PDA

View Full Version : Bridge City gets help from PNG/Nederland

bccards
10-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Bridge City is still in recovery mode. We used to play these teams when we were 4A in our district.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/local/kindness_trumps_madness_for_mid-county_football_fans_10-04-2008.html

Kindness trumps madness for Mid-County football fans
By SARAH MOORE
October, 4, 2008

NEDERLAND - It was one for the history books.

In the long tradition of fierce rivalry between high school football foes Nederland and Port Neches-Groves, no one could remember another time when fans on both sides came out wearing another team's colors.

But that's what happened Saturday night when Mid-County Madness became Mid-County Kindness.

Almost half the spectators on each side were decked out in Cardinal red, in support of Bridge City High.

It was a gesture of support for the city and school district that was so hard hit by Hurricane Ike.

The gesture will be backed by hard labor today as Mid-County residents and others gather for a clean-up day in Bridge City.

The effort was the brainchild of the First Baptist Church of Groves, said Jean Brown, who was handing out red T-shirts at the gate.

Sponsors had donated 10,000 T-shirts to be given away, the 46-year-old Groves resident said.

Wearing another team's colors to a high school football game might not seem like that big of a deal to some, but in a region where fans are said to bleed their team's colors, it's huge.

"That runs pretty deep," Brown said, adding that her parents had brought her to the games since early childhood.

As if to illustrate her point, a couple passed toting a baby all decked out in a big purple hair ribbon.

Brown laughed.

"See, I told you they brainwashed us early!"

Another purple-clad PN-G fan accepted a red shirt from her, saying, "I'll take one, but I can't wear it tonight."

As the pregame festivities commenced, the lighted board flashed the words, "You may have brought out the kindness, but you can't stop the madness" as the Scorpions' song "Rock You Like a Hurricane" blared over the PA.

Fans waved their red shirts to welcome Bridge City residents in attendance.

Longtime Nederland resident Ronnie Minaldi said he'd never seen anything like it in more than half a century of Mid-County Madness games.

The 70-year-old retired teacher said it showed the real regional unity that underlies the intense rivalry.

Minaldi, who wore a button-down shirt printed with a vintage car motif, said he didn't own a red shirt, but he planned to attend the cleanup day today.

He said he felt for the Bridge City residents.

"It's so sad to go down the road and see everything they own out on the curb," Minaldi added.

Many felt very strongly about the effort to help their neighbors.

Darlene Riley said it showed what big hearts Mid-County has.

"Southeast Texas has always taken care of their neighbors," the 37-year-old PN-G fan said.

Riley was one of those wearing red Saturday.

"It almost makes you want to cry," she said. "Seeing another city suffering like that tears out your heart."

Albert Schwarz, 73, has lived in Port Neches for only four years, but he has embraced his new community.

A bit of purple peeping out from under his red shirt, Schwarz explained that he used to be a volunteer firefighter and EMT.

"I can't do that anymore, but I want to do my part," he said. "I've always been a community helping person."

Some of those wearing their usual team's colors said it was because they just didn't have a red shirt.

Black-and-gold-clad Anita Smith of Nederland was one of these.

The 47-year-old accounting clerk said she'd been attending the game "forever."

She was proud to see the support for Bridge City.

"I think it's wonderful," she said. "We usually pull together in a crisis."

Port Neches resident Mary Wright, 76, wore the traditional purple.

Her grandson was playing Saturday night.

She was not a PN-G grad, but her husband and four children are and she knows how important the game is.

"This is the one to win," she said.

LH Panther Mom
10-05-2008, 10:43 PM
What an incredible story! I hope things are getting better for all in the area.

bccards
10-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Bridge City ISD returns to school, normalcy after Ike

Amy Moore
The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — Amidst the rubble in the neighborhoods, it was all smiles and school work Wednesday in Bridge City schools.

Almost four weeks after Hurricane Ike ravaged the small community, children found a bit of normalcy in returning to school.

“The kids are glad to be back and see their friends,” Kelly McBride, Bridge City Middle School prinicipal, said.

McBride met with all the students at the middle school Wednesday morning to let them know school counselors were on hand to help the kids deal with their Ike-related experiences.

“We’re really making them feel safe,” she said.

Most students arrived on campus before first period, McBride said, though the attendance numbers were down slightly.

Teachers who congregated in the hall said they were unsure about the handful of students who have not returned to school, whether the students would come back eventually or had moved out of the district.

McBride said she hopes to bring back all her students.

“We enrolled two new kids today,” she said on a positive note Wednesday.

One Port Arthur business wanted to lend a hand in making the transition back to school easier for Bridge City students and did so with a trailer full of backpacks.

“Academy asked how they could help and brought 1,400 backpacks for grades eight and below,” superintendent Jamey Harrison, said.

Brand new black Dickeys backpacks were handed out to students Wednesday morning.

“I’m from the area orginally and grew up here all my life,” Port Arthur Academy store manager Jen Veitch said. “I wanted to give back because the area got hit so hard.”

Veitch got in touch with the district and asked what was needed to help bridge the gap to recovery.

“Our corporate office is very helpful, they are all about the community,” Veitch said. “We just want everyone to know we have a lot to offer. We are very involved in donations and being a part of the community.”

Veitch said several of the Port Arthur store’s employees were affected by Hurricane Ike. In an effort to show their support for them, employees helped clean their homes and gathered a team for Mid-County Kindness.

“We just want to do what we can to help,” Veitch said.

McBride said the outpouring of support from surrounding communities has been overwhelming.

“You name it, they are sending it,” the principal said of the supplies from school districts, cities and organizations. “They are out here to help.”

McBride said she could tell the students were glad to be back in school.

“They are all smiling,” she said.