PDA

View Full Version : Platooning in 3A?

Bullaholic
10-06-2008, 01:37 PM
How do you feel about platooning in 3A, with separate offense and defense units? Should the best athletes go both ways?

I think the compromise is the best solution---separate units in the main with selected players going both ways. That is how the Bulls do it, but in some past years the offense and defense were pretty segregated. That won us some games in the 4th quarter, but also may have cost us some---which was a big topic around here, especially in the down years.

thatboiwes
10-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Gilmer does a compromise. They have a base unit for both offense and defense with a few select players that go both ways. I don't believe anyone starts on both sides of the ball, but a few get signifcant reps both ways. Paul Chesnut and DJ Stanley are 2 that really pop out as players to play several reps both ways. Both double as DB's and WR's.

Every now and then, when the defense needs a big stop they will send an offensive lineman or 2 in on the defensive line. Doesn't happen often though. Only when there is a run heavy team, like Kilgore or Liberty Hill.

sinton66
10-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Platooning should only happen if both squads are heavily armed.;)

BILLYFRED0000
10-06-2008, 03:03 PM
In years past we have done it both ways depending on certain key players. For example 3 time all stater Jamie Blatnick (now an osu cowboy) played both ways on the lines. and some others but for the most part we tried to get two full squads.

c-town_balla
10-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Cameron has done it for about the last 5 years. Usally allows us to power over people in the 4th.

Global Swarming
10-06-2008, 03:15 PM
You should always play the best players if they prove that they can handle it, and it doesn't wear them down too much. Conditioning has alot to do with whether or not a player can handle going both ways. It also has to do with how many players you have on a team.

popcorn screen
10-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Best ath should play both ways with spot subbing for rest & recovery.

bobcat74
10-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by popcorn screen
Best ath should play both ways with spot subbing for rest & recovery.

The chance of injury for your star RB or WR on defense doubles and is in most cases not worth the risk IMO.

swstangs001
10-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
How do you feel about platooning in 3A, with separate offense and defense units? Should the best athletes go both ways?

I think the compromise is the best solution---separate units in the main with selected players going both ways. That is how the Bulls do it, but in some past years the offense and defense were pretty segregated. That won us some games in the 4th quarter, but also may have cost us some---which was a big topic around here, especially in the down years.

alot of guys in sweetwater go both ways, but they can handle it and have the ability to do it

Daddy D 11
10-07-2008, 09:32 AM
I think it's a bad idea, there's a reason why college and pro teams dont ask their players to go both ways..because it's not smart. Now yes, high school is a slightly different situation. But the same idea still applies in my opinion.

The first thing our players asked Monday morning was "How many kids go both ways?" If it was a large number..it was going to be a fun game:D In 3A, we might have faced one team (Celina) that ever successfully pulled off having kids go both ways, and even those boys were sucking wind early in the fourth.

Txbroadcaster
10-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
I think it's a bad idea, there's a reason why college and pro teams dont ask their players to go both ways..because it's not smart. Now yes, high school is a slightly different situation. But the same idea still applies in my opinion.

The first thing our players asked Monday morning was "How many kids go both ways?" If it was a large number..it was going to be a fun game:D In 3A, we might have faced one team (Celina) that ever successfully pulled off having kids go both ways, and even those boys were sucking wind early in the fourth.

I have seen MANY teams in 3A win with a good amount of players going both way

Daddy D 11
10-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I have seen MANY teams in 3A win with a good amount of players going both way

Maybe win games against teams that are inferior? Not great teams. A team that's going to play alot of their players both ways against good teams will wear down late in the game and the other team will take advantage.

Texasfootball2
10-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Maybe win games against teams that are inferior? Not great teams. A team that's going to play alot of their players both ways against good teams will wear down late in the game and the other team will take advantage.

I have to agree with Daddy D:thumbsup:

Txbroadcaster
10-07-2008, 10:01 AM

just to be safe..not saying all 11 on O are switching to play D or anything like that but

Atlanta in 03 played key players both ways and was DOMINATING

Tatum won state two years ago in 3A playing key players both ways..those are just a couple of examples

again not saying all players, but many teams who succeed play 3-6 players both way

Daddy D 11
10-07-2008, 10:10 AM
just to be safe..not saying all 11 on O are switching to play D or anything like that but

Atlanta in 03 played key players both ways and was DOMINATING

Tatum won state two years ago in 3A playing key players both ways..those are just a couple of examples

again not saying all players, but many teams who succeed play 3-6 players both way

Oh i agree with you completly, there are always exceptions to everything in the world. You've obviously seen things that i have not, and vice versa. I have only rarely seen it work, Cuero played 5-6 boths ways and they died quick against us, and Gilmer did about the same, and that ended ugly too. Pratt tried to do that for Navasota and he was sucking wind in the 2nd. In the '06 semis Hondo had multiple players going both ways and that was real ugly. Heck, in '04 and '05 when LH tried to do it with a few players, we completly died. It effected both sides of the ball greatly.

Txbroadcaster
10-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Oh i agree with you completly, there are always exceptions to everything in the world. You've obviously seen things that i have not, and vice versa. I have only rarely seen it work, Cuero played 5-6 boths ways and they died quick against us, and Gilmer did about the same, and that ended ugly too. Pratt tried to do that for Navasota and he was sucking wind in the 2nd. In the '06 semis Hondo had multiple players going both ways and that was real ugly. Heck, in '04 and '05 when LH tried to do it with a few players, we completly died. It effected both sides of the ball greatly.

I think alot of that is because of the O LH runs..it when working is going to wear down a defense that only plays one way as is

Daddy D 11
10-07-2008, 10:18 AM
I think alot of that is because of the O LH runs..it when working is going to wear down a defense that only plays one way as is
That is very true, i thought about that after i posted. For the most part, i see LH games..so that's where my bias comes from.

PPSTATEBOUND
10-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Pilot Point is able to start 22 different kids this year..might be a first in school history.....has helped our four starting R-backs avg.9.0 or better this year.....PP will bring in key secondary players at times when needed.....really wears down most 2A schools having to go against fresh bodies all the time, while going both ways themselves...

JR2004
10-07-2008, 01:31 PM
We don't have a player this year that goes both ways. We have one offensive lineman who see a few snaps on defense each week, but that's about it.

Necks_Fan
10-07-2008, 02:02 PM
We have several players that go both ways....

Taylor Lane- WR/S*
Dexter Lewis- RB/Cb*
Matt Podojil- FB/LB*
Dylan Johnican- RB/LB*
Trey Maret- **FB/LB
Logan Hernandez- **WR/S
Christian Gerbich- WR/Cb**
Darius Lewis- **OT/DT

* Indicates players that play nearly every snap of the game.

the others start on offense or defense and see significant PT on the opposite side of the ball but are not every down players for both.

** Indicates their PRIMARY position.

JR2004
10-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
We have several players that go both ways....

Taylor Lane- WR/S*
Dexter Lewis- RB/Cb*
Matt Podojil- FB/LB*
Dylan Johnican- RB/LB*
Trey Maret- **FB/LB
Logan Hernandez- **WR/S
Christian Gerbich- WR/Cb**
Darius Lewis- **OT/DT

* Indicates players that play nearly every snap of the game.

the others start on offense or defense and see significant PT on the opposite side of the ball but are not every down players for both.

** Indicates their PRIMARY position.

If you had gone out there maybe they'd have a little more depth!

WOS1
10-07-2008, 03:40 PM
WOS has always had players going both ways... ALWAYS. Including state title years. I've heard to many times to count about how, "a good team will wear you out in the 4th". Well, normally it's those "good teams" that are sucking wind in the 4th trying to wear us out. If a team is well conditioned, it can be done, and be done well.

It also depends on how it's done. Our coaches have several players go both ways and play one position. For example, we have 5 players who play on the defensive line as well as right and left offensive tackle. They rotate them in and out on both sides so none of them are on the field all night. The system works pretty well. The only players who neve leave the field are those who play DB and WR. They don't have as tough a job as lineman and LB's.

Daddy D 11
10-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
WOS has always had players going both ways... ALWAYS. Including state title years. I've heard to many times to count about how, "a good team will wear you out in the 4th". Well, normally it's those "good teams" that are sucking wind in the 4th trying to wear us out. If a team is well conditioned, it can be done, and be done well.

My Bad:rolleyes:

WOS1
10-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Hey man, I didn't mean to come off the wrong way. It may have sounded like it, but I didn't mean anything "faunk" by that post.

Daddy D 11
10-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Hey man, I didn't mean to come off the wrong way. It may have sounded like it, but I didn't mean anything "faunk" by that post.
No, i know that. I was just messing with ya. One thing i've never seen is a WOS football game, so I have no idea what kind of talent yall have..ive just heard all about it.

WOS1
10-07-2008, 03:54 PM
No, i know that. I was just messing with ya. One thing i've never seen is a WOS football game, so I have no idea what kind of talent yall have..ive just heard all about it.

SPEED

I would like to see a WOS/LH game, we just haven't been to the semi's at the same time yet... maybe this will be the year!:D

Daddy D 11
10-07-2008, 04:03 PM
SPEED

I would like to see a WOS/LH game, we just haven't been to the semi's at the same time yet... maybe this will be the year!:D

Aren't yall still Region III? We would have to meet in the state final then:devil:

WOS1
10-07-2008, 04:08 PM
I thought LH was region IV now. That means semifinals.

JR2004
10-07-2008, 04:22 PM
I thought LH was region IV now. That means semifinals.

Region I

ProudHornetMom
10-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Caldwell has 2 platooned the past 3 years. It is very rare for a player to play both ways now with our game scheme. Four years ago, in a crucial game, two of our best players who were playing both ways, ended up being injured and out the 2nd half. If players players play both ways and get hurt...it's like losing 4 players. We learned our lesson.

Wolf Playa
10-07-2008, 06:50 PM
We have 39 players on Dalharts varsity and about 6 of us play both ways, and hardly get a rest =(

jambo67
10-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Depends on participation. A lot of schools have every eligible kid suited up, and they can sub. Some schools have a P.E. class that could win State but they are playing dodgeball.