PDA

View Full Version : Cuero Gobblers vs Yoakum Bulldogs

44INAROW
10-05-2008, 11:52 AM
District 28 3A starts this Friday 10/10/08.

Cuero vs Yoakum @ Gobbler Stadium

Yoakum is coming off a good win over a previously undefeated Smithville team.
Cuero was idle last week after a dissapointing loss to a good La Vernia Bears team the week before.

Who wins and why?

Go Mean Green :)

Pudlugger
10-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Yoakum is improving and the Gobblers should not and probably will not take them lightly. This is especially so after getting a bloodied nose by La Vernia. The Gobblers will take it out on their area rival Yoakum and win by 2-3 tds.

Old Green
10-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Yoakum is improving and the Gobblers should not and probably will not take them lightly. This is especially so after getting a bloodied nose by La Vernia. The Gobblers will take it out on their area rival Yoakum and win by 2-3 tds. This is the 99th meeting of these two teams. One big Grudge match which pits friends, family, and co-workers kids against each other. Cuero holds a 64-28-6 edge in the series.:)

44INAROW
10-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
This is the 99th meeting of these two teams. One big Grudge match which pits friends, family, and co-workers kids against each other. Cuero holds a 64-28-6 edge in the series.:)

No doubt Old Green - quite a few teachers in Cuero are from Yoakum and vice-versa - (Gobblerfan02 lives in Cuero and teaches in Yoakum) One Cuero grad that is married to a Bulldog Grad made the cutest outfits for her little girls - they are green on one side and blue on the other - I think the front says Go Mean Green and the back says Go Big BLue something like that. Then during the games - they sit on the Cuero side for the 1st half and Yoakum the 2nd half ;)

Old Green
10-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
No doubt Old Green - quite a few teachers in Cuero are from Yoakum and vice-versa - (Gobblerfan02 lives in Cuero and teaches in Yoakum) One Cuero grad that is married to a Bulldog Grad made the cutest outfits for her little girls - they are green on one side and blue on the other - I think the front says Go Mean Green and the back says Go Big BLue something like that. Then during the games - they sit on the Cuero side for the 1st half and Yoakum the 2nd half ;) That's what makes it a fun game. All my folks are from Yoakum and Columbus. When we play them it's hard to route for anyone of the teams.

We started trash talking at the office right after the La Vernia loss:D

Old Green
10-05-2008, 01:12 PM
44inarow

Did you notice the scoreboard has been moved to it new location?
:)

ProudHornetMom
10-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Gotta support the Gobblers!

IHStangFan
10-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Yoakum might make it interesting very early on, but Cuero will roll.

Gobblers 45
Bulldogs 14

garciap77
10-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Gobblers!
:2thumbsup

44INAROW
10-05-2008, 05:45 PM
44inarow

Did you notice the scoreboard has been moved to it new location?
:)
dang, we just went past the school on our way back from Victoria but didn't notice.. I'll have to go check it out..........:p

JR2004
10-05-2008, 06:01 PM
That's what makes it a fun game. All my folks are from Yoakum and Columbus. When we play them it's hard to route for anyone of the teams.

We started trash talking at the office right after the La Vernia loss:D

Rivalry games like this are so much fun.

Old Green
10-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
dang, we just went past the school on our way back from Victoria but didn't notice.. I'll have to go check it out..........:p I hope it's working by game time Friday.

Old Green
10-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Rivalry games like this are so much fun. Yeah it is. Bragging rights for DeWitt county are at stake.;)

nunya
10-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Cuero, 40 - 17

CueroDad08
10-05-2008, 08:15 PM
If this weeks practice is as good as last weeks after that lose. It WILL be a 50 on the home side this week.

Nursebetty
10-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Old Green.......I sure hope the new scoreboard is running by Friday night. It's a nice one......and like you said, in a new location!

crabman
10-05-2008, 09:07 PM
It is a new scoreboard, not a relocated one. It was used on Thursday night for the Junior High games. It is some kind of bright.

KingRob
10-06-2008, 02:18 AM
Yoakum will come out swinging, but the Gobblers should take it....

Survey Says:

Cuero - 28
Yoakum - 14

LET'S GO CUERO!!
:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

TigerFan51
10-06-2008, 06:03 AM
I know I'm casting my vote for Cuero. I just don't believe they'll lose two weeks in a row...it ain't gonna happen.

Best of luck to the Gobblers...not that they'll need it! You guys always have an awesome team.

underware
10-06-2008, 08:50 AM
I did vote for Yoakum, since I always will. BUT it's hard for me to think they'll win. Yoakum has too many penalties and fumbles to be a serious contender for this game. Marion and Smithville were good teams and played well, both were 4-0. I will go to the game, but please tell the Cuero fans to sit on their side? It wouldn't be a problem if they could keep their snide comments to themselves, but they get ugly sometimes.

briefcase
10-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Expect this game to be much closer than many think especially if Yoakum does not turn the ball over. I say Cuero wins by 10.

bd62
10-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Yoakum is improving and should have a good chance of making the playoffs but Cuero will be very tough to beat because of there talent and winning tradition. Add to that there loss to Lavernia and that will make it tougher on the bulldogs. But like Old Green said this is allways a fun week because of all the family and friends in these two towns. Truely friendly rivals that play hard against each other and then wish each other the best the rest of season.

greenpride
10-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Nursebetty
Old Green.......I sure hope the new scoreboard is running by Friday night. It's a nice one......and like you said, in a new location!

New score board in Cuero? Can someone please post pic!!!!! Where did they relocate it to? Jumbotron!!!!!!!!!!! probably not............

44INAROW
10-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by greenpride
New score board in Cuero? Can someone please post pic!!!!! Where did they relocate it to? Jumbotron!!!!!!!!!!! probably not............

I'll see what I can do -

Pudlugger
10-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by bd62
Yoakum is improving and should have a good chance of making the playoffs but Cuero will be very tough to beat because of there talent and winning tradition. Add to that there loss to Lavernia and that will make it tougher on the bulldogs. But like Old Green said this is allways a fun week because of all the family and friends in these two towns. Truely friendly rivals that play hard against each other and then wish each other the best the rest of season.

:ditto:

29-3aFAN
10-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Cuero by 19

Old Green
10-07-2008, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by bd62
Yoakum is improving and should have a good chance of making the playoffs but Cuero will be very tough to beat because of there talent and winning tradition. Add to that there loss to Lavernia and that will make it tougher on the bulldogs. But like Old Green said this is allways a fun week because of all the family and friends in these two towns. Truely friendly rivals that play hard against each other and then wish each other the best the rest of season. BD62 . If you're in town friday around 12:00, lets do lunch at the BBQ Station. I'll buy:thumbsup: Maybe 44inarow can join us.:)

44INAROW
10-07-2008, 07:06 AM
BD62 . If you're in town friday around 12:00, lets do lunch at the BBQ Station. I'll buy:thumbsup: Maybe 44inarow can join us.:)

call me - I'll meet you'll if you go ;)

fourbeee
10-07-2008, 09:12 AM
This will be a lot closer game than most think. I know the La Grange folks don't have much respect for Yoakum after the "beating" they gave the dogs, but they are a different team than the one La Grange played. In that game, there were three defensive starters out. They made a big difference in the score, not saying La Grange wouldn't have one anyway, but who knows? Except for turnovers, this new team has really turned its season around and they continue to improve on both sides of ball each week. Unless something unforeseen happens this team will earn one of the playoff spots in this district. Whether they beat Cuero or not, they will be competive for the remainder of the year. Cuero will beat them by 3 touchdowns or more only if they lose the turnover battle, otherwise it could be close.
Cuero 35
Yoakum 31

nunya
10-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Cuero is usually at 80 percent for this game and its the only game Yoakum cares about regardless of playoff implications.

If Cuero played against Yoakum as it does against ranked opponents, it would be a cakewalk.

headhunter
10-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Cuero should have no problem beating Yoakum. Yoakum will play tough as everyone always does when they play Cuero, but they just don't have the athletes that Cuero does. IF Cuero opens up the passing game, I believe they can score almost every possession. It will be interesting to see if the Gobblers come out with any intensity and really feel that they need to make a statement after losing 2 weeks ago. I would like to see the defense step up and really play lights out.

Cuero 42
Yoakum 7

bulldogs_1975
10-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Man we got alot people that need to understand just because Cuero has been pretty good in the past ( I mean the last time I checked how many state titles in the past 10 years?) does not mean they are always just going to run over some team. Interesting that someone would say Cuero would only show up 80% and they still would kill Yoakum. If you could please call Cuero and tell them to leave that other 20% there for the first quarter and I guarantee you Yoakum will win this game. It is going to be closer than what people think if Yoakum can hang on to the ball. You know what is really scarey they have been averaging I think close to 400 yds total offense each week against some pretty good teams and with TURNOVERS imagine if they have ZERO turnovers what they could get. I am not going to predict a score in this one although I will say that Yoakum will be ready. Cuero need not come into this game thinking they are going to walk all over them or they could be in for a rude awakening.

44INAROW
10-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by bulldogs_1975
Man we got alot people that need to understand just because Cuero has been pretty good in the past ( I mean the last time I checked how many state titles in the past 10 years?) does not mean they are always just going to run over some team. Interesting that someone would say Cuero would only show up 80% and they still would kill Yoakum. If you could please call Cuero and tell them to leave that other 20% there for the first quarter and I guarantee you Yoakum will win this game. It is going to be closer than what people think if Yoakum can hang on to the ball. You know what is really scarey they have been averaging I think close to 400 yds total offense each week against some pretty good teams and with TURNOVERS imagine if they have ZERO turnovers what they could get. I am not going to predict a score in this one although I will say that Yoakum will be ready. Cuero need not come into this game thinking they are going to walk all over them or they could be in for a rude awakening.

bare in mind - 99% of the folks predicting a one-sided game in Cuero's favor ARE NOT FROM CUERO :p Believe me, the coaches and the players aren't taking anyone lightly...

Ingleside Fan
10-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by bulldogs_1975 Man we got alot people that need to understand just because Cuero has been pretty good in the past ( I mean the last time I checked how many state titles in the past 10 years?) does not mean they are always just going to run over some team.

The Gobblers will be very serious about this game! After losing thier last game they will have no mercy!:mad:

The odds are just against the Dawgs, they have only won 3 out of the last 18.:(

But there have been alot of upsets this year.

Good luck to both teams.

hookandladder
10-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Cuero, 48-10.

headhunter
10-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by bulldogs_1975

Yea I agree with 44inarow, I don't believe the kids or the coaches will take anyone lightly. Just look at the LaVernia game, the kids came out flat and they did not play with the fire they normally do. I would think Cuero would come out swinging right out of the gate. Cuero should win this game and they do have better athletes, if Cuero struggles in this game you can expect the natives to get very restless. Cuero needs to have a dominating performance and prove they are still the top dogs in region VI. Just my opinion.

HM33
10-08-2008, 12:46 PM
If Cuero plays anything like they did the past two games they will lose. Yeah we might have more athletes but athletes dont win the games, the team wins the games. Cuero has to come out and let everyone know they are a force this year. If not then I dont see Cuero getting to far this year. I want them to go all the way, cuz my little bro is a senior and I want him to have the same feeling I didnt knowing we made it to the state title game. But they have to put it in a higher gear.

headhunter
10-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Your right HM33, Cuero has to have all of its units clicking,defense, offense and the ever most important special teams. Also the coaches will have to make sure they are getting the most out of their athletes and have great game plans to continue to win games and make a run in the playoffs. The players will have to pull their weight as well. It is important for them to play at their highest level, play with lots of intinsity and, take care of their individual responsibilities. The entire team has to come together and I look for them to take a step in the right direction friday night.

CueroDad08
10-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Cuero will need to ajust upfront after some bad news. Cuero may have lost one of there best big guys today. (name edited for now....lhpm) A player was arested at school today after helping a friend in a fight.

briefcase
10-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Offensive lineman or defense or both? That is indeed sad news, but probably won't affect the outcome of the game as far as who wins. Cuero still wins by 10.

JT44
10-09-2008, 10:55 AM
probably the same kid that didn't stick around for the whole year last season. Hope not, he's got so much potential.:doh:

t-bird
10-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Is coach Burk still at Yoakum?

briefcase
10-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Yes, he started in late July of last year...this is his second year.

Boomer
10-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Cuero should come out swinging, not taking any team lightly. We will see if the coaches and players all learned their lesson. Cuero should win, but it needs to be a team effort.

And tradition! You can throw that out the window because the teams in the 70's and 80's can't win state in 2008. Tradition didn't help them win their last game. This team needs to play together and earn the respect. If they can do that, then Cuero will be a force in the playoffs!

It is sad to hear that ANOTHER good football player is in trouble. It happens every year.

t-bird
10-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by briefcase
Yes, he started in late July of last year...this is his second year.

Yeah, I'm good friends with his oldest son, he used to coach at Navasota some time ago.

44INAROW
10-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Gobblers starting district

It is the second longest rivalry in Texas high school football.

Cuero's Gobblers will host Yoakum's Bulldogs to open district Friday at 7:30 p.m. at Gobbler Stadium.

These two teams have met 99 times. However, records of available scores between the two schools give the Gobblers a 44-38-5 win-loss edge over the Bulldogs.

Cuero High School is shooting for its fifth straight district title with the start of conference contests this week. Cuero defeated Yoakum 49-13 last year. The last time the Bulldogs defeated the Gobblers was in 2001.

Cuero goes into this game with a 3-1 record having lost to LaVernia on Sept. 26 by the score of 21-6. The Gobblers were open last week and missed their third game of the season due to Hurricane Ike.

Yoakum holds a 3-2 record coming off a 23-14 win over Smithville last week. The Bulldogs kicked three field goals in the game along with two rushing touchdowns for the win.

Link (www.cuerorecord.com)

29-3aFAN
10-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Can someone post the JV/Frosh scores.

CueroDad08
10-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by 29-3aFAN
Can someone post the JV/Frosh scores.

JV
Cuero 36
Yoakum 0

Frosh
Cuero 30
Yoakum 14

29-3aFAN
10-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks

44INAROW
10-09-2008, 11:01 PM
way to go Gobbler Freshman and JV teams..... Let's hope the Gobbler Varsity makes it a clean sweep tomorrow night.....

GO MEAN GREEN :clap:

1stnurseryman
10-10-2008, 06:32 AM
7th Cuero White 22 Yoakum 22
Green 8 Yoakum 6
8th White 16 Yoakum 14
Green 22 Yoakum 6

1stnurseryman
10-10-2008, 06:35 AM
Sorry inthe 7th grade white game Yoakum had 0 points.

JT44
10-10-2008, 10:35 AM
a yoakum/cuero article
http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/894/story/334354.html

44INAROW
10-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Odds may be stacked against Bulldogs
Yoakum after upset in 98th meeting against Cuero

BY MIKE FORMAN - MFORMAN@VICAD.COM

Mark Reeve chuckled when told La Vernia was named the Class 3A Army Strong Team of the Week after upsetting Cuero.

“We don’t play anybody that hasn’t been wanting to upset us,” Reeve said.

No team enjoys beating the Gobblers more than long-time rival Yoakum.

The Bulldogs (3-2) will get the opportunity when they play Cuero (3-1) for the 98th time in today’s 7:30 p.m. District 28-3A opener at Gobbler Stadium.

Not many teams have defeated Cuero in Reeve’s six years as head football coach. The Gobblers have lost only four games in the regular season during Reeve’s tenure and nine overall. Cuero has a 23-0 record in district games under Reeve and has won 26 consecutive home games.

Cuero had an open date after its 21-6 loss to La Vernia knocked it from No. 2 to No. 9 in the state poll.

“I don’t have any concern about our kids’ confidence,” Reeve said. “I think part of the thing was we felt like we could just go out and play. We’re not that good of a football team that we can just show up and win. One of the things we learned from that La Vernia game is we’ve got to show up and play and we’ve got to play hard.”

Yoakum coach Dan Burk still considers Cuero the district favorite and hasn’t observed any fall off from last season when the Gobblers captured a 49-13 win over the Bulldogs.

“They are just as good as everybody thought they were,” Burk said. “They have size up front and speed in the backfield. (Tyler) Arndt has a great arm and (Robert) Armstrong is a heck of a threat at wide receiver. They are the same type football team as I’ve seen them in the past.”

Cuero has won six straight over Yoakum and has a 63-28-6 edge in the series that dates back to 1911. But neither coach is putting too much emphasis on the rivalry.

“It’s something that’s always talked about,” Burk said. “We want to approach it like the first district game. We want to execute offensively and defensively and do best what we do. I’m not worried about the rivalry. I’m worried about doing things right.”

“I think you’ve got to be careful,” Reeve said. “Football’s still about playing hard and executing. I think that’s one of the things that happens to teams. They get so high one week, they can’t play the next.”

Reeve has witnessed Yoakum make great strides in Burk’s second year as head coach.

The Bulldogs are coming off a 23-14 win over previously unbeaten Smithville. The difference was field goals of 40, 51 and 48 yards by quarterback William Markert.

“This is a good group of kids,” Reeve said. “They won the district when they were freshmen and they’re juniors this year. They’re certainly playing better. The (Greg) Hights kid is probably the best running back in district right now. Markert is a threat. He has been all the way coming up through the grades. That was a heck of a kicking display last week.”

Burk views the win over Smithville as another sign of his team’s maturation.

“We know we’re a better team if we cut out the turnovers and penalties that keep us from being where we want to be,” Burk said. “I know the kids are a lot stronger and a lot more familiar with the system. Last year, we couldn’t make any calls on the field. This year, it’s a completely different world.”

Cuero enters district play after a loss from the first time under Reeve and wants to avoid another first – two consecutive losses.

“Obviously there’s things you look at,” Reeve said. “That’s one of the reasons you play good people is to try and point out some of your weaknesses. You work on that. You do that all the time anyway because very seldom do you dominate all phases of the game. At this point in the season, I don’t think there’s anyplace you can look and say we don’t need to improve. Either you’re going to get better or get worse. You’re never going to stay the same.”

NOTES: The game will be broadcast on KBAR, 100.9 FM in Victoria, and KYKM, 92.5 FM in Yoakum and Hallettsville.

***Sorry JT44 - posted before I saw you posted it also...