistent, I call it human nature!!

I wish the "inconsistency" on this board was my biggest problem ... must be nice to be able to spend so much time complaining over something so trivial!! if it was something so trival we would not be complaing so much about it.

pancho villa
10-08-2008, 10:22 AM

Dude! Get a life!

Ranger Mom
10-08-2008, 10:23 AM
if it was something so trival we would not be complaing so much about it.

We?? All 2 or 3 of you??

Bull19
10-08-2008, 10:32 AM
in due time, in due time

Ranger Mom
10-08-2008, 10:34 AM
in due time, in due time

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Alrighty then!!:thumbsup:

LH Panther Mom
10-08-2008, 10:51 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Alrighty then!!:thumbsup:
Prophecy maybe? :thinking:

Ranger Mom
10-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Prophecy maybe? :thinking:

Does the word "Twenty" mean anything to you??

I guess they don't think we talk to each other!!:)

Pick6
10-08-2008, 11:03 AM
I still don't understand alot of the whining. What's the old saying, If ya don't love it, leave it.

mwynn05
10-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Where in this statement : did I say I HOPED memberships would remain free? I was saying we may HAVE to sell advertising. Geez. Yall quit adding your own slants to this. but thats what you would do to Gary's posts in your political debates why is it ok then but not now? all kyle is doing is making a hypothetical he NEVER said you said you were going to make the site a pay site that was the slant you put on his words

LH Panther Mom
10-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Does the word "Twenty" mean anything to you??

I guess they don't think we talk to each other!!:)
Twenty - yes. :helpme: Young, stupid (didn't know it at the time) and stuff hadn't started pointing south. ;)

Pick6
10-08-2008, 12:34 PM
and stuff hadn't started pointing south. ;)

That there is pretty funny :clap:

TripleH
10-08-2008, 12:37 PM
For a bunch of posters who I would take most of to be men, I've never seen so much he said she said bantering. I think it boils down to they can if they want to. And probably a lack of rules at home is why some of you gripe about the rules anyway, you're not use to having them.:doh:

waterboy
10-08-2008, 12:42 PM
I've got just one more thing to say..............and it's against the rules, but.......here goes............

**DELETED**

Please don't delete........pretty please.........with a cherry on top? The world needs to know this little tidbit of info.:(

Sorry....no can do!! ;)

Bullaholic
10-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by TripleH
For a bunch of posters who I would take most of to be men, I've never seen so much he said she said bantering. I think it boils down to they can if they want to. And probably a lack of rules at home is why some of you gripe about the rules anyway, you're not use to having them.:doh:

Suffice to say a lot of "old wounds" mixed with a few new ones. Not one bit of this do you ever hear at a M&G.

duckpluck
10-08-2008, 12:51 PM
I like the rules. And I really dont care for the college stuff being posted because if I have internet I can easily check ESPN and get the game update. Why would I want to read the update on 3ADL? I come to this site to get 3A info and discussion. Not all the other stuff.

carter08
10-08-2008, 12:54 PM
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/nanoreid/lolcat-funny-picture-modera.jpg

waterboy
10-08-2008, 12:59 PM
I've got just one more thing to say..............and it's against the rules, but.......here goes............

**DELETED**

Please don't delete........pretty please.........with a cherry on top? The world needs to know this little tidbit of info.:(

Sorry....no can do!! ;)
Come on now, how's the world gonna find out if we're not allowed to tell 'em the truth? "The Truth shall set you free!" is what I say!

Ranger Mom
10-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Come on now, how's the world gonna find out if we're not allowed to tell 'em the truth? "The Truth shall set you free!" is what I say!

Contrary to popular belief, the "3Adownlow" is not the world.....hard fact to accept, I know!!!

And as much as I may agree with you...can you just imagine the uproar if we let you break that rule....that would be very "inconsistent" of me to do so!!!

I have decided that since it is overwhelmingly "men" (and I use that term VERY loosely) that have a problem with us "mods"....therein is where the problem lies.

If there were 3 men moderating this board, this wouldn't be happening. I think it just burns some guys butts that it is 3 women moderating (therefore pretty much "in charge") a football board!!!

I know that back in the day if someone would have said/accused Jacket2000 or Matthew328 of some of the things we have had thrown at us....they would have been GONE, no if's, and's, or but's about it!!

Off my soap box............for now!;)

kepdawg
10-08-2008, 01:33 PM

I know that back in the day if someone would have said/accused Jacket2000 or Matthew328 of some of the things we have had thrown at us....they would have been GONE, no if's, and's, or but's about it!!

I told you to run this place old school Matt328 style!

jason
10-08-2008, 01:36 PM
if it makes you feel any better - the fact that there are 3 chicks running things doesnt bother me at all - i would have the same opinions if it were 3 guys.....

besides, you know how i feel about you RM....:inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Ranger Mom
10-08-2008, 01:38 PM
I told you to run this place old school Matt328 style!

I know.....but we are women...we don't respond well to being "told" to do something!!:p :p

TripleH
10-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Contrary to popular belief, the "3Adownlow" is not the world.....hard fact to accept, I know!!!

And as much as I may agree with you...can you just imagine the uproar if we let you break that rule....that would be very "inconsistent" of me to do so!!!

I have decided that since it is overwhelmingly "men" (and I use that term VERY loosely) that have a problem with us "mods"....therein is where the problem lies.

If there were 3 men moderating this board, this wouldn't be happening. I think it just burns some guys butts that it is 3 women moderating (therefore pretty much "in charge") a football board!!!

Off my soap box............for now!;) Maybe it is a woman thing, of all the negative post most of them come from single men. Good point RM.

kepdawg
10-08-2008, 01:39 PM
I know.....but we are women...we don't respond well to being "told" to do something!!:p :p

Well it would certainly cut down on a lot of your complaints!

Ranger Mom
10-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Well it would certainly cut down on a lot of your complaints!

That's for sure!!

kepdawg
10-08-2008, 01:44 PM
if it makes you feel any better - the fact that there are 3 chicks running things doesnt bother me at all - i would have the same opinions if it were 3 guys.....

besides, you know how i feel about you RM....:inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

I don't think any of my issues have to do with the mods being chicks. Stupid is stupid. I don't differentiate between guy stupid and chick stupid!

Necks_Fan
10-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Politics is never fun. For you.:D

Ranger Mom
10-08-2008, 01:45 PM
I don't think any of my issues have to do with the mods being chicks. Stupid is stupid. I don't differentiate between guy stupid and chick stupid!

Your issues go way back before this board was even created!!:hand:

jason
10-08-2008, 01:47 PM

AIMEE TEEGARDEN: Recent polls show a fifth of Americans can't locate the US on a world map. Why do you think this is?

MISS TEEN SOUTH CAROLINA: I personally believe that US Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps, and I believe that our education, like such as South Africa and the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should -- our education over here in the US should help the US -- or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our children.

waterboy
10-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Somehow, being as I'm an old and married man, I can relate to that.:D

You know I love ya, don't ya, RM?:inlove:

Truthfully, I admire what y'all do. I have ALOT of respect for y'all, too. I'm not sucking up, either! I know I couldn't, nor would I want to, do what y'all do. This site is too big and has too many members for me to keep up with. I'd probably be much less tolerant and would be ROM-ing people left and right all day until all that was left were those people that know I'm right about everything.:D :D You either think like I think, or you're outa here!:hand: :D

Necks_Fan
10-08-2008, 02:24 PM
AIMEE TEEGARDEN: Recent polls show a fifth of Americans can't locate the US on a world map. Why do you think this is?

MISS TEEN SOUTH CAROLINA: I personally believe that US Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps, and I believe that our education, like such as South Africa and the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should -- our education over here in the US should help the US -- or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our children. Haha! Lol. That was priceless.

Bullaholic
10-08-2008, 02:34 PM
For Jason:

http://www.pcpros-tx.com/shelion.jpg

JR2004
10-08-2008, 02:49 PM

MISS TEEN SOUTH CAROLINA: I personally believe that US Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps, and I believe that our education, like such as South Africa and the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should -- our education over here in the US should help the US -- or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our children.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

kepdawg
10-08-2008, 04:30 PM
I wish I had the power to post on closed threads! :)

Emerson1
10-08-2008, 04:31 PM
I think if a thread is closed by one mod it should just be left to die. Not be on it's way off the first page and brought back a day later just to get your $.02 in with a ":dispntd: :dispntd: :dispntd: "

WylieBulldog92
10-08-2008, 04:33 PM

At least Aimee Teegarden said an intelligent question?

LH Panther Mom
10-08-2008, 05:28 PM
I think if a thread is closed by one mod it should just be left to die. Not be on it's way off the first page and brought back a day later just to get your $.02 in with a ":dispntd: :dispntd: :dispntd: "
Too bad it had to be closed in the first place! I'd like to think that someone that age doesn't feel the need to belittle someone like that, but I realize that's asking for a lot.

Emerson1
10-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Too bad it had to be closed in the first place! I'd like to think that someone that age doesn't feel the need to belittle someone like that, but I realize that's asking for a lot.
Still don't see why y'all just can't delete the offending post and ban the person from the thread like you said you would in the first place when I called the mods pansies and they got all offensive about it.

In that one case it's an easy fix, I understand an entire thread being taken over like in some cases, but that could have easily been taken care of by clicking maybe a couple of more times then what it did to close the thread.

Ranger Mom
10-08-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm confused now!

garciap77
10-08-2008, 05:58 PM
I wish I had the power to post on closed threads! :)

You have!
:)

Ranger Mom
10-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Still don't see why y'all just can't delete the offending post and ban the person from the thread like you said you would in the first place when I called the mods pansies and they got all offensive about it.

In that one case it's an easy fix, I understand an entire thread being taken over like in some cases, but that could have easily been taken care of by clicking maybe a couple of more times then what it did to close the thread.

I can already see the writing on the wall. If we HAD deleted that post and thread banned the "offender"...how long before somebody came on crying...So and so posted a college based thread..why can't the rest of us??" waa waa waa

The problem I see with that is we give you and inch and you take a mile. (Not YOU personally, but you know what I mean!!)

It doesn't matter WHAT we do....someone isn't gonna like it!! Too many varying personalities in one place!!

Emerson1
10-08-2008, 06:21 PM
I can already see the writing on the wall. If we HAD deleted that post and thread banned the "offender"...how long before somebody came on crying...So and so posted a college based thread..why can't the rest of us??" waa waa waa

The problem I see with that is we give you and inch and you take a mile. (Not YOU personally, but you know what I mean!!)

It doesn't matter WHAT we do....someone isn't gonna like it!! Too many varying personalities in one place!!
This all goes back to BEFORE college threads were even banned y'all wouldn't ban individuals from threads or even suspend entirely for a day or two.

Ranger Mom
10-08-2008, 06:40 PM
This all goes back to BEFORE college threads were even banned y'all wouldn't ban individuals from threads or even suspend entirely for a day or two.

I have never looked on a thread without being signed in on a moderator name. Can y'all tell if someone has been thread banned??

Emerson1
10-08-2008, 07:11 PM
No

CenTexSports
10-08-2008, 07:13 PM
I recently went to a corporate meeting and one of the VP's talked about the age diversity of the company. He talked about generations from WWI through the current (millenium) generation that is not yet in the workforce.

The one thing that he said that pertains to your original question is that the "Golden Rule" has been replaced by the "Platinum Rule". Your (RM) and my generation baby boomers went by the "Treat others as you want to be treated!"

The "Platinum Rule" is what the current generation of new workers goes by and it is "Treat others the way THEY want to be treated!"

The other major difference is we were taught that we get an education (or not) and then work hard to get the things we want. The current generation goes on the premise that they got the education and they are ENTITLED to get a high paying job with good benefits.

I think this generation change (about the third since the baby boomers) is the cause of your frustration.

Emerson1
10-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports

I think this generation change (about the third since the baby boomers) is the cause of your frustration.
What age would you say this "generation" is?

CenTexSports
10-08-2008, 07:21 PM
There was a slide that broke down the generations since 1918. There were some overlaps but I think it would be from about 19 to 26.

The point of his talk was that as managers we need to use different tools based on the age of the associates we manage. It was not a cut or put down, just an observation on the changing nature of the newest group of working age folks.

Emerson1
10-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
but I think it would be from about 19 to 26.

Good thing I am only 18 ;)

But really if you look at the age of most of the people who cause problems here, outside of Go Blue and Jason a lot of it comes from the 30+ year olds.

Ranger Mom
10-08-2008, 07:37 PM
No

Then how do you have any idea who or how often we thread ban??

On the mod screens there are options under each and every username.

Thread band this user.
Warn
View user warnings

Also under each name are boxes letting us know who has been thread banned, warned, suspended and finally banned.

I believe the ONLY thing the "general public:" can see is who has been "benched" or "ejected".

We thread ban people all the time....most just don't feel the need to start a separate thread asking why they were banned!!

cameron91
10-08-2008, 07:40 PM
i like mustard on my hot dogs..where that threads .dats a classic.you should have hall of fame threads..:D

Emerson1
10-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Then how do you have any idea who or how often we thread ban??

On the mod screens there are options under each and every username.

Thread band this user.
Warn
View user warnings

Also under each name are boxes letting us know who has been thread banned, warned, suspended and finally banned.

I believe the ONLY thing the "general public:" can see is who has been "benched" or "ejected".

We thread ban people all the time....most just don't feel the need to start a separate thread asking why they were banned!!
Because you can go through the threads and see that the person causing the problems is in it to the very end.

JR2004
10-08-2008, 07:48 PM
I honestly think there should be some kind of "reward" for being a consistent donating member!!

Several ideas about that have been batted around several times!!

This is certainly my opinion only and I realize this is a free site and we will NEVER charge anyone to post or read....but, IMO, if you have never donated a penny to this site, I don't feel you have a right to gripe!!

Let me rephrase that.....I personally will take a donating members opinion over one that hasn't donated!!

That is probably wrong of me, but that is just how I feel! I don't believe that anyone here couldn't afford to donate $10. For myself, I try to donate a little every few months!!

That is just how I feel about it!!

I think this thread is silly, but that response stands out. Is that what you honestly believe?

Ranger Mom
10-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
I think this thread is silly, but that response stands out. Is that what you honestly believe?

Yep....but that is my opinion and my opinion only!!

Eagle 1
10-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Of all the message boards, this one is definately the strictest....(from a non-donating member opinion).:D

However....I can see why it has to be.

piratebg
10-08-2008, 08:09 PM
I love this place. My only beef is the Non-Sports Forum. I think it's stupid and unnecessary. Thats about it. No other gripes come to mind. :)

Ranger Mom
10-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
Of all the message boards, this one is definately the strictest....(from a non-donating member opinion).:D

However....I can see why it has to be.

I feel the need to explain my position on the non-donating vs. donating statement.

When someone comes on here telling us what all we are doing wrong and what they think needs to be done to make this a better board, I automatically look to see if they are a donating member....9 times out of 10 they aren't.

On the flip side, 9 out of 10 times when a positive thread about the way the board is run is made, it is normally by a donating member.

I feel a donating member knows we are trying our best to make this the best board we possibly can.

Do I like all the rules we have in place?? Not particularly....but like I said earlier, we didn't just all the sudden pull these rules out of our butts "just cause!"

There was reason and a need for each and every one. Do I agree with all the rules? Personally.....No!!

But.....we do things behind the scenes on the majority rules basis Sometimes I win one...sometimes I don't....that's life!! But I made a pledge 5 years ago to moderate this board to the best of my ability....and whether anyone choses to believe it or not.....we all have the board's best interest at heart.

Anyone that has been on this board for any length of time knows I am an open book....I say exactly what I feel (and sometimes cringe afterwards) but that is just me. Am I flawed in my thinking at times?? Heck yeah I am....and I don't mind admitting it and saying there are times when a decision I have made or something I said was wrong....shocking, I know!!

Live and learn!

sinfan75
10-08-2008, 08:12 PM
:1popcorn: :1popcorn: :1popcorn: :1popcorn: :1popcorn: I ain't never used the popcorn smiley before.:D

Pick6
10-08-2008, 08:24 PM
I guess if everyone keeps up the Cowboys suck and the Texans suck, pro football will be off limits also. :rolleyes:

Ranger Mom
10-08-2008, 08:26 PM
I guess if everyone keeps up the Cowboys suck and the Texans suck, pro football will be off limits also. :rolleyes:

It's weird.....except for g$$, I don't think I have ever really seen a pro football thread go off on a tangent like so many college threads do!!

Emerson1
10-08-2008, 09:02 PM
It's weird.....except for g$$, I don't think I have ever really seen a pro football thread go off on a tangent like so many college threads do!!
Probably because 99% of the people here are either Cowboys or Texans fans, but in college you have fans of a lot of teams

crzyjournalist03
10-09-2008, 09:55 AM

So, can I be the first to propose that we ban all mention of the Houston Texans until they can prove that they're actually a pro team and not a college team??? :D :D :D

BreckTxLonghorn
10-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
So, can I be the first to propose that we ban all mention of the Houston Texans until they can prove that they're actually a pro team and not a college team??? :D :D :D

Hahah I second. I went to a game last week--they even have a band like a college! What more proof tod you need?:)

Eagle 1
10-09-2008, 01:34 PM
I feel the need to explain my position on the non-donating vs. donating statement.

When someone comes on here telling us what all we are doing wrong and what they think needs to be done to make this a better board, I automatically look to see if they are a donating member....9 times out of 10 they aren't.

On the flip side, 9 out of 10 times when a positive thread about the way the board is run is made, it is normally by a donating member.

I feel a donating member knows we are trying our best to make this the best board we possibly can.

Do I like all the rules we have in place?? Not particularly....but like I said earlier, we didn't just all the sudden pull these rules out of our butts "just cause!"

There was reason and a need for each and every one. Do I agree with all the rules? Personally.....No!!

But.....we do things behind the scenes on the majority rules basis Sometimes I win one...sometimes I don't....that's life!! But I made a pledge 5 years ago to moderate this board to the best of my ability....and whether anyone choses to believe it or not.....we all have the board's best interest at heart.

Anyone that has been on this board for any length of time knows I am an open book....I say exactly what I feel (and sometimes cringe afterwards) but that is just me. Am I flawed in my thinking at times?? Heck yeah I am....and I don't mind admitting it and saying there are times when a decision I have made or something I said was wrong....shocking, I know!!

Live and learn!

I too feel the need to explain my position on the non-donating vs. donating statement.
Even if I was a donating member, I wouldnt never tell anybody how to run their mb.
I moderate three other message boards, so I know how frustrating it can be at times.
Just remember, the best government is the least governed.
I think you all have been doing a fine job of keeping this site very respectable. As you get more members, you will have more idiots to deal with, its gonna get tougher to keep control of the board, and not make the members feel like they are the ones being controlled.

As for the college threads.
We had a problem with that too over on 1Atexasfootball.com.
Our solution was to make a forum just for college talk. It still has to be moderated, but not near as much as it did when people were free to talk about college football in the high school football forum.
For the first time ever, I will agree with Emerson.
"The reason you have problems with college football threads is because 99% of the people here are either Cowboys or Texans fans, but in college you have fans of a lot of teams ."

kepdawg
02-20-2009, 01:10 PM
:evilgrin:

Bullaholic
02-20-2009, 01:14 PM
:evilgrin:

Just wantin' to spice your Friday up a little, kep? :D

Keith7
02-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Probably because 99% of the people here are either Cowboys or Texans fans, but in college you have fans of a lot of teams

Not me.. I hate the Cowgirls.. and why would I care about the Texans? thats minor league stuff