PDA

View Full Version : Why Is Liberty Hill So Good?

Bullaholic
10-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Why has Liberty Hill been, not just good, but probably the best 3A team for the past 3 seasons or so? What have they done different or better in just a few seasons to start and continue the kind of success that every high school team dreams about?

DaHop72
10-06-2008, 10:02 AM
More cowbell. :D :D

Bullaholic
10-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
More cowbell. :D :D

Maybe because the other team doen't want to face LHPM if LH lost? :D

firstcat
10-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Why has Liberty Hill been, not just good, but probably the best 3A team for the past 3 seasons or so? What have they done different or better in just a few seasons to start and continue the kind of success that every high school team dreams about?

IMO, it is the system. We don't rely on any particular star
athlete(s) whose shoes are difficult to fill year in and year out, although there is always much debate on this forum on that subject.
The coaches believe the philosophy, sell the system to the kids in the 7th grade, and they buy into it 150%. It is the off-season training & conditioning, and the devotion that this group of "small" athletes with their HUGE hearts give to the whole program.
But, DON"T FORGET the fan support! ;)
And just for the record, it hasn't been for just a few seasons...some of these seniors have only tasted one loss since the 7th grade. They've made some amazing memories and provided this Panther Fan with hours and hours of irreplaceable entertainment and pride!

Bullaholic
10-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by firstcat
IMO, it is the system. We don't rely on any particular star
athlete(s) whose shoes are difficult to fill year in and year out, although there is always much debate on this forum on that subject.
The coaches believe the philosophy, sell the system to the kids in the 7th grade, and they buy into it 150%. It is the off-season training & conditioning, and the devotion that this group of "small" athletes with their HUGE hearts give to the whole program.
But, DON"T FORGET the fan support! ;)
And just for the record, it hasn't been for just a few seasons...some of these seniors have only tasted one loss since the 7th grade. They've made some amazing memories and provided this Panther Fan with hours and hours of irreplaceable entertainment and pride!

Good info, cat. I know LH has an impressive win record short of the title years, and so do many others, but it is the begining of the possiblity of the accrual of mulitple state titles that puts LH in exclusive company. Is the LH consecutive win record currently the best in 3A?

LH Panther Mom
10-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Is the LH consecutive win record currently the best in 3A?
I know that Cuero was 3A during the 44iar run and I'm sure that there were other 3A teams with longer streaks.

Bullaholic
10-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I know that Cuero was 3A during the 44iar run and I'm sure that there were other 3A teams with longer streaks.

I'm asking if LH owns the current best active win streak, not the all-time.

Daddy D 11
10-06-2008, 10:36 AM

We have the longest in any classification right now:)

LH Panther Mom
10-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Okay, I wasn't sure. Yes, current best for all classes.

Bullaholic
10-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Okay, I wasn't sure. Yes, current best for all classes.

How many?

LH Panther Mom
10-06-2008, 10:41 AM

Bullaholic
10-06-2008, 11:08 AM

You, and the streak the same age.....imagine that. :D

solocam
10-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Suck Up:)

LH Panther Mom
10-06-2008, 11:11 AM
If we have any more games like Friday night, I'll be aging at the same rate. :eek: :eek: :D

WildTexan972
10-06-2008, 05:13 PM
recruiting has improved.....

Bullaholic
10-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
recruiting has improved.....

I'm going to interpret that as an attempt to be humorous....a fan from your town(if you truly are from Celina) has got to appreciate being painted with that brush more than just about anybody.

CelinaCatFan
10-06-2008, 05:24 PM
In no particular order, I would say the system, coaching, and community support.

(These are the same things that have contributed to Celina's success too).

themsu97
10-06-2008, 05:38 PM
I have a good idea....;) :rolleyes: :thinking:

but I will go with they get after it on every play

headhunter
10-06-2008, 05:42 PM
The kids buy into the system. That is probably the biggest reason why LH is so dominant. Also I believe that once you win one state title it rubs off on the kids and allows them to realize how special winning a state championship can be.

Winning is contagious and it did not start 2 years ago. It took some tough losses to get those kids motivated to become better and get over the hump. I applaud the coaching staff and the players. The offense they run is really not your typical offense to win with these days. Most teams/coaches like to spread the field and use a balanced attack. LH has great class, they understand that they can be beat and are very humble about winning. Everyone knows that in high school football you can be beat on any given night by anybody. It is amazing that the coaches and the kids can continue to get up every week and take on an opponent who they know is going to throw everything they got at them and play their hearts out to try and knock off the #1 team. Again it goes back to winning is contagious.

One more point is that I am a firm believer in defense wins championships and LH's defense has improved every year. Yes they will meet someone who can slow down their offense, that is when you will realize how good their defense has become.

Even though I am not a huge fan of the slot T, I appreciate what LH has done and what they continue to do. They have a great coaching staff, great kids who work hard, and are supported by their community. Good Luck.

slingshot
10-06-2008, 05:47 PM
After playing them this year I would say this--the system... impressive indeed... the athletes--those boys are NOT small!... the coach--coming from someone with a great coach, that guy is the real deal... the town--behind the team 1000%... confidence--not cockiness, just sheer confidence no matter the situation. Put it all together--you have Liberty Hill. Enjoy the ride!

nobogey72
10-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by headhunter
The kids buy into the system. That is probably the biggest reason why LH is so dominant. Also I believe that once you win one state title it rubs off on the kids and allows them to realize how special winning a state championship can be.

Winning is contagious and it did not start 2 years ago. It took some tough losses to get those kids motivated to become better and get over the hump. I applaud the coaching staff and the players. The offense they run is really not your typical offense to win with these days. Most teams/coaches like to spread the field and use a balanced attack. LH has great class, they understand that they can be beat and are very humble about winning. Everyone knows that in high school football you can be beat on any given night by anybody. It is amazing that the coaches and the kids can continue to get up every week and take on an opponent who they know is going to throw everything they got at them and play their hearts out to try and knock off the #1 team. Again it goes back to winning is contagious.

One more point is that I am a firm believer in defense wins championships and LH's defense has improved every year. Yes they will meet someone who can slow down their offense, that is when you will realize how good their defense has become.

Even though I am not a huge fan of the slot T, I appreciate what LH has done and what they continue to do. They have a great coaching staff, great kids who work hard, and are supported by their community. Good Luck.

Bingo!!! Selling kids on old school smash mouth offensive football was no easy feat. The fact that other teams only see it once a year, and usually have one week to get ready for something that is impossible to similate in practice IMO is a big factor. It was fun to watch (even though they beat us).

Eagle 1
10-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Sometimes its better to be lucky than good.
Just ask Miles Austin.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/cowsCRAYTON-thumb-250x398.gif

espn1
10-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Why has Liberty Hill been, not just good, but probably the best 3A team for the past 3 seasons or so? What have they done different or better in just a few seasons to start and continue the kind of success that every high school team dreams about? I think it has to do with the fact that, up until a few years ago they had very few forks in their family trees.:D :D :D

Actually the whole Hill Country isn't too far removed! LH Just has a great system in place that utilizes team work and seems to reload every year. They have a great program across the board not just football!

popcorn screen
10-06-2008, 09:34 PM
solid coaching and a ball control offense that works the hell out of the clock.

bobcat74
10-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Execution, Determination, and good coaching of course.
;)

bobcat74
10-07-2008, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Athletes, luck, and habit of winning/success.

I have to disagree with you on that one. Yes they have those qualities, but the system will still work when these athletes are long gone.

Also, luck is the residue of hard work and determination.

And lastly, I'm going to sleep...:sleeping:

IHStangFan
10-07-2008, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
Sometimes its better to be lucky than good.
Just ask Miles Austin.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/cowsCRAYTON-thumb-250x398.gif LOL...stop it.....seriously. If LH is "lucky" I'm sending LHPM $20 in the morning and instructing her to buy me lotto tickets, because 2 state titles in a row....30 game win streak...that's ALOT of luck!

State_In_08
10-07-2008, 04:55 AM
Much respect to Liberty Hill from here in Navasota... I really do respect them after what they did to us last year, and wished we'd have the chance to have a rematch.

But my opinion is just perfection of a system, and not really having just a couple of outstanding players, but having 11 really good ones. It seems that with Liberty Hill, the concept of team is the most important thing in that locker room, as well as every single player buying into a system and doing what they need to do to be successful. And obviously its worked... 30 or so wins and counting.

LH Panther Mom
10-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Copy the LH system and run it at Venus, they still go 0-10. Every system is great, and every system sucks. It's not the system.
And no one, I repeat, no one has ever won a state championship without catching quite a few breaks.
I tend to agree with you. It's not necessarily the system itself that had brought us success. I think the timing and the methods Coach Vance used to implement it "back in the day" had a lot to do with it. And yes, we've had some athletic kids come up through the "system". We also had some before Coach Vance and staff's arrival. Chase Wasson ring any bells? 2-8 and 0-5. So while it may not be the system itself, it was the belief in the system and the coaching staff by the kids THEN. And yes, luck has had something to do with it as well.

cshscougar08
10-07-2008, 08:38 AM
I think this whole run can be attributed to Coach Vance and his staff. Who implemented the system? They did. Who got the players to buy into it? They did. Who knows how to prepare these kids week in and week out? They do. It all starts with good coaching and Coach Vance and his staff have done a beyond exceptional job in taking this Liberty Hill program to the next level.