PDA

View Full Version : Burnet vs. Everman State Title Predictions

2KDawg
12-07-2002, 11:42 PM
Alright guys lets get it started... looks like forney gave everman a game, lets here what everyone predicts! I would also like to see some team comparisons...
Go BURNET DAWGS!! Take state!

sinton66
12-08-2002, 12:07 AM
If Burnet keeps their composure, stays focused, and manages to make no mistakes, they win this one by 7. But, Burnet fans, I PROMISE , you will see more speed than Sinton had, more speed than you WANT to see, especially on defense. You will also see Everman be able to keep fresh legs at the RB positions in the game using a stable of 4 or 5 very good running backs. Benton is a very savvy quarterback that seems to always make good decisions. I don't know what Everman's line looks like this year, but they have excellent skill players. Should be a heck of a game. Go Burnet!

BarneyBulldawg4President
12-08-2002, 12:23 AM
Hey 66 thanks so much for your support! Listened to the Everman/forney game was a nailbiter to the end. This team has made this little Central Texas town so proud it's indescribable. We are there. If we win??Hallelujah!!! If we lose, then we will walk away heads held high! The coaches didn't just teach these guys how to make plays, they taught them respect and dignity. The lessons learned out on the field will stick with these young men for a very long time.

GO BIG GREEN!!!! :D :D

sntnpirate1316
12-08-2002, 12:26 AM
burnet by 6

BarneyBulldawg4President
12-08-2002, 12:29 AM
Hey 66 thanks so much for your support! Listened to the Everman/forney game was a nailbiter to the end. This team has made this little Central Texas town so proud it's indescribable. We are there. If we win??Hallelujah!!! If we lose, then we will walk away heads held high! The coaches didn't just teach these guys how to make plays, they taught them respect and dignity. The lessons learned out on the field will stick with these young men for a very long time.

GO BIG GREEN!!!! :D :D

<small>[ December 07, 2002, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: BarneyBulldawg4President ]</small>

eye of the tiger
12-08-2002, 12:36 AM
I was most impressed by both Everman's and Burnet's victories tonight. Everman stayed with it and beat a very tough Forney team. Burnet did what many thought was impossible. Not only beat Jasper, but won convincingly. Congrats to both finalists. Both teams well deserve to be where they are.
I am sticking with my Nawth Texas team, Everman by 3. I think we are in for another nail biter. Not many points are going to separate these two teams. I am really looking forward to this game.

surfspike
12-08-2002, 01:23 AM
if everman plays with as many mistakes as they did tonight against us....they can kiss it goodbye. burnet by 7

sinton66
12-08-2002, 12:20 PM
Mistakes are a part of the game, but I've seen enough high school football over the last 40+ years to know that a good defense can make a good offense look bad. I know from experience that Everman is good both offensively and defensively. If they are as solid or better than last year, this will be a great game. Burnet will be slightly shocked by just how fast and good Everman is, because Sinton is as close as they've come to this level of competition. Everman will be as fast as Sinton, but at MORE positions. This is what prompted my "composure" comment.
Another note, Burnet fans, don't expect Everman fans to trash talk, it WON'T happen. They are a class act.

olddog73
12-08-2002, 12:32 PM
Sinton66, I will take class over trash any day, and from what Ive seen of Everman, they are a class act (as Sinton is). This will be a great game and when its over, win or lose, I hope that each side will have a great respect for each other and their communities. Win or lose, what a year! Good luck and have a safe trip to and from SA next weekend.

olddog73
12-08-2002, 12:39 PM
PS; I guess I'd better say, that being from Burnet, I predict that the Green Dawgs will win the game by a 14+ spread. Roll on Green!

sinfan75
12-08-2002, 01:32 PM
I said it at the start of the year and i'll say it now.Until proven otherwise,Everman is the best there is.I take Everman by 6 but I'll be rootin for Burnet.

20StephDawg05
12-08-2002, 02:16 PM
ok yeah i dont have really a score laid out..but i need to know, What is Everman's mascot?

WATCH OUT STATE HERE COME DA DAWGS!!! grrrr baby

<small>[ December 08, 2002, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: 20StephDawg05 ]</small>

evebulldog01
12-08-2002, 02:44 PM
Everman's colors are Purple, Gold, and Black. Our mascot is a Bulldog.

20StephDawg05
12-08-2002, 02:47 PM
Thanks!!! Good Luck Saturday!!!

GO B-Town Ballas!!!

*watch out state here come da dawgs!*

pakrat
12-08-2002, 03:17 PM
If Burnet shows up,,,,they(Burnet)will win!!!!

DawgMama
12-08-2002, 03:26 PM
Why is that Pakrat? Are they smarter than the Everman kids too? wink

pakrat:
I am picking Forney to win because the students at Forney are smarter on average than the students of Everman. Neither team will have the luxury of only "showing up". This game will be a nail-biter to the end.
Good luck to both teams next week, and may the BEST DAWGS win!

<small>[ December 08, 2002, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: DawgMama ]</small>

20StephDawg05
12-08-2002, 03:29 PM
never say "will"...u dont want t jinx us

Birdman
12-08-2002, 04:41 PM
I'll go out on a limb a pick the Bulldogs to take this one!! I haven't decided between the Green Bulldogs or the Purple Bulldogs! Seriously, I can't make an accurate prediction because I have not seen Everman this year. Burnet was very impressive yesterday. I had seen (and played against) Jasper so I was somewhat familiar with their team. Burnet is a very disciplined and well-coached team. The fans and players acted with the utmost class and tip my hat to them. Players as a group, are a reflection of their coaching. Congratulations to the Burnet Bulldogs and best of luck next week. We will be pulling for you!

District303aPastPlayer
12-08-2002, 06:37 PM
Bulldogs by 6.
I will let everyone know which colored bulldogs on Sunday morning.

All kidding aside, I have to say that if Burnet shows up, and brings it all to the table, they should take this one. I saw the thorough dismantling of Sinton, and was shocked. Burnet by 6

rholl
12-08-2002, 06:38 PM
ok heres what I don't understand about this game and maybe a couple of Sinton fans might be able to help me out. I was under the impression that Jasper was not only the biggest but also the fastest team out there. If thats true then Burnet should have seen some speed against Jasper. Now have I heard wrong about the speed??? That being said I was wondering if Burnet could switch to a more traditional ground oriented offense for just this one week?????

SintonFan_inAustin
12-08-2002, 07:08 PM
i'm sure burnets coaches will find the weakest point and attack it. Against sinton it was the quick pitch to the outside with a man in motion and short quick passes. Against wharton it was just up the middle against a helpless defensive line that was getting push out of the play on every play and against jasper they attack the secondary early and often. Seems like some great coaching to me.

Burnet 20
Everman 14

The defenses will show up and be a sluggish offensive performances by both teams. the team that makes the better adjustments will win this game.

spaniard
12-08-2002, 07:17 PM
rholl:
ok heres what I don't understand about this game and maybe a couple of Sinton fans might be able to help me out. I was under the impression that Jasper was not only the biggest but also the fastest team out there. If thats true then Burnet should have seen some speed against Jasper. Now have I heard wrong about the speed??? That being said I was wondering if Burnet could switch to a more traditional ground oriented offense for just this one week?????i think that one thing that got jasper their reputation as a speedster team was because of the overall speed of their offensive line, bc when you have an o-liner that is 6'7" and runs a 4.7, that can get you some attention. also, rodriguez mitchell was one stinkin fast son of a gun, i think that he may have been the fastest guy on their the jasper team, he was pretty dern quick when forced to scramble. i think that our offense will challenge the everman defense both on the ground and in the air, shipley will play at 100% whether his physical being is at that or not, i think that it would take him being chained down in a dang wheelchair for him to not want to be put in. he wouldnt leave coach shipley alone the whole 3rd quarter while he was out. mcgee has the ability to play hurt as well, but he will need to be more mobile this weekend i think in order to be more effective. miller will be fine as will the other offensive starters and players. this is the game i have been waiting for almost as much as burnet and sinton, so its gonna be a fight to see whos top dawg, im pickin my dawgs by 13. :D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-08-2002, 09:18 PM
Way to go Burnet. Man, ya'lls whole team played good. The offensive line deserves a pat on the back, they protected a quarterback who had a torn ACL and held off Jaspers big D-Line. McGee throws pretty dang good for a guy with only one moveable leg. Shipley also had a good game. He was playing with a sprained ankle and was still just as fast as anybody that I've seen play this year. I'm going to be pulling for Burnet. Good Luck Ya'll.

crzyjournalist03
12-08-2002, 10:47 PM
Well, after cheering on the sidelines Saturday night, I think that Everman is very beatable. Forney controlled the tempo of the game for quite a while, and really controlled their own destiny. It didn't look like Everman was dictating anything on the field other than forcing the ball up the middle with their running backs. Unless Everman improves drastically, I don't see them beating Burnet.

BarneyBulldawg4President
12-08-2002, 10:52 PM
Whoa whoa whoa! A torn ACL? Puleeezzzeee....

Nice post big blue but that kinda rumor could start trash talkin on here and we sure don't want any of that.

Awesome Dawg Fan
12-08-2002, 11:36 PM
I look forward to a good game on Saturday. I wish these guys would make up their mind which is the fastest team in the state. Burnet has seen speed all year and has plenty of their own. Last week Jasper was the fastest team in the state, now Everman a few months ago it was Marlin and Sinton. Let's just play the game and look at the scoreboard when it's over. I don't believe it will be posting our 40 times to begin with.

PPHSfan
12-09-2002, 12:03 AM
Ok, I listened to the Burnet vs Jasper game on the radio Saturday and I watched the Everman vs Forney game Saturday night. Man I have seen a bunch of good football games this year. After listening to the Burnet game I was thinking, boy whoever wins the Everman game is going to have their hands full. Then I watched the Everman game and thought, WOW, this is going to be tough.

I will say this. Everman has more super strong fast running backs on one team than I have ever seen at any level. Burnet sounds as though they have a great Offensive Line and a Division 1 receiver in Shipley with a fine QB to deliver the ball.

I think Burnet is going to see more speed than they have seen all year, and that is saying a lot considering their schedule. And I think Everman finaly got a taste this season of a what a real defense can do to make a great offense appear to have a bad day.

I can't forcast a winner in this one with any amount of confidence, but I will say that when I put it all down on paper....and I had some spare time today :D , it looks like maybe Burnet by a hair.

Burnet 28
Everman 27

CLOCKCHOKE
12-09-2002, 12:14 AM
I don't know anything about Burnet, but if they beat Jasper, thats a heck of a team. I saw the Everman and Forney game and if Burnet has a strong running game, there is a darn good a chance they may beat Everman. Their defense will be the key, if they play the run, with a concept of bend but don't break, they will have a good chance of beating Everman. I will predict the purple dawgs by 14. I had predicted Everman with 21 against Forney, but Everman made to many mistakes, big plays called back, turnovers etc,..Everman should win if they stay disciplined, execute and HOLD ON TO THE BALL.

II Timothy
12-09-2002, 12:35 PM
Speed is speed!

As a Forney fan, I never saw as much speed on a high school team as Everman demonstrated, especially the defense chasing down guys around the end. I was totally impressed by Everman's talent. What surprised me was how they could not exploit Forney's weaknesses any better than to win a squeeker. Laury ran off 108 yards against the best defense we have faced. But that was not the best performance Forney had seen, way below the talent level.

I hate to say this, but that could reflect on the coaching. Or, Everman could have been overwhelmed by the stadium. Not sure. Forney could harldy stop Everman, but the dawgs barely pulled out the win.

I have not seen Burnet, or Jasper. I was surprised at the outcome of that game. No predictions here.

spiritpridehonor
12-09-2002, 01:15 PM
I have to root for my BURNET BULLDOGS!!! WOW, they have really proven themselves. Win or lose this game they are the best, on the field or off the field!!! Everyone from Burnet, Everman, Sinton,Liberty Hill, Jasper, and all the other football fans coming have a safe trip. I'll see everyone Saturday! HOW EXCITING IS THIS???

ONE TEAM ONE DREAM
SPIRIT PRIDE HONOR - NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT AWAY
GO MEAN GREEN
GO DAWGS
(ps. did I leave anything out?)

big daddy russ
12-09-2002, 02:47 PM
You know, I haven't seen a whole lot posted about Burnet's running back, but I came away from that game very impressed with him. He's one of those guys that hardly looks like he's running, but for some strange reason he's separating from the defense. He works great with that line, makes good cuts, AND DID A GREAT JOB HOLDING ONTO THE BALL. He holds the ball very, very close to his body and he always has two hands on it when he's going through traffic. Works extremely well with the offensive line, has great vision and has the burst to blow through the hole. I think that kid might be an overlooked part of the Burnet offense, but if he gets a hold of it the opposing offense will probably have to do a whole lot of damage control.

<small>[ December 09, 2002, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: big daddy russ ]</small>

SWTdawg
12-09-2002, 03:20 PM
All I have to say is...
way to go CODY WARNER.

You sure redeemed yourself from last week. I saw that you were pretty down after a couple of miniscule things. This week you sure stepped up with all those miraculous catches and that interception you took back almost to the endzone. Keep it up and show them that Burnet has not only the best receiver in the state for next year, but the best receiving crew in Shipley/Warner. Can't wait to see you guys do this again next year.

Maybe others will respect us then!!!

Awesome Dawg Fan
12-09-2002, 05:47 PM
Big daddy russ I totally agree with you. I believe #23 is one of the best in the state. He often is overshadowed by the passing game only because you seldom see a passing game like Burnet's in 3a ball. But this running back follows his blockers better than anyone I have seen. He is as patient as they come and when the hole comes open he can take it the distance.

HotDawg89
12-09-2002, 05:56 PM
big daddy russ:
You know, I haven't seen a whole lot posted about Burnet's running back, but I came away from that game very impressed with him. He's one of those guys that hardly looks like he's running, but for some strange reason he's separating from the defense. He works great with that line, makes good cuts, AND DID A GREAT JOB HOLDING ONTO THE BALL. He holds the ball very, very close to his body and he always has two hands on it when he's going through traffic. Works extremely well with the offensive line, has great vision and has the burst to blow through the hole. I think that kid might be an overlooked part of the Burnet offense, but if he gets a hold of it the opposing offense will probably have to do a whole lot of damage control.You are so right! Patrick Miller is fantastic. He is very overlooked. I will say that he holds onto the ball much better this year than he did last year! He had several fumbles last year and learned the hard way how to NOT EVER LET GO OF THAT BALL!!! He is a super kid too!

The beauty of Burnet's offense is that if they shut down our passing game, we have Patrick Miller and Chris Levens to move on our running game. It is so difficult to do that. Many teams have made the mistake of double coverage on Shipley, but then it opens Patrick or Chris up to run the ball.

Sweet to watch!

<small>[ December 09, 2002, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: HotDawg89 ]</small>

burnetbulldog123
12-09-2002, 06:08 PM
hey burnet fans i know we will win by a long shot and we will beat Everman!by 14+!!!!! remember

~~~ONE DREAM ONE TEAM~~~
WATCH OUT EVERMAN WE ARE GONNA TEAR U UP!!!! :D GO BIG GREEN

SINTON81
12-10-2002, 04:57 PM
District303aPastPlayer:
Bulldogs by 6.
I will let everyone know which colored bulldogs on Sunday morning.

All kidding aside, I have to say that if Burnet shows up, and brings it all to the table, they should take this one. I saw the thorough dismantling of Sinton, and was shocked. Burnet by 6I don't think you could call Burnet beating Sinton a "thorough dismantling of Sinton". Any one at the game saw that the game was up in the air until Burnet scored thier last td with 48 seconds left in the game. Read the story from the Caller Times, but more importantly look at the stats at the bottom of the story, this was a close game all the way. Total yardage was Sinton 311, Burnet 346, First downs Sinton 13 Burnet 14.

http://www.caller.com/ccct/high_school_sports/article/0,1641,CCCT_821_1580768,00.html

Sinton falls short against Burnet
No. 2 Bulldogs get defensive, knock off top-ranked Pirates in quarterfinal

By Lee Goddard Caller-Times
December 1, 2002

SAN MARCOS - For all the hype about Burnet's offense, the Bulldogs' defense is the reason Burnet is moving on in the postseason, and Sinton's season is over.

In a No. 1 vs. No. 2 battle, second-ranked Burnet held top-ranked Sinton three times on fourth-and-short deep in Burnet territory - including twice late in the fourth quarter - as the Bulldogs downed the Pirates, 19-7, in the Class 3A Division I state quarterfinals Saturday afternoon at Bobcat Stadium.

The Pirates defense checked Burnet's offense to 23 points less than the Bulldogs' per-game average to become the first team this season to hold Burnet to less than 20 points. But the Bulldogs' defense picked up the slack for the offense with crucial fourth-down stands.

"Our offense played well enough to win," said Burnet coach Bob Shipley. "But there's no doubt we won because of the way our defense played."

Burnet (13-0), the Region IV champions with Saturday's victory, move into the state semifinals against Jasper. For Sinton (12-1), which suffered only its second loss in the last 28 games, the quest for a return to the state title game ended a few weeks prematurely.

"We had our chances," said a choked-up Adrian Alaniz, Sinton's quarterback. "We just didn't get it done. It was mental mistakes - done. It was mental mistakes - they hurt us last year, they hurt us this year."

The crowd of 13,774 watched as the Pirates took over the ball in Burnet territory four times - including three times in the first half - and netted zero points from those four possessions.

Sinton failed to convert four fourth downs in the game, including a fourth-and-short on their first drive of the game, and a fourth-and-8 late in the first half.

The Pirates offense just couldn't polish off a drive, as Sinton went three-and-out just once.

"There were a lot of times we could've knocked them out," said Sinton receiver/safety Chance Schmidt. "We just didn't connect."

Sinton's offense was jarred out of its slumber in the third quarter, trailing 13-0. Alaniz, who rushed for 62 yards on 15 carries, began to run the ball more efficiently, and Sinton started to move the ball as the clock ticked over to the fourth quarter.

It took the Pirates eight plays to go 83 yards on their second drive of the second half. A little more than a minute into the fourth, Alaniz tossed a 15-yard pass to Brandon Salone, who moved inside the pylon for the score - the first of the postseason against the Bulldogs' first-team defense.

Sinton's defense, which held Burnet to a season-low 19 points, forced the Bulldogs into a three-and-out series, and following a punt, the Pirates had the ball at their own 15.

It took eight plays - one of them a 52-yard pass from Alaniz to Schmidt - to move to the Burnet 13. Facing fourth down and a foot to go, Alaniz had a bad exchange with the center, and the Bulldogs recovered with under seven minutes remaining in the game.

"I felt like I never got the snap. Something just happened," said Alaniz. "It's one of those things that shouldn't happen in that situation, and it was a key point in the game."

But not as vital as what would happen just moments later. Sinton defensive lineman Elias Rodriguez stripped Bulldogs running back Patrick Miller on the following possession, and recovered the ball for the Pirates at Burnet's 39. Sinton moved to within the 30, facing fourth and less than a yard again, this time with five-plus minutes remaining.

Pirates running back Julian Ruiz was swarmed and stuffed at the line, and the Bulldogs held again.

"I think that could've been the game-winner right there," said Burnet safety Luke Pell, who was all over the field for the Bulldogs. "They had their power backs in, and we had kind of heads-up on what the play might be, and we played our guts out."

Burnet, which entered the game averaging nearly 42 points per game, used a nine-play drive to kill the clock and tack on a final score. Miller notched his second touchdown of the game on an 8-yard carry with 48 second left in Sinton's season.

But the way Sinton's season ended had more to do with problems on fourth-and-short and finishing drives. On the Pirates' first drive of the game, after holding Burnet on fourth down, an incomplete pass on fourth-and-2 at Burnet's 10 marked the start of fourth-down futility for Sinton.

The Pirates drove into Burnet turf on their second drive, but kicker Jerry Jurach, just coming back after missing time with a staph infection, drilled the right upright on a 39-yard field goal attempt.

Sinton's defense held the Bulldogs for most of the game. A quick-strike five-play drive led to a Miller 11-yard scoring run on Burnet's second drive of the game.

The pass-happy Bulldogs caught a break in the second quarter, and stretched their lead to 13-0 when a wide-open Mason Templeton hauled in a 25-yard toss from quarterback Stephen McGee, picked up a critical block from Jordan Shipley and dove into the end zone.

But, until the final drive of the game, it was the best Burnet could muster against Sinton's stingy defense.

"We didn't get it done,' said Sinton defensive end Curt Jones, who had two sacks. "They came out in some sets we hadn't seen before and we lost focus, and didn't know what to do."

So, the Pirates took little solace in the fact they hindered the Burnet offense.

"A shutout would've been nice," said Schmidt, looking up at the scoreboard.

And, as it turned out, about the only thing that would've allowed Sinton to move on in the playoffs.

REGION IV-3A FINAL

Burnet 19, Sinton 7

Sinton0007 - 7

Burnet7606 - 19

B - Patrick Miller 11 run (Mason Templeton kick)

B - Templeton 61 pass from Stephen McGee (kick failed)

S - Brandon Salone 15 pass from Adrian Alaniz (Jerry Jurach kick)

B - Miller 8 run (pass failed)

Sinton, Burnet

First downs 13, 14

Rushes-yards 46-205, 27-159

Passes 6-16-1, 10-16-0

Yards passing 106, 187

Punts 3-30, 2-39

Fumbles-lost 2-2, 2-2

Penalties 5-39, 3-15

RUSHING - SINTON: Bubba Heard 15-105; Alaniz 15-62; Julian Ruiz 15-34; Salone 1-4. BURNET: Miller 16-138; Jordan Shipley 3-18; Cody Warner 2-8; Chris Levens 1-0; McGee 5-(-5).

PASSING - SINTON: Alaniz 6-16-1-106. BURNET: McGee 9-15-0-169; Shipley 1-1-0-18.

RECEIVING - SINTON: Chance Schmidt 2-67; Ruiz 2-18; Salone 1-15; Omar Rodriguez 1-6. BURNET: Templeton 2-84; Shipley 5-68; Thomas Ham 1-18; Warner 1-10; Miller 1-7.

Contact Lee Goddard at 886-3613 or goddardl@caller.com

Copyright 2002, Caller.com. All Rights Reserved.

oldcat1978
12-10-2002, 05:25 PM
I have been seeing several people pretty much writing off Everman for this game. Sure, they are all calling it a close game, but I really feel this could be an Everman win by at least 21 if the Everman team that has showed up for 12 of their 14 games shows up again. The Forney game was very similar to he Kennedale game as far as execution/mistakes are concerned. That is the only time all year that the offense made those kinds of mistakes. The Forney defense really never stopped Everman, they stopped themselves. Benton(QB) dropped the ball in the shotgun at least four times in the first half, including a critical third down play deep in Forney territory. The defense continued to play hard with only an occasional breakdown after that initial Forney possession. I really believe the aura of Texas Stadium had an effect early. I saw those kids walk into the home locker room and literally stand in awe at the lockers of cowboy players. Yea! Their minds were on the game at that time!! I don't think so. Anyway, I feel it will be something like Everman 35 Burnet 14 or 21.