PDA

View Full Version : brandon backe

coach
10-07-2008, 01:12 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-astros-backearrest&prov=ap&type=lgns

JR2004
10-07-2008, 02:52 AM
Read that about an hour or so ago. That's wild.

The Ravens
10-07-2008, 03:39 AM
Wedding Crashers 2 :D

State_In_08
10-07-2008, 04:47 AM
I go to his old school (Galveston College... JUCO) and that is just wild.

Maroon87
10-07-2008, 11:54 AM
According to KPRC last night the Galveston PD is launching an internal probe. Naturally, someone had video of one of the wedding guests getting tasered, and several witnesses said the cops were out of line and that Backe was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

SWMustang
10-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Looks like even the police can hit Backe

LH Panther Mom
10-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Looks like even the police can hit Backe
LOL! :doh:

Okay, maybe I missed something when I read the story this morning. But why were the police there to begin with? Was there some problem? :confused:

Maroon87
10-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
LOL! :doh:

Okay, maybe I missed something when I read the story this morning. But why were the police there to begin with? Was there some problem? :confused:

Apparently the wedding guests had moved from the reception hall to a nearby club for the rest of the evening, and that's where things went haywire.

Maroon87
10-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Backe's lawyer files complaint over arrest stemming from wedding brawl
Associated Press

The attorney for Houston Astros pitcher Brandon Backe, one of 10 people arrested this month during a brawl at a wedding reception, alleged in a complaint to the FBI that Galveston police violated his clients' civil rights.

Attorney Bob Moen, who represents Backe and six others arrested in the incident, said he met with FBI agents on Wednesday to ensure there is a fair investigation into the incident.

"I have initiated a formal complaint against the officers involved for their actions against the clients I represent for violating their civil rights," Moen told Houston TV station KRIV.

Police spokesman Capt. Walter Braun has said an internal affairs investigation has been launched into the incident. Braun did not immediately return a message left by The Associated Press on Friday.

Backe was among 10 people arrested Oct. 5 when a wedding reception at a hotel bar disintegrated into a brawl with police. Witnesses have said police used excessive force. The father and brother of the bride were stunned with a Taser, and one of them was pepper-sprayed.

The brawl escalated after police tried to arrest the bride's brother for allegedly entering a pool bar area with an open liquor container. During a struggle, the brother hit one officer in the chest and another in the face. Others at the bar piled on when police tried to handcuff him, according to police reports.

Backe, 30, a member of the wedding party, ignored police orders to back away from the fight, and struggled with officers who were attempting to handcuff him, according to police reports. One officer said he hit Backe twice in the face before handcuffing him.

Backe was charged with interfering with a police officer and resisting arrest, both misdemeanors.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press